Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm planning another marathon session of updates tomorrow morning, and might get a fight in tonight as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm planning another marathon session of updates tomorrow morning, and might get a fight in tonight as well.

Awesome. C'mon Golden Brown!

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom
I hadn't checked back on the progress in a while but looks like I got here just in time! Almost time for Scott Howard to shine (do not bet on him).

If there's a weapon in each hand, do they get used at the same time? Or just alternated? Despite how badass 4h worth of weapons is, I'm thinking I just wasted a huge chunk of money

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Basil Brush posted:

I hadn't checked back on the progress in a while but looks like I got here just in time! Almost time for Scott Howard to shine (do not bet on him).

If there's a weapon in each hand, do they get used at the same time? Or just alternated? Despite how badass 4h worth of weapons is, I'm thinking I just wasted a huge chunk of money

Your fighter will use one "primary" weapon to fight. If an Opportunity Attack comes up, he may use one of the three other weapons. Or he might kick, or perhaps even bite. He will not attack faster in anyway, though. Not sure if each weapon has a parrying chance, but probably not. Dual Wielding isn't really a feature in DF, it's just something that's not prevented.

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom

Astus posted:

Your fighter will use one "primary" weapon to fight. If an Opportunity Attack comes up, he may use one of the three other weapons. Or he might kick, or perhaps even bite. He will not attack faster in anyway, though. Not sure if each weapon has a parrying chance, but probably not. Dual Wielding isn't really a feature in DF, it's just something that's not prevented.

Well... crap. I guess I can afford to lose an arm now

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Basil Brush posted:

Well... crap. I guess I can afford to lose an arm now

I'll try to oblige you.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I think the best that Dual Weilding can do for you is give you a higher chance of the Opportunity Attacks, but I'm not even sure if it gives you more of those, or just takes them away from near-useless kicks, punches or scratches.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm pretty sure the main advantage to multiple weapons is the increased parry rate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Two:siren:

Match Thirty-Two, Scott Howard (Basil Brush) vs. Golden Brown (AJ_Impy)

Scott Howard, a youthful-looking werewolf, is clad in a full set of copper armor and wields two copper hammers, truly a sight to behold. He does lack mail armor, instead opting for a breast plate, which leaves his upper arms exposed. Golden Brown, a strangler, wields an iron scourge that should be able to penetrate Scott Howard's armor- though to what effect? Golden Brown is armored only with copper gauntlets.

The battle begins! Golden Brown lurches out just a step quicker than Scott Howard and takes the first swipe, but the nimble werewolf leaps backward and avoids the bite of Golden Brown's vicious scourge! The strangler moves to reengage, and Scott Howard immediately seizes the initiative, charging at the angry little beast and knocking it to the ground! Scott Howard follows up with a killing strike- but where is Golden Brown? The strangler rolls cleanly away long before the blow lands, then hops to his feet! Scott Howard follows, attacks, and misses.

Before Golden Brown can strike back, though, Scott Howard charges again, bowling over the strangler once more. When it comes time to finish the job, though, Scott Howard finds himself striking the arena floor yet again, Golden Brown having rolled to safety with time to spare.

Golden Brown is back up, and Scott Howard rushes him again- but this time, the strangler throws himself out of the way! Scott Howard continues his charge, though, before Golden Brown can respond, and the strangler is slammed to the ground in a disoriented heap, stunned and vulnerable. Scott Howard pummels the creature with his hammer- once, twice, thrice- but Golden Brown's solid muscles absorb the blows without difficulty, and the strangler recovers!

Scott Howard is immediately back on the offensive. Golden Brown escapes once, but yet again fails to capitalize, and is knocked down before he can so much as raise his weapon to strike. But even from his back, he uses his taut lash to parry the werewolf's strike, then escapes yet again to return to his feet! For a moment, though, his prior beating takes its toll, and he gasps for breath, winded due to his bruised lung, his back now literally against the wall. Golden Brown sustains a shot to the gut, then falls to the ground before Scott Howard's next blitz.

Golden Brown sustains a massive, continued onslaught, going to the ground again and again. Scott Howard finally draws blood by using his claws rather than his hammers- but the wound inflicted upon the strangler's lower leg does little to slow him down. Despite everything, Golden Brown is still in this!

Scott Howard continues to press onward, never pausing a moment, lest Golden Brown find a crucial opening. Eventually, he scores a crushing blow to the strangler's chest, smashing a rib, then goes in head first, ripping at the strangler's arms with his impressive canines. Finally, Golden Brown is beaten into submission, and finished off with a blow to the head. Had Scott Howard been just a split second slower at one of many instances, Golden Brown could have easily landed a strike. Instead, Scott Howard claims a perfect victory.

Combat Log

Tomorrow, the most important fight of all: Mine!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor little dead guy. Oh well.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It seems like it's always tricky for a little guy to come back from the ground. Dodging helps out a little, but when the big guy gets a bunch of free attacks a debilitating blow is going to get through sooner or later.

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom

posted:

Scott Howard bashes Golden Brown in the head with his copper war hammer, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The copper war hammer has lodged firmly in the wound!

I was hoping for a war hammer to either side of his head, but I'll settle for this! Onto the next round! I might keep dual wielding 2Hs as a gimmick - one for smashing, one for stabbing :smug:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Ah well, he very nearly managed to master the art of not being hit. Definitely needed work on the art of hitting, he should've been handy with that scourge.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Three:siren:

Match Thirty-Three, You Dont Gnome (Vox Nihili) vs. Picnic Raider (Monk E)

You Dont Gnome, dark gnome, carries an over-sized steel dagger into the arena, but is otherwise bereft of any sort of equipment. Picnic Raider the soldier ant woman wields a copper flail in two hands, an oak buckler upon another, and has one hand free. You Dont Gnome will be hard-pressed to cripple his opponent early, here- soldier ant women are notoriously difficult to keep down.

The fighters both come out quick, the gnome one step (or several gnomish steps) quicker. He takes the first strike- but Picnic Raider leaps to the side, avoiding the slash.

The gladiators jostle for position for a moment, then Picnic Raider charges! You Dont Gnome parries the blow, but is overwhelmed nonetheless and knocked onto his back. Picnic Raider presses her assault, but You Dont Gnome heroically fights back from the ground, parrying the first strike and ripping open the ant woman's thorax with a quick counter-slash! Again, Picnic Raider strikes, but again, You Dont Gnome defends himself and counters, this time taking off one of Picnic Raider's spare hands!

Now, You Dont Gnome vaults to his feet, ready to turn the tables on his wounded opponent! But Picnic Raider rushes him again, this time stunning the gnome in the process, and follows up with a shot to his foot, shattering many tiny bones! A thump to the shoulder essentially cripples You Dont Gnome, and Picnic Raider swings her flail again and again, pulverizing the gnome even as her own vital fluids seep from her wounds. Eventually, Picnic Raider stabilizes, though pale from loss of fluids, and You Dont Gnome is ground into paste. Picnic Raider advances!

Combat Log

So much for my fighter! I designed him for round one to maximize his first strike chances, but he managed to miss entirely, then almost came back regardless. I will almost certainly be giving gremlins, dark gnomes, and possibly kobolds the [nostun] tag in the next tournament, which will constitute a huge change in their favor. Their other values will have to be rebalanced, of course.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Four:siren:

Match Thirty-Four, Cobalt Rex (Schneeble) vs. Wally "The Wall" Wallson (mmm11105)

Cobalt Rex, kobold, is a bowbold, iron bow in hand. He does not bother with nonsense like "armor." Wally "The Wall" Wallson is a strangler with a defensive bent. He wields an iron short sword, two oak bucklers and an oak shield, in addition to a nearly-full set of iron armor which lacks only gauntlets. Will iron mail hold against iron arrows?

The match begins, and Cobalt Rex launches his first arrow! Wally blocks with the larger of his shields and continues forward without pause!

Cobalt lets his next arrow fly, but Wally blocks again, and is soon upon him! The strangler is able to force Cobalt to the ground, though his slash goes high.

Wally presses forward. He stabs through Cobalt's leg, then slashes across the kobold's hand, leaving a shallow gash. Cobalt manages to scramble away from the next strike, but narrowly suffers a stab wound to his other leg shortly after. Somehow, though, the kobold manages to nock an arrow from his knees, and fires directly at Wally! But the shield-wall holds, and the arrow never even reaches the strangler's armor!

Wally slashes and stabs at Cobalt again and again, opening dozens of tiny wounds as the kobold desperately scrambles to and fro, no longer able to stand.

Will Cobalt die a death of 1000 tiny cuts? No! Wally answers that question by cleaving off one of the kobold's arms at the shoulder, then takes a foot as well. Cobalt rolls away from the next slash, then is still, dead of blood loss. Wally is victorious!

Combat Log

Wally's build countered a bowbold perfectly, but would have been ineffectual against most other builds. Poor, poor Cobalt Rex never stood a chance- but he almost certainly would have won if he'd had a steel spear or such instead, and a focus on the associated weapon skill. Not that his manager could have predicted what he would be up against, of course!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Five:siren:

Match Thirty-Five, Shootey McShootalot (Useless Shotgun) vs. Umarion (victis)

Shootey McShootalot, admitted elf, is, unsurprisingly, armed with a bow and a set of iron arrows. He also wears a simple copper helm. Umarion the yeti has a silver maul, but not as much as a thread of armor. Will the yeti weather the rain of arrows?

Shootey's looses his first arrow, which dives straight into Umarion's chest, ripping through the lung, leaving the huge beast gasping for air!

This is now Shootey's fight to lose! And the elf immediately fumbles things by shooting his next arrow wide, leaving a potential opening for Umarion to advance through.

Umarion presses forward as quickly as he can, though the hole through his lung slows him considerably. Just as he approaches melee range, Shootey fires a third arrow! The missile buries itself into Umarion's knee, lodging within the joint! The yeti howls in agony and slams to the arena's tiled floor as his leg gives way beneath him!

Umarion, resolute, crawls the last few feet to reach Shootey, then sputters out just before he can bring his weapon to bare, and falls into unconsciousness!

Shootey peppers the limp form before him with arrows. Umarion suffers terribly, drifting in and out of consciousness, but manages to attempt a swipe or two at the elf, who easily moves out of the way. Umarion, his spine severed and his organs turned into pincushions, finally suffocates. Shootey McShootalot advances!

Combat Log

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

God I love bow fighters. They either get mauled in horrific, blood-curdling ways or win with the first shot tearing through a vital organ :3:

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Wow, my stupid gimmick build worked!

Now to blow all my money on standing a fighting chance against a swordsman

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
Oh man Clown Baby is up next! I have a bad feeling that his Dark Gnome opponent is going to jump up and behead him in the initial clash. :(

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Wow I’m actually really surprised I won after that counter slash considering how hard it seems to be for small fighters to land solid hits with bashing weapons and how quickly ant women usually bleed out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Monk E posted:

Wow I’m actually really surprised I won after that counter slash considering how hard it seems to be for small fighters to land solid hits with bashing weapons and how quickly ant women usually bleed out.

Ant women bleed out at approximately the same speed as other species of their size. The quick bleeding out was an old symptom of the bug that used to make them incredibly tiny.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Vox Nihili posted:

Wally's build countered a bowbold perfectly, but would have been ineffectual against most other builds. Poor, poor Cobalt Rex never stood a chance- but he almost certainly would have won if he'd had a steel spear or such instead, and a focus on the associated weapon skill. Not that his manager could have predicted what he would be up against, of course!

When I saw that my fighter was going up against a strangler named "The Wall" I knew that I was hosed. Them's the breaks!

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Wow that worked surprisingly well.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Well, so far I've made a slight profit at betting. I'm putting that profit towards increasing my bet against SynthOrange.

Awaiting more updates...

Hm. Given how slow things are updating here, what are the chances someone could run a mini-event alongside this one? Not tournament style, but perhaps something like a classical 5-man adventuring party could be created and set against various challenges, where people could bet for or against the party as a whole (and the members individually for survival order in case of failure) when set against dragons, collossi, various modded critters from the 12bay forums, in slightly more dangerous arenas where dodging the wrong way or getting knocked back might mean drowning or burning...

Of course, it'd have to be done with the approval of the site owner, and it'd have to be limited so as not to distract from the main even TOO much.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

Of course, it'd have to be done with the approval of the site owner, and it'd have to be limited so as not to distract from the main even TOO much.

That's pretty much exactly it. We've run side-stuff in the previous thread before. It basically boils down to first asking Vox for permission first, and being limited to that it doesn't take that much time. And being gimmicky enough that it's different.

I don't think betting would work with the arena-challenge site, but that's something that could be discussed with Vox and Jazzimus.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can still run betting for side-stuff if needed, although I don't think there'd be any prizes from it except bragging rights. :)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like kobolds, but I always like seeing weirder builds win. I'm torn (in half by a strangler).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Six:siren:

Match Thirty-Six, Clown Baby (longgonejohn) vs. Andy Hamilton (Baron La Croix)

Clown Baby the tigerman wields an iron halberd in one hand and an oak shield in the other. He wears a copper helm and leather armor. Andy Hamilton, dark gnome, is clad in iron mail, iron helm, and leather boots and gauntlets. His weapon is a large, platinum mace that he struggles to carry, even with both hands. Will fortune shine on Andy Hamilton?

The fight begins! Both warriors rush forward, Andy quite a bit faster than his foe, despite his burden. Somehow, though, Clown Baby gets the first swing, and Andy Hamilton is forced to jump back to avoid being struck!

Clown Baby immediately moves in on his target, knocking down the gnome and swinging his halberd wildly. But Andy defends himself well, avoiding strike after strike. Clown Baby does succeed in scratching at his opponent's foot, which isn't especially meaningful. Soon the gnome lands a couple hits of his own- solid thumps to the tigerman's chest! If only he had a weapon that he could wield with anything approaching effectiveness.

Andy lands a hit to the tigerman's arm, but the stroke is simply insufficient to harm such a large, robust creature. Finally, Clown Baby knocks his opponent down and follows up with a couple effective hits. His halberd punches through Andy's mail, maiming the gnome's leg. Andy responds by clubbing the tigerman in the foot, yet again to no real effect. Clown Baby immediately takes off one of the little warrior's feet in response. Still, Andy persists, fighting on with sheer willpower from the ground!

Eventually, Andy is overcome, but not before landing two more hits on his opponent. In his dying breath, the gnome shouts, "Curse you, Baron La Croix!" If only his manager had seen fit to equip him with a bladed weapon, or perhaps even a whip. Regardless, Clown Baby "earns" himself a mediocre victory.

Combat Log

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Turns out I don't know poo poo about this game!

(Sorry Andy. Who will write those screenplays now?)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Baron La Croix posted:

Sorry about the personal call-out in the play-by-play. Sometimes I just can't resist.

I know many fans and managers of the little guys would kill to have as many strike opportunities as "Andy Hamilton" got. Also, is it just me, or does the actual Andy Hamilton's face seem as though it would be especially appropriate atop a gnome?

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Vox Nihili posted:

Sorry about the personal call-out in the play-by-play. Sometimes I just can't resist.

I know many fans and managers of the little guys would kill to have as many strike opportunities as "Andy Hamilton" got. Also, is it just me, or does the actual Andy Hamilton's face seem as though it would be especially appropriate atop a gnome?

I'm pretty sure I focused on dodging, that being the closest I got to actual strategy.

And as regards the man himself, I was indeed imagining my fighter as looking something like

Oh well. Congratulations due to Clownbaby. (Personally, I don't want to know what that looks like.)

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
Wow, I just squeaked by in that fight. That was a very impressive showing from the gnome against a larger (if very generic) foe. Clown Baby shall eat his heart to absorb his fighting spirit!

If we have another season I am going small. Without stun the little guys will have a much better chance to get out of the first round.

edit:
Oh hey, thanks Baron for a great fight! I named Clown Baby after the "Always Sunny" episode where they sign up Charlie to an underground fight club and they wanted to game the odds so that everyone would bet against his retard strength.

Clown Baby :eek:

longgonejohn fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 17, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Baron La Croix posted:

Yeah, 'fraid not. Tiny little guys with platinum can't swing them hard enough to really do much damage. Notice that all your hits were just causing 'bruising', which is the second lowest rank of damage, after 'denting', which basically reads as your attack bouncing off.

He probably would have done more damage with iron or copper as his material of choice, if you'd kept the weapon type.

I suppose at some point someone (or several someones) should throw together a mildly comprehensive strategy book so people don't accidentally step into known really weak builds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you'd really have been better off going with piercing and slashing attacks with a tiny guy. A bow would help.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, you'd really have been better off going with piercing and slashing attacks with a tiny guy. A bow would help.

Dark gnomes and gremlins are too small to use bows and crossbows. They really do have things tough, at the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh in that case... uh, just the arrows?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh in that case... uh, just the arrows?

Hey melee-bolt users can 2 hit ko a yeti in full iron armor, sounds like a good plan.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Thirty-Seven:siren:

Match Thirty-Seven, Herp son of Derp (PantlessBadger) vs. Nitram (Klokwurk)

Herp son of Derp is a dwarf warrior armed with a silver maul and armored with an iron helm and steel mail. Nitram, minotaur, wields an iron halberd in one hand and an oak shield in the other. He wears a small copper cap. Neither gladiator seems especially well-equipped to harm the other- let's see how things go!

The battle begins, and each warrior rushes out of their respective corner! Dwarf and minotaur match each other step for step, Herp apparently slowed somewhat by his disproportionately large weapon. They meet center-ring, and Nitram takes the first swing! Herp leaps to avoid the minotaur's onslaught!

Herp reengages, but the quick minotaur forces him to dodge once more, then again! The dwarf is doing well to stay on his feet, but surely he'll have to put together an offensive of his own if he hopes to win this! Finally, Herp takes the opportunity to swing his maul, but Nitram simply removes himself from the huge weapon's path.

Now Nitram charges his smaller opponent, missing again, but finally succeeding in knocking the dwarf to the ground. For a moment, Herp is stunned, and Nitram slashes at him with his halberd- but Herp's steel mail resists the stroke with ease, and the dwarf recovers sufficiently to parry the following attack. But Herp isn't quite fast enough to parry the next blow, and the iron spear point rips through his right hand, rendering it useless!

Herp stumbles to his feet, now attempting to hold up his maul with a single working hand. He jumps away from Nitram's next charge, then swings at the bull-man with all his might- but misses. Nitram manages to nick the dwarf's arm with a slash of his heavy weapon. Herp tries to go on the offensive once more, but the sluggish heft of his maul fails to come anywhere near his tormentor.

Nitram succeeds in forcing Herp back to the ground, then slashes at the dwarf's leg, delivering a shallow wound. The minotaur then gores the weakening dwarf before slashing off his remaining useful hand! Herp is no longer able to wield his maul, and goes down shortly to a flurry of thrusts and kicks, finished off by a decapitating jab to the head.

Combat Log

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Save for a few upsets, the larger enemy is doing a number on his or her smaller opponents.

Maybe the rebalancing that happened in the last round erred on the larger advantage too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Poor, poor Herp, Derp will be so very sad to learn of his sons demise :smith:

PS: Big guy supremacy! Hurray!

• Locked thread