Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Revol posted:

Technic 2012 1H: Due in February

I am so into that jet plane. Not only does it look like a cool set, but it has so much poo poo that I want. I have almost no red Technic pieces, I want more of those curved panel pieces, and I have never had those bendable axels either. I cannot wait for this.

I have no interest in the tow truck, but the quad looks kinda cool.

If you want some red panels and the bendy whatevers you should check out the Rescue helicopter: http://technic.lego.com/en-US/Products/8068.aspx My girlfriend got it for me for my birthday (third year in a row of Lego presents, best girlfriend) and it's really awesome. Actually my first Technic set which is surprising given how long I've had Legos. Rotors turn together, landing gear has a knob too. Pretty boss. That jet's sweet too, I might have to pick that up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Some upcoming Creator vehicles:

I really like a lot of these. The twin prop plane and the yellow jet fighter are pretty sweet, and the motorcycle has a nice simplicity to it. The blue car isn't terribly innovative, though it looks nice enough. I'm not sold on its alternate models (or on the prop plane's boxy hovercraft). The T-Rex looks kind of off to me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man, that vintage roadster, Harley and the brontosaur in the creator set are pretty sweet looking, and that tiny tiny fire engine is ridiculously cute. Any word on super sized Creator sets yet?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Not that I can tell, someone scanned a bunch of Polish retail catalog pages, this is the most comprehensive set I can find

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Ninjago ninjas are fighting egyptian snakemen now. :what:

Oh my, a jurassic park themed set for next year!

edit: You know what? That girl's set actually looks pretty decent. That one picture posted here is probably the worst set, all the others look quite nice.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 14, 2011

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looks like those girl-oriented sets (while following the dumb "girls don't like aliens or castles or stuff like that" line) will give us some awesome new colors (is that Maersk blue in some of those sets?).

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm liking the direction of the new firefighter sets. Putting out wildfires is a great way to employ the surplus firemen Lego City Community College cranks out every year.

A couple of those Dino vehicles look great. Star Wars looks boring as usual.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Time Cowboy posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm liking the direction of the new firefighter sets. Putting out wildfires is a great way to employ the surplus firemen Lego City Community College cranks out every year.

A couple of those Dino vehicles look great. Star Wars looks boring as usual.

Where are you guys seeing the sets?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
^ Follow Xenophon's link.

Professor Bling posted:

Looks like those girl-oriented sets (while following the dumb "girls don't like aliens or castles or stuff like that" line) will give us some awesome new colors (is that Maersk blue in some of those sets?).

It's dark azure, the color of the human uniforms in Alien Conquest. There's also a bit of it in the new Spongebob sets this year.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shuppiluliumas posted:

^ Follow Xenophon's link.

It's dark azure, the color of the human uniforms in Alien Conquest. There's also a bit of it in the new Spongebob sets this year.

I'm talking about the pale blue in this image, lower left especially.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

I'm talking about the pale blue in this image, lower left especially.

Pretty sure it is dark azure. I think the darker blue is just blue. It could be something else, but they're basically forbidden from using Maersk blue for any non-Maersk sets, so I highly doubt it's that. The lower left one is lighter than the others, but I bet that's more to do with the photo than the actual color of the brick. You can compare it to the pictures of the new Spongebob set -

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Heroic-Heroes-of-the-Deep-3815?c=SpongeBob-SquarePants-ByTheme

It's not exact, but these are preliminary images, and it looks like they've been photographed, by which I mean the catalog was photographed, rather than scanned.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 14, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So if I have a bag that I know had a gladiator in it, is there any way to tell from the UPC or serial number or whatever that other bags in Target will also have gladiators?

Feeling for the helmet helped a lot, but the English guard guy and the dwarf also have really huge hats.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So if I have a bag that I know had a gladiator in it, is there any way to tell from the UPC or serial number or whatever that other bags in Target will also have gladiators?

Nope.
Well, sort of. There's a pattern of dots on the bottom of the back of the package. They're a slightly different texture and you have to get the light right to see them, and that's assuming they're well-defined or even there. If you have identical lot numbers (which are actually printed), then the dot patterns should be identical across that particular minifig. Bag-feel is much more reliable. The Gladiator's helmet is easy because it's so big and it has several well-defined ridges: the crest, the visor, the chin, and the nape of the neck.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So when is LEGO gonna get wise and get the license for a back to the future line?

Who here wouldn't buy a Delorean? Seriously. Clocktower set? The Train? They would fly off shelves.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I miss the Mi-24 dino-hunter copter. That thing was loving sick-nasty.

At least the snakemen (and the mini cobras) look rad and mean that you can have some sweet DIY Heroica stuff.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

So when is LEGO gonna get wise and get the license for a back to the future line?

Who here wouldn't buy a Delorean? Seriously. Clocktower set? The Train? They would fly off shelves.

Town plan: http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=10184-1 came out a few years ago that is pretty close to a Back to the Future theme. It has a clock tower, movie theater and gas station.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Xenophon posted:

Some upcoming Creator vehicles:

Holy poo poo that planes lovely, I'm just starting to collect again and Sky Pirate MOCs always impress me, so this would be a good base.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Probably gonna skip the tow truck, all it is is big but doesn't seem to have that many features. All the other technic sets look good. Might get the creator dinosaur, to combine it with my red dragon

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What happened to the massive creator and technic sets? That tow truck is underwhelming and the creator sets look small.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

They usually come out in the fall

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

EvilJoven posted:

What happened to the massive creator and technic sets? That tow truck is underwhelming and the creator sets look small.

March and August usually. The supercar didn't come out until March this year, and the Unimog(still need to buy that!) came out in August.

Apparently the flagship for 2012 technic will be a rock crawler kinda excited for it hoping it uses larger than the 94mm wheels but anything less will be disapointing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I forget if anyone else is doing the MBA program, but the third set should be out for everyone now (robots and mecha suits).

Overall, the 2nd and 3rd sets really don't compare to the 1st one in terms of how interesting the models are and how much attention was given to the alternate builds. I'm still glad to be doing this, though. There is something fun about LEGOs showing up in the mail unexpectedly.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
No sign of kingdoms? :ohdear:

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

The Ninjago ninjas are fighting egyptian snakemen now. :what:

But... but... an airship!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Medieval Market Village is $89.86 on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/LEGO%C2%AE-Castle-Medieval-Market-Village/dp/B001USHRCK from $99.

Just picked one up :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GrumbleGrumble posted:

But... but... an airship!

I'm sure you're mistaken! I see boats, jets, jetskis, bikes, dune buggies, a helicopter that shoots snakes, but no airship!

Ninjago is the one theme that has me going :wtc: every time I look at it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I'm sure you're mistaken! I see boats, jets, jetskis, bikes, dune buggies, a helicopter that shoots snakes, but no airship!

Wait...is that helicopter firing snakes?

How many SPM does your average ninjacopter fire anyway? Im talking about cobras, not those stupid little garter snake peashooters.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I found This list of sets rumored to be released in 2012. It was posted in august, but most of the things posted seem to have held true so far.
If it all checks out, this will be cool:
6860 The Batcave (Super Heroes)
6867 Iron Man (Super Heroes)
4205 Off Road Command Centre (City)
4439 Police Heavy Lift Helicopter (City)
4435 Car and Caravan (City)
4440 Forest Police Station (City)
4442 Crooks Hideout (City)

Edit: Found some more scans from the same blog: http://www.bricktuts.com/2011/09/lego-2012-pictures/
Apparently the Super heroes line will not be sets with minifigs (at least, not all of them) :(

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 15, 2011

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Apparently the Super heroes line will not be sets with minifigs (at least, not all of them) :(

No, we knew this when they were first announced. One range of minifig-scale sets (presumaby only one of each minifig, considering the range they have to cover) and one Hero Factory-style range of large figures.

Also, there will definitely be more Heroica sets, as the play mat/storage box that was released for Heroica lists seven different scenarios, not just the four already released.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

SynthOrange posted:

If you look at the small round picture under the boat it appears to transforms into some kind of airship.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Pardon me sirs, but I do believe those are Dinosaur themed sets.

WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT DINOSAUR THEMED SETS?!

It's loving Jurassic Park Lego!

It's everything I've ever wanted!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Sockser posted:

WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT DINOSAUR THEMED SETS?!

Because look at the scans. They are all pretty meh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The vehicles are great, but I dislike the action figure dinos. They're okay, but just arent LEGOey.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Yeah, I would love good Lego dinosaurs, but those are the same ones they've been using. Frankly they look like crap. Vehicles are cool though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The dinosaurs look lame. They're the ones from a few years ago. Bleh!

Faerunner posted:

Medieval Market Village is $89.86 on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/LEGO%C2%AE-Castle-Medieval-Market-Village/dp/B001USHRCK from $99.

Just picked one up :)

Wow, that is a lot of pieces. I felt like splurging on a big huge set like this, I was gonna get the Alien Invasion HQ thing, but now I dunno...

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Because Belleville was such a hot property, right?

Seriously, girls like aliens and knights and poo poo too. I'm a guy and I'm offended by this kind of marketing.

I was watching House Crashers or something on the DIY network. They made a really neat den then opened the sliding doors to reveal a lot of boxes of LEGO for the kits. Yup. Big Ninjago and the Egyptian stuff and the Alien Invasion. And a pink plastic box of loose bricks for the girl. I was pissed then just sad. LEGOs are LEGOs. Gender neutral, goddammit.

Testro
May 2, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Wow, that is a lot of pieces. I felt like splurging on a big huge set like this, I was gonna get the Alien Invasion HQ thing, but now I dunno...

Get MMV - it will be the best thing you've built in a long time.

As for the girl discussion...all I ever wanted was some more female minifigures. Got some pirates? Brill, let's have a few female pirates. Got some cops? Brill, let's have a few female cops. Got some firefighters? ....you get the picture.

The message from Lego themselves seems to be that if you're the type of girl who's already playing with Lego, they don't need to do more to keep you - they're trying to focus on the girls who are showing no interest. I sort of see the logic, but it pains me. I think they shy away from adding females to the general sets for fear of scaring off boys.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Testro posted:

The message from Lego themselves seems to be that if you're the type of girl who's already playing with Lego, they don't need to do more to keep you - they're trying to focus on the girls who are showing no interest. I sort of see the logic, but it pains me. I think they shy away from adding females to the general sets for fear of scaring off boys.

Girls will buy boy toys, boys will not buy girl toys. Hell, I have trouble selling games that have both genders on the box to grandmas because they see the girl and say "that's a girl game, I'm shopping for a boy."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Karma Tornado posted:

Girls will buy boy toys, boys will not buy girl toys.

This is the excuse Mattel probably used when making Avatar: Last Airbender action figures (a cartoon with a pretty egalitarian gender split in both heroes and villains). After a while it became a bad a joke, you got "random enemy soldier" and "main dude in 15th different costume variant" without two of the four main protagonists because they happened to be female, or any of the female villains or supporting cast.

Problem with that logic is a) boys liked the SHOW just fine, girls and all, and b) loads of action figure series have female characters which sell just fine, or at LEAST well enough to do a limited run or a small number of major characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Is there a system where you can generally look up prices and price comparisons by part and such? For example, let's say I want to find a fantasy set with the best price per part ratio released between 2009 and 2011, or the cheapest Star Wars set with over 300 parts. Is there somewhere I can do that? I know brickset has this information, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to look it up.