Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

Professorbx posted:

Very true. I can run Traktor 2 with 2 decks and FX just fine on a Macbook 2.1ghz Core 2 Duo with 4gb of ram, but to get low latency/sample decks/tons of FX at once, really, you need something decent. There are some great deals on last gen Intel i5 processor laptops, I would seriously consider your options there.
Holy poo poo you are right. I can get Gateway - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Ebony Black for under $500 after taxes. With some upgraded RAM that's a pretty nice option. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on mixing hip hop and grime?

I'm pretty new, and I've been trying to do a grime tenminmix. Problem is, the tracks I want to use have very, very few if not no points in time where the beat doesn't have vocals over it, so in/out loops are quite difficult, and the songs are in general quite busy, making slower EQ3 based transitions sound like poo poo most of the time. Mixing hip hop is obviously a completely different beast from trance or house, and I'm not sure where to start. I've been toying with hotcue juggling using a music game controller, which is one way to do things, but even then it still often feels messy and noisy. I have basically flawless buttonmashing rhythm/timing from over a decade of playing music games, but I am still struggling to learn how to pick the right hotcues to blend things smoothly.

Also, I have a few ideas for longer trancier mixes I've been playing with, but the way I want to do them involves each track being 3-5bpm faster than the next one, but everything lends itself to really gradual transitions. If I was doing it in ableton, I'd set the BPM to move up by 5bpm over the course of the entire song, which is unnoticeable, but I can't really do that live. What's a good way to handle gradually raising or lowering BPM over the course of a set without doing any cut transitions when working with faders live? Sometimes the songs have little drop points where I can do it unnoticed, but when they don't it's either really obvious or i'm using both hands to slide the pitch as slow as possible over the course of a minute and can't do much else.

dont eat a carb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good external sound card? I've been eyeing the Audio Kontrol 1 but don't really know what I'm doing. I may get one of those anyways because a friend is offering one to me cheap. v:shobon:v

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good external sound card? I've been eyeing the Audio Kontrol 1 but don't really know what I'm doing. I may get one of those anyways because a friend is offering one to me cheap. v:shobon:v

what are you gonna be using it for? Laptop? desktop?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Laptop with Live.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

dont eat a carb posted:

I'm pretty new, and I've been trying to do a grime tenminmix. Problem is, the tracks I want to use have very, very few if not no points in time where the beat doesn't have vocals over it, so in/out loops are quite difficult, and the songs are in general quite busy, making slower EQ3 based transitions sound like poo poo most of the time. Mixing hip hop is obviously a completely different beast from trance or house, and I'm not sure where to start. I've been toying with hotcue juggling using a music game controller, which is one way to do things, but even then it still often feels messy and noisy. I have basically flawless buttonmashing rhythm/timing from over a decade of playing music games, but I am still struggling to learn how to pick the right hotcues to blend things smoothly.

I'd check out the essential mix by Brodinski, there is some hip hop in the first 30 minutes or so that is well mixed.

In terms of grime I cant help you there. Never understood that genre.

quote:

Also, I have a few ideas for longer trancier mixes I've been playing with, but the way I want to do them involves each track being 3-5bpm faster than the next one, but everything lends itself to really gradual transitions. If I was doing it in ableton, I'd set the BPM to move up by 5bpm over the course of the entire song, which is unnoticeable, but I can't really do that live. What's a good way to handle gradually raising or lowering BPM over the course of a set without doing any cut transitions when working with faders live? Sometimes the songs have little drop points where I can do it unnoticed, but when they don't it's either really obvious or i'm using both hands to slide the pitch as slow as possible over the course of a minute and can't do much else.

Are you using CDJs? Hit the master tempo button to lock the pitch. Just gradually raise and lower the BPMs so they match. Usually meeting halfway is best.

No one will be able to tell that you raised the BPM by 2 or 3 over the course of 30 seconds. Raise the first track 2.5 and lower the second 2.5.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

dont eat a carb posted:

A number of the best grime mixes ever made -- which almost always include U.S. hip-hop -- tend to just backspin the end of songs, so I wouldn't worry about over-complicating it, particularly since attacking it straight only makes the genre come that much more alive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just poked around in a grime mix I have [Science Faction: Grime] and the transitions are mostly instant, super short or have a sound effect over them. Most rap songs have intro and/or outro segments.

Solution: airhorn.wav

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

qirex posted:

I just poked around in a grime mix I have [Science Faction: Grime] and the transitions are mostly instant, super short or have a sound effect over them. Most rap songs have intro and/or outro segments.

Solution: airhorn.wav

I guess I just need to get over feeling like it's a cop-out to do a cut transition, and just focus on picking the right pairings to make it shine.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

So I just got my Traktor Kontrol a couple weeks ago. This is my first foray into DJing. I've gotten pretty good at beat matching especially with phrasing and learning when to cut (respecting the choruses and whatnot). The thing is I blow at doing the cuts. With pop music where there are a lot of vocals, is there any good way to mix in/out? It seems like I can only really do it near the intros/outros which kind of softens the flow a little.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Make sure all of your faders are set to as sharp as possible, basically to the point where it's just an on/off switch and not a fader. That will help.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Make sure all of your faders are set to as sharp as possible, basically to the point where it's just an on/off switch and not a fader. That will help.

This, and sweeps or filters will make it not seem as abrupt. Practice what works well.

This Saturday I will be doing my first major gig in a while, and it's also great because it's a full on electro show and its encouraged to not play an endless stream of top 40 remixes. I will be provided a set of 1200s, CDJ 2000s and a DJM 800 :fap:.

I'm pretty excited to blow some people's faces off.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Irish Thunder posted:

So I just got my Traktor Kontrol a couple weeks ago. This is my first foray into DJing. I've gotten pretty good at beat matching especially with phrasing and learning when to cut (respecting the choruses and whatnot). The thing is I blow at doing the cuts. With pop music where there are a lot of vocals, is there any good way to mix in/out? It seems like I can only really do it near the intros/outros which kind of softens the flow a little.

Use what the other dudes are saying, and echo out is a great effect for music like that.

Or a back spin.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

oredun posted:

Use what the other dudes are saying, and echo out is a great effect for music like that.

Or a back spin.

If you actually could pull off a backspin on the S4. Seriously, it doesn't work, which is just strange as it works on all other NI-approved HID devices (Pioneer, etc).

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
If anyone in the bay area is looking to buy 2xCDJ-200's and a numark dxm09 w/ a cofin in perfecting working condition send me a PM. They are really cheap, but I want to sell it as a package hopefully ($600). Also has to be local which is why I'm not posting this in SA mart.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Since I'm waiting for my new headphones to arrive (http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/ul_dj1pro.php) lets talk headphones. Should I have bought different 'phones? I'm upgrading from Sennheisser HD 215s which are apparently eh but I was really happy with for 5 years. I was torn between the A&H DX53 (non replaceable cable, bleh), Audio Technica ATH M50 and the Ultrasones. Pioneer was too pricy.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I have the Ultrasones as well as the AIAIAI TMA-1s. I like the TMA-1s better so those stay in my DJ bag. The Ultrasones are good but I find that they can't handle higher volume as well as the TMA-1s, so they stay at home.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
I have a Powerbook G4. 1.67ghz, 1gb of RAM (I'll be doubling that soon but drat is old RAM expensive), 80gb, etc. It's running Max OSX 10.5.8 I think, the most recent edition of OSX that supported PPC architecture.

I've finally got another computer so I want to give this thing a good life as a DJ setup. I've been using it for 3-4 months with Mixxx and some Korg nano gear which has been great but after a few hours at it, it'll occasionally stutter and Mixxx isn't really the best software. Although it is very good for the basics, and runs on PPC!

What version of Ableton should I be looking to use with it? What version of OSX should I be looking to use with it? If it's just going to be used to DJ is there stuff I can do to strip any useless processes out and get it as efficient as possible?

I don't really do any intensive stuff, my regular gig is once a week I play indie/soul/electro for quite a while. I usually stick it on auto mix for the first few hours and do it properly from 11-4. I've got another gig starting soon which is going to be soul/funk/jazz so neither of those require insane technology but I want it to be running as well as it can.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You'd be better off throwing that thing in the trash. None of the recent versions of DJ software support PowerPC. Even if they did, you're screwed because I don't think that CPU meets even the most minimum of requirements.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
A PowerPC-Mac is pretty drat oldskool by now, but if it's the best you can do, stick with Ableton Live 6 and OS-X Tiger, that should run pretty fine on it as long as you stay with playing wave files (and it doesn't support MP3) and don't get crazy on the FX. But for very little money should be able to buy a used low spec intel coreduo/core2duo, which opens up loads more of possibilities software-wise.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

mitztronic posted:

If anyone in the bay area is looking to buy 2xCDJ-200's and a numark dxm09 w/ a cofin in perfecting working condition send me a PM. They are really cheap, but I want to sell it as a package hopefully ($600). Also has to be local which is why I'm not posting this in SA mart.

gently caress, too bad you're not in Canada :( I'd snag that up without a moments hesitation. Good luck selling!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I just played a set at Louisiana's longest running weekly, Bassbin Safari.

Here's the vast majority of my set, lots of Future Bass, UK Funky, Juke, and a little bit of jungle :

http://www.mediafire.com/?d6rn1ubf14seumh

tracklist:

Girl Unit - IRL (French Fries remix)
Champion - lighter
Marcus Price & Carli - Mat, Bira, Kvinnor, Weed (Kingdom Remix)
Warrior One - bad like jimmy cliff
T. Williams - in the deep (zander hardy remmix)
Bambounou - Nappy heard (French Fries Remix)
Savage Skulls - Caravan (Jacques Greene Remix)
Littlefoot - Faceless
Femme En Fourrure - Femdom
Bad Autopsy - Rotpot
FATASTIC MR FOX - over
DOM HZ - Funky Boy
VVV - back to life
CLICKS & WHISTLES - RAW PASSION
RESKETCH - Give it Them
DJ ROC - No Chance
Africa HiTech - Out in the Streets
DJ CLAP - I want you
Phillip D Kick + Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (footwork edit)
DJ Spinn - Lol
DJ Diamond - I choose you
Chrissy Murderbot - Braaain
Munchi - Mi Ta Bek
Slick Shoota - Pussyclot Funk Dem
DJ Spinn - Feelin' You
Phillip D Kick + Adam F - Circles (footwork edit)
Chrissy Murderbot Ft. DJ Spinn - Bussin Down
D'Cruze - Lonely

I used traktor with no cue cause thats how I roll when I play digital.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
I was looking into the price of Traktor licenses a bit ago, and came across a pretty amazing deal I ended up clicking buy on.

For this month only, if you buy a Kontrol X1 ($230), you get a Traktor 2 Pro license ($230) for free.

So instead of just buying Traktor Pro, I got a Kontrol X1 and Traktor for the same amount I was expecting to pay.

:krad:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-x1/double-deal/

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mstrkrft posted:

gently caress, too bad you're not in Canada :( I'd snag that up without a moments hesitation. Good luck selling!

I'd have no problem shipping it but I have no idea how much it would cost to ship all 80 pounds of it or however much it weighs, especially internationally. I guess if you wouldn't mind paying the shipping then I wouldn't mind doing it, although I don't know if it would still be a good deal at that point.

e: also there's no way for you to try them out and I'd hate to sell someone some gear they find out they don't like (to each his own)

Warrior Bob
Dec 16, 2004
butt
A local fellow is selling two Technics 1200 MK2's for $300. One of them appears to be in decent shape, but the other one looks pretty beat up - the feet are broken/missing, the plastic cover is broken, the platter is filthy, and that's just what I knew to look for. Apparently they've been sitting in his garage for something like 15 years. I'm certainly interested in the working one.

$300 still strikes me as a decent price for one working 1200, based on reading through this thread and what I remember from the previous thread. Does that sound about right? Would I be making any obvious mistake? I'm very new to this so I don't have a good sense for the market.

If it matters, I live in a small town and non-guitar gear doesn't show up on Craigslist very often.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

dont eat a carb posted:

I was looking into the price of Traktor licenses a bit ago, and came across a pretty amazing deal I ended up clicking buy on.

For this month only, if you buy a Kontrol X1 ($230), you get a Traktor 2 Pro license ($230) for free.

So instead of just buying Traktor Pro, I got a Kontrol X1 and Traktor for the same amount I was expecting to pay.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-x1/double-deal/

This deal went through for me, and I'm just gonna vouch on my experience.

I bought the X1 from NI, and then printed my receipt to a PDF and submitted it. I had a T2 Pro serial and download link within 12 hours. After installing and activating it, it took exactly 24 hours to get the voucher for a free sample deck overlay for the X1. The X1 actually shipped the day I ordered it despite doing so very late, and surprised me by showing up yesterday (with a sample deck overlay already in the box, so now I'll have two). aaaand then I registered the X1, got a voucher for $30 off my next NI purchase, and bought the X1 hard case / stand for onlt $15 thanks to that.

NI is good.

e: also the X1 is a solid, greatly put together piece of kit with nice buttons and pots.
a++++ would bid again etc

dont eat a carb fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 18, 2011

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Warrior Bob posted:

A local fellow is selling two Technics 1200 MK2's for $300.

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat? Everything I've seen and heard says to get SL-1200's, and I do live in a large metro area where they pop on craigslist fairly often, but at $700-$1200 a pair depending on which version, but I keep looking at turntables with pitch adjustment on Amazon for cheaper and wondering if it makes sense or not.

Also keep looking at eBay which is probably a bad idea as well…

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

fordan posted:

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat? Everything I've seen and heard says to get SL-1200's, and I do live in a large metro area where they pop on craigslist fairly often, but at $700-$1200 a pair depending on which version, but I keep looking at turntables with pitch adjustment on Amazon for cheaper and wondering if it makes sense or not.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Stanton STR8-150s, some people saying they're way better than the Technics 1200s. The thing is, everybody knows about the Technics, there's lots of people with tons of experiences troubleshooting any issue you could possibly ever have or imagine, and they have always had a solid reputation as the table of choice. There are better turntables out there, but Technics are the most established ones, and if you ever have an issue, you'll have a much easier time getting them repaired compared to trying to repair another brand of turntable that aren't as recognized.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

fordan posted:

Other options include the above mentioned Stantons, or Vestax PDX 3000 I think, or the Numark TTX/500. I have a pair of the Numark TT500s and I'm happy with them, but I can't speak for their longevity because they simply haven't been around long enough (Owned for about 3 years now).

basically this, over and over:

quote:

There are better turntables out there, but Technics are the most established ones, and if you ever have an issue, you'll have a much easier time getting them repaired compared to trying to repair another brand of turntable that aren't as recognized.

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 18, 2011

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

fordan posted:

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat?

I really like Vestax decks a lot. I picked up a pair of PDX-A1s for $100 recently. They're built like tanks and have much higher torque than 1200s. If you can find any of the PDX series decks for a decent price, you should definitely pick them up.

Also, the "Super OEM" decks, like the Stanton STR8-150s, are quite well-liked though I've never used them. But yeah, like someone else mentioned, get Techs if you're serious about djing out with vinyl as most anywhere you go is going to have a pair.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

dont eat a carb posted:

That is a drat good deal, thanks for posting, been looking to offload my Numark Stealthcontrol for an X1, and now it looks like I may be pulling the trigger on a new X1 sooner rather than later, though I have been hearing rumors of an X2 coming out in the near future, anyone else heard any internet rumoring on this?

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
The X1 is absolutely not a replacement for the Stealthcontrol - you would use it next to the Stealthcontrol to add more interfaces.

see: what i do with my herc rmx:

You might be thinking of the Kontrol S4, which is $900 - or the very recently released cut-down mobile version, the Kontrol S2, which is $700 (both of which come with Traktor Pro 2 by default)

The X1 is a very different thing and will definitely not be seeing any overhauls anytime soon.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dont eat a carb posted:

That's a fantastic deal, thanks! Now if only they'd have a sale on the S4 too...

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
I'm looking to grab a turntable for getting into some turntablism - but also my partner and I would want to use it for general listening. Stanton str8150 seems like the most likely option right now.

Wanted to check that the DJ style turntables still good for general listening - sound quality wise?

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Nindoze posted:

I'm looking to grab a turntable for getting into some turntablism - but also my partner and I would want to use it for general listening. Stanton str8150 seems like the most likely option right now.

Wanted to check that the DJ style turntables still good for general listening - sound quality wise?

Of course. If you really want to you could even try buying a different cart specifically for listening but I'm sure any old cartridge will work.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Rad, thanks.. so for getting into turntablism - mainly scratching, are there any cheaper decent options than the stanton str8150 I had my eye on - or is going cheaper inadvisable for that kind of stuff?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Nindoze posted:

Rad, thanks.. so for getting into turntablism - mainly scratching, are there any cheaper decent options than the stanton str8150 I had my eye on - or is going cheaper inadvisable for that kind of stuff?

You're going to want a direct drive turntable with a lot of torque. Asides from the Stanton and Technic turntables, I recall Numark's TT500s & TTX (discontinued) being really good. The Vestax PDX series is also pretty good. A lot of turntablist guys use that.

I would personally go for the Stanton turntables, but I'm also biased because I own STR8-150s.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Firaga posted:

Toronto, everybody here is a DJ. When I say everybody I mean everybody.

I'm a little late but this is hella scary and discouraging to hear. I don't think I'm good enough, even playing accessible crap like Dubstep.

I wasn't really sure whether to ask this in this thread, the Ableton thread, or the general 'electronic/club/DJ music' thread, but here goes - as it's mostly a 'Traktor' question.

I've got a problem using Traktor as a tempo master for other devices. Basically, I'm running a two-computer system at home for some bedroom mixes with a lot of options for effects, beat/loop-dropping etc. - it's still very rough and constantly being honed but so far I've got Traktor and Maschine on a laptop, and Live on my desktop, with my S4 spitting out all the relevant sync data into a MIDI Thru-box that sends to the Maschine and to the other computer's audio interface for Live - I find this more reliable than internally using the 'virtual Traktor output' (between Traktor and Maschine) for some reason. ANYway, that's not really the issue.

Live on the desktop is taking in Traktor/Maschine's audio output mostly to just record the set, at this point, but there are other things going on - particularly a chain of Beat Repeats and an FX loop out to my KP3 for some general 'master FX' and 'ridiculous Skrillex noises' should I want to use any of that. Maschine (on the same laptop as Traktor) was initially purchased for 'random sample drops', e.g: annoying airhorns, etc., but I've found the ability to record loops on the fly quite satisfying and useful.

The problem is, sometimes if a set is causing Maschine to be off-beat by X-number of beats (for whatever reason - song intro a bar long, straight-up gently caress-up in mixing, movie sample drop to open set for irregular # of beats), I want to hit the Traktor keystroke I have to re-send the sync signal - which resets Maschine's loop transport to align, as long as it's sent just before the downbeat of the right bar. No matter what way I cut it, hitting said 'sync' button in Traktor before the downbeat ALWAYS causes Live to restart its transport, and if it is recording, to stop recording. Naturally, I don't loving want that.

All of my questions/issues seem to be really long-winded. Sorry. What this really comes down to is this:
1. Is there a way to make Live interpret Traktor's 'SYNC' signal differently, such that its transport doesn't re-set and kill recording?
2. Is there a way to reset Maschine's loop transport (to 1.1.1) without hitting Traktor's 'SYNC' button? Even with the new update, 1.7.1 IIRC, it doesn't seem like the 'RESTART' button works in external sync mode.
3. Am I SOL, and should probably just use a third-party software or external piece of gear to record my sets?

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Nindoze posted:

Any of the Vestax PDX series (as I said in an earlier post, you can find the A1/A1s for $50-$100 each these days). I started on PDX-A1s and have since moved to 1200s but the Vestax decks are tanks. Better torque than a 1200 and a wider pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone know of some good videos that show a decent DJ playing a live set, but where the footage focuses on their hands (i.e. what they are doing with their equipment) and their computer monitor?