Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Got elected Chief of State, I'm not kidding.

Okay, I need to hear more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

He's joking, its just a continuation of "Daala as chief of state? What could be more ridiculous."

At least I hope he is. :eng99:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Abeloth gets nearly defeated by the leader of the Lost Tribe after he hurts her feelings. Shortly thereafter she absorbs a newly minted Senator who everyone seems to love because she freed her people from slavery. She then infiltrates Coruscant with a bunch of Lost Tribe defectors, gains widespread support through political machinations, kills the interim Chief of State, and gets elected herself. This was after seemingly convincing all the Jedi to leave Coruscant because of some stupid plot point, but Luke knowingly goes along with it to set a trap for her.

It's really really stupid, and it sucks that I have to wait till April to see how they're going to tie up this trainwreck.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Casimir Radon posted:

Abeloth gets nearly defeated by the leader of the Lost Tribe after he hurts her feelings. Shortly thereafter she absorbs a newly minted Senator who everyone seems to love because she freed her people from slavery. She then infiltrates Coruscant with a bunch of Lost Tribe defectors, gains widespread support through political machinations, kills the interim Chief of State, and gets elected herself. This was after seemingly convincing all the Jedi to leave Coruscant because of some stupid plot point, but Luke knowingly goes along with it to set a trap for her.

It's really really stupid, and it sucks that I have to wait till April to see how they're going to tie up this trainwreck.

I refuse to believe that this happened, but am too afraid to check Wookiepedia to confirm.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
. . .

Nothing says Star Wars more than that.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Suenteus Po posted:

I refuse to believe that this happened, but am too afraid to check Wookiepedia to confirm.

I did check Wookiepedia to confirm and either overlooked it or saw nothing of the sort.

I...I want to (not) believe. :ohdear:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

I did check Wookiepedia to confirm and either overlooked it or saw nothing of the sort.

I...I want to (not) believe. :ohdear:
See: Rokari Kem

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Goddammit. :eng99:

Its pretty much a given how it ends though. A final confrontation between the Jedi and force cthulhu + loyal sith. A handful of nameless jedi (of which there seem to be plenty) die along with a few minor named characters to show everyone we're serious. Force cthulhu is defeated, Vestara stays good, she and ben hook up thus continuing the skywalker line (not to mention skywalker tradition of falling for former dark siders) and guaranteeing that we get Emo Skywalker in 100 years or whatever.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 15, 2011

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

I assumed this was typical over thought sentimental Deviant Art stuff when I noticed the date of 1980.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Well, it definitely LOOKS like 70s/80s record album art.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Oh the idea that being part machine makes your "power level" go down? I'll buy that.

Force = mass * acceleration

Mass before limbs got cut off > Mass after limbs got cut off and replaced with lightweight yet durable metal prosthetics

Ergo:
New Force = new mass * acceleration
New Force < Force

That's my justification anyways.

WebDog posted:

I assumed this was typical over thought sentimental Deviant Art stuff when I noticed the date of 1980.

Looks pretty :gay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assumed the Vader mutilation thing was more about having been mutilated and mangled and the weakening of the organism it would cause, rather than being literally 'body mass = force potential.' Like I don't think Anakin's cyber arm was a particular weakness (except that as a sith he wouldn't have been able to shoot force lightning from it) while the presumably much more profound and poorly treated injuries would be an issue.

Also, doesn't Palpatine always complain about how he has this giant crippled black cock as an apprentice and tries to replace Vader repeatedly throughout the EU? Hell, in a sense he does it in ROTJ, if I recall.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I put up a new Star Wars: The Clone Wars thread, in the vain hope that George had to focus all his energy into loving up the Blu-Rays, so he ignored the series and we get less Fantasy Force-balancing planets with "it was all a dream"-endings.

Series starts Friday, 8 pm.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
I think where the whole being part machine hurts jedi power comes from is the original theory that the force is life, all around us, so organic things basically. And by cleaving organic parts of yourself off and replacing them with soul-less metal you now have either less control over the "living force" or less "force within you" due to being less alive.
Reading that back to myself it sounds pretty confusing and shittily written, but I'm sure you get the gist of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

That is loving ridiculous.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

One would assume that Anakin would have lost a whole lot of blood while he was being burned alive, and lost even more during surgery. His MIDICHLORIANS were in that blood, dude. When he lost that blood, he lost his midichlorians. That's why he lost his power.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WebDog posted:

Love the eye lasers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
You fuckers are still falling into the trap of accepting that the ability to use the Force has anything at all to do with the condition of your body.

And midi-chlorians? Really?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 15, 2011

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
While I don't accept it a bunch of books do :spergin: out on how Darth Vader can't use Force Lightning because he doesn't have the living tissue to channel his powers through and that less tissue = less midichlorians.

After that quote of Guiness' I'm starting to think he talked George into perverting Star Wars after the first three movies so that nobody over the age of 12 could like the franchise without already being a weirdo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

arioch posted:

You fuckers are still falling into the trap of accepting that the ability to use the Force has anything at all to do with the condition of your body.

There appears to be at least some degree of connection to an organic entity. After all, otherwise you could build a Force-using droid.

Has that been done :(

That said I do like the theory that the main thing holding Vader back in general (as opposed to specific effects like Sith lightning hands - I think that's a fair do if you can't use a custom spell of some kind) was that he'd gotten psychologically rear end hosed, not so much that he was borged up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Nessus posted:

There appears to be at least some degree of connection to an organic entity. After all, otherwise you could build a Force-using droid.

Has that been done :(

That said I do like the theory that the main thing holding Vader back in general (as opposed to specific effects like Sith lightning hands - I think that's a fair do if you can't use a custom spell of some kind) was that he'd gotten psychologically rear end hosed, not so much that he was borged up.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

arioch posted:

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midichlorian count that high. :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

arioch posted:

You get kinda mad about Star Wars it seems.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why do Ewoks even have eyes that need to blink? They are loving aliens. They aren't humans. Maybe they have natural dry alien eyeballs drat it. That's why the blinking is bad. Obviously George knows the inner biology of an Ewok's eye and up until this point we, as the viewers didn't. Thanks for the help big guy.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

arioch posted:

I was being entirely facetious :downsrim: Honestly I love the typical science-fiction parts of Star Wars far more than the whole Force/Jedi thing. It was done right in the OT and very few EU books, now it's just ridiculous. Kind of like how Galaxies just went straight to hell after everyone was a Jedi.

SymfonyMan posted:

Why do Ewoks even have eyes that need to blink? They are loving aliens. They aren't humans. Maybe they have natural dry alien eyeballs drat it. That's why the blinking is bad. Obviously George knows the inner biology of an Ewok's eye and up until this point we, as the viewers didn't. Thanks for the help big guy.

Just makes them creepier looking in my opinion. Can't wait for my BDs to show up so I can play the "drink everytime Jorge hosed something up" drinking game! :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

movax posted:

I was being entirely facetious :downsrim: Honestly I love the typical science-fiction parts of Star Wars far more than the whole Force/Jedi thing. It was done right in the OT and very few EU books, now it's just ridiculous. Kind of like how Galaxies just went straight to hell after everyone was a Jedi.

Just makes them creepier looking in my opinion. Can't wait for my BDs to show up so I can play the "drink everytime Jorge hosed something up" drinking game! :allears:

"Man holds Star Wars party, ten dead from alcohol poisoning"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SymfonyMan posted:

And 95% of aliens in Star Wars are bipedal humanoids without the fallback that Star Trek uses to justify it. It's a weird thing to get upset about beyond "Rarr CGI"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RagnarokAngel posted:

And 95% of aliens in Star Wars are bipedal humanoids without the fallback that Star Trek uses to justify it. It's a weird thing to get upset about beyond "Rarr CGI"

Again, I think the main source of irritation is the sheer superfluity of such a change. Why bother? Why change such a tiny, unnecessary detail? I feel that it's just a strategy to sell me a "changed" version of a movie that is basically the same, but with more unnecessary crap added to it. I don't appreciate that.

Lucas has the means to make meaningful changes to his movies. And there are billions of suggestions for fixes, e.g. the pink lightsabers. But instead they "fix" the Ewok's eyelids and then go "Here, buy this, it's different from what you already own".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

But instead they "fix" the Ewok's eyelids and then go "Here, buy this, it's different from what you already own".

And we keep buying them, because we're like battered wives. "He didn't mean it, I love him! It was my fault!" Really I just want Star Wars on BluRay which is why I bought it, changes or no changes. Will I buy the inevitable second BluRay release? Probably not.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Really I just want Star Wars on BluRay which is why I bought it, changes or no changes.
How could you? :mad:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just noticed a post on the Rock Paper Shotgun blog, LucasArts is looking for programmers and designers for a new project.

Ones with skills with aviation sims. Please god let this be it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's just gonna be Starfighter 3.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Probably Red Tails: The Game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Phylodox posted:

Probably Red Tails: The Game.

I thought that too but apparently they want someone who has "Experience with flight sims, aerial shooters and "especially space-based shooters" is considered "a plus"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-lucasarts-making-aerial-combat-title

Here's to watching my dreams get crushed :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In a horrible twist, It will be a Star Wars space fighter sim but based on the boring ships from the prequals nobody gives a gently caress about.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

SeanBeansShako posted:

In a horrible twist, It will be a Star Wars space fighter sim on rails but based on the boring ships from the prequals nobody gives a gently caress about.

Fixed for you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

In a horrible twist, It will be a Star Wars space fighter sim but based on the boring ships from the prequals nobody gives a gently caress about.

arioch posted:

They'll just miss the point and make it with all Clone Wars era ships that nobody gives a poo poo about because there's a new dozen every episode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Fixed for you.

I would frankly rather have another Rebel Assault than most of the stuff that Lucasarts has poo poo out over the last decade or so. And I didn't like Rebel Assault much.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If it was clone wars based, I would un-ironically love the poo poo out of a Tie Fighter Sim type game with this

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aggressive_ReConnaissance-170_starfighter

Everything else can gently caress off though.

Also, I really wish someone would make a bridge commander type game like Star Trek got all those years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the Clone Wars Y-Wing is really cool :smith: :kiddo: