Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The speeder bike levels in Jedi Academy were loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only speeder bike-esque gameplay that I can remember having any fun with was Shadows of the Empire's swoop level.

I hated those so loving much. It was so incredibly easy to drive straight into the wall of an angled polygon, and then you had to go into reverse and try and make up your time. The design of the course was great, but the level's gameplay itself sucked hard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The space missions of Rebel Strike kicked rear end like always. And the ground vehicle missions were pretty good. It was the foot missions which were godawful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Reading the anniversary Heir to the Empire right now:

Timothy Zahn posted:

Because I was going to have to write Star Wars. Not something science-fictiony or space-operatic with the name Star Wars on it. I was going to have to write Star Wars. I would have to somehow capture the scope and feel of the universe; the faces and voices of the main characters; the ebb and flow and rhythm of the movies. The readers had to hear Mark Hamill's and Carrie Fisher's and Harrison Ford's voices inside my quotation marks. The people flipping through those pages needed to be able to hear John Williams's music in the backs of their minds.

If I couldn't do that, or at least get close, it wouldn't be Star Wars. It would be An Adventure of Two Guys Named Han and Luke. And that would be a waste of everyone's time.

Wrap it the gently caress up, Lucasfailures Licensing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only speeder bike-esque gameplay that I can remember having any fun with was Shadows of the Empire's swoop level.
It hasn't aged well at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rocket Ace posted:

Except for that evil witch in the Battle for Endor. She was kind of cool (and she was also in Dune, so hey).

She played Alec Guinness's wife in the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy miniseries. I think the sequel, as well. Also, those both featured Patrick Stewart as Alec Guinness' counterpart and arch rival :v:

(She was also in I, Claudius with Patrick Stewart, come to think of it)

Anyway thought I'd mention there's a Star Wars sale on Steam this weekend. Although I think by this point I have all the non-TFU/Clone Wars Star Wars games they have up there. Really wish they'd get around to releasing some more. Particularly KOTOR II.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Not many early 3D games have. They didn't have the horsepower to make compelling gameplay that still holds up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Rogue Leader is still among of my personal favorite games of all time. It was my GameCube launch game, I even got the gold medal in the Endurance mission. (Which seemed like a bigger deal then than now.) Rebel Strike may be one of biggest disappointments in videogame sequels I personally experienced. The space and vehicle missions were adequate at best. And it doesn't make up for 1/3 of the game being terrible on-foot missions.

Not sure if I'd like to see a proper Rogue Squadron 3 at this point. I feel like I'm done giving Lucasfilm licensing more money, and I'm not too sure if I want to see more X-Wings and Tie Fighters mingling among unmemorable prequel starfighters.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'd like a X-Wing/TIE Fighter game where I can use TrackIR or play on a server much akin to Aces High II. It'd be nice to join in on a mission to protect a cruiser and you hyperspace in and there's poo poo goin' on.

But alas, Lucasarts wants to pump out a Kinect game where you shake your dick.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

Never does...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Never does...

Didn't the Clone Wars establish that she's Jabba's girlfriend, or something else equally stupid?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Hazo posted:

The speeder bike levels in Jedi Academy were loving awesome.

Definitely the best speeder bike game. Jedi Academy was a drat fun game, actually.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Chairman Capone posted:

...the Clone Wars ...a...r...e stupid

I agree. The Hon Shot First videos made checking up on this thread a wholly worthwhile investment of time.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
I always wanted Rogue Leader but for some reason never ended up with a copy. Found it on amazon for about $6 Prime shipping. I can't wait.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't the Clone Wars establish that she's Jabba's girlfriend, or something else equally stupid?

Ziro the Hutt...the Hutt that talks like Truman Capote. It was actually a pretty fun episode.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Mister Roboto posted:

Never does...

You know somewhere thats in some seedy shop off some interstate highway in a plastic box labeled ribbed.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Ringo Star Get posted:

You know somewhere thats in some seedy shop off some interstate highway in a plastic box labeled ribbed.

Thanks for the nightmares :gonk:

Can't remember if this has been posted here. Huge loving Venator-class Star Destroyer built in Lego.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFV01G97LsQ
I want one.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ziro the Hutt...the Hutt that talks like Truman Capote.

With whom she has a hilariously icky make-out scene before later murdering him in cold blood on Jabba's orders.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It was actually a pretty fun episode.

Absolutely. I could watch a whole season based on Hutt clan shenanigans.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Rocket Ace posted:

When will Lucas make Special Editions of Caravan of Courage and the Battle for Endor?

Now THOSE would be movies that could benefit from altering... the live action actors. WOOWEE were they terrible.

Except for that evil witch in the Battle for Endor. She was kind of cool (and she was also in Dune, so hey).

You are suggesting that Wilford Brimley's performance as Noa Briqualon was less than stellar?
gently caress you, gently caress you!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mister Roboto posted:

Never does...
Every time I see this, I think of the behind the scenes thing where Lucas is telling the puppet folks not to worry about the articulation on Sy Snootle's mouth because it only needed to open and close to get the effect of singing.

Also, every musical change to Return of the Jedi was terrible.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Every time I see this, I think of the behind the scenes thing where Lucas is telling the puppet folks not to worry about the articulation on Sy Snootle's mouth because it only needed to open and close to get the effect of singing.

Also, every musical change to Return of the Jedi was terrible.

I'll counter this by saying that the new music at the end of the movie was the best change that's been made to the entire trilogy, despite my nostalgic love for Yub Nub.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

I'll counter this by saying that the new music at the end of the movie was the best change that's been made to the entire trilogy, despite my nostalgic love for Yub Nub.

I disagree. Yub Nub leads into the end credit theme a lot better than the new music, and this matters to me the most. The new music may be more Star Warsy, but it's an Ewok party goddammit.

TheFritoB
Jul 9, 2001

Mene mehnemene menemee

Zat posted:

I disagree. Yub Nub leads into the end credit theme a lot better than the new music, and this matters to me the most. The new music may be more Star Warsy, but it's an Ewok party goddammit.

This right here. As a kid I used to dance and Jam to Yub Nub but the new ending just makes go awww dammit >:(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

No, I agree with this. Yub Nub is silly song and not really one I want to hear at the very end of the trilogy.

e, "Wesa free" and all the other changes are still stupid, though.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 16, 2011

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The change to the end song of RotJ is one of my favorites from the SE. I like the galaxy-spanning cutscene at the end with everyone celebrating. I do miss Lapti Nek, though, even if it felt really 80s :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The change to the end song of RotJ is one of my favorites from the SE. I like the galaxy-spanning cutscene at the end with everyone celebrating. I do miss Lapti Nek, though, even if it felt really 80s :(

It really doesn't make any sense though. Coruscant wasn't even mentioned at all in the OT so it makes no sense to include it other than for fan-wanking. Unless you read some behind the scenes poo poo, you wouldn't even know what planet it is. The whole thing completely interrupts the flow of the movie

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not to mention that Coruscant wasn't freed until 2(?) years later. It's not like the Imperials on the planet went welp, time to hang it up, when the Emperor died.

The EU retconed it by saying that it was a minor celebration that was brutally put down by the Imperial garrison.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not to mention that Coruscant wasn't freed until 2(?) years later. It's not like the Imperials on the planet went welp, time to hang it up, when the Emperor died.

The EU retconed it by saying that it was a minor celebration that was brutally put down by the Imperial garrison.

Well, Lucas can still put all that into the 3D release of the SE.

But really, changes like adding Coruscant to the end of RotJ only serve the purpose to make the OT a little more like the PT, bit by bit. Tiny pieces of CGI, eating away at great movies with every new release.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Well, the first reviews are up... apparently the animated Boba Fett sequence from the Holiday Special is available as an easter egg, which is very cool.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

The Complete Saga is so visually drool-inducing that it should come with a bib.

But it does!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

man the new TPM Yoda looks good

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

angrylinuxgeek posted:

man the new TPM Yoda looks good

Maybe I'm risking my cred here but wow that actually is pretty impressive. The puppet in Ep 1 wasn't looking so hot.

Course in motion maybe it all comes apart, I dunno.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Ya know, with all the fan edits out there, I wonder if someone could do one that TOTALLY goes off the beaten path. Nothing like Greedo shooting last, but an actual change to the entire mythos. Have Liam Neeson survive. Have Anakin not turn. Have Obi-Wan die or become Vader. Anything other than the usual added FX and little dialogues.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

After watching an abbreviated version of RotS, I just have to say that holy poo poo 1080p is no friend to bad bluescreening.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but pretty good article by the BBC on why people think Lucas is being a bit of a prick in regards to the original works not being released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14944240

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

^^^That was interesting.

Mister Roboto posted:

Ya know, with all the fan edits out there, I wonder if someone could do one that TOTALLY goes off the beaten path. Nothing like Greedo shooting last, but an actual change to the entire mythos. Have Liam Neeson survive. Have Anakin not turn. Have Obi-Wan die or become Vader. Anything other than the usual added FX and little dialogues.

This would be cool, like a remix of the saga. I wonder what you could plausibly change without having to shoot new footage, though.

e. No one shoots at all.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Boondock Saint posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but pretty good article by the BBC on why people think Lucas is being a bit of a prick in regards to the original works not being released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14944240

I quite like Simon Peggs opinion on the thing.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Maybe I'm risking my cred here but wow that actually is pretty impressive. The puppet in Ep 1 wasn't looking so hot.

Course in motion maybe it all comes apart, I dunno.

Eyes look cartoony and still does not match the Yoda from Empire, which looks fine even today. They either need to step up their game or be willing to say "It's not there yet, maybe next time, but for now we'll hold off changing it."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This would be cool, like a remix of the saga. I wonder what you could plausibly change without having to shoot new footage, though.

e. No one shoots at all.

Yes, I already thought of that. It'd be a BIT cheesy, but I bet you could find footage of the actors from other films. Or, like some of the editors do already, they dig up ridiculously obscure material to add in. I.e. Video game dialogue, old radio dialogue, tv specials, cameos, behind the scenes, the holiday special, etc. Video Game cutscenes have reached movie level these days. You could swap in some Vader footage from Force Unleashed seamlessly.

I hear the Magnoliafan guy was trying to add Liam Neeson as a force ghost into ROTS. There's lots of footage of Neeson in his Jedi outfit out there, and it wouldn't be TOO too hard to edit in his dialogue from other films.

Just an idea I had tossing around. Might be fun.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I love the idea of remixing movies, it would be a bit like musicians remixing each other's tracks. Whereas what Jorge is doing now would be more like a band re-releasing an old hit but with re-written lyrics and a completely new chorus or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I love the idea of remixing movies, it would be a bit like musicians remixing each other's tracks. Whereas what Jorge is doing now would be more like a band re-releasing an old hit but with re-written lyrics and a completely new chorus or something.

More like a rock band replacing all their awesome guitar riffs with ten minute long farting 80s synth noises.