Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogbroth
Nov 7, 2004
While I agree on the whole about the practicality of ASM experience on a CV, there will be a time when you'll need to debug optimised code, which is where that knowledge will shine.

It certainly shouldn't take priority over higher-level knowledge if you're doing a cull for CV space and it won't compensate for holes in understanding of C, but it is a complementary skill.

tl;dr: What Shalinor said, but don't take it out if your fundamentals are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Shalinor posted:

Nobody does ASM anymore, and while it's a cool talking point if you get an old-school programmer interviewing you, it won't get you in the door if there's lingering worry over how you do when not given a high-level engine / whether you can work at the API level.
I think it's actually a very good thing to have in the context of versatility. APIs change all the time and console dev in particular is practically impossible to get exposed to outside of an actual job doing it, so being able to pick stuff up and work within new APIs and limitations is probably THE most useful skill you can have as a programmer.

I got a number of interviews (and later jobs) by casting myself as a sort of innovator and researcher rather that hits the ground running, rather than somebody familiar with specific technologies.

Like as a totally self-congratulatory example, probably the main bullet point on my first resume was going from knowing nothing about video encoding to creating a video encoder for a proprietary format, outperforming the stock encoder after a few months of dev, and eventually having it become the basis of FFMPEG's encoder for that format. Nobody reading my resume cares about video encoders, but they do care about employees being able to quickly build expertise.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 16, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Abe posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while without introducing myself. The game I'm working recently came out of hiding, so I think I should do the same.

So, hello! I'm a technical level designer. I work for this company on this game. I wish every game engine was as easy to use as Unity. I can't think of anything else to say.

I'm contributing! :downs:

That's cool, which country/studio are you in?

And is MP3 in Unity, or was that a completely unconnected statement?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My iPad game now has a big fat banner on the App Store, wheeee!

That is all.

Edit: I wish people leaving reviews understood that there's no way for us to communicate with them just because they've written a review. Some guy says he gets no sound in the game (pretty crucial for a music game!) but instead of contacting us he posted a 1 star review and asked for a refund. I can't help you that way, guy! It never came up at any point in development or QA :(

Akuma fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 16, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Abe posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while without introducing myself. The game I'm working recently came out of hiding, so I think I should do the same.

So, hello! I'm a technical level designer. I work for this company on this game. I wish every game engine was as easy to use as Unity. I can't think of anything else to say.

I'm contributing! :downs:
Wait, Max Payne 3 is on Unity? Really? Pre-emptive "wow" just in case it is.

Anyhow, I applied there a little while back for a CM job.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
That's the way I read it too, but I'm pretty sure MP3 is on RAGE, but Abe was posting two unrelated things in the same paragraph. I mean, just look at the MP3 screen shots, they look like GTA4.

edit: Abe, which R* is making MP3?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

M4rk posted:

Wait, Max Payne 3 is on Unity? Really? Pre-emptive "wow" just in case it is.

Pretty sure he's referring to the fact Max Payne is not on Unity, and that based on his previous experience with Unity and his current one with RAGE (or whatever Max Payne is using), he wishes the tools were as smooth as Unity.

In other words, same as every technical artist coming from Unreal into (insert engine here).

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Oh, well, whatever. I'm going to keep putzin' around in Stencylworks.

I've spent hours over the last couple days laboriously extracting maps from Megaman Zero (the first one, on GBA) so I can use their tilesets in Stencylworks.

My progress on the first level so far, with two of three layers enabled (front/overlay art layer and middle/stage layer):

(I know there's VGMaps, but their levels aren't pixel-perfect, and I need/want pixel-perfect.)

Anyone know a good tool that can scan this image and eliminate duplicates?

I found a couple tileset-making programs, but they can't handle the size of this image. I'm probably just going to do it manually.

M4rk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2011

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm not in the gamging industry, I just find the thread interesting so I lurk so take my opinion for what it's worth but isn't the way you proposed to your wife a bit personal to be including in your portfolio? I don't know how I would feel about seeing that from a potential employee.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Wezlar posted:

I'm not in the gamging industry, I just find the thread interesting so I lurk so take my opinion for what it's worth but isn't the way you proposed to your wife a bit personal to be including in your portfolio? I don't know how I would feel about seeing that from a potential employee.
It got him a bunch of positive press, and it's a pretty cool story. True, it's personal, but it shows his devotion to the vidya and ability to stay grounded in RL at the same time, which is positive I guess.

Really depends on the recruiter who's looking at it, if it's a male or female, and whether they're having a good day or not.

EDIT: Why am I so dyslexic?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Chernabog posted:

Does anybody like GDM?
I usually just read one article or two and then nothing else but maybe that's just because I'm an artist and it seems to be more geared towards designers/programmers.
I can't complain though, because I got a free subscription at GDC.

Game Developer Magazine will never be 100% useful for anyone, because it tries to cover all the disciplines, but that's also sort of its saving grace, that it's at least a little useful for everyone. If nothing else, I read every postmortem at least a couple times, as I see the "What went wrong" section as a map of unintentional development screwups to conscientiously avoid.

Abe
Sep 8, 2006
Okay, that comment caused some confusion. No, MP3 is absolutely not in Unity. It was just a random factoid about myself.

BizarroAzrael posted:

That's cool, which country/studio are you in?

Vino posted:

edit: Abe, which R* is making MP3?

The "core" studio for the project is R* Vancouver, which is where I work. But R* distributes development for all of its games, so several other R* studios work on it as well.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Yeah my ex RTW co-worker friend is a junior tools engineer in Edinburgh and he's working on MP3.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

M4rk posted:

It got him a bunch of positive press, and it's a pretty cool story. True, it's personal, but it shows his devotion to the vidya and ability to stay grounded in RL at the same time, which is positive I guess.

Really depends on the recruiter who's looking at it, if it's a male or female, and whether they're having a good day or not.

EDIT: Why am I so dyslexic?

Honestly, it's pretty much been the focal point of every job interview I've ever had. They are either like, "Whoa, you are that guy!? Holy poo poo!" or they want to know how it was done, which launches a wonderful conversation about scripting, level design, and how I learn. Once I had it stop a structured interview and instead we just talked about the hack.

It's an opportunity to show that I'm passionate about what I do. I've been on both sides of the hiring table, and the people who have a passionate topic definitely have a leg up.

Also, maybe it's strange that I don't consider it that personal?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah my ex RTW co-worker friend is a junior tools engineer in Edinburgh and he's working on MP3.

Wanna work in Edinburgh; A job in my home town would be delish! But a man can dream :)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Apply then? They have a load of jobs going https://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/openings/rockstar-north

The MP3 trailer has it billed as a "Rockstar Studios" game, which is a first I think?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Fishbus posted:

Wanna work in Edinburgh; A job in my home town would be delish! But a man can dream :)

I'm telling Paul!

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I applied for a community manager position at a big name studio in Paris on a whim. I live in Texas and have never had a real industry job; mainly contract and mainly projects that never got funded or saw the light of day. On top of that my work experience is really varied for someone my age, lots of customer service in retail, some NOC engineering work, manufacturing for HP, freelance graphic design, working in radio and the music industry for a bit. So it really caught me off guard when the recruiter actually through I'd be fitting for the job and forwarded my resume for the position in Paris and a similar role in one of their German studios.

I have a few questions but I guess the most important ones are. How much more difficult is the interview process going to considering they're on the opposite side of the world? It seems obvious but it'd be nice if someone that's relocated internationally could give me an idea of what the actual hiring process on through to relocating consists of.

Secondly, in case I don't get either position. What are some ways to bolster my resume for jobs like these? Like I said I'm mainly an artist, although I learned a long time ago I'll never be able to break in to the industry on my concept work alone. You can't really build a portfolio for being a community manager can you? I've got some experience as a forum mod inside a "gaming community", and I was a GM for many years on private Ultima Online servers. However, I'm not sure how to display those achievements in a resume or to the recruiter properly since there's no way to really verify the information.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Without wanting to sound mean spirited, just because an external recruiter has forwarded your CV on doesn't mean much - in my experience it's a rare recruiter who doesn't just fling any and every CV at a position in the hope that one of them hits the mark.

It's going to cost the company a lot to relocate you, and they will be keeping that in mind when comparing you against candidates that live in Paris. Or they might just offer you a flat relocation fee which won't cover all your costs.

You might get a phone interview, I would imagine it will be pretty long and involved because they'll want to be 99% sure they want to hire you before they pay to fly you over for a face to face.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Necron Vs. World posted:

I applied for a community manager position at a big name studio in Paris on a whim. I live in Texas and have never had a real industry job; mainly contract and mainly projects that never got funded or saw the light of day. On top of that my work experience is really varied for someone my age, lots of customer service in retail, some NOC engineering work, manufacturing for HP, freelance graphic design, working in radio and the music industry for a bit. So it really caught me off guard when the recruiter actually through I'd be fitting for the job and forwarded my resume for the position in Paris and a similar role in one of their German studios.

I have a few questions but I guess the most important ones are. How much more difficult is the interview process going to considering they're on the opposite side of the world? It seems obvious but it'd be nice if someone that's relocated internationally could give me an idea of what the actual hiring process on through to relocating consists of.

Secondly, in case I don't get either position. What are some ways to bolster my resume for jobs like these? Like I said I'm mainly an artist, although I learned a long time ago I'll never be able to break in to the industry on my concept work alone. You can't really build a portfolio for being a community manager can you? I've got some experience as a forum mod inside a "gaming community", and I was a GM for many years on private Ultima Online servers. However, I'm not sure how to display those achievements in a resume or to the recruiter properly since there's no way to really verify the information.

Is it Ubi? They've been trying to fill that position for months and I myself have had 5 recruit firms phone me offering me that position. Good luck.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Is it Ubi? They've been trying to fill that position for months and I myself have had 5 recruit firms phone me offering me that position. Good luck.

It is actually! And thanks. Although it already sounds like I shouldn't really be holding my breath.

FreakyZoid posted:

Without wanting to sound mean spirited, just because an external recruiter has forwarded your CV on doesn't mean much - in my experience it's a rare recruiter who doesn't just fling any and every CV at a position in the hope that one of them hits the mark.

It's going to cost the company a lot to relocate you, and they will be keeping that in mind when comparing you against candidates that live in Paris. Or they might just offer you a flat relocation fee which won't cover all your costs.

You might get a phone interview, I would imagine it will be pretty long and involved because they'll want to be 99% sure they want to hire you before they pay to fly you over for a face to face.

See, I figured that to a degree. It's been a few years since I tried breaking in on the art side and American recruiters would never bat an eyelash at me. So any kind of positive response was enough to get me excited. But your feed back is appreciated. I'm sure there are more qualified candidates in Paris and Germany like you said. I'll try to keep my feet planted on the ground if I get a phone interview.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

FreakyZoid posted:

Apply then? They have a load of jobs going https://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/openings/rockstar-north

Yeah, no lev dev positions though :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Necron Vs. World posted:

It is actually! And thanks. Although it already sounds like I shouldn't really be holding my breath.

See, I figured that to a degree. It's been a few years since I tried breaking in on the art side and American recruiters would never bat an eyelash at me. So any kind of positive response was enough to get me excited. But your feed back is appreciated. I'm sure there are more qualified candidates in Paris and Germany like you said. I'll try to keep my feet planted on the ground if I get a phone interview.

If you want to hit me up on Twitter I have a few more jobs I've had to turn down recently that might be right for you.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

Shalinor posted:

XNA/HLSL is fine. Not necessarily ideal, but absolutely better than anything you have there. Forgive me, I'm a crotchety old graphics programmer - really, XNA is fine, and is mostly low enough level to demonstrate competence with actual code. C/C++ would be ideal, but if you had XNA/HLSL on there, I probably wouldn't look askance at the lack of anything slightly lower-level.
If I wanted to make some 3D tech demo kind of stuff in C++ what would you recommend without working directly off of DirectX? OGRE? I think after my next game I will pretty much have 2D games / 2D editor tools down 100% but I have not made anything in 3D.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

r2x posted:

If I wanted to make some 3D tech demo kind of stuff in C++ what would you recommend without working directly off of DirectX? OGRE? I think after my next game I will pretty much have 2D games / 2D editor tools down 100% but I have not made anything in 3D.

OGRE is excellent and has better support and community than quite a few commercial engines.

But, well, it's only a graphical engine, which is both its strong point and its shortcoming. You still have to handle all the rest.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Question for you guys. During the interview, the guy said I'd hear back from them by saturday. It's 1pm saturday now, and I still haven't gotten an email or anything. Should I call today or monday to follow up? Or should I just figure they didn't choose to hire me?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question for you guys. During the interview, the guy said I'd hear back from them by saturday. It's 1pm saturday now, and I still haven't gotten an email or anything. Should I call today or monday to follow up? Or should I just figure they didn't choose to hire me?

Follow up on monday.

When I interviewed with Volition, they said they'd get back to me on a friday. Queue THE LONGEST FRIDAY EVER and they never get back to me. I spend the weekend freaking out and realize that I'll have to follow up on monday.

My dad suggests, half-jokingly, that I photoshop the Volition logo onto my arm and send that along. I dump all my nervous energy into it and it's pretty cathartic. I do, and my e-mail on monday morning is something like this:

Kelly,
Didn't hear from you on Friday. Hoping I didn't jump the gun on this.

Looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Michael.

<<picture of my arm with apparent red-edged fresh Volition logo tattoo>>

I got the job :smug:

Also the HR guy used that as my "welcome NEWGUY to Volition!" newsgroup post which garnered a bunch of questions about my fake tattoo.

Oh, and the reason they didn't get back to me initially? IT meltdown as someone brought a virus in from home and took down the network. Don't read anything into them not getting back to you immediately.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'm willing to bet they'rejust busy. Phone back Monday. Good luck.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks Sigma and Monster. I could really use this job :shobon:

Also yeah, it's been the LONGEST SATURDAY EVER, so far. Checkin' my email every 20 minutes to see if I got an email, getting hyped up when I see a new one, then deflating when it's just some sort of spam email.

Dammit google, I don't want emails about pen1s lengthening lightning super pills! :argh:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jan posted:

OGRE is excellent and has better support and community than quite a few commercial engines.

But, well, it's only a graphical engine, which is both its strong point and its shortcoming. You still have to handle all the rest.
Seconding OGRE. Unless you're bucking for a graphics programmer slot, there's no need to go lower-level than that. Really, even graphics programmers might be better off sticking at the engine level these days, and just fiddling with shaders through it, hmmm.

Anyways, yes, OGRE is great, and a few portfolio pieces with that shows solid lower-ish level experience. The fact that it doesn't have a game engine attached to it is, honestly, better. A demo using OGRE means the programmer actually had to think about object relationships, persistence, and lots of other meaty bits that are important but often brushed over when using a more complete engine.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If you want to hit me up on Twitter I have a few more jobs I've had to turn down recently that might be right for you.

I searched your post history and found one dead twitter. I was going to message you about it but those are disabled. Maybe this is some sort of test?

edit: Failed that test if it is.

old fat bird fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 17, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Seconding OGRE. Unless you're bucking for a graphics programmer slot, there's no need to go lower-level than that. Really, even graphics programmers might be better off sticking at the engine level these days, and just fiddling with shaders through it, hmmm.

No, graphics programmers should go at the lowest possible level always, offload the RSX using hand-coded RAW SPU jobs. SPURS is for scrubs. :smugdog:

Crytek. :shepface:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Necron Vs. World posted:

I searched your post history and found one dead twitter. I was going to message you about it but those are disabled. Maybe this is some sort of test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHy06FMsezI
(I honestly feel this way about interviews sometimes)

If I remember right he changed his twitter handle, if you're using the one that's like his Goon name (and also Charlie Higson's which I think is why he changed).

By the by, should I switch my Twitter handle to my real name or some derivative of it for professional purposes?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Necron Vs. World posted:

Sorry, I posted it a few pages back.

@NeilCastle

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHy06FMsezI
(I honestly feel this way about interviews sometimes)

If I remember right he changed his twitter handle, if you're using the one that's like his Goon name (and also Charlie Higson's which I think is why he changed).

By the by, should I switch my Twitter handle to my real name or some derivative of it for professional purposes?

Get your real name as your twitter asap. I've had friends in the industry who have really regretted not doing it.

Also what's this about Charlie Higson?

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 17, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sorry, I posted it a few pages back.

@NeilCastle

Get your real name as your twitter asap. I've had friends in the industry who have really regretted not doing it.

Also what's this about Charlie Higson?

He joined Twitter as "Mostroso" and you changed yours shortly after, just sort of joined those together.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Pfhreak posted:

Edit 2: As someone who is familiar with working with vertex/index buffers, matrix arithmetic, and somewhat familiar with HLSL, can you recommend a resource for learning the actual directX syntax?

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX by Frank D. Luna is pretty good, plus it comes with a bunch of downloadable code examples that follow the discussion in the text. If you go looking for it on Amazon just make sure you get the version that is tailored to the version of DX that you plan to use (9, 9c, 10).

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

Necron Vs. World posted:

I know Ubisoft Paris reasonably well - so

Ubisoft do one or two conference call interviews first - their HR department is pretty much fully bilingual (and more organised than most games HR setups) - if they like you they'll fly you over for the final interview but you'll possibly have to pay travel up front and claim it back from them. If you do get a position you will have a month of company sponsored hotel for you and any partner/children you have. During that time you'll have a company subsidised property agent to help you find somewhere, and their success rate is close to 100% within that month. In other words, not much difference to any other major company.

In general terms - moving wise, your biggest issue will be a visa if you are not an EU citizen somehow. I know people this has taken 6 months for and others who had to work as a 'consultant' while they waited for a visa which was delayed*. This does give more time to work with the property agent though :)

*Or in my case in Korea - be a tourist for a year and go on fully paid vacations overseas every three months to prove I was not some working type.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, Seattle-area game devs! Come to the Gears 3 launch party at the Microsoft Store in Bellevue Square and meet ME (among other folks). There'll also be tournaments and prizes and poo poo but most importantly you can say HELLO to ME. Kicks off tonight at 10!

Edit: also since Neil is going on and on about Twitter y'all should also follow me at @aaronlinde.

typhus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 19, 2011

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Hey guys, I need your help. I have been using a portfolio for sound art and music composition I made on Wordpress that also acts as a blog where I post recent works. I've been using it for just over a year now and have been including it with my CVs with a direct link to the portfolio section.

Recently I cut out a lot of the pieces in the portfolio section after seeing a lot of other composers with much smaller selections. My biggest issue is that I get a lot of "We'll keep you in mind" but no real feedback.

So I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong? Is the format bad? Are the pieces I chose in the wrong style? At this point I'm ready to rebuild so any suggestions will help.

e. grammar

Wax On fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well, it's monday, haven't gotten an email. Although it's only 10am. I'm considering waiting a few hours before I call. :shobon: