Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boondock Saint posted:

Also, I really wish someone would make a bridge commander type game like Star Trek got all those years ago.
The Star Trek: Bridge Commander that the same guys who made TIE Fighter went on to do? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Star Trek: Bridge Commander that the same guys who made TIE Fighter went on to do? :suicide:

Yeah that but for Star Wars rather than Star Trek.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
As long as we're talking personal wishes here, I want a game where I can fly a TIE Defender and play tricks with the tractor beam with like in the Isard's Revenge book.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nessus posted:

There appears to be at least some degree of connection to an organic entity. After all, otherwise you could build a Force-using droid.

Has that been done :(

Sort of. :(

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
^ e: haha, I didn't know this one.

Nessus posted:

There appears to be at least some degree of connection to an organic entity. After all, otherwise you could build a Force-using droid.

Has that been done :(

Yes, of course it has.

Although this one has a tiny bit of wiggle room.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Are there full on official language guides for Star Wars races like in Avatar and Star Trek? How detailed are they? Could I learn to speak jabanese or salatiun crumbish or maybe ewokie talkie?

In theory.

I'm sure there's fan stuff, but have they done anything that is official?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The closest you'll get is mando'a.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Couldn't you technically at least translate poo poo into aurubesh, though?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of Star Wars langauges I hate that somehow Bantha Fodder somehow has become the Star Wars version of poop for some reason.

Fodder is what you feed animals dammit!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Never thought of that before, that's really weird.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wait, that blinking Ewok thing is real? I thought it was just some "LOL GEORGE LUCAS LOL" joke someone posted online. What the gently caress

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wait, that blinking Ewok thing is real? I thought it was just some "LOL GEORGE LUCAS LOL" joke someone posted online. What the gently caress

It's the least offensive of the changes.

I don't mind stuff like that, or cleaning up explosions or matting or brightening engines and lightsabers - it's the stuff that changes the actual story - like Han and Greedo shooting simultaneously or NOOOOOO!

The Ewok's blinking is the kind of change that I don't mind, and even... like... :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Star Wars langauges I hate that somehow Bantha Fodder somehow has become the Star Wars version of poop for some reason.

Wait what I remember that being bantha poodoo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"poodoo" "dooku"

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

arioch posted:

"poodoo" "dooku"

You remind me of a Jedi...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's the least offensive of the changes.

I don't mind stuff like that, or cleaning up explosions or matting or brightening engines and lightsabers - it's the stuff that changes the actual story - like Han and Greedo shooting simultaneously or NOOOOOO!

The Ewok's blinking is the kind of change that I don't mind, and even... like... :ohdear:

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord

Tuxedo Jack posted:

...it's the stuff that changes the actual story - like Han and Greedo shooting simultaneously or NOOOOOO!
Neither of those change the story. You could argue that they messed with characterization in a minor way but it's not like Greedo shooting first leads to Han having a epiphany from his brush with death and therefore turns down Kenobi's gig and goes to do blow off a Twi'lek stripper's tits. That would be changing the story.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Amaritudo posted:

Neither of those change the story. You could argue that they messed with characterization in a minor way but it's not like Greedo shooting first leads to Han having a epiphany from his brush with death and therefore turns down Kenobi's gig and goes to do blow off a Twi'lek stripper's tits. That would be changing the story.

Still, don't be obtuse, you understand my meaning. General effects updates are less aggravating than an entire song & dance sequence being dumped into the third film.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fox of Stone posted:

Wait what I remember that being bantha poodoo.

It clearly is subtitled in ROTJ as Bantha Fodder when Jabba says poodoo though, as I can recall.

And oh god why do I know this, Sebulba speaks Huttese and uses it as a retarded swear word in TPM and ever since it has been used as a swear word. I don't understand why a silly thing like this sticks in my throat either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The worst part is it then suddenly starts showing up in EU novels, and suddenly Luke Skywalker who hasn't used that word in ~60 years of living starts saying "poodoo" every 50 pages.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It could be worse.

"Emperors black bones!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It could be worse.

"Emperors black bones!"

"Dark greetings!"

Man, that was a crazy fad wasn't it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think that ironically showed up in some X-Wing books.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It could be worse.

"Emperors black bones!"

Sithspit!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How could you? :mad:

My hypothetical HDTV versions just weren't doing it for me anymore. Hypothetically. :smith:

e: ^^^ it did, Corran was a fan of them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

arioch posted:

I think that ironically showed up in some X-Wing books.

Someone has to wear a single blaster pistol shaped ear ring and the circle will be complete.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I know this is a few pages late but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkKtAjEbj4&feature=player_detailpage#t=38s

Had me in tears.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

^^^Haha, that's great.

"I get the hologram, guys"

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 15, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Moola posted:

Had me in tears.

I love this one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Asjh-HjRE&feature=related

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Moola posted:

Had me in tears.

I laughed so hard my back cracked!

This one is pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHRO9B6wQo

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Amaritudo posted:

It's not that it changes the story so much as that it ruins two very iconic and characterizing moments for Vader and Han. As was said earlier, the NOOOO! ruins the silent turmoil that Vader was feeling using nothing more than Prowse's body language and some cosmetic damage to the armor. We see the usually unstoppable Vader defeated, cast aside, and struggling between his love for his estranged son and his loyalty to the Emperor and his acceptance of the hosed up life he made for himself. Adding a big hammy no to the scene detracts from why that scene worked so well.

The first time I saw the Greedo scene it did a great job of showing that Han had pissed off some very bad people and they were sending killers after him. We get to see that if there is a hero in this story the pilot is not it. He's going to get his job done and isn't above dealing dirty to come out on top. Greedo is a legitimate threat and Han shoots him the moment he realizes that there's no way to talk his way out of the confrontation. What Greedo shooting and missing ruins is that Greedo is no longer a real threat. He misses at point blank range and once the first shot is fired all tension is gone from the scene. Sure Han is now 100% justified in killing him but it just kills the moment to have one of these hardcore criminals shoot at someone sitting 3 feet away and miss.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
When will Lucas make Special Editions of Caravan of Courage and the Battle for Endor?

Now THOSE would be movies that could benefit from altering... the live action actors. WOOWEE were they terrible.

Except for that evil witch in the Battle for Endor. She was kind of cool (and she was also in Dune, so hey).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Razorwired posted:

It's not that it changes the story so much as that it ruins two very iconic and characterizing moments for Vader and Han. As was said earlier, the NOOOO! ruins the silent turmoil that Vader was feeling using nothing more than Prowse's body language and some cosmetic damage to the armor. We see the usually unstoppable Vader defeated, cast aside, and struggling between his love for his estranged son and his loyalty to the Emperor and his acceptance of the hosed up life he made for himself. Adding a big hammy no to the scene detracts from why that scene worked so well.

The first time I saw the Greedo scene it did a great job of showing that Han had pissed off some very bad people and they were sending killers after him. We get to see that if there is a hero in this story the pilot is not it. He's going to get his job done and isn't above dealing dirty to come out on top. Greedo is a legitimate threat and Han shoots him the moment he realizes that there's no way to talk his way out of the confrontation. What Greedo shooting and missing ruins is that Greedo is no longer a real threat. He misses at point blank range and once the first shot is fired all tension is gone from the scene. Sure Han is now 100% justified in killing him but it just kills the moment to have one of these hardcore criminals shoot at someone sitting 3 feet away and miss.

I know they keep reducing the frames to make it seem like they both fired at the same time but I do like the idea of Han having a dirty past and that he's not above killing someone before he gets killed.

What gets me is that Greedo is aiming directly at Han, elbow on the table, aim steadied. It seems like it is nearly impossible to miss. To digitally alter Han to "shrug" out of the way gives him this uncanny reflex to know when Greedo is about to shoot. If Lucas wanted it to change in a way to make Greedo shoot first, they should have had Han flip the table over and dive away while Greedo is shooting at him and Han shoots back. But since you can't do that without making it look like a big gently caress YOU, Lucas used what he had. The problem is that it is an iconic and memorable scene that is ingrained in people's minds that Han is a good guy but with a dirty past. The other problem is that you have the originals with Han shooting first, then special editions with Greedo shooting first. If Lucas were to change it back again, he'd show that he bends to the will of millions of nerds like us. He knows how much of a dick move it is and left it in there because he's old, he has a shitload upon shitload of buckets of cash and knows we'll buy whatever he throws at us.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SeanBeansShako posted:

Banthas eat their own poop. There, solved.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Banthas eat their own poop. There, solved.

There is a horrible nightmare image for you. Even worse tjan Chewbacca dingle berries.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just have a random question. Is there a consensus on what Star Wars video game had the best implementation of the speeder bike scene on Endor?

I know there have been several over the years, but from memory all I recall is the on-rails one from Rebel Assault (II?) and me swapping the car model in Need for Speed 3 to some custom speeder bike someone made.

Edit: oh Super Star Wars ROTJ for super nintendo, but I don't recall how good it was. And stealing a speeder bike in SW: Battlefront was okay, but the level wasn't that huge.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wasn't there an Endor speeder bike chase in Rebel Strike? I seem to remember it being on-rails, but pretty decent, outside the endless engine zoom sound which sounded more like my stomach before my colon treats the toilet like the Death Star did Alderaan.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Rebel Strike was so, so terrible. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader was all the fun you'll need.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ringo Star Get posted:

Rebel Strike was so, so terrible. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader was all the fun you'll need.

Rogue Leader was a great looking game. I wish I had my Wii so I could fire it up once in a while. On that note, why is the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game from Sega not available on any consoles?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

The only reason I bought Rebel Strike was to do Rogue Leader co-op and kick my friends' asses in multiplayer in the Y-wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Timby posted:

Wasn't there an Endor speeder bike chase in Rebel Strike? I seem to remember it being on-rails, but pretty decent, outside the endless engine zoom sound which sounded more like my stomach before my colon treats the toilet like the Death Star did Alderaan.
The only speeder bike-esque gameplay that I can remember having any fun with was Shadows of the Empire's swoop level.