Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

What IS the loving deal with will-o-the-wisps anyway? How the gently caress do you beat those things?

Kite the thing around while firing silver/daedric arrows at it? If it's in an Ayleid ruin, you should be able to jump around on broken pillars and poo poo to stay out of its range. They had trouble with water when I played, so putting some in between you and it is always a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pierzak posted:

Regarding the DXHR commentary, is there any way I could've saved the hostages killed by poison gas in the factory? It was over by the time I arrived and seems impossible. No spoilers please, a simple yes/no will suffice.

Yes.

If you end up needing a little hint, there's more than one way into that room.

And will-o-the-wisps made me ragequit a game for the first time since I was a pre-teen. Ugh, gently caress those things.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

BiggerBoat posted:

What IS the loving deal with will-o-the-wisps anyway? How the gently caress do you beat those things?

Get your hand-to-hand skill up and punch them. Punch the poo poo out of those immaterial spirits :colbert:.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, yes it is. Especially around level 10 or so. I still loved the game but it became obvious relatively quickly that I had gotten in over my head with the wrong character build the second that roving bandits near the starting city started kicking my rear end and there minotaurs roaming the countryside and will-o-the-wisp in every tomb I went in.

I think you missed one crucial word in his statement. Also I always just used magic on those things.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yes.

If you end up needing a little hint, there's more than one way into that room.
I know this. But when I arrived at the plant the SWATs told me the hostages were already gassed. I assume I must've waited too long to start the mission.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pierzak posted:

I know this. But when I arrived at the plant the SWATs told me the hostages were already gassed. I assume I must've waited too long to start the mission.

Huh. Never had that happen. Sorry, can't help you, mang. :smith:

Universe Master posted:

Get your hand-to-hand skill up and punch them. Punch the poo poo out of those immaterial spirits :colbert:.

I'm honestly considering starting a new game up just to do this. I'll finally have my vengeance against those stat-damaging cocksuckers!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pierzak posted:

Well, I assume you are correct as well, since I booked over to the helipad when I got the mission, and the hostages were fine when I got there

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Well, I assume you are correct as well, since I booked over to the helipad when I got the mission, and the hostages were fine when I got there

I on the other hand tend to explore everything, conditioned by generations of RPGs that plot can wait until I get to it. Serves me right.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I've had that situation turn out a few different ways so far. First time I hosed around at the office for a long time, they were DOA. Second time I left the office quick then waltzed into the room like an idiot as they shouted at me not to, luckily I was able to use the keypad in time and save the day. Third time I just went in the duct, easy as could be.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

HE:HR stuff:

Take too long in Sarif and they are dead.
You can sneak around dudes and disable the bomb and stuff.
You can also just walk into the room, have the bomb trigger and then just shoot the fuel tanks. This disables the bomb

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Astfgl posted:

The only things you'll really find yourself wanting mods for is the functionality offered by New Vegas. Things like jury rigging, weapon mods, more craftable items, faction armor, etc. The game still runs fine on a console (I just finished an umpteenth playthrough a month or two ago) but you will quickly become frustrated by how much LESS (comparatively) you can do.
Alright thanks, I think I'm just gonna pick up the 360 goty version. I'll miss some of that stuff but mainly I'm interested in the story/lore because I'm all into the Fallout universe right now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
DXHR stuff:
Turns out I did gently caress around in the corp HQ too long. Now I just went in there and turned the bomb off. I assume there's some invisible tripwire or something, if the bomb triggers as I enter the room.

And I hope there's no separate stealth pistol like in DX1; I'm putting all my mods into the 10mm one and wouldn't want to learn that there's an equivalent-but-better weapon. Also, is the sniper rifle (non-silenced, from the gas station sniper) any good?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Bunleigh posted:

Alright thanks, I think I'm just gonna pick up the 360 goty version. I'll miss some of that stuff but mainly I'm interested in the story/lore because I'm all into the Fallout universe right now.

Here are two tips I wish someone had told me:

Avoid the metro system and stay out of downtown until you're level 10-15. The game's more rewarding when you're questing through the wastes and less so when you're slogging through your fortieth subway tunnel that looks exactly the same as the last 39.

Don't: talk to Dr. Li in Rivet City (OR steal then listen to the holotapes in her bedroom or go downstairs in Smith Casey's Garage. You won't break the game if you do, but you'll seriously unhinge the main questline by doing either of those two things before you are supposed to.

The only other word of advice I have is: Do not assume that skills work the same way as they did in New Vegas. The biggest example is Melee/Unarmed. In New Vegas you can slaughter people even with a relatively low level in those skills. In Fallout 3, both skills are fairly worthless for most of the game unless you get the Deathclaw Gauntlet. There are (compared to New Vegas) a disappointingly small number of dialogue checks using Medicine, Barter or Science. Really, the easiest thing to say is that although Fallout 3 is still like New Vegas in that most skillsets are totally viable, Fallout 3 gives clear priority to a Speech/Small Guns/Repair build, and a lot of the other skills tend to get short shrift as a result.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bunleigh posted:

I just finished New Vegas and now I want to go back and play Fallout 3 (which I never got around to playing when it was new). I guess the question is, is the console version serviceable or do you need a bunch of mods to fix up the game like Oblivion? I'd rather play on my 360 but not if I'm missing out on a bunch by not having mods.

Tips for going from New Vegas to FO3:
  • Armor reduces a percentage of damage, instead of an amount per shot. Thus, overall DPS is what matters, not damage per shot.
  • Deathclaws aren't as powerful. There's one weapon in particular that makes killing them effortless. (rhymes with 'fart bun').
  • Barter skill is useless. The game practically throws caps at you, and there isn't too much to buy.
  • You get a perk every level, so go ahead and take 'just for fun' perks like Lady Killer or Lawbringer.
  • There are no faction reputations, and no one cares what armor your wearing. If everyone in a location is trying to kill you, come back after three days and they'll forget.
  • There are no temp skill books. However, permanent skill books are much more common.
  • If you get the DLC, don't do go to Point Lookout until you have power armor and a high DPS weapon, like a gatling laser. Bring lots of ammo.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Gynovore posted:

• If you get the DLC, don't do go to Point Lookout until you have power armor and a high DPS weapon, like a gatling laser. Bring lots of ammo.

Along those lines, avoid Mothership Zeta like the plague. The only reason to play that thing is for the achievements, and even then it's a tedious slog. The characters (are there really any characters beyond the Samurai that anyone even cares about?) are wooden and one-note, the setting is beyond repetitive, the game play is a chore and the rewards are...I can't even remember what the rewards are, which is a bad sign. Don't play it if you like having fun!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

And I hope there's no separate stealth pistol like in DX1; I'm putting all my mods into the 10mm one and wouldn't want to learn that there's an equivalent-but-better weapon. Also, is the sniper rifle (non-silenced, from the gas station sniper) any good?

There is no equivalent-but-better, the game doesn't really penalize you for upgrading a weapon early, if you know what you want to use a lot, you can upgrade that weapon safely as soon as you get it. I guess heavy weapons is different as you get the heavy rifle first, then the laser later and finally the plasma. Stuff like the combat rifle, shotgun and pistol is safe though.

And no idea about the sniper, I've sold it each time, I've done lethal and non-lethal runs so far, I'll save the sniper for my excessively lethal "solve every problem with violence" run.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Any tips for Gothic II without spoiling anything? I know this game is pretty old but I did recently get to play through Risen and I rather enjoyed it. I'm only about 15 or 20 minutes in.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Astfgl posted:

Along those lines, avoid Mothership Zeta like the plague. The only reason to play that thing is for the achievements, and even then it's a tedious slog. The characters (are there really any characters beyond the Samurai that anyone even cares about?) are wooden and one-note, the setting is beyond repetitive, the game play is a chore and the rewards are...I can't even remember what the rewards are, which is a bad sign. Don't play it if you like having fun!

The reward is a fuckton of strong energy weapons, plus Alien Epoxy, which repairs any weapon. The rewards are almost worth plowing through it... almost. If OP wasn't on console, I'd suggest getting the mod which gives you the rewards without going there.

On the subject of mods, I'm going to say that unmodded FO3 (and NV) are both very enjoyable and worth your time. Still, if you really really enjoy it, consider getting the PC version to try out the bajillion nods available. Head to The Fallout Nexus and look around.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The.GreyWolf posted:

Any tips for Gothic II without spoiling anything? I know this game is pretty old but I did recently get to play through Risen and I rather enjoyed it. I'm only about 15 or 20 minutes in.

Here's something http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=214#post391545850

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Gynovore posted:

The reward is a fuckton of strong energy weapons, plus Alien Epoxy, which repairs any weapon. The rewards are almost worth plowing through it... almost. If OP wasn't on console, I'd suggest getting the mod which gives you the rewards without going there.

Even with how good the Drone Cannon Mk2 is, the rewards aren't worth it. It's a lovely corridor shooter that goes on for way too long.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up Cities in Motion. I'm good enough to barely keep in the black with an occasional loan or period of waiting, but without loans I never hit the 5 digits in the campaign after initial setup. Is there a good guide as to how to design routes efficiently? Not a walkthrough of the campaign, but just something to show me the basics of route design to get me to the point that I can keep afloat on my own. The tutorial just shows how to place routes and that's it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Thanks!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Astfgl posted:

The reward items were kind of nifty. They had loads of what is now the weapons repair kit in new vegas. I can't remember what it was called but it healed your guns which if I hadn't played it last would have offset my "carry damaged versions of each gun I use so I can always keep my main to 100%" loot management neurosis. And the energy weapons did insane damage so there was that too. Though if I recall correctly some of them were actually classified as small guns.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Pierzak posted:

You took too long to start that mission. This is the only time sensitive mission in the game. Just go immediately at the start, and when you come back from there, break into everyone's office at Sarif. Not that there's anything different, you're just going to do it anyways.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Borderlands? The wiki seems mostly to be about the DLC missions and multiplayer, I've started a solo Mordecai.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

gohuskies posted:

I've started a solo Mordecai.
Don't believe the sniper rifle propaganda, get a proper marskman rifle (assault rifle + 2-3 round bursts + zoom). Served me well. Also if/when you find a corrosive weapon, keep it unless all the other stats royally suck.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

gohuskies posted:

Borderlands? The wiki seems mostly to be about the DLC missions and multiplayer, I've started a solo Mordecai.

Some things off the top of my head:

- Pick, at most, two or three weapon types initially and try to stick with those (i.e. sniper rifles and revolvers, or sniper rifles and SMGs, but don't use all types of weapons all the time). You'll level up your weapon proficiency by using a type of weapon often, and this in turn will give you a bonus to reload speed, fire rate, etc., and it's better to have just two or three types of weapons leveled up very high by the end of the game than to have low levels in all weapon types.

- This also applies to skill trees -- obviously you'll want to build them around the types of weapons you want to use (I think Mordecai has some skills and weapon mods that cater to using pistols / revolvers so they're a good choice for your secondary gun). Don't worry about skill trees too much though as you can re-spec them (albeit at (low) cost).

- Rocket launchers are basically useless.

- Don't forget that you have grenades. You'll find replacements all the time and they're pretty useful. Along those lines, the Transfusion grenade mod can be a kind of a panic button; They'll add the damage you deal to enemies to your health so they're useful to throw at an enemy if you're about to die.

- Elemental weapons deal less damage on enemies that have the same kind of elemental thingy going (i.e. fire weapons will deal less damage on Fire Skags), so arm yourself accordingly.

- Weapon crates will re-fill upon loading a saved game, so you can be cheap and restart the game a couple of times and keep looting the same crates over and over. New Haven in particular is a pretty good place to do that because it has tons of crates in a relatively small area. Even if you're not deliberately reloading, it's worth doing a single crate-run whenever you fire up the game and continue to play.

- Check the gun stores frequently. You'll get a message when they re-stock and they sometimes carry very good guns.

- There are different types of shields, and you should always use the one with the highest capacity. In addition to that, you should always carry a healing shield to switch out between battles so you can get healed up. In fact if you have a healing shield that just has a marginally lower capacity than any other one you can find, just use that all the time to save you the hassle of switching.

Pierzak posted:

Don't believe the sniper rifle propaganda, get a proper marskman rifle (assault rifle + 2-3 round bursts + zoom). Served me well. Also if/when you find a corrosive weapon, keep it unless all the other stats royally suck.

While I agree that the low capacity burst assault rifles are probably more versatile and useful than sniper rifles, I wouldn't recommend using them (at least not as a primary weapon or over sniper rifles) with Mordecai, if only because his skill trees and class mods aren't really focused around using them.
If you want to use assault rifles, start over with Roland.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 18, 2011

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, the number one mistake I made at the beginning of Borderlands was trying to focus on one weapon type. All the weapons are pretty good in a bunch of different situations and as a solo player especially you'll want a variety. When you get a new kind of weapon, fire it off a few times just to see if you like the feel or it adds something new to your arsenal. That said, it can be good to have a "main" kind of weapon that you default to since you level up your skill with weapon types by using them, but don't worry about that over successfully killing things.

Also pay attention to quest level because it's easy to unthinkingly run into a mission 3 levels over you and have a very difficult time at the beginning. Good if you want a challenge but it can be disconcerting if you're killing everything without many problems and then you run into one roadblock that just utterly destroys you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've found that Rocket Launchers are good in certain circumstances:

1) If you're playing Multi, they are amazing with Roland's Cauterize skill
2) The ones that are Damage X3 (not burst) Helix are pretty decent since they fire three rockets at once for 1 shot.
3) "Beware the Horde" is the closest thing this game has to a flak weapon. It absolutely MURDERS flying enemies and large bosses.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

gohuskies posted:

Borderlands? I've started a solo Mordecai.

For Mordecai, the bird doesn't do a whole lot of damage until you get the skill that lets it hit multiple targets at once, which unfortunately is at the bottom of the bird tier. Another bottom tier skill that is awesome is Trespass, which lets you shoot through enemy shields. It's 100% shield bypass at level 5, which turns a lot of really difficult enemies into jokes.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Borderlands:
- Rocket launcers are indeed utter poo poo. So are alien weapons.
- To defeat Mad Mel (an annoying boss fairly early in the game), get in a MACHINE GUN buggy. Press Space to lock on to him, then drive around while holding the trigger.
- Check weapon shops every time they reset. Pay extra attention to the daily special, it has a higher chance of being something good.
- Furthermore, (I'm not sure if they patched that) the weapons in the store are ordered in the other of rarity with the rarest ones first. Sometimes you may see a blank white weapon on top of the list above blues and purples and whatnot - that would be a so called "pearlescent" weapon which is actually the rarest type of all, but the color of which is bugged, so it just shows white.
- Elemental weapons classes work differently. Most weapons have only a chance of proccing an elemental effect. Shotguns (and rocket launchers, which are still poo poo) proc every time. An accurate (Hunter's) elemental shotgun can be really strong, particularly an acid one.
- The game is pretty easy, so in order to get more challenge (and better loot) you can start several instances of the game, alt-TAB between them, turn down the sounds on all except the main one, and have the different characters join a LAN game. Then just keep playing one character while the rest just hang around at map entrances. They will automatically come with you every time you change maps, so all in all it's pretty painless.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pigdog posted:

Borderlands:
Press Space to lock on to him, then drive around while holding the trigger.

Well this is the first I'm hearing about this handy lock on feature.

On the topic of guns, it's kind of pointless to recommend certain types. It's based a lot off what you find. For example, I used a revolver as Lilith for pretty much the entire last half of the game. Every SMG I found was poo poo, which I guess is supposed to be her gun of choice.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
More Borderlands crap:

1. Respecializing is dirt cheap. Do it on a whim or when you get new equipment.
2. Death is less cheap, but is still really just a mild inconvenience. So feel free to try stupid stuff. You can just Zerg some of the more annoying encounters like Mad Mel.
3. Try to have a long range weapon in your inventory at all times. Sometimes you just need to pick a guy off.
4. Don't be afraid to use weapons your class is not really suited for. They can still be upgrades if the numbers are good enough. I was rocking a revolver on my Siren for the longest time simply because I got a great one from a chest. It lasted me about ten levels. Also, don't worry about building weapon skill if you get a great weapon of a type you haven't really used. It will rise very quickly from fighting normally.
5. Most of the alien weapons are poo poo, but there are a few that can be useful in the right situations. They have a recharging energy bar rather then consumable ammo. Really though, the only one I would really consider useful is the shotgun one.
6. Rocket Launchers are indeed poo poo, including the rocket shotguns. They're just too slow and too weak to be any real use.
7. Level means a lot in this game. It modifies the damage you do and the damage you deal. If you're under leveled, things will be much more difficult. You'll probably notice this if you try to fight Bonehead the first time you can. If you are having a hard time, try doing some sidequests for a bit to gain a few levels.
8. Shock weapons do extra damage to shields and mechanical enemies, but less damage against fleshy enemies without their shields. So it's good to have one, but not to have only shock weapons. Similarly fire does additional damage to most fleshy enemies.
9. This game is a lot of fun with friends. Not so much with random pubbies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh, and do yourself a favor and read a config FAQ. Skipping cutscenes (I'm looking at you, I-wanna-see-the-bus-every-time-I-test-a-class intro), mouse smoothing, the works. It's really easy to make it feel more like a PC game than a console shooter.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Steam's Daily Deal today was Mirror's Edge. Anything I should know? I've heard that combat isn't exactly the point of the game so I shouldn't get too involved in that. Any other tips?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Space Cob posted:

Steam's Daily Deal today was Mirror's Edge. Anything I should know? I've heard that combat isn't exactly the point of the game so I shouldn't get too involved in that. Any other tips?

There are multiple ways to get through some places. Even if you have the red help on, you don't necessarily have to go that way.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Space Cob posted:

There is an achievement for not shooting anyone and the combat isn't that great, but sometimes the best option is to shoot some dudes and immediately drop the gun. It certainly makes parts of the game easier.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Taerkar posted:

I've found that Rocket Launchers are good in certain circumstances:

1) If you're playing Multi, they are amazing with Roland's Cauterize skill
2) The ones that are Damage X3 (not burst) Helix are pretty decent since they fire three rockets at once for 1 shot.
3) "Beware the Horde" is the closest thing this game has to a flak weapon. It absolutely MURDERS flying enemies and large bosses.

Doesn't hurt if you're a Berserker and start upgrading Wide Load and Master Blaster, either. Hell, you can find rocket launchers that regenerate ammo, and some of them are actually good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bbcisdabomb posted:

There is an achievement for not shooting anyone and the combat isn't that great, but sometimes the best option is to shoot some dudes and immediately drop the gun. It certainly makes parts of the game easier.

Only scrubs use guns :colbert:

Sometimes it's easier to just run away, but at two maybe three points in the game you HAVE to fight to continue, not counting bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Space Cob posted:

This is going to sound kind of stupid for first time advice but play through the game a second time. A lot of the difficulty in Mirror's Edge is figuring where you should be going while under fire. The second time through its a glorious free running game where you are much less lightly to get frustrated. Though maybe I'm saying that because I'm not great at platforming games.