Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I feel like combat in general gets a little too easy on Normal mode once you have enough RP and weapon levels to where you don't faint after three swings of a sword. But that might just be because I'm abusing the Longsword Rune Skill that hits about 10 times in a row if you use it against a boss.

If I do a second playthough, it'll be on Hard Mode and I'm restricting myself to Hammers. They're more satisfying to use anyway, especially when you smack someone across the level and they slam into a wall and slide down it. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Corridor posted:

I didn't explore all the dating options, but Daria seems to be the only HM/RF character I've seen who approaches romance like a grownup. There's one scene where she straight up tells you she's falling for you, and Micah is all OH UM JEEZ UH and she goes "Oh hush", kisses him on the cheek, and says, "Come see me again tomorrow." I was shocked.

That reminds me. In Daria's last request Micah starts angsting out about being a terrifying fluffy sheep monster, at least until Daria says, "you can come here if you ever feel alone." I just thought that was really sweet. :3:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

endolithic posted:

That reminds me. In Daria's last request Micah starts angsting out about being a terrifying fluffy sheep monster, at least until Daria says, "you can come here if you ever feel alone." I just thought that was really sweet. :3:

This reminded me of something else, regarding Karina. As in, she keep remarking under her breath about having sex with Micah. Not in those words, but she implies it shyly, repeatedly.

She says something like "You don't want to-", then blushes at the thought, when you tell her she can sleep in the bed and you'll find somewhere else to sleep, during the request where she stays in the Sharance tree.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThemeMusicC posted:

I feel like combat in general gets a little too easy on Normal mode once you have enough RP and weapon levels to where you don't faint after three swings of a sword. But that might just be because I'm abusing the Longsword Rune Skill that hits about 10 times in a row if you use it against a boss.

Is it the one where you lunge across really fast while swinging in an arc? Because that poo poo completely broken if you use it with a lance considering the reach the things have.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Yep, that's the one. Flash Strike, I think it's called. That and Naive Blade are almost always on my X and Y buttons, only being removed for Medipoison or Mediparalyze.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So, Rune Factory 3 question, is stepping on crops bad or does it not matter?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Benjamin Black posted:

So, Rune Factory 3 question, is stepping on crops bad or does it not matter?

It matters not. You may care for the middle veggie with impunity.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Jesus christ I haven't been this addicted to a game since Oblivion. I have not seen the sun. Somebody help me.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
So I'm trying to decide whether I want to get Grand Bazaar or Tale of Two Towns when it comes out. The two things I'm looking for in one or the other are 1) a goal that's implemented in the game, and 2) I'll actually be raking in the money for a reason. I've been playing Rune Factory 3, but getting money is just way too easy. I've been able to buy everything with just pink turnips. Say what you will about Harvest Moon DS, but at least there was some high-priced swanky poo poo you could work towards (not to mention completing the shipping bin).

Grand Bazaar looks like it'll take a while to get all the upgrades, plus there's the goal of upgrading the bazaar, and the time it takes to get some features seems well paced out. Will Tale of Two Towns be the same, or better in that regard?

Or maybe I should just get both, saving up for apartment crap be damned. :psyduck:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Benjamin Black posted:

Jesus christ I haven't been this addicted to a game since Oblivion. I have not seen the sun. Somebody help me.

Give in to the void, stop fighting.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

So I bought a 3DS recently and I wanted a portable Harvest Moon game to play. I loved Back to Nature but I have no experience in HM games since playing that on the PS1. Which is the best one on 3DS / DS? Should I just import Tale of Two Towns when it comes out? (I live in Europe). I hope the 3DS doesn't region-lock out DS games...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

StabMasterArson posted:

So I bought a 3DS recently and I wanted a portable Harvest Moon game to play. I loved Back to Nature but I have no experience in HM games since playing that on the PS1. Which is the best one on 3DS / DS? Should I just import Tale of Two Towns when it comes out? (I live in Europe). I hope the 3DS doesn't region-lock out DS games...

DS games should play regardless of region in 3DS systems.

The best DS game, not just Harvest Moon game but game in general, is Rune Factory 3, of course!

But if you want core Harvest Moon series, I'm not the best person to answer this. However, having heard some good things about Tale of Two Towns, I'm tentatively excited about that. It comes out on the 20th in North America, but I don't know about an EU release. Might have to import it.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Gamestop was saying September 13th for ToTT, not sure what happened to that. I'm pretty excited about it. Sounds like there's a lot more to do than in Grand Bazaar. I also hear it has the same annoying thing where you can only save when you go to bed :(

I've enjoyed Grand Bazaar thus far, but the characters aren't very involving unless you're like me and make up silly things about them (Daisy is the village idiot, so therefore she is my protagonist's destined bride! :downs:). The game's really nice looking and each season is well done, but it also feels like you run out of things to do once you reach the second year. The most fun for me so far is making jewelry and lots of sweet, sweet alcohol from the grape trees in my basement.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

nonnemaus posted:

I also hear it has the same annoying thing where you can only save when you go to bed :(

Can anyone confirm this? Because that's a no buy for me if it's the case. I am not dealing with my fields getting hosed up.

Save scumming is part of the HM experience GOD DAMMIT!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Can anyone confirm this? Because that's a no buy for me if it's the case. I am not dealing with my fields getting hosed up.

Save scumming is part of the HM experience GOD DAMMIT!

I can check later, but I'm pretty sure this is right - though you won't have your fields raped like they can be in RF3. I think you only lose stuff to a storm if you just planted it (during the storm)

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I think if you don't like your nice organized fields getting messed with RF3 is not for you because seriously there is no keeping your fields cleared of grass and branches. They just spawn like crazy.

I don't know how you're supposed to find time to keep it clean.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2011

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I actually stopped using weapon skills and moved on to spells like the 3rd dark one, which stunlocks poo poo and can be spammed indefinitely, and the 3rd earth one which is a big gently caress You to most bosses and enemies and hits a billion times. I also use Explosion against the tree boss in the last sharance dungeons which makes short work of him. Everything else except the legendary dragons get to eat an earth corkscrew. Of course, there isn't much that beats a really nice spear fully upgraded with legendary scales either.

Staff charge spells are also pretty insane, especially when you upgrade staffs with boss drops to cast boss spells. Most of them cost WAY too much RP to use, but I found the Grimoire death tornado charge to be moderate cost and really dangerous against slow enemies. Aquaticus also has really decent charge spells, water laser drones are pretty badass :cool: Fluffy scarf eliminates RP cost for a few staff spells but not the ones that consume 500ish RP, which is kind of lame.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 15, 2011

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I'm winding down RF3 and deciding between Karina and Pia. Along with Daria, they've been the funniest bunch of bachelorettes in the series. RAINBOW!!! The only other one I can remember as fondly was that drill haired rich girl in the first game who only wanted you to talk to her.

Then again, my memory isn't the best. Might just be nostalgia, but I still sort of miss the art and character design from the first game. I remember thinking they looked so mature, although I was comparing that to the chibi design from the old HM's.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So I'm in love with axes/hammers now that I found an awesome combo to do. If you do the dash attack where you spin around and then hold the button down, after the third hit release the button and you'll go straight into the ground pound attack without having to wait for the animation to end.

Massive aoe damage without using a rune attack.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Wells' anti-monster racism never gets old. Every time he complains about those "uppity monsters" I just know he's the kind of grandpa who forwards insane political emails to his family.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Not sure if it would result in field fuckage, but this part of the guide someone posted earlier implies that you can only save in ToTT when you go to bed. This is the part where I went aw poo poo, I'm buying it for alpacas.

Also I can't bring myself to use any weapon other than dual swords in RF3. That plus the light shield spells means you can deal damage so quickly the game lags, thus ensuring that you are never attacked. This made hard mode a little easy in a way that I do not regret.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

nonnemaus posted:

Gamestop was saying September 13th for ToTT, not sure what happened to that.
Amazon has it listed as September 20. Five more days, yay! Unless there are some unforeseen delays...

Is it sad that this is one of my most anticipated games in ages? There's something about a HM game that just sucks me in.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 15, 2011

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Wells' anti-monster racism never gets old. Every time he complains about those "uppity monsters" I just know he's the kind of grandpa who forwards insane political emails to his family.

The best part of this is that no one gives two fucks about Pia.

She's a living non sequiter.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Corridor posted:

The best part of this is that no one gives two fucks about Pia.
She's one of the good ones, not like those other monsters. I don't understand why they don't all get jobs and :words:

Also, some of my best friends are monsters, etc.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Benjamin Black posted:

I think if you don't like your nice organized fields getting messed with RF3 is not for you because seriously there is no keeping your fields cleared of grass and branches. They just spawn like crazy.

I really only ever bother to keep the immediate vicinity of my crops clear, to be honest :effort:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Oh yeah, what's the deal with monsters on farm duty losing health? I know they have to eat more, but the elephant I have loses health every day. I usually just run around and stuff him full of whatever herbs have grown, but is this something I'll always have to do?

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I only really use at the absolute most the first two rows of 9x9 squares for my farming needs. It mostly involves me wanting to make some food/medicine and then just planting enough so that I'll be able to make enough and also have 9 of each ingredient left over in my fridge.

The only except to the rule was when I started the game and was cooking up dozens upon dozens of Pickled Turnips so money in this game would never be an issue again.

I've never tried putting my monsters on farm duty. How does it work, exactly?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Oh yeah, what's the deal with monsters on farm duty losing health? I know they have to eat more, but the elephant I have loses health every day. I usually just run around and stuff him full of whatever herbs have grown, but is this something I'll always have to do?

Is it at level 10? They're usually okay once they hit that. If you're worried about them not finishing the field, get several of them to pull shifts. It usually takes 3 to water/harvest an entire field.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't think my monsters lose health when I have them doing work - but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Do you have any purple poison patches on your fields?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ThemeMusicC posted:

I've never tried putting my monsters on farm duty. How does it work, exactly?
Use the desk in the barn to assign them to a quadrant of the farm (you can also talk directly to the monster, but the desk is way easier and faster). They will water tilled land, harvest ripe crops, and clear basic clutter like weeds. Each monster on duty will eat an extra piece of grass per day. Every day they work, they will get more and more tired. You can keep them going by feeding them (cooked food is supposedly the best for this), but I prefer to rotate monsters instead.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I get the feeling I'm missing something with the equipment system. Leather Belt costs more than Secret shoes, but only gives +4 defense and +1 magic defense. Secret Shoes gives +20 defense. What am I missing that makes leather belt better?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

I get the feeling I'm missing something with the equipment system. Leather Belt costs more than Secret shoes, but only gives +4 defense and +1 magic defense. Secret Shoes gives +20 defense. What am I missing that makes leather belt better?

Probably the leather belts are used in more crafting recipes.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Benjamin Black posted:

Could be arbitrary, but have you pressed the L bumper when highlighting an item? It brings up a list of additional effects, so there may be something there.

This works on food items as well.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Actually, strange, the one in the shop was showing different stats. I found a leather belt and it's showing as +30 DEF.

Weird. Nevermind.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

Actually, strange, the one in the shop was showing different stats. I found a leather belt and it's showing as +30 DEF.

Weird. Nevermind.

Yeah stuff you find/create has somewhat random stats within parameters.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Benjamin Black posted:

Since you can just walk over crops, I find there's no reason not to till the soil with your hoe. It prevents random poo poo from appearing there, albeit random poo poo you might actually want, like bamboo or wood. It starts out tough to do, but as your farming skill increases, it costs less RP and gives you more RP and HP, so... I do it to cycle my crops and let them rest, not that I couldn't just plant out of season seeds and do better. It feels more farmy this way.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Rusk: "I hate potatos. They're coarse, rough and irritating."

Well that took me by surprise.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
So is there a way in Rune Factory 3 to see what additional effects a weapon may have on it? Like seeing if it causes poison damage or something? It doesn't seem like the L-trigger makes any note of it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Corridor posted:

Is it at level 10? They're usually okay once they hit that. If you're worried about them not finishing the field, get several of them to pull shifts. It usually takes 3 to water/harvest an entire field.

You mean friendship level? Not yet. I was wondering if that made a difference. I guess I could also take them out to level up if I wanted a bigger HP pool.

I'd get more monsters, but I don't have enough wood. I still want a bookcase dammit and the increased storage space took a pretty huge amount. I can't bring myself to not have a cow, chicken, and wooly at all times. Speaking of which, is there ever a time where you can shear a wooly and NOT have them hate you for it? I'm wondering why shears even exist if they drop a furball every day and shearing them drops their friendship level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Is there any chance of the PS3 port of Rune Factory Tides being bad? I just want the one with the best load times and not having to do a motion controller would be sweet.

• Locked thread