Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

You are getting a shittier phone than your Evo have you not read the thread or even typed "epic 4G" into google

He probably meant Epic Touch 4G, since it comes out today and nobody in their right mind would use an upgrade to go from EVO to Epic.

Nuts and Gum posted:

What a bullshit fee, has anyone ever had this waived?

I haven't tried this so take it with a grain of salt but I'm willing to bet that if you complain nicely on Sprint's echat after you buy the phone, you can get it waived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Appachai posted:

The engadget review of the sgs2 is out and they basically say it's slightly thicker than the euro version but it's excellent, gave it a 9/10 rating.

The review sounds great and the phone looks pretty awesome. It is the first phone since the original EVO to spark my interest. That said I am curious to see what people are saying about the phone at the end of the year. I hope that the phone still rates it's 9/10 rating at that time.

I did feel a slight urge to get it and not wait for a new Nexus, but it was so so small a urge. Knowing my luck Sprint will not get the next Nexus until it's outdated (Nexus S anyone?).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He probably meant Epic Touch 4G, since it comes out today and nobody in their right mind would use an upgrade to go from EVO to Epic.

I haven't tried this so take it with a grain of salt but I'm willing to bet that if you complain nicely on Sprint's echat after you buy the phone, you can get it waived.

If he gets it in store, Sprint is really cracking down on having them waived in store. He would instead be directed back to the store. The reasoning there isn't customer base, but Sprint trying to quash sales people saying "oh just call online and they will waive it." So if you want fees potentially waived, I wouldn't expect it buying in store.

Exception there is possibly if you did a Reserve in Store, where you get online pricing at the store front (which is pretty awesome).

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I wouldn't even buy the Epic Touch 4G at $50. I like getting official software updates. Looking forward to hearing what early adopters think in a month or two :suspense:

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I'm glad I can't upgrade from my Epic 4G for awhile. Makes me wait a few months to see how the Epic touch turns out. Right now, if I were able, I'd probably jump on buying it if I wasn't going to end up paying a fee.

Though I have really liked my Epic 4G too, so that's cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the touch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheBlackMallard posted:

I wouldn't even buy the Epic Touch 4G at $50. I like getting official software updates. Looking forward to hearing what early adopters think in a month or two :suspense:

I like getting un-official software updates!

I really hope they are happy in a couple of months from now. If they are it is good for all of us.

MrMoose posted:

I'm glad I can't upgrade from my Epic 4G for awhile. Makes me wait a few months to see how the Epic touch turns out. Right now, if I were able, I'd probably jump on buying it if I wasn't going to end up paying a fee.

Though I have really liked my Epic 4G too, so that's cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the touch.

It could turn out good for you. At least you can wait to see what happens with the new Nexus running ICS. It could end up being the Epic Touch (love the phone design) + a HD screen + 1.5 dual core processor + Ice Cream Sandwich + being a Nexus phone which means first to get Jellybean.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2011

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I like getting un-official software updates!

I really hope they are happy in a couple of months from now. If they are it is good for all of us.

So do I, but I'm doubtful it will.

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

I'm due for an upgrade from my old Hero. It say's I get $150 towards an upgrade. I see the price of the new Epic 4G touch is $199 with signing a two year deal. Does that $150 come off the price of the phone then I get another discount when I sign for another 2 years?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lynchman posted:

I'm due for an upgrade from my old Hero. It say's I get $150 towards an upgrade. I see the price of the new Epic 4G touch is $199 with signing a two year deal. Does that $150 come off the price of the phone then I get another discount when I sign for another 2 years?

It goes toward the phone's full price, not the new customer price. Somebody on the last page said it came out to $217+$35 upgrade fee for them.

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

dphi posted:

It goes toward the phone's full price, not the new customer price. Somebody on the last page said it came out to $217+$35 upgrade fee for them.

I would think someone who is eligible for a discount would get a little better deal than someone who is just signing up for 2 years.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Lynchman posted:

I would think someone who is eligible for a discount would get a little better deal than someone who is just signing up for 2 years.

That's all you're doing, really, is signing another 2 year contract. That's the way it's always worked with all the subsidized carriers. Your discount means that you pay 2 year commitment price instead of something like $599 or whatever.

The problem, in my opinion, is that they don't really make this clear. The two year price is always the prominent one, and then they tell you that you get $150 off a new phone and that's not even accurate most of the time (usually you get more). So it's a little confusing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CapnBry posted:

My monthly bill will go from $59.99 to $69.99 due to the premium data addon. I am a bit concerned because it listed the $10 fee twice, but I guess I'll see how that works out.

Hmmm, $10 for a smartphone plus $10 for a 4G phone. I think you would have already had that first charge from having a Hero, right? Or was the Hero fee-exempt?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Hmmm, $10 for a smartphone plus $10 for a 4G phone. I think you would have already had that first charge from having a Hero, right? Or was the Hero fee-exempt?

If you got your Hero before Sprint changed that.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
In other news, CM7 for the Evo 3D finally has a release that doesn't break the battery meter. Probably going to be my daily driver now, since I don't really use and/or care about the remaining broken stuff and CM is so much loving faster than Sense.

Broken Stuff:
Bluetooth
WiMax
3D Pics/Videos

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow I am glad I at least skimmed the thread and saw all the Samsung hate. My wife and I have Palm Pres right now. My wife loves hers and I do like mine too, but it's been starting to randomly reboot or shut off. Also, it doesn't support streaming AAC codecs really well, so it has messed up me listening to a lot of shoutcast stuff.

I saw the HTC EVO Shift and initially thought the Samsung was slightly better on paper, but I assume the HTC tends to not poo poo its pants. Do I dare ask: can anybody contrast the user experience between that and the Epic (edit: assuming the Samsung Epic doesn't poo poo out)? It looks like you really can't compare everything on specs alone.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 16, 2011

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

If you got your Hero before Sprint changed that.
Oh snap so it is actually $10 for a smartphone and $10 for the 4G? Why don't they just throw in $10 for "Internet" as well? I'm not one who ever returns things but the combined additional cost of $733 ($20 x2 years + $217 phone + $36 fee) of having this phone over my current device and being locked in for 2 years is feeling like a kick in the balls.

Especially because I don't even currently stay on 3G at my house, and there is no 4G coverage according to the map.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow I am glad I at least skimmed the thread and saw all the Samsung hate. My wife and I have Palm Pres right now. My wife loves hers and I do like mine too, but it's been starting to randomly reboot or shut off. Also, it doesn't support streaming AAC codecs really well, so it has messed up me listening to a lot of shoutcast stuff.

I saw the HTC EVO Shift and initially thought the Samsung was slightly better on paper, but I assume the HTC tends to not poo poo its pants. Do I dare ask: can anybody contrast the user experience between that and the Epic (edit: assuming the Samsung Epic doesn't poo poo out)? It looks like you really can't compare everything on specs alone.

I'd really suggest you look into the Evo or Nexus S if you're set on not getting an Evo 3D. The Evo is a way better phone than the Shift and the Epic is just another turd from Samsung. You won't miss not having a keyboard.

Edit: If you're really really set on having a keyboard get the Shift over the Epic.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 16, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

Oh snap so it is actually $10 for a smartphone and $10 for the 4G? Why don't they just throw in $10 for "Internet" as well? I'm not one who ever returns things but the combined additional cost of $733 ($20 x2 years + $217 phone + $36 fee) of having this phone over my current device and being locked in for 2 years is feeling like a kick in the balls.

Especially because I don't even currently stay on 3G at my house, and there is no 4G coverage according to the map.

If you're on EPRP and not SERO, then there should just be the one $10 "premium data" fee on top of your base monthly rate when you activate a new smartphone, whether its 4G capable or not. There's a "smartphone" $10 fee and a separate "4G" $10 fee if you're on SERO and have some permutation of those features.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I have no idea why anyone would get an Evo or Evo 3D over a Photon right now, Motorola actually did everything right for once.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock posted:

I have no idea why anyone would get an Evo or Evo 3D over a Photon right now, Motorola actually did everything right for once.

Because the Evo 3D is an awesome phone and Sense 3 is really good? Plus the Evo 3D is completely unlockable.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

nate fisher posted:

It could turn out good for you. At least you can wait to see what happens with the new Nexus running ICS. It could end up being the Epic Touch (love the phone design) + a HD screen + 1.5 dual core processor + Ice Cream Sandwich + being a Nexus phone which means first to get Jellybean.

Very true. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I have to wait until May if I want another discount on my phone. Or maybe it is June. I'll have to look. Though I can buy a phone off eBay or such before then if I really want (after November to avoid fees).

Though I'm not sure I get the Samsung hate. Granted, I am running Syndicate Frozen on my Epic 4G as opposed to the base software, but I've not run into any issues with it. Phone has been pretty awesome to me, really. I've always had good luck with Samsung products, though. I'm really hoping the Nexus Prime ends up being as good as it is sounding like it will be.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 16, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Because the Evo 3D is an awesome phone and Sense 3 is really good? Plus the Evo 3D is completely unlockable.

The Photon is faster, has better reception, more on-board storage, and has a camera for the same price. Plus, with Google owning Motorola it'd be hard to ignore the likely better support over time.

I see no point in unlocking a CDMA/4G phone at this point, given that ROM support for 4G weaves in and out of workability all the time.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I have had it with my Epic 4G. Endlessly flashing, rooting, reflashing and the phone remains buggy as hell. 1 out of every 5 incoming phone calls locks my phone up and applications are always crashing. I just do not like this thing (too bulky anyway). The solution is to always "uninstall apps". What is the point of having a super fast phone if I cannot have anything installed on it?

I have another year left to upgrade, so I just picked up an Optimus S on ebay for pretty cheap. It is an underpowered phone, but all I want to be able to do at this point is receive phone calls and browse the web.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Matlock posted:

I see no point in unlocking a CDMA/4G phone at this point, given that ROM support for 4G weaves in and out of workability all the time.

Say what? The WiMax driver the CM7 team put together is better than the official HTC one.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

If you're on EPRP and not SERO, then there should just be the one $10 "premium data" fee on top of your base monthly rate when you activate a new smartphone, whether its 4G capable or not. There's a "smartphone" $10 fee and a separate "4G" $10 fee if you're on SERO and have some permutation of those features.
Oh, whew. Thanks for clearing that up!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

brc64 posted:

Say what? The WiMax driver the CM7 team put together is better than the official HTC one.

There have been issues with that driver as recently as August; including permissions issues, the signal strength icon going missing, and frequent dropoffs.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Matlock posted:

Some of us like to fully customize our phones. I would take that over 4G for right now.

If a phone isn't unlockable I'm not buying it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Matlock posted:

I haven't used the Evo 3D, but the Photon is a great phone. The build quality is something that gets overlooked but is solid and much better than other smartphones I've used for extended periods (last two phones were Pre and Evo).

Matlock posted:

The Photon is faster, has better reception, more on-board storage, and has a camera for the same price.

Not sure what you mean, but I'm not impressed with the Photon's camera. The camera key is nice to have, but the software kinda blows and the picture quality doesn't seem as good as the Evo 4G's camera.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock posted:

The Photon is faster, has better reception, more on-board storage, and has a camera for the same price. Plus, with Google owning Motorola it'd be hard to ignore the likely better support over time.

The Photon isn't "faster" and even the Evo 3D hasn't been pushed by anything yet. I've had 0 reception issues and the camera on the Evo 3D is pretty good. You may see no point in unlocking a Sprint phone but using a modified stock ROM I've gained battery life, a ton of nice little features and addons, the ability to use themes if I want and any and all root apps like Titanium Backup, free wifi tethering, etc. Oh yeah, and 4G still works just fine.

*edit* Just because Motorola Mobility is owned by Google doesn't guarantee better support, all of Google's big Android buddies are agreed to support their phones for at least 18 months and HTC has a much better track record overall on their high end devices.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 16, 2011

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Isn't the EVO 3D only $20 at wirefly?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I saw the HTC EVO Shift and initially thought the Samsung was slightly better on paper, but I assume the HTC tends to not poo poo its pants.
A few months ago I would've recommended a Shift over an Epic. But HTC botched the Shift's Gingerbread update and folks have been complaining about it ever since. It's only one data point, but someone on here (name escapes me, sorry) had both an Epic and an GB-updated Shift and preferred the Epic.

To be perfectly honest though, the more mainstream trends you buck, the shittier the phone you get. Want the most reliable phone out there? Get an iPhone. Prefer Android? Get a large, high-end touchscreen device like the Evo 3D or Photon. Want a hardware keyboard? You lose.

Matlock posted:

The Evo 3D having an official unlock is better than the "swap around the bootloaders" dance one has to do to get root & WiMAX on a Photon. Otherwise, a tradeoff of the Photon is the pentile screen. Perhaps some folks prefer it, others are indifferent to it, but there's some who absolutely will not get a pentile device these days, so Motorola's options for this year are all out.

MrMoose posted:

Though I'm not sure I get the Samsung hate. Granted, I am running Syndicate Frozen on my Epic 4G as opposed to the base software, but I've not run into any issues with it.
The Epic is buggy on stock firmware. Custom ROMs do fix many of its bugs, but introduce new ones. Unless you're running SRF w/the journal on "hack", a power event will trash your file system and you'll have to reflash. Though, that's more fault of the Epic xda community than it is the Epic itself. But otherwise I agree the device is fairly reasonable on a sufficiently-tweaked Froyo install.

The problem with the Epic, and every Samsung SGS-I variant in the US except the Mesmerize is that there's no official GB update after nine months. The fact that the same thing happened with Samsung's devices and Froyo made a lot of folks angry. Worse, there's been plenty of GB ROM leaks but they're all buggy, so it's not that Samsung won't release an update, they can't make one work. That kind of incompetence is infuriating.

It also doesn't bode well for the Epic Touch, although I really do want Samsung to get it right, even though I'd put money on them botching it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RagingHematoma posted:

1 out of every 5 incoming phone calls locks my phone up and applications are always crashing.
The Epic sucks, but it doesn't suck this bad. There's absolutely something wrong with your phone. I can't say if it's bad flash memory, bad CPU, or possibly some radio NVRAM weirdness that's causing the radio to fuckup and lockup the device.

Apologies if you already did the reflash I mentioned a few days ago. But if you flash to stock EC05 once more with "Phone EFS Clear" checked in Odin, that will clear the radio NVRAM and cause your phone to redo hands-free activatin. It's also quite likely that it won't reactivate automatically. If you can, activating a different phone online and switching back should fix it. If you can't (e.g., SERO user) then a call to *2 and they'll reset whatever they have to do on their end to get it to activate.

If that doesn't clear it, $35 to Sprint and they should make it good.

I realize you don't even like the Epic at this point. But you're still under subsidy and it should be able to operate for you far better than it has. Even if you'll never touch it again, you could at least dump it on eBay or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leathal posted:

In other news, CM7 for the Evo 3D finally has a release that doesn't break the battery meter. Probably going to be my daily driver now, since I don't really use and/or care about the remaining broken stuff and CM is so much loving faster than Sense.

Broken Stuff:
Bluetooth
WiMax
3D Pics/Videos

Hot poo poo. I have a need for bluetooth but you bet your rear end I'm on pins and needles waiting for the CM team to get that going.

It's pretty awesome that there's been the same amount of progress on Cyanogen for the Evo 3D in 5 months as there has been on the Epic 4G in a year. They still haven't gotten the camera or GPS working on the Epic.

e: Have a look at this press release from Samsung regarding the E4G Touch.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 16, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

They still haven't gotten the camera or GPS working on the Epic.
To be fair, nobody's trying. The alleged excuse is that it will be far easier to port CM to the Epic once the GB kernel sources are released. While that may make things a bit easier, I'm unconvinced it's not doable otherwise. However, that doesn't address either the camera or the GPS.

I'm not sure what's up with the camera. The problem with the SGS is that the Epic is unlike other (at least, the GSM) Galaxy S models where instead of accessing the GPS via GPIO pins, all GPS communication is routed through the baseband processor and transported over Samsung's proprietary RIL. Most of that transport code is in native libraries, so it's either a significant reverse engineering effort, or it involves running the proprietary RIL & librarires on CM. I don't know yet if there's any limitations in doing the latter, but given that the GPS is broken in Samsung's GB present GB leaks, it doesn't bode well.

The other difficulty in porting CM to the Epic is that there's no good mechanism for testing kernels on Samsung hardware. Only one active kernel can exist on the device at a time, two if you do some hackery and give up recovery support. The fact that kernels are flashed to non-translation partitions makes folks weary of doing it too much. So assuming you actually want a working phone during development, you pretty much need a dedicated development device.

In contrast with HTC devices you can install a ROM purely to SD card, and "fastboot boot" a kernel straight over USB, no flashing required.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The Photon isn't "faster"

The 1GHZ Tegra 2 in the Photon is undisputably a more powerful processor/GPU combo than the 1.2GHZ Snapdragon and Adreno 220 in the Evo 3D. Although that's more an indictment of the Snapdragon than anything, because the Adreno is the better GPU by far.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

It's pretty awesome that there's been the same amount of progress on Cyanogen for the Evo 3D in 5 months

The Evo 3D hasn't even been out 3 whole months, and has only been rooted for the past month/month and a half. So the work's even that much more impressive.

Matlock posted:

The 1GHZ Tegra 2 in the Photon is undisputably a more powerful processor/GPU combo than the 1.2GHZ Snapdragon and Adreno 220 in the Evo 3D

Says what, lovely benchmark apps that have been shown to be mostly useless?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Not to mention the dual core processor in the E3D is underclocked by design.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Matlock posted:

The 1GHZ Tegra 2 in the Photon is undisputably a more powerful processor/GPU combo than the 1.2GHZ Snapdragon and Adreno 220 in the Evo 3D. Although that's more an indictment of the Snapdragon than anything, because the Adreno is the better GPU by far.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/19/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty/ writ large

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I own a LG Optimus S and haven't owned a Motorola or HTC phone since 2008. Before my current phone, I had a Samsung Reclaim :shobon:.

Given not only benchmarks, platform-agnostic comparisons, and several reviews, the Photon comes out cleanly ahead in pretty much every metric other than "entertainment" usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yes, I meant the Epic Touch 4G (SGS II). I went to the Sprint store today and played with one for a while. I don't know how Engadget, or anyone else for that matter, can possibly say the Epic 4g Touch is on par or better than the SGS II, capacitive buttons are the worst. Also for some reason Samsung decided to put the menu button on the very left of the phone instead of the home button. This is all personal preference, but this really irks me for some reason.

In any case, the phone is fast as hell, but not $430 faster than an EVO. Oddly enough I saw zero advertisements for the phone, its as if they couldn't care less about selling it. They're probably focused on the upcoming Apple marketing campaign.