Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I think I'm going to play the Americans for FoW. Is there a cheaper place to buy minis than what Battlefront sells, because, holy gently caress my rear end if I'm paying $60 for a rifle company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends where you are really. I find that when P&P is taken into account Battlefront are pretty cheap for a full Company, and given that a Rifle Company box is pretty much the guts of 750 points they're a decent chunk of your force bought straight off. I believe that Peter Pig are highly regarded, and I've heard good things about Old Glory.

For finding pics... see the thread.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Oxford Comma posted:

I think I'm going to play the Americans for FoW. Is there a cheaper place to buy minis than what Battlefront sells, because, holy gently caress my rear end if I'm paying $60 for a rifle company.

If you think 60 bucks for a company of infantry is expensive you're in for a cruel surprise when you flesh it out.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Maybe you two are right. I swore I'd seen them cheaper elsewhere but I guess not.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Flames of War is not cheap. The cost of support made me sell my Americans instead of finishing the force.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I wonder if I can just grab a bucket of my son's Duplo blocks and use those as units. "The blue ones are Shermans, the green one are infantry squads, and the red ones are artillery pieces. When a unit is destroyed, I'll replaced it with one of the same color that's been gnawed on by the dog."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could try get some on ebay, or just wait until the plastic soldier company puts out a set.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Oxford Comma posted:

Maybe you two are right. I swore I'd seen them cheaper elsewhere but I guess not.

In the US, you want thewarstore.com

Maelstrom used to be the place for Europe, but Battlefront went all GW on them and now they can't sell the minis.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

In the US, you want thewarstore.com

Maelstrom used to be the place for Europe, but Battlefront went all GW on them and now they can't sell the minis.

I meant, a company that also makes WW2 15mm minis that can be used in FoW.

On a related note, I got some of GHQ's Micro Minis today. There's a ton of detail in them, but oh God, they're so small. Does anyone make modern minis in 15mm or 28mm?

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

On a related note, I got some of GHQ's Micro Minis today. There's a ton of detail in them, but oh God, they're so small. Does anyone make modern minis in 15mm or 28mm?

Give em a chance man, they are easier to paint than a lot of people think.

Also you can save a lot by buying your Shermans from the Plastic Soldier Company, the warstore has their models in stock if you live in the USA like me. No 15mm Infantry from them yet but if the 15mm german infantry I got from them are any indication when they do come out they will be awsome.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Oxford Comma posted:

6mm is easy to paint seriously. Vehicles just need a base coat then wash and dry brush to taste. Wet brush the base colour onto infantry, dry brush up, dot in the flesh and guns etc and you are good to go. Anymore is wasted effort- these aren't 28mm display models, you will be looking at them on the table from 3rd away. Check my blog I linked earlier for some example pics.

And yes of course you can buy 28 and 15mm moderns, there's loads of manufacturers. We've linked them many times in this thread.

EDIT

Sorry if that came off as a but stroppy but you must be the twentieth person to ask a similar question in here. Do we need a FAQ or something in the original post?

Pretty much if you question regarding hisotrical wargaming is 'are there X available in Y scale' then the answer is probably yes.

For 28mm try TAG, Black Scorpion or Empress Minis. They all do modern military stuff.
In 15mm try Old Glory, QRF, Rebel Minis, Peter Pig

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 13, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oxford Comma posted:

Old Glory makes a pretty nice line of WWII figures, and they generally run $15 for a bag of ~50. The site layout is terrible and has no photographs, so that's how you know it's a historical miniatures webstore.

e: The 15mm Blue Moon stuff is actually just over 20mm, but I don't think there's any BM WWII to worry about. And I can't speak for the vehicle scale either.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Sorry if that came off as a but stroppy but you must be the twentieth person to ask a similar question in here. Do we need a FAQ or something in the original post?

That would actually be pretty helpful. I know the answer to questions like "Who makes XXX in YYY scale" are in this thread but finding them can be a challenge. Maybe we could come up with a list of time period and scale, and have a link to it in the OP?

What say you, goons?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

That would actually be pretty helpful. I know the answer to questions like "Who makes XXX in YYY scale" are in this thread but finding them can be a challenge. Maybe we could come up with a list of time period and scale, and have a link to it in the OP?

What say you, goons?

If someone puts together said list, I will definitely add it to the OP.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

If someone puts together said list, I will definitely add it to the OP.

Given how many periods, areas and scales that means, I'd guess it would have to be a collective effort.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I'll do Modern in the next day or two.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Suggestions for a GW paint to use for the pants of my US Infantry? The FoW book suggests US Dark Green for the trousers. What color in the GW paints would be closest to this?

Also, holding the mini in my fingers as I paint it really seems awkward. Should I be gluing it down to something first?

Edit: It looks like Catchcan Green for the helmet and pants would work out well, with Kommando Khaki for the jacket. I've seen Camo Green recommended for the webbing but it seems awfully bright. Would it look better once I was the model with Devlan Mud? Should I was my figure with this?

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 15, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I base mine first, but I've been told that using coffee stirrers or similar sticks to glue them to helps, but I can see it being difficult to get them off. Plus the effort of applying basing material after painting without getting it on the mini seems excessive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I base mine first, but I've been told that using coffee stirrers or similar sticks to glue them to helps, but I can see it being difficult to get them off. Plus the effort of applying basing material after painting without getting it on the mini seems excessive.

Use wood glue to attach them, since the bond is strong enough to keep them on but is very easy to break by pulling the miniature to the side. I prefer ice cream sticks as they are sturdier than coffee stirrers. I use this method for most projects between 6 and 15mm.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

Suggestions for a GW paint to use for the pants of my US Infantry? The FoW book suggests US Dark Green for the trousers. What color in the GW paints would be closest to this?

Also, holding the mini in my fingers as I paint it really seems awkward. Should I be gluing it down to something first?

Edit: It looks like Catchcan Green for the helmet and pants would work out well, with Kommando Khaki for the jacket. I've seen Camo Green recommended for the webbing but it seems awfully bright. Would it look better once I was the model with Devlan Mud? Should I was my figure with this?

I've always painted US trousers a darker drab brown. Since when were they green, or have I been wrong all this time?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Biblical wargaming a la Hail Caesar.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Now that looks just my cup of tea

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Biblical is great fun. Chariots everywhere and if you're in a multi-period ruleset like FoG, all your units pretty much suck. This is fun, really.

I should get Hail Caesar at some point. FoG sucks the fun out of games, but it's all the local people play for ancients/medieval and I need a better ruleset. Too Fat Lardies don't have anything pre-Napoleonics, Two Hour Wargames' fantasy-but-adaptable set is "too random" for the tournament-obsessives, and I haven't heard anything about the old-looking Peter Pig ancient/medieval rules. Don't suppose anyone here's played the Peter Pig ones, actually?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Now that looks just my cup of tea

Yeah, I pretty much posted it just for you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I just dug out my Celts/Brits again. Might have another crack at painting them. I think Im goign to just undecoat them brown, dry brush up a lighter brown, paint the faces and wepaons, and then do the shields. Should look ok across the table (they are 6mm).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin: What up 6mm bro? :hfive: Celts are tricky since it's easy to get fooled into putting too much details into them, which rarely pays off.

The Complete Guide to Creating Gaming Opponents

Step 1. Buy two opposing armies.

Step 2. Tell lilljonas "Oh, I bought some 6mm Napoleonics to play Lasalle, but I really don't have time to paint the British side. Any chance that you can..."

Step 3. Pawn the stuff on to lilljonas and watch your diabolic plan play out as he drops whatever other project he has going on due to shiny new object syndrome.

I managed to dodge the Nappy bug after painting a 28mm regiment, but now I sit with a bunch of bags of 6mm artillery, infantry and cavalry. My friend bought Frenchies from Adler and British from Baccus, and since he preferred the Adler stuff he just gave the British to me to paint up. Any requests for regiments for me to paint up, you who know more about the period? My knowledge pretty much stops at "these guys will have red coats".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Any requests for regiments for me to paint up, you who know more about the period? My knowledge pretty much stops at "these guys will have red coats".

Well, the 95th Rifles are a given.

I like the 10th of Foot as well, since they were the Regiment in Boston in '75. During Napoleon's time, it looks like they served in Egypt, then in Portugal and Spain, so I see no reason you can't make some yellow-faced redcoats.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best part about 6mm Napoleonics is that you can use plastic RISK pieces as unit fillers :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

The best part about 6mm Napoleonics is that you can use plastic RISK pieces as unit fillers :v:

Or vice versa, I can make the coolest looking Risk game with painted 6mm Nappy figs! :)

E: these Baccus Brits are absolutely amazing, not a single piece of flash to remove on the infantry.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 15, 2011

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Serotonin: What up 6mm bro? :hfive: Celts are tricky since it's easy to get fooled into putting too much details into them, which rarely pays off.

This is a repaint of some test figs that I made that exact same mistake with- I tried paitning all sorts of random clothing colours etc like the big 28mm units and it really didnt work.

heres what Ive done so far- this is a test and they should improve as I go (they usually do)

I painted them as I planned- brown spray undercoat, drybrush up with two shades of Foundry Drab, paint faces, hair and weapons. Then do nice bright shields.

(drat chipped paint off on shield- didnt know I did that!)

What I am going to do is paint another strip of 4 to put at the back and maybe add some cloaks or different clothing colours, something subtle to break up uniformity (although not too worried about that- what sort of weirdo checks out the back of a unit!). I reckon once based and flocked with a nice rich green flock they should look much better. Photos as usual dont do 6mm justice when you are using a cheap camera with onboard flash ( I really need to fix my Canon 40d and get my lightbox back out).

EDIT- just given them a wash of devlan mud and they look better now. Also going to experiment with prebasing this next stand to see if that speeds up the process. Its not something I normally do for 6mm but for some reason I always do it for 10mm. Im odd me.

EDIT 2- actually they look kind of cool prebased, Ive managed to get them looking even less ranked and more hordey, plus Ive been able to sprinkle sand between the bases ont he still wet PVA they are stuck to the bases with. Result

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 15, 2011

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I managed to dodge the Nappy bug after painting a 28mm regiment, but now I sit with a bunch of bags of 6mm artillery, infantry and cavalry. My friend bought Frenchies from Adler and British from Baccus, and since he preferred the Adler stuff he just gave the British to me to paint up. Any requests for regiments for me to paint up, you who know more about the period? My knowledge pretty much stops at "these guys will have red coats".

Brits are easy to do as all you need to do is add cuff colours in 6mm. They pretty much only used 4 or 5 different colours - I will find the websites I used with the colour schemes on.

I went with some localish lads for my Brits.

http://serotonins.blogspot.com/2009/10/some-local-lads.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Could also do the 76th Havercakes if you're in to Sharpe.

They're red with red, so that's really easy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hordey enough?

These are for Hail Caesar and Im going with three 40x30mm bases for my Britons units. For my Romans I went for two 20x40mm bases and two 20x20mm bases. This means both units have 120mm frontages, but the Romans are neatly ranked in two ranks while the Britons are loosely ranked in 3 ranks on deeper bases which should make manoeuvering the warbands due to their depth just slightly more awkward than the Romans which feels right. I was debating going for 40x40 bases for the warbands but then I would need 4 ranks and thats a lot of figures when you consider I want to do around 30 units!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just for comparison heres my Romans and their auxilaries (repost from way back in the thread)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That looks really nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Those Romans look excellent and it is hard to compare with the Celts until they are painted up and you have as many bases. But I think it is a good start.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Once I've painted my soldiers, should I give them a wash with Devlan Mud or is there a better thing to do?

Also, Serotonin, those minis are beautiful. :)

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Copy of CWC came in today. The guy is not printing it anymore so I had to order it off of Lulu and besides missing the cover picture and not having any color photos it is pretty legit. Now to decide what to play. I know I want to start up a 6mm West German army but I cannot find any 6mm Cold war Era German infantry.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Comrade Merf posted:

Copy of CWC came in today. The guy is not printing it anymore so I had to order it off of Lulu and besides missing the cover picture and not having any color photos it is pretty legit. Now to decide what to play. I know I want to start up a 6mm West German army but I cannot find any 6mm Cold war Era German infantry.

GHQ do them. My mate has loads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Serotonin posted:

GHQ do them. My mate has loads

Where? The only German modern infantry are a part of that Germann Combat Command Pack and its only 32 of them and you have to buy all those vehicles. Also on your blog I noticed for most of your CWC projects you would use GHQ for armor, infantry and possibly APCs but used CinC for soft skinned vehicles, why is that? Just trying to get some info before I start buying minis. Also what do you use for bases? I never based my 6mm armor for FWC and ended up regretting it.

Comrade Merf fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 16, 2011