Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I saw Wicked on broadway on sunday, and it being my first Broadway show, I have a question. The usher gave us the playbill and told us not to look at it until the show ended, so I kind of assumed there'd be a plot summary somewhere in it. However, when I actually read the thing I noticed that there's only like 3 pages devoted to the actual play, none of them being a plot summary, and the rest is just ads and reviews for other shows. Is this normal for a playbill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

gwar3k1 posted:

In the UK at least, 99% of our houses are built from brick. When we see houses destroyed in the news or just there in the media from the US, they all appear to be made of nothing more than wood.

I'd imagine those built in hurricane/tornado prone locations will be built cheap for cheap rebuilds, but the primary reason has got to be availability of clay, surely, or a preference against how brick looks?

My understanding is that wood houses are prefereable especially in earthquake-prone areas, ie the west half of the US, and it's less expensive.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

change my name posted:

So I saw Wicked on broadway on sunday, and it being my first Broadway show, I have a question. The usher gave us the playbill and told us not to look at it until the show ended, so I kind of assumed there'd be a plot summary somewhere in it. However, when I actually read the thing I noticed that there's only like 3 pages devoted to the actual play, none of them being a plot summary, and the rest is just ads and reviews for other shows. Is this normal for a playbill?

I am not a theater-scientist, but I'd guess that he was just letting you know that it's considered impolite to pay attention to the playbill instead of the play.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I need to ask someone who knows some technical aspects of audio recording.

What is the term called when your gain is too high and it's maxxing the recording threshold so that it starts to sound, like, really crappy?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Probably "clipping", but you might just mean distortion.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Probably "clipping", but you might just mean distortion.

I do mean distortion in fact. Thank you.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Why are some many houses in the USA built out of thin wood?

Because laying brick is very labor-intensive and thus expensive. It's far cheaper to build a house out of a wooden framework covered with a layer of exterior-grade plywood and then vinyl siding on the outside, and gypsum wallboard on the inside.

Laying brick is also a specialized and scarce skill, whereas any mook with a bit of Tool Time knowledge can swing a hammer to put up plywood under the direction of a more knowledgeable crew boss. But the mook can't lay brick without having undergone an extensive training period.

Even brick houses anymore are not solid brick--the bricks are a single-layer facade, when they're not self-adhesive plastic imitation brick panels. In a modern brick house, what's holding it up is a wooden framework under the brick facade, same as the vinyl-sided house next door. Nobody lays brick to construct a solid brick house anymore. You can tell whether a house is made of solid brick by how deep the window embrasures are; a solid brick house wall is about a foot or so thick and the window frames have to fit into it, so the windowsills on the inside of the house will be a foot deep. If the windowsills are only as deep as the window frames, then you've got a wood-framed house with brick facade.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's a good product to get the smell of cat urine out of a room? Wood floors, not carpet.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

What is the name of the tune in this video? :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgqF8BFZoU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's a good product to get the smell of cat urine out of a room? Wood floors, not carpet.

Natures Miracle Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Their carpet solution is great, so I assume their hardwood cleaner is just as good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cheerfullydrab posted:

Nature's Miracle is good stuff, but if it soaked into the wood you may be better off re-sealing them or replacing the affected section.

edit: 2508084 :argh:

Mak0rz posted:

Are gas ovens/stovetops as common in the US as the media implies? I'm Canadian and I must say I have literally never seen a gas oven. All the ones we have here are electric.

It really depends on the part of the country you're in. I'm in north Texas (Dallas area) and gas cooktops are somewhat common. Gas ovens less so, when the oven is separate from the cooktop.

The house I'm in has a gas cooktop, electric oven, though there's both 120 and 240 circuits under the cooktop (the 240 is covered with a blank plate, but there's a breaker for it in the garage). We also have a gas furnace and gas water heater; apartments tend to be 100% electric in Dallas/Ft. Worth, while the apartments I've been inside of in Austin usually had gas stoves. :iiam:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

change my name posted:

I've seen a fair amount of broadway and off-broadway plays and I usually look at the playbill before the show starts and as far I can tell when I look around, so do a lot of people. I've never heard an usher say that before.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I also always read theater playbills while waiting around for the play to start.

Fists Up posted:

Suspension files?

Not the files but a tray that lays over top.
I'm having a bit of GIS luck with 'tray' since you made me think of that word.

e: Bingo! "Hanging Drawer Director" at Staples... what the hell kind of name is that?

Pweller fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 16, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Trying to find out what commercial this song is from. The song is Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major. The commercial featured a bunch of smiling objects, and at the end showed a happy little Piper Cub. I believe it was a credit card commercial.
Help?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

silversiren posted:

Trying to find out what commercial this song is from. The song is Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major. The commercial featured a bunch of smiling objects, and at the end showed a happy little Piper Cub. I believe it was a credit card commercial.
Help?

You're right. It's from American Express (which is what I thought when I read the piece that played in the commercial), and it was called "Don't Take Chances, Take Charge." Here's the commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhHRYJsjgI

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM

Found it goolgling my username, jesus NM.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 16, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

WillieWestwood posted:

You're right. It's from American Express (which is what I thought when I read the piece that played in the commercial), and it was called "Don't Take Chances, Take Charge." Here's the commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhHRYJsjgI

Thanks for the quick reply! I needed a good pick-me-up, the little plane always makes me smile. :3:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

change my name posted:

So I saw Wicked on broadway on sunday, and it being my first Broadway show, I have a question. The usher gave us the playbill and told us not to look at it until the show ended, so I kind of assumed there'd be a plot summary somewhere in it.

I haven't seen "Wicked", but I have designed playbills before that I wish people wouldn't look at before the show, just because sometimes even knowing the names of characters that are going to appear can give away a crucial reveal or fun surprise in the play.

quote:

However, when I actually read the thing I noticed that there's only like 3 pages devoted to the actual play, none of them being a plot summary, and the rest is just ads and reviews for other shows. Is this normal for a playbill?
Yes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So, are there usually dress codes for professors? Today one of my teachers came in wearing a naruto shirt, cargo pants and vibrams. I go to a really good college so color me confused

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is he tenured?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is he tenured?

I have no idea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's his field?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Very Strange Things posted:

I haven't seen "Wicked", but I have designed playbills before that I wish people wouldn't look at before the show, just because sometimes even knowing the names of characters that are going to appear can give away a crucial reveal or fun surprise in the play.

Huh, I never thought of that. I suppose it's like why they usually put the credits and full cast list at the end of the movie.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

haveblue posted:

What's his field?

Environmental politics, but still, come on

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

change my name posted:

Environmental politics, but still, come on

If enough students/staff complain, the dept head might give him a talking to. Otherwise, profs can wear whatever they want.

Can anyone outside the US/Canada see these videos?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nixzYHDus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4bi8N8cPUI
I think that first one is Rick Astley, but I'm not trying to troll. If you can see them, what country are you in, and what's the view count for the video?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
UK

No
Yes - 17m
No

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

change my name posted:

So, are there usually dress codes for professors? Today one of my teachers came in wearing a naruto shirt, cargo pants and vibrams. I go to a really good college so color me confused

There is no dress code at most universities. How well a professor dresses directly correlates to how hard they're trying to impress someone. If they're untenured, they're usually going to try as hard as they can to impress the head of their department, so they can get that sweet, sweet tenure. Beyond that, it's pretty much personal preference.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My friend sent me some money he owed me via Paypal. The money is sitting in my Paypal account right now and I need access to is as soon as possible. Bank deposit takes a few days, so I'm thinking the best option is to use my Paypal debit card and make a withdrawal at an ATM.

1) What would be the most I could withdrawal at an ATM with my Paypal Mastercard?
2) I've been thinking that it would be better to get cash back somewhere. Where can I get a large amount of cash back from a debit card?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a name for the deep, dramatic voice you hear all the time in Japanese voice-overs? You know the one I'm talking about; it's always very gravelly and overstrained, usually accompanied by various dramatic percussion stings in the background.

I figure it's just the Japanese equivalent of the American movie trailer guy, but it appears in Japanese gameshows, videogames, and anywhere else there is a dramatic exposition to be read to the audience.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
nm

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Busy Bee posted:

My friend sent me some money he owed me via Paypal. The money is sitting in my Paypal account right now and I need access to is as soon as possible. Bank deposit takes a few days, so I'm thinking the best option is to use my Paypal debit card and make a withdrawal at an ATM.

1) What would be the most I could withdrawal at an ATM with my Paypal Mastercard?
2) I've been thinking that it would be better to get cash back somewhere. Where can I get a large amount of cash back from a debit card?

The daily withdrawal limit on my US small-business PayPal Mastercard is $400, and I believe it's the same for all US PayPal Mastercards. There is no fee other than the fee charged by the ATM owner.

Many locations that offer cash back won't offer more than the price of the purchase; many who will offer more than the purchase price won't offer more than $100. You may be able to get the full amount back by going to multiple places that allow $100 cash-back options. (The advantage to this is that it counts as part of the purchase, not an ATM transaction, so a) it doesn't count against the ATM withdrawal limit and b) it DOES count toward your spending with the card for the purposes of getting a % back at the beginning of next month.)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zegnar posted:

Anyone have any idea what all this means?

So are you going to tell us what it was and why you wanted to know, or what?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there a name for the deep, dramatic voice you hear all the time in Japanese voice-overs? You know the one I'm talking about; it's always very gravelly and overstrained, usually accompanied by various dramatic percussion stings in the background.

I figure it's just the Japanese equivalent of the American movie trailer guy, but it appears in Japanese gameshows, videogames, and anywhere else there is a dramatic exposition to be read to the audience.

Wakamoto Norio?

Watanabe Ken?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Are there any banks in SoCal that don't charge for checking? I am finding a lot of online banks and I am already part of two, ING and Schwab. I would like a walk in bank for the times I need to deposit cash.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Cursory search: https://www.cusocal.org/checking

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

b0nes posted:

Are there any banks in SoCal that don't charge for checking? I am finding a lot of online banks and I am already part of two, ING and Schwab. I would like a walk in bank for the times I need to deposit cash.

Check your local banks. Community banks are almost always better than big national ones, as long as you haven't had a poor banking history (chargeoffs), around here at least.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

I had a teacher in college who routinely wore a Slayer t-shirt. He got tenure before I was even born though and had no fucks to give. Also was a very good teacher.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

kimbo305 posted:

If you can see them, what country are you in, and what's the view count for the video?

I'm in Australia and had the same results as ibroxmassive.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

marshmallard posted:

So are you going to tell us what it was and why you wanted to know, or what?

Apologies, I've been super busy just got back to the forum! It turns out to be a European travel guide from the early 17th century, worth about £300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Bit of an odd one this, and I think only UK goons can help.

In Secondary School up until year ten, we used a series of books in maths which were colour coded by year. Year seven was yellow, year eight was light blue and year nine was red (I think).

The main thing I remember, in year seven at least, was that each chapter had a page at the beginning which presented an interesting problem based in that chapter's topic.

Specifically, there was a puzzle that went along the lines of "A rich Arab died and left his seven (or something. Can't remember...) Camels to his three sons, which they couldn't equally distribute. One of the sons borrowed a neighbour's camel and split them up with one left over which they gave back to their neighbour.

Does anyone remember the books or the exact puzzle and how the hell it works?

Hopefully someone can! This is driving me crazy!