Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Cause that's what that sentence is talking about and I think what you are asking?

:psyduck: Yeah, that answered it, thanks. I swear I already tried that and it didn't work. Redlight is gaslighting me and making me go crazy. Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

IUG posted:

The only correct response. Also lava.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I like jar jar binks :c00lbert:

I also can't see how that mountain looks like him, can someone point it out?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GreatKesh posted:

I like jar jar binks :c00lbert:

I also can't see how that mountain looks like him, can someone point it out?

It looks kind of like a duck. I guess if you ignore the missing ears completely, Jar Jar looks kind of like a duck as well.

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.

Unoriginal Name posted:

So my power went out in the middle of a mining session and when I came back the world has vanished from my list. The level data is still in my folder, but it won't show up in game. What gives?

That happened to me once as well. The level gets corrupted when it shuts down like that (I think). Open up the world in MCEdit and close it and that will set things right again.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Man, I'm enjoying building my mushroom fortress.

I cleared out a stationary lava pool too, now that I've found some diamond. Just opened my first portal on top of some brownshrooms.

I wonder if these fuckers are flammable, and I'll lose all of my poo poo in a lightning storm...

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010
So here's an interesting thing: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Potion_effects

What could this mean? Actual potions? Uses for experience points? Status ailments for boss fights?

The possibilities are endless!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Frock Lobster posted:

So here's an interesting thing: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Potion_effects

What could this mean? Actual potions? Uses for experience points? Status ailments for boss fights?

The possibilities are endless!

Potions that did things would be neat. Like one made with feathers that make you float.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Senator Woofington posted:

Here is the crash log I am getting from my server: http://pastebin.com/RRHvdP7G . Any ideas?

Someone is shift-clicking in chests on your server. Tell them to stop it. I got this crash like 5 times and it was always someone doing this.

I guess I should update my server. :v:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Nope, notch added a dark black fog there that can't be lit up. I didn't even consider someone would make a room down there. I think you're hosed.

I made an evil temple with a Nether portal right at the bedrock level, and now you can't see any of it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It might be interesting if the levelling system includes skill trees you can put points in at each level up.

• Mining makes you break blocks faster and find random resources inside blocks at high levels.
  • Blacksmiths craft weapons and armour with more durability and at high levels can repair items by reforging them.
  • Alchemy lets you brew potions and possibly transmute resources into other items kinda like the golden apple.
  • Sorcery could let you make scrolls using redstone and ores to cast spells or imbue items with elemental effects.
  • Warriors deal more damage with both axes and swords. High levels gain a multiplier on armour.
  • Rogues Gain increased damage with bows and sneaking makes them more translucent the further away they are as well as guaranteed crits when attacking from behind. High level rogues see a glow around pressure pads and switches.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Skill trees would be interesting if there was more game behind everything. As Minecraft stands now, it's still a sandbox, there is no reason for skills really, especially combat related ones. Crits and the archery changes already make combat much more manageable against the current mobs.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
I noticed sheep I used shears on long ago are still hanging out, even ones super far away. I'm guessing they got rid of them disappearing? Does the wool regrow now or something?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I haven't seen a slime in a while, did slimes get broken?

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010

DR AIDS posted:

I noticed sheep I used shears on long ago are still hanging out, even ones super far away. I'm guessing they got rid of them disappearing? Does the wool regrow now or something?

Passive mobs don't despawn anymore (nor do they respawn). Wool doesn't regrow yet, but it will in a future version, and there'll be an animal breeding system to replace mobs you've killed.

^^I haven't seen a single slime in this version.

Frock Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 16, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
If you use the seed "lovely Herobrine Reference" you get this directly next to your spawn. So I guess if you like mountains and junk. I don't have time to go exploring it, but I can see at least one large cave mouth; no idea if it leads anywhere. And there's a convenient reed down in the cove where the mountain water pours in, but I don't know if seeds determine things like that.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
You probably shouldn't punch mountains so hard next time. Seriously, look at your fist, there's blood all over it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Krinkle posted:

Just yesterday I encountered one big slime blob in a cave, then I punched him into lava :haw:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Sprinting and jumping at the same time across long flat areas makes me pretend I'm a kangaroo :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

If you use the seed "lovely Herobrine Reference" you get this directly next to your spawn. So I guess if you like mountains and junk. I don't have time to go exploring it, but I can see at least one large cave mouth; no idea if it leads anywhere. And there's a convenient reed down in the cove where the mountain water pours in, but I don't know if seeds determine things like that.

You just know that needs to be turned into a goatse.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

MeinGott posted:

Sprinting and jumping at the same time across long flat areas makes me pretend I'm a kangaroo :3:

I pretend I'm playing Quake and rotate my view slowly back and forth while alternating on the left and right keys. HOOH! HOOH! HOOH!

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I've seen slimes. They only Spawn in certain chunks though(due to slimes spawning way too much, they changed this a few patches ago), and deep underground of course.

I know there's a program out there somewhere that can find which chunks can spawn slimes. None the less, the minecraft wiki is very useful and I use it all the time.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PalmTreeFun posted:

I pretend I'm playing Quake and rotate my view slowly back and forth while alternating on the left and right keys. HOOH! HOOH! HOOH!

Haha I was doing that to, trying to anime style jump back and forth across a ravine!

It didn't work and I fell in then died :(

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
If anyone out there likes the idea of island hopping, but isn't as hardcore as some of the folks in this thread: death to the incompetent starts you off on a smallish swamp island. here's the map:

There's a village in the desert of the continent to the left, and the mountains on the continent to the right are pretty hardcore. I'll be busy over the next few days filling the spawn island with city.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FirePhoenix posted:

Skill trees would be interesting if there was more game behind everything. As Minecraft stands now, it's still a sandbox, there is no reason for skills really, especially combat related ones. Crits and the archery changes already make combat much more manageable against the current mobs.

The thing is, in Minecraft, specific skill 'leveling' as such is provided by increasing and improving weapons/armour. It'd be better to accomplish such a mechanic with more options for further improvement along these lines. I don't know what his plans are for the XP bar, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 16, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

PalmTreeFun posted:

You probably shouldn't punch mountains so hard next time. Seriously, look at your fist, there's blood all over it.

I decided early on to inject some realism into my minecraft. Am I some kind of super mutant who can punch trees and dirt all day long and keep my blocky fists in perfect condition? I think not

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

trandorian posted:

Try making a shortcut with this as the shortcut target:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx3172M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\jeremiah\downloads\Minecraft.exe"

Only, you change the last part depending on where you put the minecraft.exe

Yeah, that's the way I always run it. Tried with and without. Just tried again on a fresh Windows install and brand new HDD. Still happens.

It's a problem with this version, I've concluded. All previous versions ran just fine on this PC.

So to those who would go to extremes formatting and re-installing Windows to fix the out of memory crashes and lag spikes: It made no difference at all for me (unsurprisingly). I'm just thankful I was reinstalling Windows anyway, I would have been pissed if I did it all for nothing.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Jens just tweeted this:

Looks like some sort of ruined bridge, Nether strongholds? Hopefully he'll add more useful rather than decorative blocks to the Nether too.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
"I can't see poo poo, Captain." Indeed. Seriously what bridge?

I'm personally hoping for a more hellish nether with biomes. Haunted underground forests where the "sky" is a layer of obsidian speckled with glowstone stars high above. Gnarled trees with dead branches instead of leaf blocks and a single demonic face on the 2nd block from the ground.

Dark swamp biomes with massive mushrooms lining black rivers of styx-water as the screaming souls of the damned are washed away.

Frozen hellscapes where massive ice caverns are broken by volcanic springs and pools of acid surrounding diamond and redstone crystal growths that pulse with their own light. Would also provide some new liquids for mixing the potions hinted at in the code. Lava, Water, Soul Water and acidic slime could make some interesting combinations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Corrupted my survival savegame that had heaps of diamonds and poo poo and farms and stuff. :(

Oh well, nothing like a fresh restart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Verizian posted:

"I can't see poo poo, Captain." Indeed. Seriously what bridge?

Look right in the middle, it's pretty much in the shadows but you can recognize the tile block pattern from all the netherack etc. patterns.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Nenonen posted:

Look right in the middle, it's pretty much in the shadows but you can recognize the tile block pattern from all the netherack etc. patterns.

Woah, nether bricks!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

notch posted:

Sudenly! http://i.imgur.com/7DCvy.png

Looks like the mushroom/fantasy biome in the background.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ - What the hell is that? Mushroom cow?

Out of curiousity, what happens if an enderman moves a chest? The 1.8 test server I'm playing on is changing a lot so I'm keeping very temporary residences. I can only really guess one of the following:

1) It can't move chests, full or empty.
2) It can move chests, but all the items fall out of it.
3) It can move chests, and all the items inside are retained.
4) The game crashes as soon as the chest comes off the ground, the world is corrupted, the server shits itself.

Any info on this?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Roses aren't quite gone completely, I accidentally used bonemeal on a grass block instead of the mushroom I was aiming for and a ton of flowers sprouted up all around me, including roses! If you need your red dye or are making a garden just try that.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Rack posted:

Out of curiousity, what happens if an enderman moves a chest? The 1.8 test server I'm playing on is changing a lot so I'm keeping very temporary residences. I can only really guess one of the following:

1) It can't move chests, full or empty.
2) It can move chests, but all the items fall out of it.
3) It can move chests, and all the items inside are retained.
4) The game crashes as soon as the chest comes off the ground, the world is corrupted, the server shits itself.

Any info on this?

I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to move it at all, since chests (or any other block that can contain items, like furnaces or dispensers) can't be pushed by pistons. Probably the same principle applies.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rack posted:

I'm working with funguw, a cowgus, a shrow or infected cow.

Fungus, shroom, cow, bovine, you'd think one could be more inventive than fungow at least.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are the auth servers down? I really wanted to update but logging in fails. :(

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl

Jeb's Twitter posted:

Netherack Bricks! Dark red, looks good. I hope that means netherack will have other crafting recipes too. And the Fungal Cow is wonderful, The grass is either dark grey or some marshy greyish blue too, with a few particles floating above it in the corner. Maybe it just hasn't gotten color yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NeurosisHead posted:

Are the auth servers down? I really wanted to update but logging in fails. :(

Try redownloading the client.