Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

wormil posted:

It pays homage to many other zombie classics along the way. Good to know that all the hot girls survive the apocalypse and that they choose to be scantily clad, still no character is marginalized, each play a role. I plowed through all 12 episodes and look forward to more.
Well there's always the uncomfortable OVA where they go to a deserted island, change into bikinis and two of the female characters make out while the lead male character almost gets bitten while making out with two zombies. Also has anyone noticed the increase in giallos they've been putting up on Netflix? Between the random bits of Argento and Fulci (especially 'New York Ripper' and it's quacking serial killer) most of the films are at least somewhat enjoyable as being very confusing European thrillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Running Wilde is on there, pretty good show about a environmentalist moving in with a superficial heir to a oil company. Stars Will Arnett and Charlize Theron (I think), it has some good writing, good characters, and some funny running gags.
Also, David Cross is in the first few episodes.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They did well with Spice and Wolf, for instance, but stay the gently caress away from Pumpkin Scissors--their dub work makes it unwatchable.

Don't worry about that one. I don't think I could ever force myself to watch something called Pumpkin Scissors anyway. That's gotta be one of those weird Japanese to English mistranslations, right? Please tell me it is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A Nice Boy posted:

Don't worry about that one. I don't think I could ever force myself to watch something called Pumpkin Scissors anyway. That's gotta be one of those weird Japanese to English mistranslations, right? Please tell me it is.

Yeah, a mistranslation, that's the ticket.

Okay, I lied. It's an accurate translation. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told that the commander formed the Pumpkin Scissors platoon to "cut through bad guys like scissors through a pumpkin." I'm still looking for it on the cheap on DVD because I've heard that it's pretty good despite having a loving silly name.

My Princess (drama, Korean language with English subtitles)

A girl finds out that she's a princess and is whisked away to the royal palace to be taught etiquette. Sixteen episodes of digital crack cocaine. Don't start this unless you have no important things to do for a while because you won't be able to stop!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Narwhale posted:

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now up. Please watch it as soon as possible.

I'd like to curse you and everyone who recommended this after you. Seriously, I now have to stagger off to work on less than four hours of sleep because any desire to rest promptly left me as I started the series :colbert:

The humor in it reminds me of Dexter and Dead like Me which were both favorites of mine, and this one is fast turning out to be another favorite.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My Princess (drama, Korean language with English subtitles)

A girl finds out that she's a princess and is whisked away to the royal palace to be taught etiquette. Sixteen episodes of digital crack cocaine. Don't start this unless you have no important things to do for a while because you won't be able to stop!

I think that sentence you used from the description is pretty bullshit, though. I guess there's some etiquette teaching in the show occasionally maybe that one time but it's mostly about how everyone loving hates her because they're all selfish assholes and are all plotting against her in different ways in an attempt to make her fail and refuse to accept the title of princess. :v:

Also I'm watching the Korean version of Boys Before (Over/whatever) Flowers since I've seen the original Japanese version... it maintains a lot of the same plot points so far but is different enough to watch again. Also Gu JunPyoo's hair is hilariously bad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did Netflix just change their site so that your queued movies that have gone are not currently being offered for instant watch no longer show up at the bottom of the list and count against your 500 allotted?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Did Netflix just change their site so that your queued movies that have gone are not currently being offered for instant watch no longer show up at the bottom of the list and count against your 500 allotted?

I thought they already did that. I know I've hit my cap before due to unavailable poo poo that was still in my queue, and that was probably a year or so before they collapsed down the individual seasons of TV shows.

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005
Eh, finally watched Dear Zachary after hearing about how horrifically traumatic it was for a long time. An interesting story but on an emotional level I wasn't devastated or anything. Hard to say if it was a case of getting hyped up for something super-emotional and being prepared for it, or being pulled out of it by things the filmmaker did. Seemed like he was taking something rather emotional all on its own and trying to supercharge it. The reenactment of the guys murder with gunshot sound effects, flashes, and interspersed murder photos was probably the most glaring example.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Death Dealer posted:

Having watched half of the show in a day, I can say the show is pretty good, and the Dawn of the Dead similarities keep coming. Though if the gratuitous panty shots and bouncing breasts were making you reconsider, it only keeps going. Plus one episode which is basically the equivalent of a "Hot Springs" episode of a lot of other anime.

Comcast is trying to get you to watch this for 99 cents per episode. I saw an ad and thought it looked awesome, but gently caress spending 99 cents per episode. It's pretty cool aside from all of the boob shots.

Of course, my husband asked what I was watching when he came home. He sat down to watch it. I warned him that you just kind of have to ignore the tit shots. Then, the loving "hot springs" episode came on. Jesus christ, you guys weren't kidding. You can't even fast forward through it since they keep cutting in with the bath scene.

I did dig the Shaun gas station. No clue if the other zombie movie references in the English translation were also in the Japanese script.

Rabidsamba posted:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I just finished watching Wristcutters: A Love Story on instant and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it considering it was just a random movie I saw scrolling through the main page on Netflix.

This was a really cool movie. Sometimes Netflix is completely right with recommendations of random movies. Speaking of things that surprised me with actually being funny, Blue Mountain State was actually pretty funny for the first season. Second season wasn't so great, aside from Thad's spiritual journey.

Edit: I gave up on the Highschool of the Dead. They have a kinda cool story that they had to ruin with ridiculous tits and asses. I kept hoping that they'd stop, and then I got to the beginning of episode 11, started the fast forward and noticed the tits didn't stop after the credits.

Bored has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Sep 19, 2011

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Looks like they finally put all of the Sean Connery Bond movies on Instant. drat, I wanted to get some things done today... :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

wormil posted:

Gakuen mokushiroku: Highschool of the dead is up, not sure how long but it just showed up in my recommendations. (...) It's rated highly enough for me to watch a few episodes and see if I like it.

I got the impression by the reviews that this would be different from 'just another derivative anime'; but after 4 episodes, I think that's exactly what it is.

If you don't like anime in general, I would just skip this one. I wish I had.

In fact, if you're a fan of zombie stories, the anime-ness of this actually ruins the coolness entirely.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I am a fan of showers therefor I cannot be a fan of anime.

Also, watch The Dirty Dozen.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Smeed posted:

I am a fan of showers therefor I cannot be a fan of anime.

If you were a fan of showers you wouldn't be posting on Something Awful in the first place. :smug:

Seriously Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness are up. I shouldn't have to list a reason why these are both good films but whatever here it is. This is from when John Carpenter was at his A game and unlike The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China aren't talked about so often by horror nerds online that if you haven't seen it already, the movies aren't spoiled and the tension can build and surprise you.

If any reading this can even tolerate anime, Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro is up and is an actual must see as it is a genuine animation classic. It's by Hayao Miyazaki so its free of typical anime bullshit and Spielberg calls in one of the best adventure movies of all time. Its only in englist sadly and the dub is kinda weak. Not terrible but it can get dull the impact of some moments in the film.

Undead Unicorn has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Sep 18, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

I got the impression by the reviews that this would be different from 'just another derivative anime'

I've only watched a little anime so maybe that works to my benefit. I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Speed Grapher and this in entirety, Speed Racer if that counts. I've watched bits of pieces of other things but they pretty much all sucked.

Captain Lavender posted:

In fact, if you're a fan of zombie stories, the anime-ness of this actually ruins the coolness entirely.

I disagree. It paid it's homages and stuck to the basic concept of 'run your rear end off and nowhere is safe' that is the bread and butter of zombie fiction. There is some minor character development and every character ends up contributing to their survival which reinforces that none of them survived by accident. It doesn't have that super-chaotic, "I have no loving idea what is going on" factor that I've experienced with a lot of the anime shows I've tried to watch and hated.

On the downside, the character art is very generic and almost all the girls are nearly identical. The main male character is of course handsome and his harem of girls fight over him and constantly try to seduce him. He is something of a milquetoast in the beginning but thankfully doesn't stay that way. Ultimately it's a cartoon and I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

wormil posted:

I've only watched a little anime so maybe that works to my benefit. I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Speed Grapher and this in entirety, Speed Racer if that counts. I've watched bits of pieces of other things but they pretty much all sucked.

I disagree. It paid it's homages and stuck to the basic concept of 'run your rear end off and nowhere is safe' that is the bread and butter of zombie fiction. There is some minor character development and every character ends up contributing to their survival which reinforces that none of them survived by accident. It doesn't have that super-chaotic, "I have no loving idea what is going on" factor that I've experienced with a lot of the anime shows I've tried to watch and hated.

On the downside, the character art is very generic and almost all the girls are nearly identical. The main male character is of course handsome and his harem of girls fight over him and constantly try to seduce him. He is something of a milquetoast in the beginning but thankfully doesn't stay that way. Ultimately it's a cartoon and I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

I think you're right; we've come at it from different places. It's a genre that just makes me grimace to think about, so I was probably ready to hate it.

So I change my vote from, "Don't watch it" to "I really didn't care for it".

EDIT: Since I'm already here, I just watched 13 Assassins. It was fine. Definitely had a 7 Samurai sort of feel to it, but I reckon there's probably a lot of samurai movies that do. It was a solid watch, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. Very visceral. Lots of "samurai code" stuff goin' on.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Sep 18, 2011

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm so glad Breaking Bad is finally on instant watch, I've been getting the DVDs one at a time but it's much easier to just use instant watch.

My own suggestion:

Mary & Max is an australian clay-mation drama about a miserable Australian 7 year old girl becoming pen pals with a 40 year old jewish New Yorker who has aspergers. If you're a fan of dark comedy or drama this movie is amazing. One of my all time favorite dramas.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

I'm so glad Breaking Bad is finally on instant watch, I've been getting the DVDs one at a time but it's much easier to just use instant watch.

My own suggestion:

Mary & Max is an australian clay-mation drama about a miserable Australian 7 year old girl becoming pen pals with a 40 year old jewish New Yorker who has aspergers. If you're a fan of dark comedy or drama this movie is amazing. One of my all time favorite dramas.

I'd like to second this. I really loved this movie and it was very touching and often funny in a sad/dark way.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is on Netflix.

This is going to be the best night of my life.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Agent355 posted:

Thank you very much for this.

EDIT: I've been crying a lot more at shows and movies since reading this thread. I don't know whether to thank you all for that, or if I should go see a professional.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Sep 18, 2011

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is on Netflix.

This is going to be the best night of my life.

I remembered it being much, much better than it was. :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Thank you very much for this.

EDIT: I've been crying a lot more at shows and movies since reading this thread. I don't know whether to thank you all for that, or if I should go see a professional.

If anybody doesn't cry at least sometimes during Mary and Max they have no soul.

Personally I cried alot during that movie but I cry at movies in general. I was inconsolable during Up.

Kung Pao: Enter the Fist was okay at best.

You want a kung fu parody movie it's Kung Fu Hustle or bust.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

Eh, finally watched Dear Zachary after hearing about how horrifically traumatic it was for a long time. An interesting story but on an emotional level I wasn't devastated or anything. Hard to say if it was a case of getting hyped up for something super-emotional and being prepared for it, or being pulled out of it by things the filmmaker did. Seemed like he was taking something rather emotional all on its own and trying to supercharge it. The reenactment of the guys murder with gunshot sound effects, flashes, and interspersed murder photos was probably the most glaring example.

I think it's a case of sort of expecting the worst. I went into it knowing very little and just on the recommendation that it was a good documentary. Afterwards I wanted the Sun to explode and engulf us all in a fiery death.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Announced yesterday, Netflix DVD service will be renamed Qwickster and will be a separate service/website from Netflix which will be streaming only. Qwickster will be adding video games as an option for an extra fee. No other price changes planned.

http://blog.netflix.com/

edit: thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVV

wormil has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Sep 19, 2011

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's "Qwikster"(https://www.qwikster.com)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Dumb name, sounds like a dumb inconvenience, and thousands of older folks are going to cry out in confusion - what the gently caress is this poo poo?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Also, this puts them in a bad light:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/294246-netflix-versus-the-sec

I really like the streaming service and hope the company doesn't implode.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Blog promises substantial additional streaming content soon, so I'm optimistic.

I wonder if the DVD service being spun off into a separate company will make streaming content easier to acquire, since a lot of the big studios are unhappy with the Netflix/Redbox way of doing things.

Still, I was promised Frasier over a year ago. WTF Netflix?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

wormil posted:

Announced yesterday, Netflix DVD service will be renamed Qwickster and will be a separate service/website from Netflix which will be streaming only. Qwickster will be adding video games as an option for an extra fee. No other price changes planned.

http://blog.netflix.com/

edit: thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVV

I'm interested in their video game options. Gamefly always takes way longer than netflix to get me the next item on my list. I'll probably try a month of the games service to see how it performs, depending on the cost.

The name isn't great though. I feel like something like Netflix Disc, or something more recognizable would've been a better change.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Jolo posted:

I'm interested in their video game options. Gamefly always takes way longer than netflix to get me the next item on my list. I'll probably try a month of the games service to see how it performs, depending on the cost.

The name isn't great though. I feel like something like Netflix Disc, or something more recognizable would've been a better change.

Yeah, Gamefly blows. It takes like three days to get games and even when you game the system it's still hard to get anything current or popular. I was going to start disc service back up anyway and I'll probably get the games added on.

I find the doom callers kind of hilarious since regardless of how you feel about the recent changes, Netflix is still the best at what it does and I'm willing to bet they are still making money hand over fist.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I'm sure netflix sucked in its upstart, just like gamefly does. Gamefly only has a handful of locations across the US whereas netflix has a couple thousand.
However this is all just speculation and I could be wrong.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I got that email I honestly was leaning toward it being a well-made scam email.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I think that sentence you used from the description is pretty bullshit, though. I guess there's some etiquette teaching in the show occasionally maybe that one time but it's mostly about how everyone loving hates her because they're all selfish assholes and are all plotting against her in different ways in an attempt to make her fail and refuse to accept the title of princess. :v:

Yeah, I couldn't think of an eloquent way to summarize what happens without giving too much away so I paraphrased the Netflix summary from memory. Sorry 'bout that. But, it's a good show regardless of my ineptitude and everyone should try it out!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

casual poster posted:

I'm sure netflix sucked in its upstart, just like gamefly does. Gamefly only has a handful of locations across the US whereas netflix has a couple thousand.
However this is all just speculation and I could be wrong.

Gamefly started in 2002 and it still sucks. I wouldn't blame that on it being "new". I had Gamefly in 2003 and it took them a week to get my games and a week for me to get the next one. I also had it in 2010, it took them about two days to be notified my game was coming back and three or four to get the next game to me. Sure it's improved but a week turnaround on old games for $20+ a month still isn't worth it.

Netflix has better distribution and more money to invest, so hopefully it ends up being a good service.

Edit: VVV Bronson is an awesome movie and I'm going to make my girlfriend watch it now that you've informed me it's on Netflix.

Jibo has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Sep 20, 2011

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

While we're all being pissed off about the restructuring, there are still movies on Netfliqwertyster. Including two really interesting ones by Werner Herzog heir apparent and extremely talented crazy person Nicolas Winding Refn.

Bronson is a bizarre, arty kinda-biopic of the legendary British prisoner, who is played by the frequently naked Tom Hardy aka World Champion Of The F Column in "Marry, gently caress, Kill". Brutally violent movie and also campy and hilarious. I've never seen anything like it.

I've also never seen anything like Valhalla Rising, a bizarre, arty, brutally violent (and almost dialogue-free) exploration of mankind's battles with mortality, nature and the Almighty, with Vikings.

I watched these back-to-back and had REALLY weird dreams.

spite house has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Sep 20, 2011

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop and Trollhunter were just added.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

When We Left Earth is a pretty great documentary about the American space program. Episode 4, primarily about the Apollo 13, is more tense to watch than the Tom Hanks movie for sure. There's a huge amount of footage and detail in all the episodes that I had never seen before.

Aside from the evil music whenever Soviet achievements are mentioned, I highly recommend it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

FYI everybody, all of the James Bond movies up to the Pierce Brosnan era will be taken off streaming on 10/1. I've been burning through them since I found out and I'm up to Diamonds Are Forever. Hopefully I'll get through them all by Saturday :ohdear:

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
New episodes of Mythbusters are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I figured I would do some people some favors somewhere and compile a little list of some of the TV shows that are on Instant Watch that generally attract a lot of positive attention / are, by many people's measures, definitely worth watching.

Drama (The Big Ones)
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Luther
Rescue Me
Twin Peaks
Sherlock

Network TV / "Trashy" Drama
Lost
Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Glee
Prison Break
Desperate Housewives
Heroes
Lie To Me

Sci-Fi
Star Trek
Star Trek: TNG
Doctor Who
Firefly
The X-Files
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Comedy
The Office UK
The Office US
Louie
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Party Down
Monty Python's Flying Circus

Animated
Futurama
South Park
Archer
Family Guy
American Dad
Home Movies
King of the Hill

By no means a comprehensive list, I am pretty sure there are good shows that I've missed, and I am positive that there are well-liked shows that have been willfully omitted. I hope this helps!

• Locked thread