Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Profane Obituary! posted:

Is there any compelling reason to pick Microserver vs That Nice looking Lian Li case + newegg parts?

The cost will probably be roughly similar, but I don't know enough about the microserver to make an informed decision.
Warranty?
I'm not sure how good HP is with stuff like that, especially now, but it would be worth pretty much to have someone to ask when stuff fails.

We used a Shuttle case for a customers small server, turns out shuttle and certain harddrive manufacturers weren't compatible. So we have to run 3.5" Samsung SATA drives in it to get normal speeds, with the Seeagate we tried first we got down to around 2mb/s transfer rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For whatever reason, hard drive manufacturers have been releasing their largest HD's in external-only at first.

How long does it generally take before they sell them bare?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/12/five_platters_4_tb/

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Somehow a 5 platter drive doesn't sound very reliable to me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

For whatever reason, hard drive manufacturers have been releasing their largest HD's in external-only at first.
Because externals have the shortest qual. You make sure it works with one SATA to USB bridge and ship it, instead of testing on hundreds of motherboards and SATA controllers and operating system combinations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rodney Chops posted:

Yea I guess theres no reason to use naslite if freenas does the same thing. It just sucks because a pile of my music and videos are not compatible with PS3. So i'm going to have run it all through handbrake before loading it on my nas. :(

Actually setting up ps3ms on freenas (as long as it isn't freenas8) is pretty easy.

I did install it on my microserver straight up, but after finding I didn't need it, just used upnp.

http://www.homemultimedianetwork.com/Guides/Installing-PS3-Media-Server-on-FreeNAS.php

Easy step-by-step instructions for freenas 6 & 7, bothe 32 and 64 bit versions.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Puddin posted:

Actually setting up ps3ms on freenas (as long as it isn't freenas8) is pretty easy.

I did install it on my microserver straight up, but after finding I didn't need it, just used upnp.

http://www.homemultimedianetwork.com/Guides/Installing-PS3-Media-Server-on-FreeNAS.php

Easy step-by-step instructions for freenas 6 & 7, bothe 32 and 64 bit versions.

Holy crap. You are my hero. Thats exactly the type of idiot proof intructions I need to actually complete something. Internet high-five for you.

Thanks a ton.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
No wucking furries!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Profane Obituary! posted:

Is there any compelling reason to pick Microserver vs That Nice looking Lian Li case + newegg parts?

The cost will probably be roughly similar, but I don't know enough about the microserver to make an informed decision.

underlig posted:

Warranty?
I'm not sure how good HP is with stuff like that, especially now, but it would be worth pretty much to have someone to ask when stuff fails.

We used a Shuttle case for a customers small server, turns out shuttle and certain harddrive manufacturers weren't compatible. So we have to run 3.5" Samsung SATA drives in it to get normal speeds, with the Seeagate we tried first we got down to around 2mb/s transfer rates.

Re: warranty, HP voids the warranty on the entire MicroServer if you install non-HP drives. As in, not buying their $500/disk 2TB hard drives in special caddies, even though the MicroServer doesn't use caddies. That's what stopped me from getting the MicroServer. If warranty is a major concern, I only have high praise for Dell, who has given me some of my most enjoyable tech support calls, even willing to troubleshoot the non-Dell array drives. Even with an educational or Representative discount, it's still very pricey, though.

As for kitted parts vs. MicroServer, it can actually be pretty tough to compete with the MicroServer once you take into account extras like replacing the stupid glowing front fan or swapping noisier motherboard stock fans with low-noise cooling, adding the system drive, upgrading the RAM, getting a non-poo poo power supply, and getting enough SATA cables. I mean, it's quite possible, especially with AMD E350 boards, but it's a decent amount of work and not a lot of cost savings.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

BnT posted:

Microserver with 4GB RAM
USB thumbdrive with ESXi installed onto it
One local disk imported into the VMware host as a local storage
Additional disks mapped into the FreeNAS or whatever VM with RDM

Is there really much point in installing ESXi on something with only 4 gigs of ram?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

bob arctor posted:

Is there really much point in installing ESXi on something with only 4 gigs of ram?
my esxi box at home has only 2GB :( Enough for a DC, vyatta router, and 2 linux VMs.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The microserver can also take ECC ram which is a feature you are unlikely to find on anything else approaching the same price range.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Can I get a critique of my planned NAS please?

I plan on getting 2 of the 3k5 drives to start with and expand up to 6 of them in a RAID6 for 8TB of storage. The server will run Arch Linux and may host a few KVM guests. I'll be using a 160gb 2.5" drive to boot from. If you guys know how I can convert this to a setup that will run ESXi 4.1u1 without spending too much more I'd love to know what parts to get.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Can I get a critique of my planned NAS please?

WTF is the Hitachi coolspin? I've been avoiding any drive that isn't straight up non-green 7200rpm. The Hitachis haven't dropped price in a year, so I'm still waiting to pick up more because there's no way I can justify the same price for another set of HDs a year later.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

feld posted:

WTF is the Hitachi coolspin? I've been avoiding any drive that isn't straight up non-green 7200rpm. The Hitachis haven't dropped price in a year, so I'm still waiting to pick up more because there's no way I can justify the same price for another set of HDs a year later.

I'm pretty sure Coolspin is just Hitachi's way of hiding the fact the drive spins at something like 5900 RPM instead of 7200 RPM. I could be wrong though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Tornhelm posted:

The microserver can also take ECC ram which is a feature you are unlikely to find on anything else approaching the same price range.
This mostly has to do with the CPU being an AMD (almost all their CPUs support ECC RAM). It's just been an issue of crappy motherboard selection for AMD based systems for... ever and the pesky problem of cases for these small form factor machines.

It's unbelievably hard to find PSUs that would be optimally low-watt and reliable enough for most file server uses, if you're concerned about power consumption.

If you're concerned about HP honoring warranty, what's stopping you from just lying and removing the drives before sending in for a warranty repair? Unless it's real obvious there were drives sitting in the bays they can't exactly prove you voided it.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I have a friend who has this setup through Firewire 800: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT+Optic/T5R5ESUF/

He needs more space, and also a second person working on it at the same time. So I'm going to build a FreeNAS machine for him with RAID-Z. Each computer has a gigabit ethernet controller, the router has gigabit ports, and so will the FreeNAS server.

The FreeNAS server should be much faster than their current Dat Optic setup right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Depends on the overhead of all the networking voodoo* and how that thing does on FW800. In my experience (albeit with lesser externals) FW maxes out at about 80MB/sec sustained, and while I have no clue about hard latency numbers, I've run a few systems booted off of it and the experience is fine so I guess you can consider it pretty good there too.

*If this is for OS X machines I'd definitely look into how well or not they play with FreeNAS...it can suck with some network shares for whatever reason. And I guess make sure the files they're using aren't dependent on being local or on HFS+ drives or something.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I'm not sure if this was answered before, but I'm having a little issue with a hard drive that used to be a member of an old raid-5 array I had.

The other 5 member disks I was able to remove the volume, re-initialize and format and then they were like normal drives again, but no matter what I do with this drive it still shows up as the old raid-5 space, and when I try to do anything to correct the size, VHD in windows 2008 r2 fails with a "system cannot find the file specified"...

I've scoured the internet for hours trying to get this thing to act right, I'm thinking that the drive itself might be borked but I'm not entirely sure. Can anyone suggest a program that would be able to at least confirm that my disk is busted, or possibly even fix it?

Edit:

Fishmanpet posted:

The drive mantufacturer might have a utility to test the drive, otherwise an Ubuntu live CD can easily read SMART data from the drive.

As for repair, unplug all the other drives from the computer, boot a DBAN disk, and do a one pass wipe on the drive to clear it completely.

Thanks, I used option number 2 and everything is all good again :)

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 20, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

originalnickname posted:

I'm not sure if this was answered before, but I'm having a little issue with a hard drive that used to be a member of an old raid-5 array I had.

The other 5 member disks I was able to remove the volume, re-initialize and format and then they were like normal drives again, but no matter what I do with this drive it still shows up as the old raid-5 space, and when I try to do anything to correct the size, VHD in windows 2008 r2 fails with a "system cannot find the file specified"...

I've scoured the internet for hours trying to get this thing to act right, I'm thinking that the drive itself might be borked but I'm not entirely sure. Can anyone suggest a program that would be able to at least confirm that my disk is busted, or possibly even fix it?

The drive mantufacturer might have a utility to test the drive, otherwise an Ubuntu live CD can easily read SMART data from the drive.

As for repair, unplug all the other drives from the computer, boot a DBAN disk, and do a one pass wipe on the drive to clear it completely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why that case over the cheaper (and equipped with room for a non-poo poo power supply) Lian-Li Q25?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why that case over the cheaper (and equipped with room for a non-poo poo power supply) Lian-Li Q25?

I assume you're talking to me? I didn't know the Q25 was available to be honest. But since it is, I'll swap the Q25 for the Array R2 case. What's a good power supply?

Edit: That's one weird case. I'd be worried about the noise from any drives mounted on the bottom row.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 15, 2011

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

japtor posted:

Depends on the overhead of all the networking voodoo* and how that thing does on FW800. In my experience (albeit with lesser externals) FW maxes out at about 80MB/sec sustained, and while I have no clue about hard latency numbers, I've run a few systems booted off of it and the experience is fine so I guess you can consider it pretty good there too.

*If this is for OS X machines I'd definitely look into how well or not they play with FreeNAS...it can suck with some network shares for whatever reason. And I guess make sure the files they're using aren't dependent on being local or on HFS+ drives or something.

They are OS X machines, so I will check into that some more. My main worry is getting them this new setup and having it run slower than the Firewire RAID, especially when they already complain about the speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not sure on the PC-Q25 power supply, supposedly depth can become an issue with it. I'd imagine you can get some rubber to put under a drive mounted on the bottom tray if noise becomes an issue, or just use it for a boot SSD or something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

If the PC-Q25 is like most other aluminum Lian Li cases, get ready for some irritating resonance/humming from the hard drives. The rubber HDD mounts that came with my -B25 don't do poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For the record - it's hardly the best-written review but it's better than nothing.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4294/lian_li_pc_q25_mini_q_sff_chassis_review/index1.html

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd consider the Q25 over the Fractal Design case just on cost alone. Coincidentally, Fractal Design has Lian Li as their OEM, so both are Lian Li cases fundamentally anyway. For a file server in one of those cases I'd be aiming for about a 150w PSU and as low-power of a CPU as you can get away with. At that pricepoint you're starting to step squarely into the range of an HP Microserver, so unless you're a real stickler about the number of drives, need a 5.25" bay real bad, or want different hardware than the Microserver you're hitting diminishing returns with the Fractal Design case+PSU. If the pricepoint was maybe $60 lower it'd be a very strong contender (at the very least it'd mean free PSU compared to the Q25).

On a size basis, here's the top contenders:

Lian Li PC-Q25: 14.41" x 7.83" x 11.02"
Fractal Design Array R2: 13.78" x 9.84" x 7.87"
HP Microserver: 26.7 x 21.0 x 26.0 cm (10.5 x 8.3 x 10.2 in)

Kinda hard to beat a complete custom solution with economy of scale to work for a small, low-power file server.

movax posted:

The rubber HDD mounts that came with my -B25 don't do poo poo.
I've got an A04 microATX mini tower and mostly what I hear is from the video card's fans and the included case fans rather than vibration, hum, or resonant frequencies from my SSD and 1TB WD Black drive. I had rubberized screws and grommets in my drive cage, and the rubberized screws might be the difference since they weren't provided before.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop
I finally picked up a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Pro, because XRaid2 fit my storage needs the best, and I'm liking it so far. The rebuilds as I add drives is taking forever (24-74 hrs for 2tb disks).

As I move data to the NAS via SMB, I notice that my network utilization looks weird. I'm moving big (4gb+ files over) and when the connection should be sustained and steady, it looks like this

This is with a gigabit nic, gigabit switch, and gigabit on the ReadyNAS. All have 9k jumbo frames enabled/configured. Is this normal network behavior for this kind of setup?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

angelfoodcakez posted:

This is with a gigabit nic, gigabit switch, and gigabit on the ReadyNAS. All have 9k jumbo frames enabled/configured. Is this normal network behavior for this kind of setup?
No. I personally would kill the jumbo frames and see what happens.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

angelfoodcakez posted:

On my ReadyNAS Duo I had to change the MTUs before I started getting decent file movement. Once I did that it hasn't given me any problems.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VerySolidSnake posted:

They are OS X machines, so I will check into that some more. My main worry is getting them this new setup and having it run slower than the Firewire RAID, especially when they already complain about the speed.
Maybe ask over in the Mac software or hardware thread, not sure which one is more applicable though.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop
I've disabled jumbo frames on the PC end. Disabled them on the ReadyNAS, but it says it won't take effect until I reboot, which I can't because it's still restriping a disk. It should be enough to turn it off on the PC end, though, right?

I'm still getting the same spikes, but this time they top out at ~75% of the gigabit connection instead of 50%

I didn't figure that the background restriping would cause network traffic like this. I figured it would make for slower writes, but I guessed that would look different.

calandryll, what did you change the MTU to? My realtek gb nic tops out at 9K frames, and when I check the enable jumbo frames checkbox, the MTU defaults to 9000 as well. Did you change it to anything other than that?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

angelfoodcakez posted:

calandryll, what did you change the MTU to? My realtek gb nic tops out at 9K frames, and when I check the enable jumbo frames checkbox, the MTU defaults to 9000 as well. Did you change it to anything other than that?

I don't have jumbo frames enabled and it is set to 1492. I don't remember what the DUO defaults to but that was what I saw suggested on their forums, which are pretty useful if you are having problems.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I got really good results with tuning the freebsd TCP parameters, it helped me go from 50 Mb/s sustained to 90-100 MB/s sustained on my freenas box. Maybe you can find similar tuning options for readynas?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

angelfoodcakez posted:

I've disabled jumbo frames on the PC end. Disabled them on the ReadyNAS, but it says it won't take effect until I reboot, which I can't because it's still restriping a disk. It should be enough to turn it off on the PC end, though, right?

I'm still getting the same spikes, but this time they top out at ~75% of the gigabit connection instead of 50%

I didn't figure that the background restriping would cause network traffic like this. I figured it would make for slower writes, but I guessed that would look different.

Are the spikes while you are re-building the array you are using to "test" it?

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop
I was moving data to the array while I was adding new disks to expand it. XRaid2 allows for online array expansion after the initial array build.

Now that all the drives are added and expansion and restriping are finished, though, I'm still getting the same spiky network traffic. Both with and without jumbo frames.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I'm in the market for a NAS and am looking at the 2 disk ARM based units (either the Synology 211j or the Qnap TS-212). In addition to storage and download duties I would also like to put some type of source control on it for a couple of personal projects. I'm familiar with Perforce and it's free for two users or less so I wouldn't mind going with it. They have Linux ARM binaries of their tools, but I can't find any confirmation that they work on these NAS units. Is there anyone out there with one of these units who could grab the Perforce server binary (p4d) and see if it even runs?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

angelfoodcakez posted:

Now that all the drives are added and expansion and restriping are finished, though, I'm still getting the same spiky network traffic. Both with and without jumbo frames.
Attached is a picture of my network utilization copying ~30GB of data over SMB at 36MB/second. The array in question is a raidz2 (aka raid-6) array of green drives in an openindiana machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Have you tried a different protocol and/or CIFS client? I seem to recall having similar issues with transferring files via standard Windows methods ages ago.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I put a SATA2 drive on my M1015 with SASto4xSATA cable that has 3xSATA3 5k3000 drives on it already, will it slow everything down to SATA2? Would it just be better to put it on my motherboards controller which is SATA2?

I got a smallish SSD on sale and want to add a read cache (I don't want to use a consumer level SSD as a write cache and I get pretty decent write performance anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1. It doesn't matter if your 5,000 RPM hard drives negotiate at gen2 instead of gen3.

2. Drives should negotiate at their own speeds and not bring the entire bus down.