Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
I know nothing about Persona and I see there's a character named Kanji in those games so sorry if I just misunderstood, but if you were complaining about the annoying characters scrolling across those videos you can click the speech bubble at the bottom to turn those off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MadRhetoric posted:

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?p=1009077#1009077

gently caress kanji.

You would

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xlyfindel posted:

The only other health restore i can think of is Elena's SA3
A couple of games have vampire characters that suck life from their opponent when using certain moves?

But it's probably depend on how quick the move comes out. In most cases any situation where you'd have time to use Elena's heal is a situation you could instead use to go for a mixup or something, but if the move comes out real quick and heals a decent amount without charging, Yukiko could get some situational use out of it.

What would be really amazing is if the move came out quick enough that she could use it between hits in certain combos without actually dropping the combo, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endorph posted:

A couple of games have vampire characters that suck life from their opponent when using certain moves?
i.e. literally every D-button move with Ragna.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Does anyone know if DoA games make much money? I mean they have to, as they keep making that loving game.

Seriously I don't think anyone in the world actually plays that game, yet there's 5th one coming out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

washow posted:

Does anyone know if DoA games make much money? I mean they have to, as they keep making that loving game.

Seriously I don't think anyone in the world actually plays that game, yet there's 5th one coming out.
The world will always have 14-year-old boys with expendable income.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Xlyfindel posted:

The only other health restore i can think of is Elena's SA3, and players only use that to troll the poo poo out of people from what I understand.

Kensou's meat bun super in KoF98. I'm sure it's in other KoFs, but like hell I'm going to bother looking it up. Heidern has a life drain grab and super in the very same game, too.

Also, healing owns the poo poo out of Oro.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

SpaceBees posted:

Yes but where would professional gamers like "Swoozy" be without DOA? Truly we cannot bare to lose these incredibly important cyber athletes without forcing them to play games that aren't just glorified masturbatory aids!

I hate feeling like I'm white knighting DOA but perfect legend comes from DOA and he's relevant. More than Tom Brady. That doesn't make it a good (or bad) game though.

washow posted:

There are actually more than five - there's one on the 3DS, and then of course variants and re-releases. Evidently they make money.

The games have (major) flaws, but just like people who comment on ET being the worst game ever, I imagine at LEAST half the people talking about how bad they are actually never played the games more than an hour. That's just a pet peeve of mine, is all.

I always thought the series sucked though, but actually had fun with 4 when it came out (only fighter out) on 360, but I just played it a bunch vs my brother. Meh.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 16, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
She kicks high.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Yeah pretty much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jfzh2s3jlE

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Has anyone found a way to use the wireless mic with your USB fightstick on xbox?

Firzen
Sep 23, 2008

OrangeCrush posted:

Has anyone found a way to use the wireless mic with your USB fightstick on xbox?

It just...works? What seems to be the issue?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Pretty sure one of the ads for Xtreme Beach Volleyball had the tagline "Tissues not included."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Tits are pretty much just DoA's "thing" now, like gore in Mortal Kombat.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

And, like Mortal Kombat, it's pretty much only fun to play with a bunch of friends.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
MK9 is A Good Game

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/7/18/atp-podcast-mortal-kombat-special-feat-arturo-sanchez-and-li.html

LI Joe, Art, and Aris seem to disagree. They say its a good first effort but the more time they put in it, the more they realized the game was bad. This podcast is a good listen if you haven't heard it.

They aren't slamming the game the entire time at all, and they go into detail into what works and what doesn't.

edit- They also say that the game really hasn't been explored enough because the scene is so small, but part of it is how the game isn't easy to crack. That is, the training mode is rear end, there is "no frame data," etc.

There is also a great discussion about balance patching.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 17, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I will say this about MK though, I'm impressed as hell with how balanced it seems like it's turned out to be. I think there were something like 7-8 different characters used during Evo top 8 this year, and there are other characters even beyond that that seem like they would be tournament viable.

I mean poo poo, someone almost made it to top 8 with Jax.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
For a change of pace from AE I tried out CvS2 and holy poo poo are those some strict inputs. Made me think I had broken my stick or something, I couldn't even do a QCFx2 Super with any consistency. I haven't played any other fighters in recent years other than AE, SF3 and a bit of Marvel 2, so going from that to CvS2 is insane. I might keep at it just to up my execution.

Also the game is really fun. I don't feel like I'm crawling across the screen and I love the hell out of the Groove system, even if I don't really know how to use it well. I just love customization systems in all games, fighters included.

The moral here is please Capcom make whatever game is after SxT not play like molasses.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

40 OZ posted:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/7/18/atp-podcast-mortal-kombat-special-feat-arturo-sanchez-and-li.html

LI Joe, Art, and Aris seem to disagree. They say its a good first effort but the more time they put in it, the more they realized the game was bad. This podcast is a good listen if you haven't heard it.

They aren't slamming the game the entire time at all, and they go into detail into what works and what doesn't.

edit- They also say that the game really hasn't been explored enough because the scene is so small, but part of it is how the game isn't easy to crack. That is, the training mode is rear end, there is "no frame data," etc.

Arturo really likes MK now. He plays on the VSM MK stream every week and is a moderator on TestYourMight.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 17, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

40 OZ posted:

Aris is a loving whiner like a lot of MK people.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

There is frame data now at TYM. I haven't listened to that podcast since it was released, but didn't they say something like getting frame data was impossible?

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

40 OZ posted:

It doesn't help that you got bugs like Cyrax's mk3 outfit, Reptile's ball, Kenshi block glitch, and bugged Freddy running rampant for 4+ months while dlc guys like Rain and Freddy are stupid good with/without bugs. Ditto on the fact that most people who play mk9 online don't bother to download the bloody compatibility packs to have some kind of stable online match either (which stupifies me because they're free).

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A new minor revision of Chaos Code is in the works, to fix the bugs and make Celia II playable. Hopefully they tone down wiffing for meter and Exceed Mode combos a little bit too.

And if you haven't been keeping up, there's a bunch of new P4U footage and info floating around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNkns9FQqU
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-persona-4/721108

Fatal Counter is back. :/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gamest Mook posted:

Aris is a loving whiner like a lot of MK people.

Yeah that doesn't mean mk9 isn't a bad game though (it is)

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah that doesn't mean mk9 isn't a bad game though (it is)

The current generation of fighters are so bad that Pol actually thinks MK9 is good.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEm0bcnQKwU&t=903s

In my ongoing bid to generate some more hype for the upcoming PC release of MBAA, here's C-Arc smashing the gently caress out of C-Powered Ciel.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I know Kanji had really low speed in Persona 4 but he seriously looks slower than Tager.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think you need to go watch some low level CS play again because Kanji doesn't look anywhere near as slow as Tager. Kanji has some pretty slow and heavy moves but he also have a fair number of ones with decent speed, AND he can run. He's also not a huge hulking monstrosity which will help him a lot.

Another thing is that the game is just so much faster than BB in general, but he looks a fair bit slower than the other characters by comparison.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Oh, he has a dash? I somehow missed that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

He has a dash and a normal air dash as well yes. Also look at how fast his light normals look, they even have really long range as well.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

There is frame data now at TYM. I haven't listened to that podcast since it was released, but didn't they say something like getting frame data was impossible?

Netherrealm said "there is no frame data." :tinfoil:

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A new minor revision of Chaos Code is in the works, to fix the bugs and make Celia II playable. Hopefully they tone down wiffing for meter and Exceed Mode combos a little bit too.

Wait, Cerberus is named Cerberus Black? Is that supposed to be some sort of weird Harry Potter reference? :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Van Ishikawa posted:

The moral here is please Capcom make whatever game is after SxT not play like molasses.

New Darkstalkers game, probably.

Meaning that it's going to be even more heartbreaking when it plays like molasses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

New Darkstalkers game, probably.

Meaning that it's going to be even more heartbreaking when it plays like molasses.
At least there's Jedah! I mean, they'd have to actively try to make him slow or boring.

:japan:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Popehoist posted:

In my ongoing bid to generate some more hype for the upcoming PC release of MBAA, here's C-Arc smashing the gently caress out of C-Powered Ciel.

Round 1 of this game is actually my favorite of the three because it shows off how NEVER GIVE UP Melty can be, Arcueid is a magic pixel away from getting perfected by Powered Ciel in the corner and brings the round back to even because chip won't kill and the player's not afraid to gamble :3:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
If they make a new Darkstalkers on the SF4 engine I'll be really, really sad.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Brosnan posted:

If they make a new Darkstalkers on the SF4 engine I'll be really, really sad.

They probably wouldn't, just because it's a game made by Capcom doesn't mean it'll use the same engine and feel the same. MvC3 feels and looks totally different and it was also made by a different team.

That's not to say it'll necessarily be good or done right. Just... not SF4.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It'll be on the same engine as mvc3 so there's the chance it will at least be somewhat fast. That doesn't mean it's not gonna have a bunch of bullshit gimmicks and sloppy gameplay, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
New darkstalkers mechanic: Dark Force now automatically activates when your character drops below 25% health. Even more thrilling comebacks!

• Locked thread