Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

thetrin posted:

I guess you missed the public announcement that Konami had "forgotten" how to make RPGs, because the Suikoden team pretty much doesn't exist now.

I was just blindly hoping that Tierkries was what some Konami D-Team was working on while the real Suikoden team was working on Suikoden 6. I can't go on :gonk:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I have zero excitement for the WiiU (can't remember another time I wasn't excited for a new nintendo console).

I can remember the last time I wasn't excited about a Nintendo console - the N64. And the Gamecube. And the Wii. And the 3DS. And the DS, to be honest, though in hindsight this was a mistake fueled by my then-love of my GBA-SP. I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the SNES and I don't really regret it. That's not to say the games aren't good - I've played a lot of the Mario/Zelda games on other people's consoles, not to mention several other titles they told me I had to try - but a handful of games just aren't enough to warrant buying a console. They're getting enough of my money via my DS games anyway.

I'm really not the kind of person the gaming market caters to, though - I still don't have a current gen console, and probably won't buy any of them any time soon. Maybe once I chew through my PS2 backlog, I'll consider a used PS3 for FF13/MGS4, but never a Wii. And unless DQX turns out to be the perfect upgrade of DQIX for a console, I'll probably skip it (and the WiiU) the way I've avoided FFXI until now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Has there ever been a lower point in gaming for anyone that likes RPGs? In the mid to late 00s, it was okay that Square was ruining Final Fantasy and not making anything else of note, that the Suikoden team disbanded, that Game Arts disappeared off the face of the earth, that Taito was bought by SquareEnix and now has the awful Square Enix policy of remaking/milking old games instead of coming out with anything new, that Quintet (the company that made Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma) evaporated, that Nintendo refused to bring Mother 3 to the US. It was all okay because there was still Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest 8 was phenomenal. Dragon Quest 5 may have been even better. It was a remake of an old game but we've never seen it before. DQ9 was really good.

DQX was the game that was supposed to save the genre. Now they're finally loving that series up too. It's not even in the genre anymore.

What's really sad, as we talked about before, is that it won't take much for it to be as profitable as an ordinary DQ. FFXI sold only a few hundred thousand copies worldwide compared to the 7 million or so that a FF usually sells and it's one of the most profitable FFs in the series due to all the subscription fees. What a pitiful state the industry is in that intentionally setting out to satisfy only 5% of a fanbase could be considered a good money making move.

In unrelated to RPG news, Capcom and Konami are doing nothing with Mega Man and Castlevania, Metroid has been turned linear and story based, Rare has died I guess, the newest Resident Evil and Silent Hills are the least scariest of the series - Survival Horror, one of my favorite genres seems to be dead, market is over saturated with uncreative dull FPS games and GTA clones.

Can we go back 14 years, please?

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
I don't get why Square-Enix thinks they need to make one of the main games in the series an MMO. I know there's not necessarily much continuity between Dragon Quest games but they could just have easily made a Dragon Quest MMO its own separate spinoff instead of the official tenth game.

Oh wait, Final Fantasy XI and XIV. :eng99:

Dragon Quest is my favourite series of games but it really doesn't instill any sort of confidence in me that it's being made into an MMO, AND being internally developed by Square-Enix. This coming off the horrible mess that was FFXIV.

At least we still have Joker 2 on the horizon. :unsmith:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Has there ever been a lower point in gaming for anyone that likes RPGs? In the mid to late 00s, it was okay that Square was ruining Final Fantasy and not making anything else of note, that the Suikoden team disbanded, that Game Arts disappeared off the face of the earth, that Taito was bought by SquareEnix and now has the awful Square Enix policy of remaking/milking old games instead of coming out with anything new, that Quintet (the company that made Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma) evaporated, that Nintendo refused to bring Mother 3 to the US. It was all okay because there was still Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest 8 was phenomenal. Dragon Quest 5 may have been even better. It was a remake of an old game but we've never seen it before. DQ9 was really good.

DQX was the game that was supposed to save the genre. Now they're finally loving that series up too. It's not even in the genre anymore.

What's really sad, as we talked about before, is that it won't take much for it to be as profitable as an ordinary DQ. FFXI sold only a few hundred thousand copies worldwide compared to the 7 million or so that a FF usually sells and it's one of the most profitable FFs in the series due to all the subscription fees. What a pitiful state the industry is in that intentionally setting out to satisfy only 5% of a fanbase could be considered a good money making move.

In unrelated to RPG news, Capcom and Konami are doing nothing with Mega Man and Castlevania, Metroid has been turned linear and story based, Rare has died I guess, the newest Resident Evil and Silent Hills are the least scariest of the series - Survival Horror, one of my favorite genres seems to be dead, market is over saturated with uncreative dull FPS games and GTA clones.

Can we go back 14 years, please?

This post really puts into perspective how bad it is to be a japanese gaming fan these days.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Himuro posted:

This post really puts into perspective how bad it is to be a japanese gaming fan these days.

If anything, it puts into perspective how beneficial it's become to learn some Japanese and import more regularly.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It seems like the only real "JRPG" exclusive company left these days is Falcom, and luckily, they're doing great financially these days.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dragon Quest 10 an MMO... huh. I guess I'll play it if it gets a PC port, as long as I can be a slime.

In the meantime, I've taken it upon myself to play all 3 DS remakes to level-99 completion. IV is done, only took 50 hours! I imagine V will be quadruple that, given the amount of playable characters.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LordAndrew posted:

I don't get why Square-Enix thinks they need to make one of the main games in the series an MMO.
"We are failing rapidly and need lots of reliable money very quickly."

Hell, this is why they did FF14, and we saw how well that turned out for them. It will likely be a disaster.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Himuro posted:

There's always Atlus, specifically the SMT people. Persona 3+4 were amazing, easily among the best JRPGs of the PS2 era in my opinion. I've got high hopes for their meatier stuff than Catherine.

EDIT: Really, I can't overstress how amazing I thought FES and 4 specifically were. Well-written, meaty, challenging without being random, great stylish audiovisual stuff. Somehow less "animu" in the bad way than FF10 and FF13 despite revolving around the exploits of highschool kids and having a dating system.

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 10, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SMT and Atlus are my one hope, so I already got them covered. :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It seems like the only real "JRPG" exclusive company left these days is Falcom, and luckily, they're doing great financially these days.

It's nice to see they're finally getting better recognition in the West. For a while I never dreamed of seeing another Ys in the US, but in the past few years, almost every game in the series has seen a release here in one form or another.

I'd kill for a re-release of IV (both versions) and V though.

It's kind of a shame, as this Dragon Quest announcement pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of my Wii which was already on life support. All that I use it for now is Netflix occasionally, but I've been planning on getting a PS3 soon so once I have it, well, so long Wii. :(

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Agrias120 posted:

I was just blindly hoping that Tierkries was what some Konami D-Team was working on while the real Suikoden team was working on Suikoden 6. I can't go on :gonk:.

Suikoden VI was canceled in pre-production, apparently; the post-Suikoden V interview where the developers let some artistic/technical goals for Suikoden VI slip never really amounted to anything, so the general assumption (at least on my part) is that the game was canceled. The team then turned to making something original, which eventually turned into an alternate universe Suikoden game (like how Silent Hill 4 was originally a separate game that was eventually awkwardly shoehorned into the SH franchise).

The development team was disbanded after Tierkreis' release.

And I guess that's enough for the off-topic discussion. Glad to know I'm not alone, though.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 11, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I can confirm that Suikoden VI was cancelled. They were working on a Suikoden game for the wii.

As for Dragon Quest, anyone getting DQMJ2? I thought the first game was boring as hell so I'd like some impressions.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Has there been any discussions from SE about preventing cheating in the ladder matches? There were definitely people cheating and using action replay codes to boost stats which really mucked with the ladder fights online.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to checking out the new stuff in Joker 2. I just hope my DS Lite survives by then... one of the screens has started doing some funky things lately. :ohdear:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Himuro posted:

I can confirm that Suikoden VI was cancelled. They were working on a Suikoden game for the wii.

How can you confirm this?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
My copy of the DQ Anniversary Collection just shipped this morning. Did anyone else order a copy? There are apparently very few copies being printed.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Wendell posted:

How can you confirm this?

Well we're pretty off topic, but two sources at Konami. I used to post on a board where you make official threads for games, and the PR guys would send you free stuff. I made the Suikoden V, Tierkreis and Tactics threads at that place and the Konami PR guy contacted me, and gave me a free copy of Tierkreis along with artbook/soundtrack;etc.

I asked about the future of the series and apparently they were working on it for wii.

I also have a friend who worked in gaming in California, we were pals with someone at Konami of America. He confirmed what the PR guy said, that they were making Tierkreis and VI at the same time and that VI was going to be for wii.

But Konami cancelled a whole slew of wii projects about two or so years ago, and naturally Suikoden VI was one of them because I haven't heard anything about it since.

A lot of fans blame Tierkreis, but Tierkreis in fact sold in line with the rest of the series, at least in Japan. The real reason is that VI was for wii and Konami found the system unsuitable for the game.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Himuro posted:

A lot of fans blame Tierkreis, but Tierkreis in fact sold in line with the rest of the series, at least in Japan. The real reason is that VI was for wii and Konami found the system unsuitable for the game.

So their thought was to cancel the game rather than move it to the platform everyone expected in the first place, the PS3?

Wow. I've lost even more respect for Konami now.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

iastudent posted:

I'm looking forward to checking out the new stuff in Joker 2. I just hope my DS Lite survives by then... one of the screens has started doing some funky things lately. :ohdear:

It sucks that the version we get isn't the improved rerelease that Japan got though. Why wouldn't they just translate and give us that?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It sucks that the version we get isn't the improved rerelease that Japan got though. Why wouldn't they just translate and give us that?

Are we really getting Vanilla DQMJ2? I thought we were getting the Professional Re-release just named DQMJ2 for simplicity's sake.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Whoa wait, they did that? What changes did they make from the first version?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Whoa wait, they did that? What changes did they make from the first version?
100 or so monsters and extra areas, according to Wikipedia.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

thetrin posted:

My copy of the DQ Anniversary Collection just shipped this morning. Did anyone else order a copy? There are apparently very few copies being printed.

My agent in Tokyo got it today from Amazon. He's shipping it to me this weekend.

I'm also baffled as to why SqEnix didn't localize DQMJ2 Professional.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

My agent in Tokyo got it today from Amazon. He's shipping it to me this weekend.

I don't know how hard to find it ACTUALLY is, but people are saying it sold out immediately at plenty of stores. I managed to get it from NCSX last week, so who really knows?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Probably the same reasons Final Fantasy X & XII International never got US localization.

And all of them are probably equally bullshit.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

thetrin posted:

I don't know how hard to find it ACTUALLY is, but people are saying it sold out immediately at plenty of stores. I managed to get it from NCSX last week, so who really knows?

It kind of stands to reason. DQ's picked up a lot of new fans along the way, and it has been 15 years since DQ3 on SNES. It may as well be a brand new DQ to a lot of younger fans.

I ordered mine on Amazon at least a couple months ago, but it was unavailable for preordering for a lot of the time except at exorbitant flipper prices.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

iastudent posted:

Probably the same reasons Final Fantasy X & XII International never got US localization.

And all of them are probably equally bullshit.

No, those ones weren't released because we already had the previous versions. There is no reason not to do it with this game. They released the director's cut of Star Ocean 3 here as just Star Ocean 3, so I'm still not convinced they aren't doing just that anyway.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wendell posted:

No, those ones weren't released because we already had the previous versions. There is no reason not to do it with this game. They released the director's cut of Star Ocean 3 here as just Star Ocean 3, so I'm still not convinced they aren't doing just that anyway.

Looking at it that way it does make more sense, and I hope you're right on us getting the professional version in everything sans name.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It kind of stands to reason. DQ's picked up a lot of new fans along the way, and it has been 15 years since DQ3 on SNES. It may as well be a brand new DQ to a lot of younger fans.

I ordered mine on Amazon at least a couple months ago, but it was unavailable for preordering for a lot of the time except at exorbitant flipper prices.

It's not just that. Even by conventional fanbase numbers, the print numbers are rather low. I believe someone said 10k, which sounds like a lot, but is pretty drat low for DQ. Can you imagine if there were only 50k copies of COD Anniversary?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Wendell posted:

Doesn't appear that way, though. NOA's official website says, "Over 300 monsters," which jives with the original J2's monster count.

Professional adds over a hundred, some of which can be seen at the JP J2 Professional site.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

thetrin posted:

It's not just that. Even by conventional fanbase numbers, the print numbers are rather low. I believe someone said 10k, which sounds like a lot, but is pretty drat low for DQ. Can you imagine if there were only 50k copies of COD Anniversary?

Heads will most certainly roll at SqEnix if they only printed 10,000 copies of their 25th anniversary package.
The Famitsu data in a couple weeks will provide a much clearer picture.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Heads will most certainly roll at SqEnix if they only printed 10,000 copies of their 25th anniversary package.
The Famitsu data in a couple weeks will provide a much clearer picture.

I'm sure. I'm speaking almost entirely from hearsay, to be honest. I had heard acquiring a copy was going to be very hard, yet NCSX had plenty when I ordered.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I cobbled together a DQM:J2 thread before I hit the sack last night. Feel free to discuss your newest monster cross-pollinations in there.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Okay, I'm gonna do that video game franchise role call that some people do.

Dragon Quest: Played it once, got halfway in and quit.
Dragon Quest II: Played it a few times, but never got to the final dungeon.
Dragon Quest III: Played the GBC version for a bit, but lost my save. Will probably return to it.
Dragon Quest IV: Played and beat the DS version. Will return to it one day.
Dragon Quest V: Beat it on the SNES and the DS. Possibly the best Dragon Quest game. Also my favorite Dragon Quest games and one of my favourite games period.
Dragon Quest VI: Beat it on the SNES. Really good, although its flaw is how hard it is to figure out what to do sometimes. Currently playing it on the DS.
Dragon Quest VII: Haven't played it. Plan on trying it in the future.
Dragon Quest VIII: Second favourite DQ. Beat it twice. Possibly the best Dragon Quest. Excellent localization. I'll be trying this one again after I'm done with NIER.
Dragon Quest IX: Enjoyable, but this one was missing something. I'll head back to this one sometime in the future.
Dragon Quest X: Hearing that this game will be online kinda rubs me the wrong way, but there's a good chance it'll be a really great online game, so I'm trying to get over it.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

Eggie posted:

• I: Beat the NES and GBC versions, LPed it. One of my favourites, I play it once a year.
  • II: Beat the GBC version. Didn't like it very much due to the endgame fetch quest extravaganza.
  • III: Never got to play it.
  • IV: Beat the first chapter of the DS version, really need to get back to it.
  • V: Still trying to find a cheap copy of it.
  • VI: I own the DS version but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
  • VII: First DQ game I played (yes even before the first one on the NES!). Never beat it but it's probably my favourite due to the darker setting. Wish I could find a copy of it that isn't $100+.
  • VIII: Beat it. Definitely one of the best. Need to do the post-game content.
  • IX: Beat the main story. Been meaning to do the post-game stuff but... eh. Disappointed there was no casino.
  • X: I'm really leery on how this game's gonna turn out. All I can do is hope and pray.

Oh yeah, anyone ever play any of those Torneko spinoffs? (Did those even come out in the US?)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Eggie posted:

Dragon Quest: Played it on NES originally. Don't recall much, but I replayed it more recently to completion.
Dragon Quest II: Didn't even bother. Ended up just watching an LP.
Dragon Quest III: Played a fan translation of the SNES version. One of my favorites for having generics and mostly a free class system.
Dragon Quest IV: Played and finished on the DS. Didn't get to this until after DQVIII. Good simple fun. One of my favorites.
Dragon Quest V: I attempted to jump into this on the DS a couple times, but didn't really make much progress until after DQIV.
Dragon Quest VI: Beat the DS version after putting off the SNES version when I heard about the newer release. Good, but the skills/classes were definitely "new" and not very well refined. I didn't go on to do any of the bonus content.
Dragon Quest VII: I tried after checking out the LP, but... nah. Still had a lot of problems DQVI had with the class/skill system, and even worse pacing. Only just made it to Dharma Temple before feeling the repetition set in.
Dragon Quest VIII: Aside from the original DQ, this was absolutely my first DQ proper. I "got" the series with this, though it took a couple of tries.
Dragon Quest IX: Excellent. I was disappointed with the format, because I think the visuals in 8 REALLY served the series, between better identifying NPCs and the world around them, but the class system finally came into its own here, and it was great to have a game like DQIII once again. Something focused more on letting the player have an adventure rather than catering one to them. Not without problems, but still has some of the best gameplay.
Dragon Quest X: I am really anxious. Seems like it will have gameplay like DQIX (generic characters/class systems), but with a world/exploration/visuals like Dragon Quest VIII, it is basically EVERYTHING I could hope for from Dragon Quest-oh, except the whole online/MMO thing... anxious is really the only way to describe this because it has the MAKINGS of THE game I have been wanting from this series, but... eehh, I dunno... Im going to wait and see, because the series really hasn't done me wrong, and that is saying a lot after being around for so many years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Quest I-III: Haven't played.
Dragon Quest IV: My first DQ, which was the DS version. Had so much fun, especially breaking it with the Cautery Sword trick. Even got the chapter 6 special ending.
Dragon Quest V: Second DQ ever, also on the DS, and by far my favorite entry thus far.
Dragon Quest VI: Recently beat the DS version of this too.
Dragon Quest VII: Haven't played.
Dragon Quest VIII: Excellent, if a bit long.
Dragon Quest IX: Up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Doesn't appear that way, though. NOA's official website says, "Over 300 monsters," which jives with the original J2's monster count.

Professional adds over a hundred, some of which can be seen at the JP J2 Professional site.

Man those all look awesome. Why, Square-Enix, why? :(