Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Dolash posted:

How do bondsmen work again?

Hard and without complaint, if they know what's good for them.

The Sarna article is just a stub, but, basically, it amounts to "you keep what you shoot down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dolash posted:

Oh right, I'd almost forgotten.

...Um.

How do bondsmen work again?

Poorly, and in an ill-defined fashion that varies from author to author, for the most part. :)

Technically, though, if you're the one who beat them, you can claim the person in question as a Bondsman. They serve you as member of the Labor Caste until you say they're ready to be promoted back to Warrior, though that depends on the Clan you belong to.

The Smoke Jaguars, for example, almost never promote people up to Warrior. Clan Sea Fox is one of the more liberal Clans out there and therefore one of the more likely to let a Bondsman climb back into the cockpit.

The problem, of course, is that if you've declared your enemies to be bandits they're dezgra and shouldn't be considered for Bondsman status in the first place, since the whole point of the system is to rehabilitate worthy Warriors so they can contribute to the Clan either through service or through their genetics...and no Clan wants dirty bandit genes mucking things up unless the bandit in question is an awesome fighter, and Holly didn't do much to show herself to be worthy of that.

It's why Samantha Clover got made a Bondsman on Sommerset, since she did an awesome job for herself, while the remaining members of the Donegal Guard got to go home. She'd "earned" herself the right to be a Bondsman.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Welp, that's what I get for walking instead of jumping for a round, I guess.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Edit: On a related note anyone that takes SRM carriers in a L1 double blind game should be stabbed.

A caveat to this: It is really, really funny to watch a double blind game in a city that involves a few SRM carriers.

Atlas goes around the corner and...leg gone, on it's back with a gyro and engine hit.

Honestly, they're like little shotguns with tracks.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

jng2058 posted:

To be fair this is the bonus scenario where we get to murder the cast of Far Country. I'm not certain it has much in the way of long term consequence, and as such, the difficulty level is probably down a few notches.

Either that or the bad air will make Nioclas lose it, and it'll be him against the rest of the Star.

You know I am okay with killing the cast of Far Country as a mission bonus now that you mention it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It was also a good opportunity to show off the advantages of Clan light 'Mechs (who's disadvantage is simply "being a light 'Mech"). When the difference between armor is typically less than a ton, the Clan weight savings simply let them carry an obscene amount of firepower in a really fragile but typically mobile carrier.

It's why one of the Kit Fox variants can carry a Gauss Rifle and other weapons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the Pirhana really is a loving excellent mech. I've been in love ever since they were first mentioned early in this thread. A mech with the speed to get in close with an obscene number of machine guns, weapons which are normally useless because of their tiny range and the danger represented by their stupid ammo, but which when mounted on a very fast chassis with enough barrels to actually make use of all that ammo become crit-seeking zero-heat murderizers.

Throw in that painted-on domo-kun toothy face and... :swoon:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Piranha is one of the few mech designs that machine guns are not a complete liability on. Despite that, I still prefer the Piranha 2, which replaces the ER lasers with Heavy lasers and the machine guns with ER Micro Lasers.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Edit: On a related note anyone that takes SRM carriers in a L1 double blind game should be stabbed.

You should try LRM carriers and some spotters. Its a whole lotta cheap missiles from nowhere.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, the Piranhas here really shined this mission. Those DEST dudes probably would have been a lot more dangerous if they weren't around. All those machine guns...

Trast posted:

So when does the army of chicken warriors come boiling out of the forest?

Well, the only two able to see them (due to being infected) are piloting Piranhas, with their aforementioned mass of machine guns. If they do come out, they're going to eat a poo poo-ton of dakka from those two machines. I don't think chicken stuffed with all that lead there would taste too good...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
My guy saw them before he got lasered. He didn't mention it over the comm, and I like to think it was because he saw how embarrassing it was for the first guy who said out loud he was seeing bird aliens.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought I was the only surviving pilot with the infection, now that A good poster's bought it?

If so, so long as nobody else gets infected in the last round we should be able to find out what happens to infected people without scrubbing the whole mission.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Machine Gun ammunition is made of tinfoil mercury that allows the government to beam thoughts directly into your brain with Microwave Laser Satellites. It's the only explanation that makes sense as to why you're seeing Bird Aliens.

Anyway, I think this scenario is a good example of what happens when the Clan doesn't follow their honour rules and are set loose against an equivalently weighted Inner Sphere unit.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This is where you claim the wiley panther pilot as a bondsman, right?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dolash posted:

I thought I was the only surviving pilot with the infection, now that A good poster's bought it?

If so, so long as nobody else gets infected in the last round we should be able to find out what happens to infected people without scrubbing the whole mission.

Whoops, I got our infected pilots mixed up. Yeah, Dolash's Piranha pilot is the only one left that's infected and able to see the chickens now that Salah has bought it. His machine guns should be enough to take them all out regardless.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Whoops, I got our infected pilots mixed up. Yeah, Dolash's Piranha pilot is the only one left that's infected and able to see the chickens now that Salah has bought it. His machine guns should be enough to take them all out regardless.

True, unless the chickens took lessons from the ewoks.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

This is where you claim the wiley panther pilot as a bondsman, right?

It's Garber loving Vost.

Dude needs killin'. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

It's Garber loving Vost.

Seriously. I'd keep Holly Goodall alive before I let Vost live. Fucker needs to die.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

It's Garber loving Vost.

Yeah, you've already called these guys bandits, so why the hell would you want to take them as bondsmen? Vost hasn't even done anything to merit becoming a bondsman. Wonder who will get the "honor" of actually killing Vost. Probably Inari or Dolash's dude.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

jng2058 posted:

Herself. It's Holly Goodall (really?) the main love interest of the book, as I recall.
There was no love-tumor in Far Country (and thank heaven for small favors). She was simply the merc pilot who flipped sides and fought for the other idiots "good guys."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There was no love-tumor in Far Country (and thank heaven for small favors). She was simply the merc pilot who flipped sides and fought for the other idiots "good guys."

Female protagonist, then?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Female protagonist, then?

An an extremely misogynistic book mercenary unit. Which isn't uncommon in the Draconis Combine, because wimmins can't pilot 'Mechs and anyone who allows them to do so is a barbarian.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

An an extremely misogynistic book mercenary unit. Which isn't uncommon in the Draconis Combine, because wimmins can't pilot 'Mechs and anyone who allows them to do so is a barbarian.

So the Draconis Combine is the Tea Party in space?

sericks
Jul 19, 2006
Box Fulla' Orks: like a barrel of monkeys, but squarer and more deadly.
Only if they start hunting moose from dropships as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

So the Draconis Combine is the Tea Party in space?

Feudal Japan. With an extra helping of 'crazy, World War II' Japan thrown on top.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Well the next kurita did do some reforms and promptly they attempted to assassinate him. :)

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

sericks posted:

Only if they start hunting moose from dropships as well.

Actually, hunting moose from dropships sounds really, really boss.

Of course, just hunting regular moose from a dropship is overkill, and that's coming from someone who takes the adage "There is no 'overkill,' there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'" seriously, so...

Yeah. You won't be hunting regular moose. You'll be cruising along in the hold of an aerodyne, maybe a Leopard. You and your lance are all in brand-spanking new shiny Hollanders.

And the moose you're hunting is about one and a half times the size of your dropship. It's a real land-leviathan, with armored plates on its hide as tough as ferro-fibrous armor, and secondary and even tertiary backup organs.

Oh, and it can launch boulders with its horns, fast enough and high enough to smack into a dropship and gently caress it up. So you'd better think fast.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Of course, just hunting regular moose from a dropship is overkill, and that's coming from someone who takes the adage "There is no 'overkill,' there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'" seriously, so...

Yeah. You won't be hunting regular moose. You'll be cruising along in the hold of an aerodyne, maybe a Leopard. You and your lance are all in brand-spanking new shiny Hollanders.

And the moose you're hunting is about one and a half times the size of your dropship. It's a real land-leviathan, with armored plates on its hide as tough as ferro-fibrous armor, and secondary and even tertiary backup organs.

Oh, and it can launch boulders with its horns, fast enough and high enough to smack into a dropship and gently caress it up. So you'd better think fast.

I would play the poo poo out of hunt-biological-monstrosity simulator.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Artificer posted:

You: a hover-copter minigun operator.

Them: alien bugs that can't jump nearly as well as your pilot can fly.

I call it "Turkeyshoot."

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Artificer posted:

You may be interested in Monster Hunter and/or the Lost Planet series.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oh, you mean hunting Clan moose from a dropship.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

Oh, you mean hunting Clan moose from a dropship.

Yep.

When the clans got to the Pentagon Worlds, on one of their outlying worlds, they discovered this beast. The only name they could think of for it was the "Hell Moose."

Come time to name the Clans, someone asked "why not Clan Hell Moose?" Everybody looked around uncomfortably.

None of the Clans felt they were awesome enough, deadly enough, to take the name of the Hell Moose as their own.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

However, because of lack of experience, it gets a +1 to hit penalty to melee attacks with its horns.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sair posted:

You should try LRM carriers and some spotters. Its a whole lotta cheap missiles from nowhere.

I've done that with a VTOL. Your LoS is pretty impressive at a height of 70.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

I've done that with a VTOL. Your LoS is pretty impressive at a height of 70.

That's why I typically soft-cap VTOLs at about height 15 or so (depending on the map--the flatter the map, the lower I'll force them to fly). That, or allow dedicated anti-air units like the Partisan (and Kraken, and Jagermech, and really anything with more than one AC/2) to shoot them anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That certainly is a way of dealing with it, but if you're clever with the VTOL, you can minimize it.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why I typically soft-cap VTOLs at about height 15 or so (depending on the map--the flatter the map, the lower I'll force them to fly). That, or allow dedicated anti-air units like the Partisan (and Kraken, and Jagermech, and really anything with more than one AC/2) to shoot them anyway.

Another decent GM like thing to do in such a situation is set out scenario house rules to prevent abuse that make sense flavor wise. It doesn't make sense to have the things that actually prevent aircraft from flying high over the battlefield modeled in the scale of Battletech matches. In comparison to say, 80's battlefields, the Kraken/Jaegermech/Partisan are sort of like the ZSU-23 or M163 that deploy with the tanks to counter rotary wing tank hunters that generally fly too low for other anti-air assets. Were some helicopter to fly above the effective range of those vehicles it would promptly be swatted down by by big antiaircraft missiles for which it kindly provided a big, slow moving target.

So you can supply an effective ceiling based on what fits your scenario like 'anything above 15 gets targeted by aerospace assets and blowed the gently caress up' or 'big SAM's can target you above H 15" and it probably enhances the experience for everyone.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just wanted to post this fanart of the Bane 2 and Bane 3 (Kraken in the IS):

That image of the Bane 3 makes me imagine a giant 'gently caress YOU' label attached to the main trigger in that thing's cockpit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it fan art? I'm sure I've seen that signature on official TROs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

anakha posted:

Just wanted to post this fanart of the Bane 2 and Bane 3 (Kraken in the IS):

That image of the Bane 3 makes me imagine a giant 'gently caress YOU' label attached to the main trigger in that thing's cockpit.

That thing has three triggers.

"Missiles." "More Missiles." and "ALL THE F*CKING MISSILES!"

It's glorious!

• Locked thread