Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I was so excited to see a Harvest Moon thread, but then it's all about DS games and I was sad again. Was Animal Parade really the last HM game released for the Wii? I played that game for years but would prefer to play something new if I can get it on a big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Huh, just found out there's a new Rune Factory coming out for consoles real soon. Has anyone played the japanese version of Tides of Destiny? How does it compare to RF3? How are the Wii controls?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh, just found out there's a new Rune Factory coming out for consoles real soon. Has anyone played the japanese version of Tides of Destiny? How does it compare to RF3? How are the Wii controls?

I am incredibly interested in this information as well, as this is looking like a day one purchase for me. I'm thinking about playing more RF3 while I wait the incredibly long week and a half.

Related: Because of my TV situation (I don't have one) I will be playing Tides on my computer via Wii hooked up to capture box. Since it's hooked up ANYWAY, would people be interested in watching a stream of it?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

You mean friendship level? Not yet. I was wondering if that made a difference. I guess I could also take them out to level up if I wanted a bigger HP pool.

Haha yeah it makes a huge difference. Their love for you gives them strength! I think some animals don't even do anything until they're like level 3 or something... might be wrong though.

quote:

Speaking of which, is there ever a time where you can shear a wooly and NOT have them hate you for it? I'm wondering why shears even exist if they drop a furball every day and shearing them drops their friendship level.

Huh, really? I never even noticed this. I brushed and fed and sheared them every day, and their friendship rose as normal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

Huh, really? I never even noticed this. I brushed and fed and sheared them every day, and their friendship rose as normal.

It might be a seasonal thing. Winter and Fall could have shearing penalties.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Corridor posted:

Sure seemed like it. Compared to my other little slavelings settling right into their Stockholm syndrome, my wooly was stuck around 1 or 2 while the others rose pretty quickly. I got them all around the same time, which is the only reason I noticed. I could be crazy though. And this was in Spring so I don't know why it would whine about it.

edit: yeah, looks like it was just something weird with the FP progression, according to http://rf3.wikia.com/wiki/Monsters#Wooly. Time to do some race traitoring

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 16, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dana Crysalis posted:

I am incredibly interested in this information as well, as this is looking like a day one purchase for me. I'm thinking about playing more RF3 while I wait the incredibly long week and a half.

Related: Because of my TV situation (I don't have one) I will be playing Tides on my computer via Wii hooked up to capture box. Since it's hooked up ANYWAY, would people be interested in watching a stream of it?

You know what, I would. I don't have the money to get it on release, but I will soon after, and watching you might help convince me.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

edit: yeah, looks like it was just something weird with the FP progression, according to http://rf3.wikia.com/wiki/Monsters#Wooly. Time to do some race traitoring

quote:

If you try to cut its fur in Winter, it pleads you not to with its big, round eyes...

Editor's note: There are no consequences of cutting the Wooly's fur in Winter.

For some reason, that really made me laugh.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Ineffiable posted:

You know what, I would. I don't have the money to get it on release, but I will soon after, and watching you might help convince me.

Good enough! Glad to be of service. Maybe I'll make an IRC channel for it or something. Now I really wish I had learned about the release date next week instead of a few days ago. I want this drat game now :(

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I convinced fellow goon Smashpro1 to buy Rune Factory 3 after telling him how addictive and insane the villagers are. He said he's getting sucked into the game, but I oversold the "insanity" of the villagers. I think he's wrong! Thoughts?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Obviously he hasn't talked to them enough.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I convinced fellow goon Smashpro1 to buy Rune Factory 3 after telling him how addictive and insane the villagers are. He said he's getting sucked into the game, but I oversold the "insanity" of the villagers. I think he's wrong! Thoughts?

I would describe most of them as quirky rather than insane, but that's mostly semantics. The point is they're way weirder than the status quo for NPCs, even for JRPGs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're weird, but most of them are really poorly written monkey-cheese style zany poo poo that's unbearable to read. The only thing that kinda saves it is the PC being aware of it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Does he watch a lot of anime? If so, he's probably used to a much higher level of insanity than RF3 presents. Also have to agree with Dr. Video Games, I can't stand talking to some of the npcs (Sofia comes to mind) because it's just so stupid.

They're quite a bit more insane and interesting than most other Harvest Moon npcs, which are mostly just bare archetypes, though. It's refreshing to HM veterans, but probably doesn't make as big an impact on first-timers.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Che Delilas posted:

They're quite a bit more insane and interesting than most other Harvest Moon npcs, which are mostly just bare archetypes, though. It's refreshing to HM veterans, but probably doesn't make as big an impact on first-timers.

This is probably the big thing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Everyone is increasingly annoying at the beginning of the game and it only starts to get enjoyable as they slowly endear themselves to you as you complete requests and what not.

E: actually not quite everyone, Evelyn starts out rather pleasantly and then devolves into crazy. :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 17, 2011

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know, RF3 was my first HM game ever, and the quirks/insanity are my favorite parts.

Then again, that could just be MY insanity.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Just got an email from Amazon saying that Tides of Destiny's release date has been pushed back to the end of October. Noooooo :(

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

glod posted:

Just got an email from Amazon saying that Tides of Destiny's release date has been pushed back to the end of October. Noooooo :(

WHAT NO. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This is unacceptable. :(

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Well, at least it gives me more time to play dark souls :(

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I just found this out as well and I am the saddest boy. :(

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
There seems to be a lot of confusion right now as Gamestop has not changed the date for Tides yet. October sounds like a safe bet on the release; Natsume is pretty drat notorious for delays.

When Frontier came out, My local Best Buy did not get it in until a month after Gamestop did, which pissed me off as I had reward certificates to spend there. I never did figure out why it happened but maybe we'll see a repeat of that situation for Tides?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Well the original date was near the end of September anyway. Delaying another week ain't gonna kill me (unlike waiting for Disgaea 4 to ship).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

yellowcar posted:

Well the original date was near the end of September anyway. Delaying another week ain't gonna kill me (unlike waiting for Disgaea 4 to ship).

I think you misunderstood. Amazon now says October 31st. That's another 4 weeks.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

glod posted:

That's only about 5 weeks, you make it seem like it's next year or something.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have to admit I'm a little relieved. Playing two HM games at once puts me at risk of getting HM'd out. Also it'll give me a little more time to finish replaying Little King's Story.

I'd be sad if the DS one got pushed back, though! That alpaca must be mine!

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 19, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If Tides of Destiny is pushed back to end of October, that puts it dangerously close with so many other releases: Skyrim, Uncharted, Saint's Row 3 and I could go on.

I might end up buying a copy (before it goes OoP) and not even touch it until next year.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
drat, I just got Rune Factory 3 last week and I've already put at least 35 hours into the game. This game is loving addictive. Reminds me of when I first got Friends of Mineral Town, that game owned my life for about 3 weeks, I imagine this one will be the same.

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

So I'm playing RF3 and have firmly decided on Sakuya as my wife, and then one day Wells calls me to his room and tells me "I think Shara likes you, please don't break her heart" and then I get Monica's "I'd be sad if you liked Shara, but I'd be even sadder if you liked anyone else" and then finally Shara tells me she thinks she's in love with me, and I'm thinking maybe I should change my mind, Sakuya won't take it badly-no wait what the gently caress am I doing how is this game making me feel guilt?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

normal contact posted:

So I'm playing RF3 and have firmly decided on Sakuya as my wife, and then one day Wells calls me to his room and tells me "I think Shara likes you, please don't break her heart" and then I get Monica's "I'd be sad if you liked Shara, but I'd be even sadder if you liked anyone else" and then finally Shara tells me she thinks she's in love with me, and I'm thinking maybe I should change my mind, Sakuya won't take it badly-no wait what the gently caress am I doing how is this game making me feel guilt?

It's OK, I know how you feel. :smith: I'm playing through all the storylines because I don't want to miss anything - now every girl in town has a massive crush on me and Carlos has given me permission to date his sister. I never even WANTED to date her in the first place!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
The next step in this series needs to be the ability to woo some of the older women. I doubt they'd ever do it, but I just want to see the reaction when some girl finds out you're marrying her mother.

I was also always a little upset that you can't marry the blacksmith woman in RF2. :black101:

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

I have to admit I'm a little relieved. Playing two HM games at once puts me at risk of getting HM'd out. Also it'll give me a little more time to finish replaying Little King's Story.

I'd be sad if the DS one got pushed back, though! That alpaca must be mine!

I just got notice that mine's in the mail, so you should be fine.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
How was the first Rune Factory Frontier? With Tides having been pushed back, I have been considering playing the first one to kill time, but I thought I remembered hearing it wasn't that great.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hey isn't that new Two Towns game out today?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dana Crysalis posted:

How was the first Rune Factory Frontier? With Tides having been pushed back, I have been considering playing the first one to kill time, but I thought I remembered hearing it wasn't that great.

It's okay for the first Spring, after that you're forced to manage the runey population or crops will literally take weeks to grow. I don't really know what to compare it to, but it's complete poo poo.

Not as a huge strike against the game itself but some of the story progression events are also rather obtuse.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Am I the only one who thought the controls for RFF were clunky and uncomfortable?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

zachol posted:

Hey isn't that new Two Towns game out today?

It's the 20th already? drat, yeah it's supposed to be out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No games ever actually release on mondays. The 20th was most likely the ship date.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No games ever actually release on mondays. The 20th was most likely the ship date.

It is the 20th today, Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, right, of course... that means I should get to bed.

• Locked thread