Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've been waiting a year for the new Easton stick to come out figuring the S19 would drop in price and I could grab that on the cheap. So what happens when the new RS gets released? Of course, the S19 doesn't get cheaper, they just make the RS more expensive. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Loqieu posted:

I've been waiting a year for the new Easton stick to come out figuring the S19 would drop in price and I could grab that on the cheap. So what happens when the new RS gets released? Of course, the S19 doesn't get cheaper, they just make the RS more expensive. :pwn:

The other Stealth sticks are discounted though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ST and SE16 are more or less the same technology and both are pretty reasonable right now. The more popular flexes and patterns are becoming more and more scarce though.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Green Submarine posted:

Extensive experimentation has led me to develop the following beer-before-hockey chart:

1-2 beers = nausea
3-7 beers = the sweet spot
7+ beers = wake up with injuries you don't remember sustaining

If I have beer before a game, it's usually 2 max. More than 2 and I'm falling down and making stupid passes more often.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I shoot on my own goalie if I have more than 3.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
I just replaced a bunch of my modget/bantam era gear and holy hell is it nice having gear that actually fits. Not that I'm playing any better, it just feels good :shobon:

Also I saw a bunch of S19's going for $139 at a place by me, so they might be on clearance somewhere near you.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
First game back today, my legs were there but my arms felt disconnected from my body. Tried my new Easton stick for most of the game but I'm not a huge fan, it's one of the lower end SE models and it just doesn't feel right to me. My green Bauer Elite from last year with the Kane curve is the sweet spot.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Green Submarine posted:

Extensive experimentation has led me to develop the following beer-before-hockey chart:

1-2 beers = nausea
3-7 beers = the sweet spot
7+ beers = wake up with injuries you don't remember sustaining

One night in college I got home with about two hours before my rec-league game. I had worked all day and wanted a couple of beers before I went to play. I sat down to watch some TV and sip off of the kegerator in our living room. By time I left to play I had probably had about 5 beers. But for whatever reason (tired from work, not much food, chemical imbalance?) I was WASTED. I really probably shouldn't have driving the half a mile to the rink like I did.

When the game began I knew I was in trouble. I couldn't even do a crossover without falling over. I had no wind and was an utter mess. I resorted to simply cheating as much as I could to give our team an advantage. Thing was: not one time I did this did the ref see me. I was slashing, hacking, spearing, shoving, picking, checking - everything. I was hooking a guy beneath his arm and he got mad and grabbed my stick. I put my hands up and he got a penalty. Another time I was roughing a guy when he finally punched me. I took the dive and he got sent to the box. No matter what I did it was good that night.

I have never played hockey that wasted again (though I've tried). It was hilarious to my team and me that no matter what I did the refs either didn't notice or the other team got called on it. We still got our asses kicked, though, so I guess it didn't matter much.

Sleeper Pimp
Nov 2, 2006

Ess Jay SCHARKS DAWT COM
I was doing pretty well getting to class early Saturdays at Sharks Ice Fremont, but then I landed a new job and it took a while to adjust to 40+ hours a week.

I finally get adjusted to my new work week and what happens? A guy rear ends me and my back and neck are all messed up now. I haven't been on my skates in a couple of months now and it sucks, I really want to get back out there and finally figure out how to stop without looking like an idiot. At least we have a hockey net at work so I can still practice my stick handling and shot.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Sleeper Pimp posted:

I was doing pretty well getting to class early Saturdays at Sharks Ice Fremont, but then I landed a new job and it took a while to adjust to 40+ hours a week.

I finally get adjusted to my new work week and what happens? A guy rear ends me and my back and neck are all messed up now. I haven't been on my skates in a couple of months now and it sucks, I really want to get back out there and finally figure out how to stop without looking like an idiot. At least we have a hockey net at work so I can still practice my stick handling and shot.

A- are you hiring?:v:
B- Go to stick n puck and learn to stop.. That;s what I did, just skated and stopped for an hour till I got the hang of it. We can go together and be BFFS :)

Sleeper Pimp
Nov 2, 2006

Ess Jay SCHARKS DAWT COM
Huh, I've never heard of stick n puck. I'd be totally interested in that, stopping has been my biggest hurdle so far.

(Company I work for unfortunately just stopped their huge hiring frenzy)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Any recommendations for good indoor wheels? The last higher end ones I used were the Revision Variants, which were really good but for all the took about how durable a wheel it is, mine started losing chunks several months in. I've since switched to a slightly cheaper Labeda wheel which doesn't offer quite the same performance, but has been going strong for about 8 months. I've had to take the last ~2 months off due to birthing classes that coincide with my league nights (yeah yeah) but am getting back into the action as of next week and want to get a new set. If it helps, I'm about 165 and want a wheel that's not going to slide out on me when I really dig in to stop or change direction at high speeds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stopping is easy, that's what the boards are for. :v:

Skating backwards though.. I feel like I'm never going to get good at it.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
^^^ Backwards skating is all about getting the proper motion down. I've never had a problem with it but I've been skating for a long time. It all starts with the transition from forward to backwards. Try to start out by getting the turn down and work on maintaining good balance while moving backwards. After you feel comfortable with that, then try to add in strides

Habibi posted:

Any recommendations for good indoor wheels? The last higher end ones I used were the Revision Variants, which were really good but for all the took about how durable a wheel it is, mine started losing chunks several months in. I've since switched to a slightly cheaper Labeda wheel which doesn't offer quite the same performance, but has been going strong for about 8 months. I've had to take the last ~2 months off due to birthing classes that coincide with my league nights (yeah yeah) but am getting back into the action as of next week and want to get a new set. If it helps, I'm about 165 and want a wheel that's not going to slide out on me when I really dig in to stop or change direction at high speeds.

I started out with the Labeda Grippers (76A I think) and I've switched to Rink Rat Hornets which I like so much better. I've only used them twice so far however so I can't tell you how durable they will be in the coming months. If you're not concerned with price, the highest end Labeda Addictions are supposedly super durable and provide great grip.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Habibi posted:

What surface are you playing on? The roller rink I play at uses wood I forget what kind. I use Rink Rat XXX there and they're fantastic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

^^^ Backwards skating is all about getting the proper motion down. I've never had a problem with it but I've been skating for a long time. It all starts with the transition from forward to backwards. Try to start out by getting the turn down and work on maintaining good balance while moving backwards. After you feel comfortable with that, then try to add in strides

I started out with the Labeda Grippers (76A I think) and I've switched to Rink Rat Hornets which I like so much better. I've only used them twice so far however so I can't tell you how durable they will be in the coming months. If you're not concerned with price, the highest end Labeda Addictions are supposedly super durable and provide great grip.

Based on what I've seen online, I'm narrowing it down to Rink Rat Hot Shots ($10/wheel on IW) or the new Revision Variants ($9/wheel on IW). The addictions seem to have some durability / blowing out issues, and I don't feel like paying more than $10/wheel (it's already crazy high).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Surfing Turtle posted:

What surface are you playing on? The roller rink I play at uses wood I forget what kind. I use Rink Rat XXX there and they're fantastic.
I forget the specifics (maybe one of the guys here who plays at Rollin Ice recalls) but it's apparently a pretty spiffy surface. Some sort of plasticky / tiled one with holes in it. :)

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Habibi posted:

I forget the specifics (maybe one of the guys here who plays at Rollin Ice recalls) but it's apparently a pretty spiffy surface. Some sort of plasticky / tiled one with holes in it. :)

I am not sure how good they would be on that kind of surface. On wood though the XXX's grip great and they have that softer outside with hard inside core. The ride is really nice though.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Sleeper Pimp posted:

Huh, I've never heard of stick n puck. I'd be totally interested in that, stopping has been my biggest hurdle so far.

(Company I work for unfortunately just stopped their huge hiring frenzy)

We call it Gretzky hour

http://www.sharksiceatsanjose.com/assets/hockey/Gretzky_hour_kids&adults_September_9_16_2011.pdf -

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Man, I would love to have a set schedule for stick and puck instead of putting it up on their website 2 hours before it starts.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Habibi posted:

What size hub are you looking to use? If your bearings are micro-hubs I'd go Labeda Dynasty III Grippers (D3)... they're cheaper than the Addiction but tackier than the Standard Grippers. If you're using a standard hub I'd go Millenium Grippers which are also better than just straight Grippers. I just have a thing for Labeda wheels.

On that same surface that you're playing on, I'm using Millenium Grippers, 76A. InlineWarehouse even has some sweet limited edition white ones at the same price. I've used both the aforementioned recommendations, but wound up changing my bearing size (swiss elites, hooray) and went from the Dynasty IIIs to the Milleniums. Both worked really well for me playing 2x a week for over a year.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

What size hub are you looking to use? If your bearings are micro-hubs I'd go Labeda Dynasty III Grippers (D3)... they're cheaper than the Addiction but tackier than the Standard Grippers. If you're using a standard hub I'd go Millenium Grippers which are also better than just straight Grippers. I just have a thing for Labeda wheels.

On that same surface that you're playing on, I'm using Millenium Grippers, 76A. InlineWarehouse even has some sweet limited edition white ones at the same price. I've used both the aforementioned recommendations, but wound up changing my bearing size (swiss elites, hooray) and went from the Dynasty IIIs to the Milleniums. Both worked really well for me playing 2x a week for over a year.

This, Grippers or Millenium Grippers, I always try new wheels and end up going back to the Labedas.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

Stopping is easy, that's what the boards are for. :v:

Skating backwards though.. I feel like I'm never going to get good at it.

Once you get it sorted out, going backwards is easier than going forward (at least, it is for me). It's why I prefer playing D. The only problem is, I'm still having a bitch of a time transitioning from skating forward to skating backward on the fly. loving mohawks!!! :argh:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
First game tonight. If I don't post after this, I died from my asthma causing me to suck down wind on the bench.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Friends bought some ice time for a pickgame game to warm us before the season starts. Went to get my skates sharpened before hand and apparently my blades are all twisted to hell and my boot is busted because I am too heavy for it. I was looking at the Easton EQ series ( EQ4 and EQ30 specifically) anyone have any opinions on it? Also my body is killing me hockey is hard

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SaucyPants posted:

Friends bought some ice time for a pickgame game to warm us before the season starts. Went to get my skates sharpened before hand and apparently my blades are all twisted to hell and my boot is busted because I am too heavy for it. I was looking at the Easton EQ series ( EQ4 and EQ30 specifically) anyone have any opinions on it? Also my body is killing me hockey is hard

I bought some EQ40's in the spring and like them just fine. No signs of wear or manufacturing issues, but I've only been skating about once a week this summer (and I'm not exactly giving them a hockey caliber workout when I do skate).

I tried on both EQ30 and EQ50's, the 30's felt pretty cheap and crappy.. I immediately rejected them. The EQ50 was like having my feet encased in clouds, but they were too expensive for my needs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Once you get it sorted out, going backwards is easier than going forward (at least, it is for me). It's why I prefer playing D. The only problem is, I'm still having a bitch of a time transitioning from skating forward to skating backward on the fly. loving mohawks!!! :argh:

The transitions are what get me every time.. I won't try them without a full shell of hockey gear on me, because I always dig an edge or something and land on my rear end. Teacher is all "it's easy man, just shift your weight as you twist!" and all I can do is :downs:

It probably doesn't help that I'm the newest skater by far in my learn to play, everyone is all "it took me a year before I was able to skate worth a drat!" and I'm on month 5.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Ow my groin...

Game went pretty well, we won and I had a goal. I seriously do not get why guys wear visors or nothing at all. You are not a pro, nor are you playing with pros. Wear a loving cage. A guy on my team took a slap shot clear to the visor, which shattered the visor and erupted blood from his face. Broke his nose and gave him a huge gash above his eye. He'll be okay though. We are now making it a team rule to have a cage.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 16, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not a question of if but when when it comes to not wearing a cage

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

The transitions are what get me every time.. I won't try them without a full shell of hockey gear on me, because I always dig an edge or something and land on my rear end. Teacher is all "it's easy man, just shift your weight as you twist!" and all I can do is :downs:

It probably doesn't help that I'm the newest skater by far in my learn to play, everyone is all "it took me a year before I was able to skate worth a drat!" and I'm on month 5.

I've been playing hockey for 10 years and I still occasionally catch an edge. It's part and parcel of the game. You'll get to where you eventually just kind of hop around, to keep your momentum. That said, the "proper" way involves keeping your skates mostly on the ice and doing a weight shift from outside to inside skate to skate as your hips rotate around.

Have you tried practicing your edge control in general? That will help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes.. I have a checklist of things to work on whenever I go skating, the problem is with no outdoor ice, I can only go work on it once or twice a week.

I'll get it eventually, but until then I reserve the right to complain on the internet. :v:

(I can't wait for winter to get here)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vital Signs posted:

Ow my groin...

Game went pretty well, we won and I had a goal. I seriously do not get why guys wear visors or nothing at all. You are not a pro, nor are you playing with pros. Wear a loving cage. A guy on my team took a slap shot clear to the visor, which shattered the visor and erupted blood from his face. Broke his nose and gave him a huge gash above his eye. He'll be okay though. We are now making it a team rule to have a cage.
Not saying wearing anything short of a cage is dumb (im dum), but guys taking shots from the point like they're Shea Weber in a beer league is pretty lame, regardless of what the guys in front of him are wearing.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Gio posted:

Not saying wearing anything short of a cage is dumb (im dum), but guys taking shots from the point like they're Shea Weber in a beer league is pretty lame, regardless of what the guys in front of him are wearing.
He was doing a hard around from behind his own net. I play in a fairly competitive league, and I see no problem with slap shots. It's not the guy who cleared it arounds fault.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Eh, I'm definitely not inclined to say it was since I don't know the circumstances, particularly since it wasn't a point shot. I got no problem with slap shots either, but--in a beer league where you're gonna have some dudes wearing half-visors or nothing at all--you gotta look up and use discretion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd hold off on a slap shot if the guy in front of me didn't have a cage, but I'd resent him forever for it.

Cage adds almost nothing to the cost of the helmet, doesn't limit vision at all, and prevents some really serious injuries. Macho dudes who refuse to wear one are the scum of the ice. :colbert:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You shouldn't be putting it high from the point either way. Beer league, drop-in, or whatever: If your shot goes high enough to hit someone in the face, you're an rear end in a top hat (not anyone in this thread, just in general).

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks for all the help with broomball stuff. One day I will put the few years into making me be able to skate and won't have to play the :downs: version of hockey.

Got my Chara-length stick now and sliding pants so I don't get a hip pointer again :allears: now just the wait till the season starts.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

By the rules in my league slapshots higher than the crossbar are supposed to result in a whistle and faceoff outside the zone. I've never actually seen that called though.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just to be clear, it wasn't a shot at all. It was a hard around clear that went high and hit someone in the face. The guy was behind his own net when he did it. Our guy was coming in to press, and their guy went to clear it without seeing that our guy was coming around.

I don't think slap shots in the league are the problem. I personally do not understand why USA hockey doesn't require that all levels of amateur play require cages. My USA fee goes up because you are too cool for a cage. Grow the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Ugh at an open hockey I saw this happen. My d-man cleared from behind our net and it bounced off the glass and right into a guy trying to keep it in the zone. Bam opened up a huge gash right under his eye.