Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

baka kaba posted:

You probbbbably got some bloatware with the laptop, but if you don't have that installed (you might need the driver too) you could try something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5806458/chronolapse-creates-time-lapse-videos-using-your-screen-or-webcam
Probably more than you need, maybe some of it will help with what you want to do though. There are some online things too like these and DailyBooth

Thanks very much - that was helpful. The problem was the usual crappy app wasn't there!

While I'm here, I've just moved to Windows 7 from my old MacBook which I had for years and there are two features I'm trying to replicate, Spaces and Hot corners.

I've found numerous pieces of software that can replicate each one but not that work together. So if anyone has experience with HotCorners, Dexpot, Macomforter, DeskSpace I'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

What I want to happen is to flick my cursor into a corner and then it opens a 'full view' of all the desktops.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How does windows 7 see and use ntfs permissions on a bootable os drive from another pc that is plugged in as a secondary drive?

I'm working on recovering some data from a laptop drive that went partway bad (halfway boots, screen goes black hangs, drive has started clicking a couple times.)

I have the drive plugged into my win 7 PC with a usb adapter, I opened up explorer and was going to copy the guys profile directory from the bad drive but it popped up a dialog "you currently don't have permissions to read this directory...something about grant your self permission" I clicked continue without thinking, it granted me the permissions and I can read the dir now. (copying from it currently)

I'm googling this and finding a lot of people having problems getting the permissions and how to manually set them (the link below) but that's not my problem, it's working for me I just want to know how to make it work differently.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18693-you-dont-currently-have-permission-access-fold.html

What's bothering me about this is that is a whole lot of writing changing security info on thousands of file on a partially bad drive. It took about 5 minutes to get permissions done and I know writing to a bad drive decreases chances of recovery.

I've done this plenty on XP without ever seeing anything like that, xp seemed to ignore permissions on drives from other pcs in every case of me doing that at least. And really what good is having windows 7 start to enforce those permissions if it just gives you a chance to bypass them anyway?

Way to change that or should I just use an XP machine to recover data from other XP machines?

Data recovery for me isn't exactly booting a linux bootdisc to make a forensic image and hex editing the files out of that, we have service level agreements with our client that the data recovery part of; I'm pretty sure I'm going above and beyond already. They're given the option to send it to pros who'll hexedit the gently caress out of their drive and cost center. Hell this post is probably 10x the :effort: my boss would want me putting into this.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 14, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Wagonburner posted:

How does windows 7 see and use ntfs permissions on a bootable os drive from another pc that is plugged in as a secondary drive?

I'm working on recovering some data from a laptop drive that went partway bad (halfway boots, screen goes black hangs, drive has started clicking a couple times.)

I have the drive plugged into my win 7 PC with a usb adapter, I opened up explorer and was going to copy the guys profile directory from the bad drive but it popped up a dialog "you currently don't have permissions to read this directory...something about grant your self permission" I clicked continue without thinking, it granted me the permissions and I can read the dir now. (copying from it currently)

I'm googling this and finding a lot of people having problems getting the permissions and how to manually set them (the link below) but that's not my problem, it's working for me I just want to know how to make it work differently.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18693-you-dont-currently-have-permission-access-fold.html

What's bothering me about this is that is a whole lot of writing changing security info on thousands of file on a partially bad drive. It took about 5 minutes to get permissions done and I know writing to a bad drive decreases chances of recovery.

I've done this plenty on XP without ever seeing anything like that, xp seemed to ignore permissions on drives from other pcs in every case of me doing that at least. And really what good is having windows 7 start to enforce those permissions if it just gives you a chance to bypass them anyway?

Way to change that or should I just use an XP pc to do this type thing from now on?

Data recovery for me isn't exactly booting a linux bootdisc to make a forensic image and hex editing the files out of that, we have service level agreements with our client that the data recovery part of; I'm pretty sure I'm going above and beyond already. They're given the option to send it to pros who'll hexedit the gently caress out of their drive and cost center. Hell this post is probably 10x the :effort: my boss would want me putting into this.

The data that you updated the security info for was specifically files that you did not own and did not have permission for "Everyone" to read them. This is done with private user files so that (non-administrator) users of the computer cannot easily snoop on other user's files through explorer. (There are, of course, other ways in. If you want true privacy, you should be using encryption). You are able to circumvent this because you are an administrator, and can use that power to change the permissions directly.

The correct way to handle something like this is to use a disk cloning tool to clone the entire failing drive to another, known-working drive. If this is more effort than you want to take, then try browsing through an elevated command prompt. In the vast majority of cases, the system admin does have permission to view such files, in a manner that regular admin accounts do not. You would be able to copy the files of interest out and to somewhere safe before worrying about changing the permissions.

Edit: I believe you can even launch explorer.exe from an elevated command prompt, and it will run with full admin privileges all the time (no extra UAC popups, no need to "take ownership"). It's a handy trick when you know you're going to be doing lots of work in Program Files or Windows, and you don't want to deal with a million UAC prompts. Posted before testing, this doesn't work. You can still do these things from the command prompt directly.

Edit2: There are a handful of directories that not even the System Admin can browse (System Volume Information, and CSC (client side cache, used for offline files) are two that I can think of off the top of my head). If you really want to access the content of these directories, you should definitely image over the entire disk using a disk cloning tool (gparted, clonezilla, or something like ntfsclone on linux) before attempting to get permission to read these files.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 14, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapinga posted:

Edit: I believe you can even launch explorer.exe from an elevated command prompt, and it will run with full admin privileges all the time (no extra UAC popups, no need to "take ownership").

Awesome this sounds like the winner.

Why didn't xp enforce permissions when reading another PCs drive though? I know xp didn't have uac (but we have uac disabled on our testing win7 image that I'm using.)

edit: uac is actually on, used to be off. I'm seeing inside another profile dir fine from an elevated cmd but when I run explorer from the cmd it's still prompting me to grant permissions when I click the dir.

I might try running cmd as system then run explorer and see what happesn.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 14, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Wagonburner posted:

Awesome this sounds like the winner.

Why didn't xp enforce permissions when reading another PCs drive though? I know xp didn't have uac (but we have uac disabled on our testing win7 image that I'm using.)

edit: on 2nd thought since we have uac disabled is an elevated prompt any different? I'm plugging in the drive again now to see if there are any other profile dirs I can try that out on.

I think (not sure) that using explorer in XP (as an admin) was exactly like running the elevated command prompt; you were actually browsing the computer as the administrator - you could do whatever you wanted and didn't have to ask anyone for anything. In Vista/7 you aren't really browsing as an admin - you're browsing as a regular user who can elevate to admin privileges only when necessary. It would be interesting to plug the broken drive into an XP machine and see what it let you do.

On your second point: you really shouldn't have UAC disabled, but that's another discussion. If you have suppressed the UAC prompts (like Win7 allows you to do with that little slider), what it's really doing is just automatically answering "yes" for every UAC prompt it would have showed - you still don't get admin privileges except when they are specifically requested. If you've actually hacked the registry to truly disable UAC then, well, you're on your own. Lots of things don't work correctly when you do that.

Edit:

quote:

edit: uac is actually on, used to be off. I'm seeing inside another profile dir fine from an elevated cmd but when I run explorer from the cmd it's still prompting me to grant permissions when I click the dir.

I might try running cmd as system then run explorer and see what happesn.

Yeah, I posted without testing - I was wrong on that. The command prompt itself is definitely elevated, but explorer will still ask for permission to do things like a regular user.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 14, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapinga posted:

I think (not sure) that using explorer in XP (as an admin) was exactly like running explorer on 7 from the elevated command prompt - you were actually browsing the computer as the administrator - you could do whatever you wanted and didn't have to ask anyone for anything. In Vista/7 you aren't really browsing as an admin - you're browsing as a regular user who can elevate to admin privileges only when necessary. It would be interesting to plug the broken drive into an XP machine and see what it let you do.

I think UAC was behind everything here, I was confused and didn't think so because I thought it was turned off, it was off by gpo when we 1st started testing this win7 image and explorer did work exactly like xp with regard to permissions but I guess they've turned it back on with gpo. (Also the grant permissions dialog doesn't dim the screen like uac prompts normally do). I do like UAC.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
explorer.exe can't be elevated in Win 7 by design, though you can run something like Explorer++ elevated.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

explorer.exe can't be elevated in Win 7 by design, though you can run something like Explorer++ elevated.

Then what the hell is it doing when I Run As Administrator it? Because I can do that and then it seems to operate like it's elevated so I don't understand you.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

a pwn cocktail posted:

Sorry i know this is off topic but I really don't want to start a thread just to ask this and I can't find a more appropriate thread in the first 5 pages.

I was hoping someone could tell me where in Facebook settings I can ask it to stop sending me e-mail updates about anything and everything. All I can find is the notification settings page, but that seems like it's going to turn off all notifications altogether (I still want to be notified of things, just only when logged into facebook, not have my e-mail spammed forever). Any ideas?

Are you sure that the toggles in the notification settings turn off notifications altogether? I think it affects just emails...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
If I'm dual booting two versions of Windows is there any way for me to use my copy of Office installed on one installation from the other one? It seems to just give me an error saying that my computer isn't configured properly to run the software. (The two operating systems are Windows 7 and Windows 8).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have longass contract I've typed up in Word 2007 for which I basically used a custom list that is basically set up the following way:

Chapter 1 - Chapter Name

1.1 - text corresponding to clause 1.1

1.1.1 - text corresponding to subclause 1.1.1

Obviously each level has its own indentations and stuff like that. Is there any way I can convert this somewhat painlessly into a Style so that Word will automatically set up a Table of Contents for me?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

trandorian posted:

Then what the hell is it doing when I Run As Administrator it? Because I can do that and then it seems to operate like it's elevated so I don't understand you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/1798a1a7-bd2e-4e42-8e98-0bc715e7f641/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Anyone have any reccomendations of a windows program that will let me switch between multiple monitors? I'm running two now, and I have an HDMI cable going form my card to my TV. I'd like to be able to hit a hotkey and have it disable these two displays and make my TV my main, and back when I hit it again. I own displayfusion which is a great piece of software but it wont let me do this and my googling has led me nowhere :(.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mandrill posted:

Anyone have any reccomendations of a windows program that will let me switch between multiple monitors? I'm running two now, and I have an HDMI cable going form my card to my TV. I'd like to be able to hit a hotkey and have it disable these two displays and make my TV my main, and back when I hit it again. I own displayfusion which is a great piece of software but it wont let me do this and my googling has led me nowhere :(.

Windows 7? Win + P

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
how can i have windows recognize both partitions on a flash drive? i know the reason why it won't (arbitrary removable media restriction) and I tried using BootIt to flip some bit but that didn't work. Googling only brings up this program. For reference i'm using a patriot xpress usb 3.0 16GB drive.

any ideas?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
1) Why did you split the drive when it's that small.
2) Have you tried going in to Drive Management and seeing whether you need to assign a drive letter to the second partition?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm making the Mac to PC transition, and am looking for a robust, currently updated keystroke launcher to replace Alfred. Is there a go-to PC equivalent? Primary I'm looking to launch apps and Firefox bookmarks, nothing too fancy.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

trandorian posted:

1) Why did you split the drive when it's that small.
2) Have you tried going in to Drive Management and seeing whether you need to assign a drive letter to the second partition?

1) I want to. different uses and i want them separated.
2) Tried and I can't. Errors every time. telling me to refresh the view and restart, neither of which worked. I can change the drive letter of the first one but not the second.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Uh, suddenly my 2TB external is showing up that it's in a RAW form....what in the world?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I have a cellphone that has wi-fi and can play youtube videos, but nothing else AFAIK as far as streaming video. Is there a program I can use that can stream video (transcode to FLV I guess?) from my computer with Windows 7 with a simple HTML front end?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Lowclock posted:

I have a cellphone that has wi-fi and can play youtube videos, but nothing else AFAIK as far as streaming video. Is there a program I can use that can stream video (transcode to FLV I guess?) from my computer with Windows 7 with a simple HTML front end?

The idea that springs to mind is a horrid daisy-chain of manycam -> yawcam -> phone browser. manycam installs a fake webcam driver which you can feed whatever you want to, yawcam allows you to stream a webcam to a web page. Works on my iphone, don't know about your thing.

I'm sure there's a neater way to pull it off, though.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Quick question: When using Internet Connection Sharing, the computer hosting the Internet connection to other devices, do the other devices read off of it's host file? As in, Computer A is the host that has it's host file changed and when Device B tries to route a web address it'll check Device A's host file first? Not a bridged network either, for real ICS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

peteyfoot posted:

I'm making the Mac to PC transition, and am looking for a robust, currently updated keystroke launcher to replace Alfred. Is there a go-to PC equivalent? Primary I'm looking to launch apps and Firefox bookmarks, nothing too fancy.

The search bar in the Windows Start Menu looks like it'll work. You might have to do something to index your firefox bookmarks in it, but otherwise you could launch Firefox and use address bar search in FF to get to your bookmarks.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

mistermojo posted:

http://wallbase.cc/start/

Space Gopher posted:

Interfacelift.

Thanks guy's very helpful.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Lowclock posted:

TVersity has HTML and Flash frontends and can transcode to various formats. They've disabled YouTube support and streaming to iOS devices from their latest free versions, so that may or may not be a dealbreaker for you.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to declare Windows 7 backup not ready for prime time. The times I've needed to use it for myself or other computers it's either a) declined to restore to the original source drive because it is not at least as large as it is supposed to be or b) been not useful because it's an all-or-nothing restore.

a) sometimes I've been able to work by cleaning the partition table. But honestly, Microsoft, if it was a 250GB drive and there's only 100GB of data to restore, why are you pissing and moaning about the drive not having 250GB due to some partition overhead? It's definitely too difficult to try to talk family members through over the phone

b) isn't very useful because now it requires 2 backups, 1 of just data and 1 of the system image every few months. The times a system restore would have been useful it's been easier to just reinstall from disc and install my apps and just pull over what I need from my manual twice-a-week PowerShell backups. For other users (family) they usually have no idea how long it's been since they can't be bothered to update the System Image every 6 mos. or they run in to case "a" above trying to reinstall so they end up going the same route and reinstalling then restoring user data from their weeklies.

It's frustrating and something I sincerely hope gets improved in Win8.

Hed fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 17, 2011

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

trandorian posted:

The search bar in the Windows Start Menu looks like it'll work. You might have to do something to index your firefox bookmarks in it, but otherwise you could launch Firefox and use address bar search in FF to get to your bookmarks.

I tried this and it didn't work too well, however I found Launchy and so far it's working great.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Does anyone here have any recommendations for a (free) software tool that will do a full HD wipe?

This doesn't need to be, like, DOD grade or anything. I just upgraded to a bigger faster HD and I plan to wipe the old one before I send it off to the e-recyclers in my area. It has some financial documents and such so I thought I'd be careful.

EDIT: I have the old HD plugged into my new rig on an external connection, so I don't need a boot disk to do it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

macnbc posted:

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a (free) software tool that will do a full HD wipe?

This doesn't need to be, like, DOD grade or anything. I just upgraded to a bigger faster HD and I plan to wipe the old one before I send it off to the e-recyclers in my area. It has some financial documents and such so I thought I'd be careful.

EDIT: I have the old HD plugged into my new rig on an external connection, so I don't need a boot disk to do it.

I'm not sure about previous versions, but with Windows 7's command prompt you can zero a drive with the /p switch.

Edit: if it's going to be recycled rather than reused, just bang on it with a hammer.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Toast Museum posted:

I'm not sure about previous versions, but with Windows 7's command prompt you can zero a drive with the /p switch.

Could you explain that please? I tried Googling this solution but I'm not seeing any other references to it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

macnbc posted:

Could you explain that please? I tried Googling this solution but I'm not seeing any other references to it.

Go to the start menu, type cmd, and hit ctrl+shift+enter. Type format d: /x /p:1, where d is the the drive letter. This should dismount the drive and write 0s to every bit. For more options/details, type format /?

Again, if it's just going to a recycling center, you can save yourself some time and just whack the drive.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 17, 2011

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

or you can make a giant dummy file with random info using "dummy file creator" to overwrite everything on the drive.

so many ways to destroy data

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Toast Museum posted:

Go to the start menu, type cmd, and hit ctrl+shift+enter. Type format d: /x /p:1, where d is the the drive letter. This should dismount the drive and write 0s to every bit. For more options/details, type format /?

Again, if it's just going to a recycling center, you can yourself some time and just whack the drive.

Got it. Thanks for the tip!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Without specifically selecting it, can you still get 32bit Windows 7 from an OEM? I just took a quick glance on Dell.com and the lowest of the low laptops came with 64bit Win7 standard.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just out of curiosity why do you want 32bit Win 7?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Galler posted:

Just out of curiosity why do you want 32bit Win 7?

I don't. Just curious if its practically gone from the new PC market.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Without specifically selecting it, can you still get 32bit Windows 7 from an OEM? I just took a quick glance on Dell.com and the lowest of the low laptops came with 64bit Win7 standard.

You can but you'd be stupid too. Seeing as how every pc comes with a 64 bit processor and 4 or 6 GB of RAM. Even the latest netbooks are using 64 bit cpus.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I had thought that Win7 had brought things to the point that flatten and reinstalls were no longer necessary, but my system has been so sluggish and unresponsive lately that I'm thinking about doing it. I've been running this guy for about 2 years on 7 at this point and it's time for a clean start.

Are there any common performance culprits that I can check first? I figured old XP gremlins like temp files and defragging don't really do much anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mobn posted:

I had thought that Win7 had brought things to the point that flatten and reinstalls were no longer necessary, but my system has been so sluggish and unresponsive lately that I'm thinking about doing it. I've been running this guy for about 2 years on 7 at this point and it's time for a clean start.

Are there any common performance culprits that I can check first? I figured old XP gremlins like temp files and defragging don't really do much anymore.

I'd like to know this as well. I also thought that W7 was supposed to have done away with needing to restart after updates, but that's obviously a lie as well. How come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

hooah posted:

I'd like to know this as well. I also thought that W7 was supposed to have done away with needing to restart after updates, but that's obviously a lie as well. How come?

It has done away with most of that. You only have to restart after updates to system files that can't be suspended while Windows is active.