Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Earwolf is also firmly anti-Stitcher.

Does Joe Rogan get a better deal out of Stitcher, maybe, or is it all exposure? Maron has plugged Stitcher, too.

edit: also, Redban discussing Stitcher with Bill Burr is pure brain torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

soupcan58 posted:

I think the problem Hardwick was having (If I'm remembering what he posted last night correctly) is that he asked them to use Nerdist's own feed on Stitcher so they could keep track of downloads/listens so they could get advertisers, Stitcher told them they would, and for a while they did. After a while though, Stitcher switched it back to their own feed without letting anyone at Nerdist know, so Nerdist didn't get any stats from them.

That was his story, but that isn't what actually happened. Stitcher downloads one copy from the RSS feed and then redistributes it. That's how they always did it, and by his own admission he just never bothered to check until recently.

quote:

Rachel September 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Hi Chris,
I am the partnership manager at Stitcher. Thanks for taking the time to address The Stitcher Situation for your fans.
We appreciate your position and did remove your great show as soon as it was requested of us.

Just a few clarifications from our side:
We never changed your feed in our database. We always pulled from http://nerdist.libsyn.com/rss. I can send you screen shots of this.

Stitcher downloads one episode/file from your feed and then delivers that off of our server. (This was explained in an email dated 4/13/10). We do host the content on our servers (some providers love the savings on their bandwidth costs!), this enables us to create a better listening experience for the audience. By doing this we are able to allow for sharing, bookmarking a place in a show, volume stabilization and some other user functionality, like lightweight streaming over mobile and in-auto networks (we have deals with some of the major auto manufactures). Listeners’ love this functionality and it is part of the reasons our app has become many people’s preferred way to hear their podcasts.

Another, of course, is the great content. Understanding this, we want to offer our content partners benefits to being on Stitcher. In addition to promoting the shows and introducing the content to new audiences, we provide very detailed advertiser-ready listening metrics via a partner portal. The information we provide is more detailed than is received from downloads and many partners say it is helpful in selling their shows to advertisers. In addition, to our outreach about the rev share and other monetization opportunities, we also wrote to introduce this portal.

While we aspire to make money from our app, the banner ads you see are not even covering our hosting charges right now. In spite of this, we still offer to share what small revenue we do make and we expect our revenue and what is shared to become much larger as time goes on.

Personally, I will miss listening to The Nerdist on Stitcher. Judging by many of the responses today, we know many other listeners will also miss it. It is an exciting time in podcasting and we, at Stitcher, are working hard and are very dedicated to providing content providers with the best way to deliver their shows to the largest, most engaged audience as possible.
Our doors are always open if you wish to work with us in the future.
Sincerely,
Rachel

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Oh hey, an internet feud between two people I don't like over something I don't understand. For reasons I don't understand, I'm going to read all about this. What's wrong with my brain?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I put my podcast on Stitcher because a fan asked me to. It didn't occur to me that it might skew my #s but then again I only look at overall downloads per episode to boost my ego. I'm not making no money from the podcast.

Speaking of that the Live Lou Reads is tomorrow. It won't be live online but I'm going to try to get it online ASAP.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

SKULE123 posted:

Does Joe Rogan get a better deal out of Stitcher, maybe, or is it all exposure? Maron has plugged Stitcher, too.

I'm sure it has more to do with that Rogan likes pleasing his fleshlight sponsor with more ears and just more people in general. Joe also has more money than probably most podcasters (besides Carolla?) so giving his poo poo away in every avenue he can isn't an issue.

Whereas Bill Burr, Marc Maron and the Nerdist guys probably want every possible download accounted for to get sponsors.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Just getting around to listening to the CBB Bumbershoot episodes. The last 15 minutes of the one with Cake Boss/Dom Dimelo/Doug Benson are worth the $10 alone, oh my goodness.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

King Lou posted:

I'm not making no money from the podcast.

Because your first episode after getting sponsorship was all about cum, and jars full of cum.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SKULE123 posted:

Earwolf is also firmly anti-Stitcher.

edit: also, Redban discussing Stitcher with Bill Burr is pure brain torture.

Chris Hardwick and Earwolf want all their stats to show up in one place. Stitcher "re-broadcasts" it and provide their own listen/download stats. They should use stitcher since it would save on bandwidth if a lot of their listeners used it. They would just have to combine the two stats to get the real number of downloads whenever they're looking into it.

I think the confusion is that Chris and everyone else expected the downloads to go directly to their servers so that they could see the numbers the same way. They probably misunderstood the part about stitcher pulling the audio from their regular podcast stream.

Transfatuation posted:

Just getting around to listening to the CBB Bumbershoot episodes. The last 15 minutes of the one with Cake Boss/Dom Dimelo/Doug Benson are worth the $10 alone, oh my goodness.

definitely worth it

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

ElCondemn posted:

I think the confusion is that Chris and everyone else expected the downloads to go directly to their servers so that they could see the numbers the same way.

I think Chris' problem and Scott's problem was that even if they could piece together Stitcher and iTunes download stats, the iTunes ranking algorithm (which they both place a lot of value on) only cares about iTunes downloads, so shifting the point at which the show is spread hurts their iTunes ranking. Not sure if that's valid, but such was my understanding.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SKULE123 posted:

I think Chris' problem and Scott's problem was that even if they could piece together Stitcher and iTunes download stats, the iTunes ranking algorithm (which they both place a lot of value on) only cares about iTunes downloads, so shifting the point at which the show is spread hurts their iTunes ranking. Not sure if that's valid, but such was my understanding.

Ah, that makese sense. I have noticed I have to get the feed info from itunes to put into my RSS reader for all the nerdist stuff, so I'm not contributing to their stats on iTunes.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Mr. Squishy posted:

Because your first episode after getting sponsorship was all about cum, and jars full of cum.

But the conundrum is "Do I not have sponsorship because of the content." Or "Did I offend someone in the cum community who is powerful in business..."

I may never know... Honestly I never followed up with Adam & Eve. They were trying to push me towards a Revshare deal instead of backbreaking $50 a month. I don't know if anyone used the code I was pimping but I'm sure that @ 6% revshare it wasn't going to be $50 a months worth of cockring sales. Also I did something about magic soon after that deal and one of my contacts there emailed me to tell me she was Wicca.

I could also go back and do it on my own. Same with Audible or Fleshlight... whatelse... some kind of megadik boner pills?

widunder
May 2, 2002
I think the general legal point that Burr made is correct. There's a difference between financial rights and legal rights to an artistic work. Just because you give it out for free does not grant anyone to make money off it.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Hey Always sunny fans the new WTF has charlie day and glenn howerton, good stuff.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Joe Rogan, no one cares about JFK assassination theories anymore. Please stop.

Just stop :tinfoil:

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Let me tell you about how pot is illegal because of newspapers

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...

Transfatuation posted:

Hey where do you get these from?I checked under CBB on itunes and nothing. Is it under another name? And how long is it for $10?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Catching up on Jim and Eddie as of recently, goddamn they are so funny. I know I've pooh poohed Eddie before for being too mean, but he seems to be doing a better job of hosting while Jim brings the funny. Ever since this subplot with Jason thinking he's a bigshot at some sort of multi-level marketing hair coloring boutique or some poo poo has gotten more focus, they have been on loving fire. Jason is definitely going to murder them at this rate

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Mr. Kennedy posted:

Hey where do you get these from?I checked under CBB on itunes and nothing. Is it under another name? And how long is it for $10?

The Earwolf store, and it's three hours apparently.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
yooooooou are eeeeentering a trraaaaaansch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FiVVZocCFE

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rogan and Duncan Trussell (I may be developing a man-crush on this guy) riffing on that loving country song by the Stained guy was probably the funniest thing I've ever heard in months. I couldn't get anything done at work for a few minutes after the end of that.

It's about 1 hour 13min in vimeo

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

AltronHGX posted:

Rogan and Duncan Trussell (I may be developing a man-crush on this guy) riffing on that loving country song by the Stained guy was probably the funniest thing I've ever heard in months. I couldn't get anything done at work for a few minutes after the end of that.

I usually don't like Joe Rogan's podcast for his rambling pseudoscience, but that bit was excellent. I want him to do Who Charted now.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

AltronHGX posted:

Yeah, the more Duncan the better.

I'm going to give the Lavender Hour another shot pretty soon.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Hi!

Which are the best Who Charted episodes?

Thank you!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

jyrka posted:

Hi!

Thank you!

I liked Zach Galifianakis' episode a lot. The Tom Lennon ep and both of the PFT ones are pretty good. It's a pretty good show overall, but those are the ones I'd call the best right this minute.

e: I'm not a huge Brian Posehn fan, but I recall enjoing his episode.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

jyrka posted:

Hi!

Thank you!

The latest one with Andy Kindler was hilarious.

Today's Jay and Silent Bob Get Old had a full 10 minutes of commercials out front. I think that is a bit insane.
I enjoy listening to Jay talk about his crazy drug stories, but how on earth does Kevin Smith still have fans when he is on 20 podcasts, and tours telling the same horrible stories and being super unfunny.
I guess there is no limit to the amount of 'POT IS THE BEST' and 'fat person sex with wife' talk that someone can do.

Brekelefuw fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 16, 2011

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think the point when you realize Kevin Smith isn't funny is when you truly become a man.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

jyrka posted:

Hi!

Thank you!

Besides the ones already mentioned, the Scott Aukerman and Harris Wittels eps are pretty good also.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sorry, the correct answer is the second time Brody Stevens was on Who Charted. FIVE HOUR ENERGY! YES! DO IT!

(his first appearance is also great)

Joementum fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 16, 2011

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
What's up with Brody Stevens as of late anyway? He had that huge breakdown that some thought was a bit at first but really wasn't. He's not doing comedy anymore ever since being in the psych ward? No podcasts, nothing?

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

I knew that listening to the Plugz portion of CBB would pay off one day. Got 2 Paul F Tompkins tickets for Oct 7. He's doing his DVD special out in Glendale.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Peter North posted:

What's up with Brody Stevens as of late anyway? He had that huge breakdown that some thought was a bit at first but really wasn't. He's not doing comedy anymore ever since being in the psych ward? No podcasts, nothing?
I don't mean to kick a guy when he's down, but I wouldn't mind if he stopped visiting the podcasts I listen to. I never quite "got" Brody.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

cioxx posted:

I knew that listening to the Plugz portion of CBB would pay off one day. Got 2 Paul F Tompkins tickets for Oct 7. He's doing his DVD special out in Glendale.

I wish Paul F. Tompkins would come to my town.:(

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

AltronHGX posted:

What the gently caress is with Redban trying to change the subject to Mr Hands during this? The guy loving lacks all social skills.

Joe: Brian, skip ahead like a minute, we gotta hear this part at the end...
Redban: Hey did you ever see the Mrs Hands video? It's even worse than Mr Hands.

He does that all the time, whenever Joe talks to Brian directly, he completely ignores what Joe says and just uses it as an opportunity to talk about whatever he was thinking about instead of actually participating and listening to the conversation.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

SpacePig posted:

Hell, I'd be happy if he came to my state. Iowa deserves a little Paul F. Tompkins, too.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

SpacePig posted:

Mogambo posted:

Hell, I'd be happy if he came to my state. Iowa deserves a little Paul F. Tompkins, too.

Well you can always add your vote to the Iowa Chapter of the Tompkins 300.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

plastered quack posted:

Well you can always add your vote to the Iowa Chapter of the Tompkins 300.

Fuuuccck. Apparently he was at The Improv in Philly last month! I never realized I was so dependant on PFT Comes to Your Town!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

SpacePig posted:

Fuuuccck. Apparently he was at The Improv in Philly last month! I never realized I was so dependant on PFT Comes to Your Town!
It's posts like this which make me wonder why people don't think the What's Up Hot Dog Memorial Plugs section is the best part of CBB.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Coco13 posted:

It's posts like this which make me wonder why people don't think the What's Up Hot Dog Memorial Plugs section is the best part of CBB.

He probably plugged it on there, too, but I only picked up CBB about a week or 2 ago.:(

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3434323&pagenumber=1#post395502751

Looks like there's gonna be a podcast forum fairly soon! It will be great to break up this thread a little. I've already prepared a UYD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Just wanted to talk about some of the stuff I've been listening to lately!

Joe Rogan Experience is probably my favorite podcast, of course I am an MMA fighter and may or may not have an interest in psyhotropic substances, so its right in my wheelhouse. Redban is a manchild and the podcast can get a little lengthy, but I really appreciate Joe's perspective on many things. I think people give him poo poo for being sloppy with facts, but as someone mentioned a while ago, he will readily admit when he's proven wrong and always seems like he wants to learn. I really dug the Anthony Bourdain episode and Duncan is always a fun guest.

I started listening to Uh Yeah, Dude a while back because of this thread and I've worked my way up to 2009 in the old episodes, though I always catch the latest ones. Jonathan and Seth have some of the best chemistry of any podcast hosts...I'm amazed that they continue to put on solid shows with just the two of them shooting the poo poo. The thing I love most about this one is probably how its so hard to tell when they are playing it straight or not. The show itself often ends up providing a strange (but hilarious) commentary on American pop culture.

My Brother, My Brother and Me is one I picked up recently (also because of this thread) that I thoroughly enjoy. These guys are also great at walking the line between playing it straight and being totally out there. The bros play off each other well and you can never go wrong reading crazy poo poo from the internet.

Which brings me to...Lou Reads the Internet! Solid addition to the lineup...such a simple concept, but it is definitely addicting. Not sure if its Lou's dulcet tones or his always amusing reactions when poo poo inevitably hits that next level of bizarre depravity, but this podcast never fails to amuse me.

Just added Professor Blastoff the other day and I dig it so far. I really liked the Sarah Silverman one, and the Amy Alkon episode was good too although Amy herself kind of creeped me out with most of her views and methods on "correcting" people. Also I think I have a crush on Tig.

Stuff that I am kind of lukewarm on:
Comedy Bang Bangsometimes its really funny, sometimes not. Last one I listened to was the Harris Wittels, Adam Scott, Chelsea Pereti one and I thought it was awful...though it seemed a lot of yall liked it...guess I had trouble appreciating the "improv" in that one.
Doug Loves Movies I like Doug and many of the guests he has on, but I think the Leonard Martin game is lame...so yeah.
Adam Carolla was the first podcast I started listening to, but as people know he does tend to pull the same schtick a lot, so I haven't listened in a while. Prime example of better production not necessarily meaning better product.
The Complete Guide to Everything I still listen to it pretty frequently but the guys can get kind of annoying sometimes. Tom is kind of dopey and Tim seems like he has a bit of short-man syndrome...though I have no idea if he actually fits that description physically haha. Anyways, I feel for some reason like it would be a better show if they were down with weed.

• Locked thread