Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I've recently been watching Pointless. I normally despise quiz shows with a passion and I must say I enjoy it quite a lot if only for Richard's poor jokes :3:

I have yet to get a pointless answer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Lugaloco posted:

So I've recently been watching Pointless. I normally despise quiz shows with a passion and I must say I enjoy it quite a lot if only for Richard's poor jokes :3:

Its great isn't it? I love that Richard guy! :D

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I come from a small country that has often imported British panel show concepts. I'm wondering why the US hasn't done the same thing. I can't really see any reason why a show such as Would I Lie to You wouldn't work over there, it's not like they haven't got any comedians.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
American celebs seem terrified of panel shows.

Lotsatuned
Sep 30, 2008

Per posted:

I come from a small country that has often imported British panel show concepts. I'm wondering why the US hasn't done the same thing. I can't really see any reason why a show such as Would I Lie to You wouldn't work over there, it's not like they haven't got any comedians.

I'm intrigued as to the name of your miniature country.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Z-Magic posted:

Was there a rumour that he was a former heroin addict at some point or was that limited to my friends imaginations?

Gambling, not heroin.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Lugaloco posted:

I got two pointless answers on the final round today (Beatles solo top 40 singles) :)

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Richard Osman of Pointless fame is also the creative director of Endemol UK, of Screenwipe and Big Brother fame.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Lotsatuned posted:

I'm intrigued as to the name of your miniature country.

Denmark.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Per posted:

I know that American adaptations of Have I Got News For You (filmed in New York and featuring Greg Giraldo) and Buzzcocks were attempted. I think in general that American audiences don't respond particularly well to gameshows played by celebrities where there's no clear or defined consequence of winning or losing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Per posted:

I come from a small country that has often imported British panel show concepts. I'm wondering why the US hasn't done the same thing.

Panel shows got their start on American radio and were hugely popular on US TV in the 50s and 60s. For whatever reason, it's not a format that interests Americans any more despite periodic attempts to revive it (eg. The Marriage Ref).

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I hope Alan Davies actually makes a comment on QI tonight

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
As predicted by Bill Bailey, this is now the official Stephen Fry Mustache appreciation web site.

Continue on your business.

(this is an QI joke :))

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

shadok posted:

Panel shows got their start on American radio and were hugely popular on US TV in the 50s and 60s. For whatever reason, it's not a format that interests Americans any more despite periodic attempts to revive it (eg. The Marriage Ref).

Graham Norton is about to film a new panel show in NYC for BBC America. Wonder if it'll be any good.

http://www.theblacklistnyc.com/wyr < You can get tickets to the show here!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Going back a few years, that very same site also offered tickets to the US version of Have I Got News For You. I always wanted to see it due to Michael Ian Black's involvement, but I heard it wasn't great.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ChuckDHead posted:

Do you think they'll want to keep Ricky Gervais?

They can keep him, he's an unfunny oval office who latches himself onto other funny people to pass himself off as being the funny one.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

So that's the first series of Sky One's Trollied over. I've ended up watching most of it without really intending to, and I wouldn't say it was outrageously funny, but I was generally expecting worse. Jane Horrocks played a fairly unlikeable and irritating character rather well, and the butcher and the old lady tended to be fairly amusing. Unfortunately the cast size is an issue, and a number of characters ended up feeling slightly superfluous, most notably the two women working the tannoy system and the rather grotty and unpleasant stockroom guy (they already have the grotty and unpleasant checkout girl, and while they're a good pair together in a sort of The-Thenardiers-From-Les-Mis way, I've only seen them interact once in the series). The will-they-won't-they pair of the younger butcher and the cute checkout girl is sort of an issue, in that they don't really bring any jokes to what is ostensibly a comedy, and mainly act as a source of drama and a sort of integrated laugh track, laughing between themselves at the absurd behaviour of their colleagues (hey writers, that's the audience's job).

Lastly, one thing that does stand out in my mind is the swearing. I love stuff like the violent swear-spewing fury of Malcolm Tucker, but the word "gently caress" feels a little out of place in Trollied, like it would do if they'd tried shoehorning it into Dinnerladies.

Kin posted:

They can keep him, he's an unfunny oval office who latches himself onto other funny people to pass himself off as being the funny one.

Ssshhh, don't tell them that, they might not take him!

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
How is Trollied compared to that low budget BBC supermarket sitcom Shelfstackers?

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 17, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

stevey666 posted:

How is Trollied compared to the low budget BBC Shelfstackers?

Higher production values, bigger cast, generally older cast, more mundane/realistic subject matter, less interaction between most of the cast, and perhaps critically; fewer laughs. It's also probably intended for a slightly older audience in general.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
QI was great last night, I laughed quite a bit, was refreshing to see Stephen Fry with a mustache. Just wish Alan Davies wouldn't appear so bored and jaded sometimes, I re-watched some episodes from Series A and B, and he was the centre of the show back then... nowadays It seems like we have to wait for bill bailey or Ross noble for him to shine :/

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kin posted:

bit harsh, even if you choose to believe that he wasn't the best writer of The Office his comic acting in that show was still wonderful

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Azmodaii posted:

QI was great last night, I laughed quite a bit, was refreshing to see Stephen Fry with a mustache. Just wish Alan Davies wouldn't appear so bored and jaded sometimes, I re-watched some episodes from Series A and B, and he was the centre of the show back then... nowadays It seems like we have to wait for bill bailey or Ross noble for him to shine :/

Well, the trouble is that when your running gag is "educating the idiot", eventually he gets wise enough that he has to stop setting up the gags, or else his continued idiocy makes no sense because he should know better by now. And at least he's savvy enough to know that it just wouldn't work if he was still trying to be the wide-eyed innocent of the first few series.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Had to love Mitchell's rant about getting the answer wrong in regards to the First World War whilst trying to tip-toe around it. Poor guy, he just couldn't catch a break :(

Still hilarious though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Alan Partridge has written a memoir.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Partridge-Need-Talk-About-ebook/dp/B005IH02Y4/ref=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hoping each chapter ends with 'needless to say, I had the last laugh'!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Also:

Alan G Partridge posted:

Sleepwalking dog makes me LOL, ROFL, LMAO and LTIGSM (laugh til I genuinely soil myself) (my acronym).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, the trouble is that when your running gag is "educating the idiot", eventually he gets wise enough that he has to stop setting up the gags, or else his continued idiocy makes no sense because he should know better by now. And at least he's savvy enough to know that it just wouldn't work if he was still trying to be the wide-eyed innocent of the first few series.

He got precious about being perceived as a fool. After willingly playing a fool on national TV.

Jesus loving Christ, look at that Kindle price. I just choked on my sausage roll (not Greggs :()

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Hopefully this one won't end up pulped.

Nonetheless, back of the net!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No seriously, that's a 30% premium on something that costs massively less to produce than the hardback version.

The publisher is just begging people to pirate it.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No seriously, that's a 30% premium on something that costs massively less to produce than the hardback version.

The publisher is just begging people to pirate it.

I suspect that much like the record labels, book publishers would really prefer that digital doesn't take off.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
so, am I the only one watching Big Brother?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ChuckDHead posted:

I suspect that much like the record labels, book publishers would really prefer that digital doesn't take off.

Printing books is expensive. Depending on how they wangle the margins, publishers can potentially make more money from ebooks than from print copies.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Seem to remember ebooks are currently taxed as well, while dead trees aren't.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Jesus loving Christ, look at that Kindle price.

It's the reason I won't be buying it. The only reason.

£5 and its a done deal.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DaWolfey posted:

It's the reason I won't be buying it. The only reason.

£5 and its a done deal.

I clicked the link ready to buy it there and then. I don't buy printed books anymore, and while I would have grumbled I would have paid the same price as for the hardback (although, as you say, it should be closer to a paperback). But I refuse on principle to pay a premium which is only there as a two fingered salute from Harper Collins.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Actually, part of the reason it's higher is because of VAT. Books are 0% VAT but ebooks are full VAT, so that's the £2.

The .99 though? That's the gently caress you.

But it should be way cheaper anyway, because it costs them nothing more to sell 10 or 10,000

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also with digital they don't have to discount things to get rid of unsold copies so things can just stay full price forever.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

so, am I the only one watching Big Brother?
I'm still enjoying it :) If your a fan of the show the 17 September Marcus and Luke episode of this http://bigbrothersbitontheradio.com/ is worth listening to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I ain't done muffin.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Back to TV, the BBC in a horrible act public service have uploaded lots of old military doccumentaries here. Worth a look if you enjoy anti-communist propoganda, occasional "what the..." moments of racism on the TV, and tragically inbred Ruperts going "fwah fwah fwah".

Already posted a few pages back, losing your touch you old commie emperor loving warham you.

Watch the traditions one at least people, for the simple imagine of WW2 vets in their sixties riding group tandem on a single bike.