Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
now that this is over being a 2L is kind of cool

:sicknasty:

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Passed the MO bar.

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE ^^

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

TheAttackSlug posted:

Passed the MO bar.

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE ^^

TheAttackSlug es #1 HUEHUEHUE

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Congrats to the bar passers thus far. Texas makes us wait until Nov. 3. :/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

Congrats to the bar passers thus far. Texas makes us wait until Nov. 3. :/

California publishes results like the weekend before thanksgiving. God that took forever.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Congratulations, everybody!

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

nm posted:

California publishes results like the weekend before thanksgiving. God that took forever.

I got my results the night of my firm's 25th anniversary dinner. I sat, in my suit, waiting for 5:00 p.m. so I could get my results, and then had to head over to the Beverly Wilshire, where every single one of the 50+ attorneys attending knew I had just passed or failed.

I passed. One of the other new associates failed. She came an hour late, after everyone had already whispered it around the room, and had to sit at the secretary table because all the others were full. She was gone three weeks later.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Copernic posted:

I passed. One of the other new associates failed. She came an hour late, after everyone had already whispered it around the room, and had to sit at the secretary table because all the others were full. She was gone three weeks later.
That's brutal. Most non-lovely firms will allow 1 fail for the CA bar before firing. Every firm has a sr partner who failed the bar first time out (not that he makes it well known), but with such a low pass rate, even good people fail.
Maybe she was on the edge already.

I had a friend who failed by 2 points. He loving hated himself. He'd just got an offer withdrawn in July so he was a bit distracted.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Back from a bar trip of backpacking Southeast Asia. I went to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for about a month and a half, and then one last night in Tokyo at the end. Coming back to the States has brought me back to the sad reality that I'm going to have to be a lawyer soon.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
What is a "bar trip"? Is that where you wait out your bar results through a buffet of binge drinking and sex tourism?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Warszawa posted:

What is a "bar trip"? Is that where you wait out your bar results through a buffet of binge drinking and sex tourism?

It's your last celebration of life before you kill yourself for not having a job/slowly kill yourself through overwork.

How'd your trip go, Qwerty? I did Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand before law school and it was a blast.

I went to Burning Man for a bar trip.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

CaptainScraps posted:

It's your last celebration of life before you kill yourself for not having a job/slowly kill yourself through overwork.

How'd your trip go, Qwerty? I did Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand before law school and it was a blast.

I went to Burning Man for a bar trip.

An absolute blast! Lots of amazing things to do, from getting certified as a scuba diver to riding an elephant!

Also went to a town in Laos called Vang Vieng. They let people rent rubber tubes and then you float down the river, while there are bars all down the river that fish you out and you party. You're surrounded by beautiful mountains. It's like having spring break in Middle Earth.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

qwertyman posted:

An absolute blast! Lots of amazing things to do, from getting certified as a scuba diver to riding an elephant!

Also went to a town in Laos called Vang Vieng. They let people rent rubber tubes and then you float down the river, while there are bars all down the river that fish you out and you party. You're surrounded by beautiful mountains. It's like having spring break in Middle Earth.

Yup. Never made it to tubing but I did plenty of other things while I was there.

Like try to outdrink the Irish. And fail to outdrink the Irish. Fire an uzi sideways after yelling "CHECK YOURSELF FOOL." Go to a giant beachfront party on the back of a truck crammed with thai people, hanging off the truck with one hand and funneling thai hooch with the other. Taking advantage of being the only American in a land of horny English girls. Trying to take a hangover poop into a squat toilet.

All sorts of fun things. gently caress, I miss it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

That's brutal. Most non-lovely firms will allow 1 fail for the CA bar before firing. Every firm has a sr partner who failed the bar first time out (not that he makes it well known), but with such a low pass rate, even good people fail.
Maybe she was on the edge already.

I had a friend who failed by 2 points. He loving hated himself. He'd just got an offer withdrawn in July so he was a bit distracted.

My US senator failed four times. And shes kinda awesome. I know a guy who failed, like, thirty times. He's a constitutionalist, and confident that he will eventually pass.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Top 40% at CLS. 6 callbacks, one offer, one rejection, 4 unknown.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Condolences to people who passed the bar and no longer have any excuse for changing their minds and doing something else with their lives.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

dos4gw posted:

I know I'm a bit later to reply than a few other people but I wanted to make an alternative suggestion. I had a look at Cole Haan and all their 'briefcases' are soft leather and what I would think of more as a laptop bag than a briefcase.

I don't mean it in a snobby way and I hope I don't sound really conceited or old fashioned but since you've already been recommended one style I figured you might appreciate another suggestion too. I'm a bit weird and I've had my briefcase since I was about 6 so I don't know where a good place to buy one would be and having tried looking online I haven't seen many great ones but I've found a link to the sort of case that I would call a briefcase, that's solid rather than soft leather and that I personally think looks better:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00061NLCW?ie=UTF8&tag=briefcases0a-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00061NLCW

I don't think that particular case is actually leather and it's certainly not the nicest thing in the world but I hope it at least demonstrates the sort of case I mean.

Other people might prefer a more modern sort of case but if your boss has 'asked' you to get a briefcase then he/she obviously cares about appearances (whether justifiably or not) and you might as well get something traditional and 'respectable' that such a boss would approve of.

I have a Cole Haan bag, as does the other political officer at the embassy. They own.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Nope, I don't think that's right. Find Faggy McPooferson's website and see for yourself.

Edit: Can we get Swatjester to weigh in on this? He's the one in diplomacy.

Edit 2: Thanks for nothing, Google.

Did you mean: Faggy McPooperson

Posting from Somalia to say it's an attache case. I have no idea why, since none of the other attaches use one.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 15, 2011

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there a program that can batch convert PDFs to serialized TIFF images? My office is out of Acrobat licenses and I've been looking around all day. FOSS would be nice, since I'd rather not drop $30-50 on some crappy shareware download of unknown robustness.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Diplomaticus posted:

Posting from Somalia to say it's an attache case. I have no idea why, since none of the other attaches use one.

That doesn't answer our question at all!

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Any CLS goons know how seriously I should be taking this Legal Methods exam next week? Do people actually fail?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Stunt Rock posted:

Condolences to people who passed the bar and no longer have any excuse for changing their minds and doing something else with their lives.

I've passed three bars and still changed my mind. It can always be undone.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Any CLS goons know how seriously I should be taking this Legal Methods exam next week? Do people actually fail?

no noone fails, unless you're in Strauss

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

HooKars posted:

:hfive: put 'er there, sister.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Today at work (where they don't know I'm a lawyer I think) someone was complaining about how they had to consult with the legal department about the disclaimers on a something or other, and I was all commiserating like "ugh, you had to talk to lawyers" and we laughed and it was nice to remind myself of how far I've come from that terrible mistake I made.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
vvv aww poo poo, I thought I clicked that one vvv

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 16, 2011

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Wrong thread, ask it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

Direwolf posted:

:chord: PI 4 lyfe

Guess what--we don't want you either.

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

Today at work (where they don't know I'm a lawyer I think) someone was complaining about how they had to consult with the legal department about the disclaimers on a something or other, and I was all commiserating like "ugh, you had to talk to lawyers" and we laughed and it was nice to remind myself of how far I've come from that terrible mistake I made.

The owner of a company I'm working on a contract with and his son, myself, and some other people were in their conference room hammering out some details on the contract. The owner, not realizing I'm an attorney, starts thanking god none of them are there, saying how scummy they all are, and how he'd disown his son if he had wanted to go to law school.

My co-worker jokingly strokes my arm and consoles me when their VP leans into his boss and tells him I'm a lawyer.

Cue hilarious shock and spewing apologies.

I reassured him it was fine since I couldn't be a scumbag as I worked at a non-profit.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Sbull posted:

I reassured him it was fine since I couldn't be a scumbag as I worked at a non-profit.

Did you say this with a straight face?

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001

Lilosh posted:

Did you say this with a straight face?

Absolutely not. I can't stand the idea of someone making a lamer joke than what I'm capable of.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

no noone fails, unless you're in Strauss

If there's one thing I remember...cite the statute!! [no one really fails]

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sbull posted:

The owner of a company I'm working on a contract with and his son, myself, and some other people were in their conference room hammering out some details on the contract. The owner, not realizing I'm an attorney, starts thanking god none of them are there, saying how scummy they all are, and how he'd disown his son if he had wanted to go to law school.

My co-worker jokingly strokes my arm and consoles me when their VP leans into his boss and tells him I'm a lawyer.

Cue hilarious shock and spewing apologies.

The unoffical Judge Advocate organization at one of the bases I served at was called JAFL, from a comment by a previous Commanding General after an introduction:
"Just Another Fucking Lawyer."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Today at work we were trying to decide if we had to consult the legal department of the university about including a copyrighted song in a movie we're making, even though we had already paid an external organization to clear the copyright, but just because "something might go wrong", and someone said "well you know things tend to take longer once the lawyers get involved" and I said "well you know they are paid hourly so the incentive is to take longer" and they laughed and laughed and I said "no seriously the incentive is to take as long as possible, thats how lawyering works" and they laughed and laughed like I had told a really funny joke but it was not a joke except unless you consider that the joke, the joke it was on us. It was on us all along.

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 16, 2011

flog montresor
May 10, 2008

TheBestDeception posted:

If there's one thing I remember...cite the statute!! [no one really fails]

I know someone whom Strauss "failed," but as it turns out there aren't any real consequences. Strauss just gives you a stern talking to.

And yes, do cite the statute. Quote it, even.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I work with ex-lawyers from all walks of life: 20 years in practice now wants a pension, failed bar exam numerous times, 2 years in shitlaw, barred but never practiced, etc. They all hated being a lawyer yet every single one of them encourages me to take the bar exam just in case! I don't think I would enjoy my non-legal job quite so much if I had to pay CLE fees every year and have to worry about upholding the rules of "professional" conduct.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

blar posted:

I work with ex-lawyers from all walks of life: 20 years in practice now wants a pension, failed bar exam numerous times, 2 years in shitlaw, barred but never practiced, etc. They all hated being a lawyer yet every single one of them encourages me to take the bar exam just in case! I don't think I would enjoy my non-legal job quite so much if I had to pay CLE fees every year and have to worry about upholding the rules of "professional" conduct.

Now that I'm teaching full time, I went inactive on my bar license. It costs me a couple hundred dollars a year to keep my license instead of five, and I'm exempt from CLE requirements. So it costs me very little not to practice. Not all states have that though. I used to be licensed in MN too but it would have cost too much to stay inactive so I withdrew from there.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
My relative has literally paid for my CLEs/bar admission fees for a couple of years or I would have gone inactive ages ago.

Hey, I can still call myself a lawyer if I do finally go inactive, right? Or would I merely be a JD? Is attention whoring worth the many thousands of dollars to keep it up forever? Decisions, decisions.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
If you're inactive, you are still admitted to a bar, so I think it's OK to say I'm a licensed attorney because it's true. I just have an excuse not to give anyone legal advice when they ask for it. Although when I sign stuff these days where I want to indicate I'm a lawyer, I usually sign it "quepasa18, J.D." rather than "Atty. quepasa18". So I guess there is a distinction to be made to some extent to indicate I don't practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

So what are you up to now?