Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Looking for some buying advice:

I am trying to find a cheap (<$300) bridge camera for my father. He's interested in the recent re-release of the D3100 / 18-105VR combo - "because it's metallic red!" :(

For vacation snapshots that will be made in auto mode that seems like overkill. In terms of quality all he needs is a P&S, but he hates the ergonomics of not having a large grip and an optical viewfinder. So far the Coolpix p500 comes pretty close except it has an EVF. Any similar models you can think of ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749761-REG/Fujifilm_16123567_Finepix_S2950_Digital_Camera.html

this piece of poo poo is just $165

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 13, 2011

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Cross_ posted:

So far the Coolpix p500 comes pretty close except it has an EVF. Any similar models you can think of ?

I'd agree that a DSLR is a bad idea if he's not going to take it off auto. The depth of field issues alone would be terrible.

Unfortunately, with a cursory look, it seems that the modern bridge cameras all have EVFs, so you should probably let your dad try one out before committing to it, because he might not be happy with it, in comparison to an OVF. Especially since these cheap bridge cameras aren't going to have quality high resolution EVFs like a mirrorless ILC.

That p500 only has a 320x240 pixel EVF. The lcd screen on the back is 640x480 in comparison. So having his eye pressed that close to a resolution that low is going to be pretty granular looking, and not anywhere close to an OVF. The only reason to use it would be if there was too much sunlight on the back screen to use it effectively.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A G12 is great for old people. It's got an optical viewfinder and it feels like a real camera when you shoot with it. Granted, it's not as grip-tastic as a bridge camera, but surely even the elderly can see the advantage of carrying around a jacket pocketable camera.

I gave my G9 to my mom before I got my S90. She's really big on the optical view finder thing and loves the hell out of it. Now that I've been using a S90 for over a year, I kinda miss the G series. Shooting a camera when it's not held to my face still feels very odd to me and I always feel like I'm going to drop it. I still love my s90, I just think I might get a G series next time.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Haggins posted:

A G12 is great for old people. It's got an optical viewfinder and it feels like a real camera when you shoot with it. Granted, it's not as grip-tastic as a bridge camera, but surely even the elderly can see the advantage of carrying around a jacket pocketable camera.

I gave my G9 to my mom before I got my S90. She's really big on the optical view finder thing and loves the hell out of it. Now that I've been using a S90 for over a year, I kinda miss the G series. Shooting a camera when it's not held to my face still feels very odd to me and I always feel like I'm going to drop it. I still love my s90, I just think I might get a G series next time.

Whenever I switch back to my s95 after using my dslr, I always bring it to my face and then go "wtf? Why can't I see anything??" before it clues in :downs:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Cross_ posted:

Looking for some buying advice:

I am trying to find a cheap (<$300) bridge camera for my father. He's interested in the recent re-release of the D3100 / 18-105VR combo - "because it's metallic red!" :(

For vacation snapshots that will be made in auto mode that seems like overkill. In terms of quality all he needs is a P&S, but he hates the ergonomics of not having a large grip and an optical viewfinder. So far the Coolpix p500 comes pretty close except it has an EVF. Any similar models you can think of ?

Don't know if you'd consider a used camera, but I'm selling a Panasonic FZ-50. Ergonomics are very similar (or in some ways better) than an entry-level DSLR. Shoots RAW, and manual focus/zoom are pretty easy. It's not current generation though, so screen is only 2", video maxes at 640x480. Check it out here. So be a cheapskate!
e: now $150.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 14, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Costello Jello posted:

I'd agree that a DSLR is a bad idea if he's not going to take it off auto. The depth of field issues alone would be terrible.

It actually isn't that bad (at least on the Canon side) - I've chucked my 30D on auto for my mum to use before and the results are still at least as good as a point and shoot on auto.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Haggins posted:

Really? I was looking through a g11 viewfinder and it was so small and tunnel like it seemed unusable. I would think an older person with less perfect eyesight would find it even more so.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I used my student's G12 today and the viewfinder felt really small. I use an x100 so even a 7D viewfinder feels small, but still.

I love OVFs but the ones on the G series seem tacked on and not that great.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

I used my student's G12 today and the viewfinder felt really small. I use an x100 so even a 7D viewfinder feels small, but still.

I love OVFs but the ones on the G series seem tacked on and not that great.

I really want to look through an X10 viewfinder. I love how big and bright the X100's is, it's as large and a bit brighter than the one on the 5D, and I know the x10's will be less bright/large, but I want to know by how much.

Just for curiosity sake, I am not buying one. I am not buying one. I am not buying one.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
S100 announced and previewed at dpreview

http://dpreview.com/previews/canons100/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

Looks good. I wish they had kept the lens reach but improved the max aperture at the end, but not sure how possible that is.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

Looks good. I wish they had kept the lens reach but improved the max aperture at the end, but not sure how possible that is.

The silver version looks better than I thought it would.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is the part that sticks out the most to me: "can shoot nonstop at 2.3 fps in other modes". I'm not going to upgrade from my S95 but faster performance would definitely help.

I'm also assuming the "200 shots per charge" does not include using the GPS.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Maybe look at the used/ refurb section of B&H? You could get a Canon Sx1/10/20 (in a month or two, maybe a 30) for your price point. All have EVF, but I think that's true of all bridge cameras. If ergonomics rather than zoom are the motivation for a bridge, also consider a canon G series (9 or 11, 10 is not great). The picture quality is much better, especially indoors/ low light.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
Initial thought was "damnit, I just got a S95 two months ago", but now I'm just going to wait to see some preview shots to see how low-light performance is. I'm still happy with my S95, don't imagine I'm going to try to sell/upgrade.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pockyless posted:

Built in GPS is very cool. Finally Canon is starting to support tagging.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
If the 4x less noise at ISO 1600 holds true without extremely smudgy results pans out, the S100 sounds really tempting as an upgrade from the S95.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Pockyless posted:

Any idea on the release date? I'm deciding if I should buy a S95 now or wait.

edit: Article says available in November. I'm going to wait.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Oh fcuk the S90's exposure compensation wheel!

You use it at a busy social event, hand it off to someone to use and they accidentally spin the wheel and dial in +2ev.

You don't notice the little icon on the screen, since you are shooting people on grass - and a green icon against a green background doesn't leap out at you.

Hey presto, lots of lovely, blown-out highlights.

Where's the duck tape?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Crossposting this from the other camera thread, seeing as I'll most likley get a P&S.

Alright time for a "what do i buy?" thing. Hopefuly I've been specific enough :)

Budget
I'm aiming for around £100, but if someone were to highly reccomend something then I'll go higher, probly towards £200.

Your photo gear you already have
Konica Digital Revio KD-400Z. Its almost 10 years old...
No lighting equipment, all photos are taken outside in full sun otherwise you just don't get colours in the crystal.

What you plan on using your purchase for
Photographing Chandeliers and Crystals. I'll give an example;

You see the coloured flares? Thats what I need to capture. That sweet spot when the angle is just right and sends the reflection from the sun into the lens and because of the crystal it causes colour, or at least thats how I understand it.

Now I don't want to start a debate on lens flares, lens flares sell in our business, so flares there must be. It shows people that it is infact a good quality crystal as opposed to glass.

All photography is between up-close and about 6 foot away. Outside in full sun.

I don't know what the mode is called that takes multiple pictures in few seconds, but that might work out well as it could catch the flares as they pass. My mother also takes some photos so it needs to either keep the settings stored or be super easy to use. Perferably both. And it needs to be quick, sometimes the sun will pop out just for a few seconds and we need the camera to be ready to shoot in a few seconds before the sun is gone. We also NEVER use ZOOM. There is just no need for it since everything we shoot is right infront of us.

What you find limiting about what you have now
Aside from it dieing? Its a 10 year old point-and-click digital camera, its slow, doesnt have long batt life, no manual zoom option, takes an AGE to shoot as it does its "hang on i'm figuring out the focus.. ok now i'm thinking of taking a photo... thinking... ok there it is, now wait 10 seconds till i'm ready for another" thing.

I guess I'm looking at going with the standard of "best affordable Canon" but I thought it would be wise to post this first on the offchance anyone has some thoughts on the subject, thanks :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why not just photoshop in some more lens flares? If it's under 200 pounds then a used s90 just reaches that in amazon. Or just get a s100 or whatever and file that as a tax expense.

cbubbles posted:

Initial thought was "damnit, I just got a S95 two months ago", but now I'm just going to wait to see some preview shots to see how low-light performance is. I'm still happy with my S95, don't imagine I'm going to try to sell/upgrade.

If you ever feel down, just think of caberham who drops/lost/buys too much gear and is still a lovely photographer :emo:

2 two months of awesome summer photos! but on paper it looks like the s100 can take down the Olympus XZ-1 offerings. separate record button, built in ND filter! (wish they had IR filter too), zoomable lens during recording, slightly wider lens, higher ISO, smart white balance, etc.

I wonder how it's art filters or panaorama and other modes fare with other cameras? If only there's a seamless integration of the camera wireless capabilities with smart phones allow you to use the s100 to upload facebook pictures/videos or what not with the internet. Something smoother than eyefi.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Dominoes posted:

Any idea on the release date? I'm deciding if I should buy a S95 now or wait.

edit: Article says available in November. I'm going to wait.

I just got an email from Amazon saying the estimated arrival date for the S100 is October 06 2011 - October 18 2011, so it looks like it might ship the first or second week of October.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
So my mother has a Canon S95. She proceeds to pre-order the ELPH-510. As suspected, she was swayed... by the red colour :negative:

Should I tell her to save her money, or if she really wants something new should I convince her to get the S100? I would assume that the lens is slower and the screen slightly less satisfying on the ELPH...

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If there's one thing I've learned about the average person and telling them that the camera I'm recommending them is better than the one they like is that they'll listen to me, maybe buy it, then say they prefer the look and fancy sounding features of the other one. It doesn't matter how awesome the S95/S100 is, she wants that goddamned red camera.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I should have thought that. Thanks for the insight.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Cameras for Moms 101

Price: priority 1
Zooooooooom: priority 2
Image Quality: ...
searching...
priority not found

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Butt Savage posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about the average person and telling them that the camera I'm recommending them is better than the one they like is that they'll listen to me, maybe buy it, then say they prefer the look and fancy sounding features of the other one. It doesn't matter how awesome the S95/S100 is, she wants that goddamned red camera.

I've had two people buy Elph's that I've recommended, like the SD780IS or whatever and they've both been super happy with the recommendation. I've recommended the S95 to a few people now too and am still waiting on them pulling the trigger.

I should get some kind of kickback from Canon at this point.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I might be looking to sell my S95 come November or December to trade up... if anyone's interested in buying a lightly used S95 in a few months let me know.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

MMD3 posted:

I might be looking to sell my S95 come November or December to trade up... if anyone's interested in buying a lightly used S95 in a few months let me know.

I've been checking amazon once a day to see if the price has fallen yet. I'd glady purchase a lightly used one too. Let me know.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Costello Jello posted:

:words:

What's sad is that she's taking a route of that one artist in the Terrible Pictures thread. She actually is still pretty competent, but.... those sliders.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Here's a question for the P&S thread: How do I change things to make it so that the noise is not so loving bad it is viewable on the LCD, thus making me want to trash the whole loving camera?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Entire Universe posted:

Here's a question for the P&S thread: How do I change things to make it so that the noise is not so loving bad it is viewable on the LCD, thus making me want to trash the whole loving camera?

uhhh, buy a camera that isn't that noisy? I mean seriously here, what're you looking for a setting? maybe tell us what kind of camera you have to start with...

chances are if you're viewing the photos on the LCD at 1:1 then you're going to notice some noise in a P&S... don't zoom in so far that you're viewing your photos at 1:1? because chances are you're never going to need to look at them that large on a monitor unless you're cropping way the hell in on something.

Also, make sure you're not shooting at ISO 3200 or something stupid high if it can be helped?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I think it might be because the camera's doing a lovely RAW -> jpg conversion in-camera. It'll probably look better in Lightroom.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

David Pratt posted:

I think it might be because the camera's doing a lovely RAW -> jpg conversion in-camera. It'll probably look better in Lightroom.

but unless the camera outputs RAW files (most point and shoots don't) then the jpeg conversion has already taken place correct?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MMD3 posted:

uhhh, buy a camera that isn't that noisy? I mean seriously here, what're you looking for a setting? maybe tell us what kind of camera you have to start with...

chances are if you're viewing the photos on the LCD at 1:1 then you're going to notice some noise in a P&S... don't zoom in so far that you're viewing your photos at 1:1? because chances are you're never going to need to look at them that large on a monitor unless you're cropping way the hell in on something.

Also, make sure you're not shooting at ISO 3200 or something stupid high if it can be helped?

It's a 16 mp Panasonic Lumix, which I understand isn't exactly a 5D here but I will attempt to post an image or two to attempt to impress exactly how noisy we are talking about. I don't expect high quality imagery or anything but i am getting pictures that make a webcam look stunning.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

It's a 16 mp Panasonic Lumix, which I understand isn't exactly a 5D here but I will attempt to post an image or two to attempt to impress exactly how noisy we are talking about. I don't expect high quality imagery or anything but i am getting pictures that make a webcam look stunning.

My work uses one of those in the field, and I hate it. They all ooh and ahh over it because "16 MEGAPIXELS WOW" but it's so noisy half the time that it sucks anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CarrotFlowers posted:

My work uses one of those in the field, and I hate it. They all ooh and ahh over it because "16 MEGAPIXELS WOW" but it's so noisy half the time that it sucks anyway.

Thanks, I was wondering if I was overlooking something or if it is just a noisy camera. Noisy it is!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thanks, I was wondering if I was overlooking something or if it is just a noisy camera. Noisy it is!

What do you have the ISO set to? I limit my point and shoot to 400 in auto mode and even that's pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Post an example with full EXIF, it should be pretty obvious if a setting is off.

• Locked thread