Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Bummed about losing premier gold, but at least I get one more upgrade. I'll still be sticking with Sprint as long as they're cheaper than every other carrier.

Edit: vvv Same here 27% buddy

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Main reason I stick with Sprint is my 27% discount I have gotten for almost 10 years. It has been 7 years since I worked for Citibank but it keeps on giving.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

The premier program ending surprised me. Honest question: how many people here, once having XX new phone, would need yearly upgrades?

Well, to be honest I would. Manufacturers and Sprint have a problem with supporting their phones for at least that timeframe.

EVO 4G: released June 4 2010, EOL September/October 2011.
Epic 4G: Released August 31, 2010, EOL September/October 2011.
HTC Hero: Released October 11, 2009, EOL July/August 2010.

e: Before I forget to clarify, I'm OK with the fact that it's impossible to perpetually future-proof your devices. But dealing with Team TeenTitans and their SUPERDUPERKAWAII ~Danger-u~ ROM for the second half of a contract to retain the ability to access the full breadth of the market is quite the slight.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 15, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Well, to be honest I would. Manufacturers and Sprint have a problem with supporting their phones for at least that timeframe.
Those EOL dates make sense with regard to stopping sale of devices in store (once remaining stock clears or whatever). But does EOL necessarily mean end of software support?

I know historically non-Google Android devices have been pretty hosed on updates, and I don't expect the Evo or Epic to get official ICS. But if Google holds handset manufacturers to providing updates for 18 months on post-ICS devices, and Sprint moves to 20 month upgrades, that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Still sucks for premier folks though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Google recently came to an agreement with some of their 'partners' about supporting devices for at least 18 months so that's most of the way through a contract.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Aww boo even us employees don't get yearly upgrades anymore :(

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is it normal that I've been at work for 6 hours and my evo gps still thinks I'm 30 miles away at home? Happens every day.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Alman posted:

Aww boo even us employees don't get yearly upgrades anymore :(

This just seems stupid. I'd think you'd want your employees to have access to all of the phones so they could make recommendations.

Sprint is quickly losing their appeal for me. All the random fees and charges are making even my SERO account with $15/mo of the price of other carriers.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

This just seems stupid. I'd think you'd want your employees to have access to all of the phones so they could make recommendations.

Sprint is quickly losing their appeal for me. All the random fees and charges are making even my SERO account with $15/mo of the price of other carriers.

Ironically sprint is expanding for the first time policies for indirect employees, who starting Monday can finally get discount phone pricing. Took long enough.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

oxbrain posted:

Well, you gotta make money somehow. Would you rather have all these perks like the premier program, cheaper ETF, and quicker upgrades or would you rather have unlimited data? Either way, there's still a key differentiator (sp?) between Sprint and Verizon/AT&T.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Alman posted:

Well, you gotta make money somehow. Would you rather have all these perks like the premier program, cheaper ETF, and quicker upgrades or would you rather have unlimited data? Either way, there's still a key differentiator (sp?) between Sprint and Verizon/AT&T.

Most of the places I use my phone I've got wifi, so my 3g use is minimal. The 4g signal around here is poo poo, so I never even turn that on.

I'm a pretty minimal user of data, texts, and minutes so for me it's always been about cost, phones available, signal, and customer service. Their signal area has always been worse, their phones are about on par, and they've always been way ahead for cost and CS. Now they're just down to having better customer service than anyone else.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
This is all because of the goddamn iphone!

Suck it up Sprint, Android loving, brethren. We must bear our cross for the greater good. We don't want the iphone but Sprint needs it to stay afloat.

I JUST hit my 10 years too. The iphone costs too much money to give anyone the possibility to get a new one at contract price every year. You could potentially keep your old phone and sell the iphone every year for a pretty large profit.

So, those of us with the 25% discount (me), now that we lost one of the other large Sprint perks - has anyone done the math to see how close Tmob is now to Sprint's (discounted) pricing? I think AT&T and Verizon are still fairly expensive in comparison. There sure does seem a lot less keeping me on big yellow now though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

This is all because of the goddamn iphone!

Suck it up Sprint, Android loving, brethren. We must bear our cross for the greater good. We don't want the iphone but Sprint needs it to stay afloat.

I JUST hit my 10 years too. The iphone costs too much money to give anyone the possibility to get a new one at contract price every year. You could potentially keep your old phone and sell the iphone every year for a pretty large profit.

So, those of us with the 25% discount (me), now that we lost one of the other large Sprint perks - has anyone done the math to see how close Tmob is now to Sprint's (discounted) pricing? I think AT&T and Verizon are still fairly expensive in comparison. There sure does seem a lot less keeping me on big yellow now though.

Sprint was running great promos about 6 months ago to get new customers. I really feel that is what tmobile is currently doing, their rates are pretty competitive right now.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Jensen posted:

I'm paying $50/mo for my SERO account, plus all the taxes and surcharges and crap. Assuming those stay equal, a t-mobile plan with 500 minutes(I used 5 anytime minutes last month) and 200mb(I average under 75mb and have never broken 150mb) would be $10/mo more.

I'm under contract for another 13 months though. :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
^^ I'm paying less for my T-Mobile plan, solely because of my corporate discount.

$50 got me SERO + $8 for TEP
$50 gets me Value 500 - 15% discount. I skipped the TEP/Insurance.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

^^ I'm paying less for my T-Mobile plan, solely because of my corporate discount.

$50 got me SERO + $8 for TEP
$50 gets me Value 500 - 15% discount. I skipped the TEP/Insurance.
Not that you intended to be misleading, but your $7.50 monthly savings also sacrifices phone subsidies and still locks you into a 2 year contract. The amount that Sprint and other carriers subsidize is a bit more than $7.50; it's probably 2-3 times that.

T-Mobile's Value plans are a great deal (if you don't mind buying used phones or using their 0% phone financing). I'm still trying to convince the 3 other people on my discounted Sprint family plan to switch to a Value family share plan that'll save us ~$14 per line. More for my those who can get away with 200mb data.

We're looking at the $30 Nexus S 4G. I know there's been a few software updates (adding Swype) and maybe a baseband update. Have they solved the signal strength issue it originally had? No chance that it suffers the same GPS and filesystem lag issues from the Galaxy S?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Not at all. However, in my situation I had bought an EVO off-contract a while back. I'm selling that EVO and got a Defy, making the new T-Mo phone a wash. I also didn't account for selling off my SERO plan, which net me $100.

Most of the time the phones I really want aren't discounted enough. What if I didn't want to pay $199 + $20 more per month for a Sensation?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Something just started on my phone a couple days ago (my very very new EVO 3D): I'll get a notification and check to see what it is, e-mail, message? It's a Plus sign on the notification bar and when I pull it down to look at it, it's "You may have just won an iPAD2!" So far I am getting crap like this a few times a day.

Is this normal? Can it be prevented, and if so, what's the easiest way to put a stop to it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Faustus posted:

Something just started on my phone a couple days ago (my very very new EVO 3D): I'll get a notification and check to see what it is, e-mail, message? It's a Plus sign on the notification bar and when I pull it down to look at it, it's "You may have just won an iPAD2!" So far I am getting crap like this a few times a day.

Is this normal? Can it be prevented, and if so, what's the easiest way to put a stop to it?

I have had mine for months and this has never happened. Then again I am paranoid about app sources to a fault. Perhaps you should start deleting apps or failing that doing a factory reset.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Those EOL dates make sense with regard to stopping sale of devices in store (once remaining stock clears or whatever). But does EOL necessarily mean end of software support?

That is almost exactly what it means. It's like windows EOL protocol. They will issue security patches and offer tech support, but updates like Eclair -> Froyo and its awesome performance increase with the JIT compiler? Sorry Charlie, go ask XDA.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 16, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Probably some lovely app using lovely AirPush.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Leathal posted:

Yeah at this point there's not even a significant benefit to Sprint besides cost, and that's almost entirely offset by their terrible coverage as far as I'm concerned. And I'm one of those lucky ones with a 25% discount. Unlimited data is a nice perk, but I personally only go over 1gb of monthly data two or three times a year. Plus Sprint is even losing service differentiation with the regional carriers if you don't travel a lot since their data coverage is just as shity outside metro areas as the regionals.

If Sprint next decides to jack up rate plans without Network Vision bringing their 3G/4G coverage into parity with ATT/VZW, I don't see why I *wouldn't* leave them - even though it's been nearly 12 years since I got my first lovely Sprint Sanyo flip phone fresh out of high school.

nate fisher posted:

Main reason I stick with Sprint is my 27% discount I have gotten for almost 10 years. It has been 7 years since I worked for Citibank but it keeps on giving.

Yeah, I've got a UPS Discount of 25% that's still going 6 years after I quit...and that brings my cost down enough that I wouldn't even consider anyone else (I currently pay about $185/month for 3 phones (with TEP). I went to verizon's website last night just to see how much it would cost me and the bill came out to be something like $260/month. I could easily move all three of my lines (me, my brother, and a friend) to my parents Verizon account, but it still wouldn't save us any money.

I'll admit that Verizon's LTE speeds has me drooling a little...but I'm not willing to pay an extra $50+ per month for it (I pay for my line and my brother's line).

The Unlimited data is nice and all but even as heavy of a user as I feel like I am, I rarely go over 2GB. Aside from saving me money, the yearly upgrade is what I'll miss the most - I really loved being able to get a new phone and show it off EVERY year, while all my friends had to wait 2 years to get a new phone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dr. Faustus posted:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Cost-wise I'm paying more than I was on T-Mobile by about $22 a month. I brought my own phone to the T-Mobile party with a Nexus One straight from Google, which cost me about $330 more than my Evo 3D, but the savings per month added up to more than I paid extra up front.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

Cost-wise I'm paying more than I was on T-Mobile by about $22 a month. I brought my own phone to the T-Mobile party with a Nexus One straight from Google, which cost me about $330 more than my Evo 3D, but the savings per month added up to more than I paid extra up front.

The upside is that you're not being crippled by throttling, nor are you at risk of suddenly becoming an AT&T customer.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

There is a Sprint/iPhone thread in YOSPOS, the latest rumor linked there is that the iPhone 4 is what Sprint will get next month, and then the iPhone 5 will be a tri-carrier simultaneous release next spring.

I'd be fine with that, I'm under contract until next summer so I wouldn't mind waiting if we only had the 4 as our option.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

The upside is that you're not being crippled by throttling, nor are you at risk of suddenly becoming an AT&T customer.

I never once experienced throttling, and you get much much better 3G speeds on T-Mobile. Even if the AT&T merger goes through, it won't affect current customers for at least a year. Plus, no contract with cheaper pricing means I can leave whenever I wanted (which I had to, since T-Mobile doesn't cover the town I moved to.)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

big mean giraffe posted:

I never once experienced throttling, and you get much much better 3G speeds on T-Mobile. Even if the AT&T merger goes through, it won't affect current customers for at least a year. Plus, no contract with cheaper pricing means I can leave whenever I wanted (which I had to, since T-Mobile doesn't cover the town I moved to.)
Watch a couple of movies on Netflix and see what happens.

I'm a recent Sprint convert from T-Mobile (abandoning my employee plan) and while the 3G speeds do appear lower, the coverage seems much more consistent.

The official results from an AT&T merger would indeed take a year or so, but the recent changes to T-Mobile policies and procedures are straight from AT&T's handbook. Also, I've been utterly AMAZED by the quality of Sprint's customer care reps so far (the couple of times I've actually called with a question).

T-Mobile has absolutely gone down the shitter in the past few months.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

iostream.h posted:

Watch a couple of movies on Netflix and see what happens.

I'm a recent Sprint convert from T-Mobile (abandoning my employee plan) and while the 3G speeds do appear lower, the coverage seems much more consistent.

Why would I want to watch several movies on my phone? That's what my big TV is for.

My experience with Sprint's coverage has been even worse than T-Mobile's so far, and the 3G speeds are utterly poo poo even with really good reception.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

The engadget review of the sgs2 is out and they basically say it's slightly thicker than the euro version but it's excellent, gave it a 9/10 rating.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 16, 2011

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
For anyone wondering, the Sprint store (shop.sprint.com) now has the SGSIIE4GT listed. I just upgraded my CDMA Heror with EPRP 500 and the total was $217 plus $36 upgrade fee. My monthly bill will go from $59.99 to $69.99 due to the premium data addon. I am a bit concerned because it listed the $10 fee twice, but I guess I'll see how that works out.

It says 2-5 days to delivery. $36 upgrade fee? Why don't they just give me the phone "for free" then charge a $250 upgrade fee? I'd feel like I was getting a better deal. Free phone!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 16, 2011

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.
SGSIIE4GT isn't available on the EPRP site yet. Boo.

edit: Now it is. Hooray!

Xtopher fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 16, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

Why would I want to watch several movies on my phone? That's what my big TV is for.

My experience with Sprint's coverage has been even worse than T-Mobile's so far, and the 3G speeds are utterly poo poo even with really good reception.

Okay, then how about Stitcher, or Rdio, or any other data-intensive application, including YouTube or Netflix, unless you take your television to the airport (many do not offer free WiFi, or public WiFi at all)

Hell, with as much posting from my phone as I do, I should add the Awful app to that list.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I used to stream Google music and stuff like that all the time and had over an hour of public transportation a day I'd use my phone for browsing Facebook and SA and still never broke 2gb of monthly use. That much data is far from usual unless you're tethering or something.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I went on the market a couple days ago and installed a few little (free) apps that looked like fun. I didn't really need any of them, I just am still new to the whole smartphone thing and wanted some new toys to play with.
I'll remove them and be more careful in the future.

Thanks!

Detector found two apps, both stupid free soundboards that I really didn't need and would have gotten rid of soon anyway. Now I know to be more careful.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 16, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

I used to stream Google music and stuff like that all the time and had over an hour of public transportation a day I'd use my phone for browsing Facebook and SA and still never broke 2gb of monthly use. That much data is far from usual unless you're tethering or something.

It's probably a liberty only taken under the assumption of unlimited data, but I stream stitcher, shoutcast, or rdio all day at work, 5 days a week. My data usage is through the roof and I really don't want to go back to forgetting to sync and dealing with play all -> random all day. Different strokes.

\/ watching shows (for me its currently sons of anarchy) while on the treadmill does own.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 16, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I watch Netflix almost every day at the gym and I have to say it kind of owns

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just added the Epic 4G to my cart, and since I'm still under contract I only get a $75 discount with another 2 year contract. Ok, fine, I can live with that. Wait, what's this, a $36 upgrade free? What the gently caress defines an upgrade? What if I was buying a shittier phone than my Evo 4g? I just tried adding the 'Sanyo Vero' to my cart and sure enough they want $36 for no reason. What a bullshit fee, has anyone ever had this waived?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just added the Epic 4G to my cart, and since I'm still under contract I only get a $75 discount with another 2 year contract. Ok, fine, I can live with that. Wait, what's this, a $36 upgrade free? What the gently caress defines an upgrade? What if I was buying a shittier phone than my Evo 4g? I just tried adding the 'Sanyo Vero' to my cart and sure enough they want $36 for no reason. What a bullshit fee, has anyone ever had this waived?
Yes, I answered this on the last page or the page before. Call telesales *7 from a Sprint phone if you're upgrading. I had no issue getting Fake Anglicized Name in the Phillipines to waive the upgrade fee when it was $18. He didn't even need to put me on hold and ask for manager approval. This was about a month ago, so before they increased the fee to $36 but still after the no upgrade fee incentive was removed from Sprint.com web sales.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I know I said I was going to wait but I'm seriously thinking about getting up early tomorrow to go visit my wife at work... and maybe pick up the Epic Touch while I'm there. And this is coming about 15 months after I swore I'd never buy another Samsung phone ever again. loving Samsung and their phones that look and sound great in the beginning. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nuts and Gum posted:

You are getting a shittier phone than your Evo have you not read the thread or even typed "epic 4G" into google