Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yall getting all uppity about cages up in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Dangerllama posted:

You shouldn't be putting it high from the point either way. Beer league, drop-in, or whatever: If your shot goes high enough to hit someone in the face, you're an rear end in a top hat (not anyone in this thread, just in general).

If your shot goes high enough to hit someone in the face, you're also less likely to generate a scoring opportunity. The whole rational behind a slapper from the point is to generate a redirection or rebound chance, for which the shot should be less than a foot above the ice, and preferably on it.

Half the time in beer league when somebody loads up the back-scratcher he'll miss the net and give the other team an easy breakout because the puck will wrap around the boards and clear the zone.

So don't take high slap shots from the point. It makes you both an rear end in a top hat and a bad hockey player.

Also, just chiming in to say that I don't give a poo poo what you do or don't wear over your face.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

If your shot goes high enough to hit someone in the face, you're also less likely to generate a scoring opportunity. The whole rational behind a slapper from the point is to generate a redirection or rebound chance, for which the shot should be less than a foot above the ice, and preferably on it.

Half the time in beer league when somebody loads up the back-scratcher he'll miss the net and give the other team an easy breakout because the puck will wrap around the boards and clear the zone.

So don't take high slap shots from the point. It makes you both an rear end in a top hat and a bad hockey player.

Also, just chiming in to say that I don't give a poo poo what you do or don't wear over your face.
Notice that your USA hockey fee went up $5 bucks this year? Maybe if assholes wore cages and took other precautions that are a no brainer, the fee wouldn't be constantly increasing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vital Signs posted:

Notice that your USA hockey fee went up $5 bucks this year? Maybe if assholes wore cages and took other precautions that are a no brainer, the fee wouldn't be constantly increasing.

You seem really angry about this. I would say you should pick a fight with a guy who doesn't wear a cage but that really isn't very sporting.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

You seem really angry about this. I would say you should pick a fight with a guy who doesn't wear a cage but that really isn't very sporting.

I chuckle when a guy grabs another guys cage and ragdolls him around.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'm not angry. I just cannot seem to process why people do not wear cages. Injuries suck, and I'm always for avoiding them if possible.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Vital Signs posted:

I... fail to see what this had to do with the strategy of point shots.

But hell I'm game. First, what evidence do you have that this 41¢/month increase was the result of facial injuries—from increased insurance premiums or whatever (which, as I recall, are usually assessed separately when you enroll in a league)? Might it also have been something unrelated? Like money spent revamping the coaching education program? Hell, I don't know, but I can imagine a lot of reasons for a $5 increase. It seems that you're looking very hard for a way that other people not wearing cages influences you in order to ground your dislike for them in something rational, but if I were you I'd just embrace the irrational dislike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Green Submarine posted:

I'm sort of in the same boat. It's hockey and inherently dangerous with pucks, skates, and sticks flying around. If a player chooses not to wear a cage it's their choice and they understand the consequences.

Slapshots are part of the game. Most guys wont take one if someone is standing in front of them, but if they have a clear lane to take a shot and someone steps in front of it to block the shot, its not the shooters fault for shooting the puck. The guy didn't have to block the shot.

As for high shots, if you cant keep your shot down you shouldnt be shooting from the point but accidents happen, some shots go high, some get deflected and from everything I've seen, most injuries dont come from people taking slapshots.

All of the chipped teeth and facial lacerations I've witnessed have come from battles in front of the net, two people playing for the puck, or deflected pucks from posts/sticks/etc. Most of it is from accidents and incidental contact such as players falling to the ice and receiving a wayward stick to the mouth.

Don't be a dick and shoot from the point if you cant keep your shots down but at the same time, shots are part of the game and accidents happen. Personal responsibility is the name of the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think my dad once made a similar argument about "mexicans" and his car insurance.

I think the lesson here is anything you have an irrational hatred of increases your insurance premiums.

edit - Ryan Seacrest made my renter's insurance go up

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

xzzy posted:

I'd hold off on a slap shot if the guy in front of me didn't have a cage, but I'd resent him forever for it.

Cage adds almost nothing to the cost of the helmet, doesn't limit vision at all, and prevents some really serious injuries. Macho dudes who refuse to wear one are the scum of the ice. :colbert:
And for those who say the cage does interfere with their vision, there's the shield/cage combo! For bonus points, you get to look like a villain from The Mighty Ducks.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Robo-Pope posted:

And for those who say the cage does interfere with their vision, there's the shield/cage combo! For bonus points, you get to look like a villain from The Mighty Ducks.

ugh those things are the worst. At least with a cage you can wipe your face through the bars. The first time I played indoor I was a little awkward with the whole helmet/cage setup (never used one when I shot around outside). Now I can barely even tell its on.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I play you tonight Coldwind. Going to try to pepper the gently caress out you (you play goal right?) but I'm bad... :woop:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Green Submarine posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the high slapshots from the point thing either. I see people do it all the time and all I think is that they probably just learned how to raise a slapshot and feel the need to show that off.

Below the knees man, that's how the puck is going to go in the net....

I'm buying a visor for reffing. I'll probably wear it during women's hockey and in roller too. v:shobon:v

Definitely a cage for beer league though. Those dudes have no control over their sticks or the puck and I am at the perfect height (short) for some big dumb idiot who can't keep his stick down on the ice while he's skating to nail in the face with it.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 16, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Anyone play hockey out in Vegas? I just accepted a job offer there.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Two guys on my beerleague team wear visors only, one is the team's leading scorer, youngest member, and cocky as hell. I'm pretty certain he only wears the visor because his girlfriend and friends come to the games sometimes and he wants to look cool. The other is a new guy, who came down from rural Canada and he said something about the culture being different there and no one wearing full cages. He's also about 6'6" on skates so I guess the likelihood of him getting hit by a shot or errant stick is slightly lower.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Vital Signs posted:

Injuries suck, and I'm always for avoiding them if possible.

So my last response was kind of glib. This is my serious response. I'll start with a question and an anecdote.

The question is, do you wear a neck guard? I'm guessing the answer is no, but even if you do, the following argument still holds, because the corollary is whether you get equally worked up about other people not wearing neck guards, and I have to believe the answer to that is no.

So the anecdote: this past Tuesday at pickup I got hit in the neck. I was driving to the net, shimmied away from an attempted stick lift, and caught some lumber across the throat. It was startling enough for me to stop and head to the bench, but the consequences stopped at the livid mark it left.

Despite that, I'm not going to start wearing a neck guard. For me, it falls within the range of acceptable risk. That's a judgement every player has to make, and every (adult) player, in my mind, should have the latitude to make it. Hockey always involves a risk of injury. Equipment can manage that risk, but equipment can also be inconvenient. I believe there is, and should be, a range in which adults should be able to decide how to balance risk and convenience.

Admittedly, some of what people consider acceptable risk is cultural. So where twenty years ago, maybe not wearing a helmet was acceptable risk, that isn't the case today, and that's reflected in various arena and hockey governing body policies. We haven't had the same cultural transition with neck protection, despite a couple of grisly incidents which have been more life-threatening than the vast majority of facial injuries. Personally, I'm ok with that decision being based, in part, on cultural norms. That's always going to be the case, even if you try to pull in sophisticated statistical analysis to determine what injuries are most likely in what contexts. Where you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable risk is always going to be an arbitrary decision. Different people are going to draw it in different places, and I'm willing to pay five extra dollars to allow them, and me, the latitude to make that decision on their own.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the high slapshots from the point thing either. I see people do it all the time and all I think is that they probably just learned how to raise a slapshot and feel the need to show that off.

Below the knees man, that's how the puck is going to go in the net....

They probably don't know how to control it yet. When I first got the mechanics of the slapshot down I couldn't shoot it anywhere BUT high.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah, can't say I always have the greatest of control. I love it when I try and shoot a "half slap shot" (where my stick only comes back to my knee caps or so with a slow 'swing') from the point--intending to keep it low and relatively slow--and it ends up sailing chest high. :downs:

Gio fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 16, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

Yeah, can't say I always have the greatest of control. I love it when I try and shoot a "half slap shot" (where my stick only comes back to my knee caps or so with a slow 'swing') from the point--intending to keep it low and relatively slow--and it ends up sailing chest high. :downs:

Height is determined like 95% by the followthrough. if you open the face of the blade it will (or should if you are shooting properly) go up, closed blade it stays on the ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Heh, looks like the captains of my new team went and bought jerseys for the team without talking to anyone. Interested to see what they came up with.

First game Sunday at 10:10 PM :negative:

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

Heh, looks like the captains of my new team went and bought jerseys for the team without talking to anyone. Interested to see what they came up with.

First game Sunday at 10:10 PM :negative:

Wait until you have an 11:30PM game Sunday and Wednesday in the same week. That is true pain.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

bewbies posted:

I think my dad once made a similar argument about "mexicans" and his car insurance.

I think the lesson here is anything you have an irrational hatred of increases your insurance premiums.

edit - Ryan Seacrest made my renter's insurance go up
Wow, thanks for taking it 100% out of context and comparing me to a racist.

I guess I probably pushed my distaste for not wearing a cage a little too far. No, I don't have evidence that would prove that the fee's go up due to face injuries, nor do I know the real reason the fee got raised. I can, however, think of no real con to enforcing a cage policy. I guess I was just really bummed out to see a guy get seriously hosed up right in front of me, and I'd like to avoid seeing a friend/teammate go through that again. I understand that we are adults, and that we should thus have the right to choose our personal safety, but at the same time I notice most people with visors are young kids who have just gotten out of youth hockey and are excited to not have to wear a cage. So, in closing... I have no real defense to it, aside from my own personal thoughts on the matter. It's just me trying to look out for my hockey buddies both local and across the world. They are good people for the most part, and I hate to hear about injuries.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 17, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

lizardking posted:

Wait until you have an 11:30PM game Sunday and Wednesday in the same week. That is true pain.

One of the things I hate about two teams is back to back late night games. I have a game at 9:45 Monday 10:30 Tuesday..

One time I drank an energy drink before a 10:15 game and that was a bad idea. I fell asleep at 5am, woke up at 6:30 emailed my boss to tell him I was "sick" and slept to 1pm.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

lizardking posted:

Luckily my league doesn't (theoretically) schedule games later than 10:30 :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Luckily my league doesn't (theoretically) schedule games later than 10:30 :smug:
My rink schedules everything around the figure skaters. :negative:

The place is owned and run by Chelios' cousin too, either he's got wacky priorities or hockey ain't paying the bills.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

My rink schedules everything around the figure skaters. :negative:

The place is owned and run by Chelios' cousin too, either he's got wacky priorities or hockey ain't paying the bills.

Do you play at the ice cube as well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know what the ice cube is, so I'll have to say 'no.'

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

I don't know what the ice cube is, so I'll have to say 'no.'

Rink in Ann Arbor. Figure skaters also get the best ice time here.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Figure skaters get the best ice time everywhere. News at 11

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Seems like every time I go to the rink proshop in the evening there's a whole sheet with like, 3 figure skaters on it. How is that possibly economical for the rink? If they had drop-in at that time they'd get 40 skaters. :argh:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Figure skaters all have rich parents, reason number 13581 why it is a stupid sport.

Also I'd much rather have an 11pm game versus the 5am practices I had to go to growing up. Especially when they were at the outdoor rink. That was some unpleasant poo poo. Kudos to dad for dealing with it.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I'm already over this season..

On the team I run I hosed up the league fees when I did the roster.. I explained to our goalie that he had to pay more.. he was cool with it but when it was time he couldnt afford to pay a full share and I got stuck paying for half his season.

On another team I play PT with not everyone paid in time so I got stuck paying an extra $30.

So I paid $1135 for 1.5 seasons of hockey:smith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

I'm already over this season..

On the team I run I hosed up the league fees when I did the roster.. I explained to our goalie that he had to pay more.. he was cool with it but when it was time he couldnt afford to pay a full share and I got stuck paying for half his season.

On another team I play PT with not everyone paid in time so I got stuck paying an extra $30.

Eek. I'm definitely not going to do group pay with my team, when our second season roles around, I'm just going to make everyone pay the rink directly. It may cost a little more per player, but it seems like it would save me from some major headaches/expenses.

I'm doing ok being a captain so far, people are being good about telling when they won't be able to make games, but I'm still waiting to see who will step up and be my assistant captain, since it's hard for me to handle the on ice duties from the net. I'm sure as the season wears on, it will be harder to keep track of everyone and we'll start getting some unannounced no shows.

We also have one guy on the team that is bringing jerseys next week, so I should have a good idea by then if they'll work for us or if we still want to get our own jerseys. It does seem like most of the guys want new uniforms though and I've got the pricing down to about $50 each for RBK edge jerseys with a sewn on logo and numbers.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Fuckin ouch man, I think our fees work out to like $520/person or something for 26 games.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

poser posted:

Haha I paid $913 for 1 season of hockey, and thats the normal price! :australia:

The saddest thing though is that my season finished yesterday with a semi-final loss...

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

lizardking posted:

Do you play at the ice cube as well?
A2ice3 all day.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

A2ice3 all day.

Awww yeaaaa. 7-2 win tonight with 1 goal 1 assist in d2 AND I didn't puke. Hellz to the yeah.

Except 5 days of hockey in one week seems to have aggravated my old groin injury from last year so time for a little break. Hopefully I am good to go by Wednesday.

lizardking fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 18, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Dude what??? You guys make your goalie pay to be on the team?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So apparently this Draper blade magically fixed my slapshot. And by fixed I mean it's not completely useless anymore. I can actually get some lift on it for those wicked point shots to scrubs in visors.

And the Warrior lie is definitely different than Bauers. Draper is a 5 and my Bauer Backstrom is a 6 and they're the exact same angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

lizardking posted:

I play you tonight Coldwind. Going to try to pepper the gently caress out you (you play goal right?) but I'm bad... :woop:
Sorry i didn't check this before the game. No I wasn't playing goal.