Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kia has shown a new concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

"Oh", I hear you say, "It's probably some eco-minded multipurpose kid-hauler with electric motors and boooooriiiiiing."

How does a 390hp 3,3-liter turbo V6, RWD and four doors sound? It sure doesn't sound like any Kia I've ever seen. It's called the Kia GT and OH GOD PLEASE KIA MAKE THIS CAR (but tone down the ugliness a bit, please?). Hyundai did pretty well with the Genesis, you can do it!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/frankfurt-2011-kia-gt-concept-2011-09-13

EDIT: More pics here: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1109_kia_gt_concept/photo_09.html#photo

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
I'm not crazy about that grill or the thing with the headlights but that needs to be put into loving production

edit: is that gold on the a pillar? Ballin

69sofine fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 14, 2011

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

390hp Kia? I'd say that the odds of it being put into production slot right in there between "snow ball's chance in hell" and "Obama getting reelected".

What is it competing with? The 5-series? The A6? The E-Class? Love the side, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The RX-8 sold decently enough, no reason why that shouldn't, it looks like it's going for the same kind of idea. Leave the turbo off or spec a smaller engine to give a ~200bhp version as well and I think it could work nicely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

The new Honda Civic revealed at Frankfurt looks like a Kia/Hyundai. Strange.

It's not that different from the current one (Euro model)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_Civic_2006_titan_hl.jpg

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I'm not quite sure why the Kia GT is trying to cover its own headlights, but the rest of it looks pretty solid and unique. There's been some spy shots of a Kia K9 model before (what we know as the Optima is the K5 in Korea, and I forget what we call the K7, its bigger brother) but the GT looks to be an entirely different design.

I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets produced, although I'm sure the styling will be brought closer to what's on production Kias now. There seems to be a big market for affordable domestic luxury sedans in Korea, and Hyundai's tentative move upmarket in the US with the Genesis and Equus will make it easier for them to try the same thing with the Kia brand. It's not a dead lock but I bet they could go for it if they felt optimistic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

god drat that KIA is hideous.

4 doors is also :psyduck:

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
That K9 reminds me of a Maserati from the front.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Wired have an interview with Gordon Murray on his iSTREAM stuff: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/09/gordon-murray-qa/

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

coinstarpatrick posted:

Judging by its absence from the past 20 pages I may be the only one but... I'm pretty hard for the new Kia Rio 5.

So much so that I watched this whole video of this goofy yet amiable Kia salesman going over its finer features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE21bqt17Lw&feature=related

I really liked the styling of the new Optima when I first saw it, and this to me is like a smaller version with a very Fiesta/MK5 golf vibe.

That's a really cute pencil-thin mustache.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Poured one out at this news:
http://jalopnik.com/5840637/the-last-ford-crown-victoria-ever-built

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Falcon FG MkII was announced today. It looks pretty horrific to be honest, and no power/efficiency changes.
EcoBoost will be available, maybe in the pov pack model?

Colour ICC is standard and is a touchscreen now. The vents/buttons area looks really weird to my eyes; I'm probably just too used to looking at the FG1 layout.

A picture without numberplates really makes the grille look hideous.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm really digging that new Civic.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New Falcon looks pretty boring.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

New Falcon looks pretty boring.

Well yeah it's a Ford after all.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Kia :words:

Rear axels to rust through in under 50,000 miles as a performance feature.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

extreme_accordion posted:

Rear axels to rust through in under 50,000 miles as a performance feature.

It's ok it'll be covered under the warranty.

Kia GT looks hot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I saw a preview for Nissan GT Academy on SPEED Tv. I'm really excited, for better or worse.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Some kind of new Lexus LS being tested on the Ring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if the holes in the grill and vents is supposed to evoke F. They are shaped sorta like the inside curve of the F in the Lexus F marque.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can't wait to see one on air.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

There are a couple of cars that are doing the hidden rear door handle but why don't car companies do it for the front door handles as well? It always looks so unbalanced to me not to mention it'd just be plain cool all around.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Where would you hide the handles? It works on the rear doors because of the shape, you just cut off the edge of the window & tuck it into the pillar but on the front you'd either end up with a massive thick door pillar our a slice of window that doesn't move.

Also it kinda makes 5 door cars almost look like 3 doors, which I suppose is slightly more desirable?

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I see what you mean, a massive door pillar would kinda defeat the point of streamlining the handles but there might be enough space for a cut out on the door frame and have an opening mechanism like the c6 corvette where it's not really a physical handle that you pull but a pressure pad that pops the door open. Just a thought. Or maybe it's not done for an entirely different reason, like maybe a large enough handle is required for the driver's side door under some weird safety regulation.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I've always been a fan of the positioning of the door handles on the Ford Probe.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Go have a look at a Chevy Beretta. They hid the doorhandles in the B pillar. Admittedly, the pillar is a little thick, and it's a coupe, but I don't see why it couldn't also work on a sedan.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
How does the Genesis Coupe stack up against the 328i coupe and A5? It's like 10-15k less and seems to be on par or better than either of those two at most things. Obviously build quality and interior won't be as good, but otherwise it seems like a pretty good choice for someone looking for a turning-30-need-a-coupe crowd like me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dunkman posted:

How does the Genesis Coupe stack up against the 328i coupe and A5? It's like 10-15k less and seems to be on par or better than either of those two at most things. Obviously build quality and interior won't be as good, but otherwise it seems like a pretty good choice for someone looking for a turning-30-need-a-coupe crowd like me.

Don't want to get this thread into recommend-me-a-car territory, but I cross-shopped the GenCoupe 3.6L and the Mustang V6, and the Mustang V6 was way better for even less money (and if you have the money for a 328 or an A5, I'd definitely check the GT).

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

PT6A posted:

Don't want to get this thread into recommend-me-a-car territory, but I cross-shopped the GenCoupe 3.6L and the Mustang V6, and the Mustang V6 was way better for even less money (and if you have the money for a 328 or an A5, I'd definitely check the GT).

Unfortunately I lived in Texas where 80% of the cars on the road are either Mustangs or F-150s, so Mustangs... are. right. out.

edit: Also, what's protocol in AI for a "recommend me a new car!" kind of post/thread? Is there a dedicated thread for it somewhere? I'll probably be wanting to do that next year, so I don't repeat my "you paid WHAT?" situation.

\/ Weak. I'll just lease an Escalade I guess. :(

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 20, 2011

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Read the rules and you shall receive the answer to your AI posting questions.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Motoiq has a good writeup on Mazda's magic-powered Skyactiv-G motor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Motoiq has a good writeup on Mazda's magic-powered Skyactiv-G motor.

The way they packaged the 4-2-1 header over the cat is pretty nice:

Hopefully people will be happy with the flow of that header, since making your own might be tricky.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

The way they packaged the 4-2-1 header over the cat is pretty nice:

Hopefully people will be happy with the flow of that header, since making your own might be tricky.

Oh wow, that should really help get the cat up to operating temperature faster.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BonzoESC posted:

Oh wow, that should really help get the cat up to operating temperature faster.

Actually, the article states that this design in inherently inferior to current designs with respect to cat heating, and they needed to delay fuel injection to raise EGT during startup with the SkyActiv. The header apparently does a good job at cooling the exhaust gasses, which is needed to keep things in the correct temperature range to run 13:1 without knocking.

I don't see this engine taking well to ANY mods really. It's quite a feat to operate at such high compression ratios (on 87 octane at that!), and I doubt that the aftermarket could do much to improve the operation of this engine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You can increase volumetric efficiency, but even on 20 year old engines they did CFD analyses, so losing power with whale dong intakes is the real probability.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Cool, maybe once they get this out the door Mazda can go back to finishing their 16X direct injection rotary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dunkman posted:

Unfortunately I lived in Texas where 80% of the cars on the road are either Mustangs or F-150s, so Mustangs... are. right. out.

What's so wrong with driving a popular car?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

What's so wrong with driving a popular car?

You see why car recommendation threads are awful.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/09/lexus-ls-f-tmg-edition-spied-with-flared-fenders-650-hp.html

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
I thought that was a Ford or a Holden at first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So it turns out the 991 is pretty fast. 997 GT3 fast.

quote:

The Porsche 911 is dead, long live the Porsche 911. The German automaker's latest and greatest has taken to the Nürburgring where old marks have fallen hard. The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S was sent through the Green Hell, where it promptly beat the time achieved by the prior 997 version by a whopping 13 seconds.

With a time of 7:40, the 2012 911 matches the mark set by the previous 911 GT3. If you happen to own a previous generation 911 GT3, we'll pause here for a moment while you go out to smash something with a hammer.

Back? Great. You shouldn't fret too much, because this just means the next-generation GT3 should be a land rocket capable of blistering the surface of the 'Ring. GT2 guys, your numbers are still safe... for now.

The 991 Turbo and GTx models are going to be stupid fast.