Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Was anyone expecting it to be bad?

My only complaint is that it's so decompressed that the story ends just as it gets interesting.

Though the letters from pissed off racists in the back kind of make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed the hell out of that issue. I'm very much looking forward to the next issue. Not quite as good as Ultimates, but still good.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I really really wanted to like Ultimate Spidey, but there was absolutely no hook outside of Pichelli's gorgeous art. I really have no deeper insight into Miles as a character then I did 3 days ago and the only thing about the issue that I want to see developed is the relationship between his father and his uncle. It was basically 4 dollars for a decompressed 20 page comic, of which 6 of those pages were directly lifted from a movie I hate.

Very disappointing. I hope the next issue gives me a reason to care.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

etcetera08 posted:

Woah, has Marvel been doing same day digital for a lot of new books? The new Spider-man is already on Comixology, meaning they got at least one more sale as I otherwise wouldn't have bought it.

Now if only Marvel in Comixology was compatible with Android!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wow, this new 22 page bullshit is going to make some people go trade only.

Hell, it wasn't even 22 pages of story with the cover, the next issue's cover taking up a whole page, and a letter's page.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I couldn't enjoy USM #1 at all. It never used to bother me before, but I swear Bendis' dialogue turns into a bigger parody of itself every time he writes a book. Seriously, just how many times can he have someone say something twice with -- with a pause in the middle.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Snoop Dogg as Ultimate Prowler?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I liked that the issue had no ads throughout the issue, but I didn't like that it was $4. I enjoyed the issue, but I'm still skeptical that the stories we'll get with this new Spider-man wouldn't have been just as great with Peter Parker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked it, but it did remind me that it took Bendis fiveor six issues to get Peter in the costume the first time around in Ultimate Spider-Man. God I hope that doesn't happen again (it will)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So USM#1 made me get back into buying a weekly comic after an absence of about, ooh, 8 years? Were they always this short?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Well in terms of page count it's no shorter than usual...

It's just Bendis' trademark decompression.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I can't help but feel that USM really benefits from being collected in trades, since the decompression doesn't matter as much in those.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I have a hard time giving a poo poo about this new Spider-Man, mostly because it's in the Ultimate universe and I've pretty much sworn off all things Ultimate entirely. That universe is kinda ruined for me at this point.

Now if they made a black\Hispanic Spider-Man in 616... that would be really cool. And way more ballsy, I like it when artists have guts and take a huge risk. I'm really big into the idea of superheroes retiring and passing the mantle onto a new hero, which is part of why I love the Bucky Cap a lot. I think it would be awesome if they started shifting more towards that over shifting timelines and DC's frequent reboots. Of course, this will never fly, because people always want the character they grew up with back, hence why Hal Jordan and Barry Allen came back. Plus, a minority Spider-Man makes a whole lot of sense to me. It really seems to jive with what the Spider-Man's all about.

13's a bit young though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

If I get fed up with the slow pace and decide to start buying in trades, that will at least give me an excuse to start picking up Demon Knights or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed it. We get a origin, establish Mile's ancillary cast and get a tiny bit of insight as to what makes him tick in the lottery scene.

I'd have been a lot happier if this had been a double sized issue, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

So USM#1 made me get back into buying a weekly comic after an absence of about, ooh, 8 years? Were they always this short?

22 pages and $4 is a new thing. I think some of the lower selling titles are still 32 and $3, but most of their A-list titles have moved on to 22 pages and $4.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Boy howdy there was some hateful bullshit on that letters page.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sion posted:

Boy howdy there was some hateful bullshit on that letters page.

Keep in mind that was just a small sample of the stuff that was tame enough to print, some of the comments that have shown up online were just downright sickening.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

Semper Fudge posted:

I really really wanted to like Ultimate Spidey, but there was absolutely no hook outside of Pichelli's gorgeous art. I really have no deeper insight into Miles as a character then I did 3 days ago and the only thing about the issue that I want to see developed is the relationship between his father and his uncle. It was basically 4 dollars for a decompressed 20 page comic, of which 6 of those pages were directly lifted from a movie I hate.

Very disappointing. I hope the next issue gives me a reason to care.

We get a bit of insight at least

His uncle seems to mysteriously get money from nowhere and miles doesn't have a problem with it because his uncle has drilled into him that you earn your way out of the slum through hard work all of your own and you should never trust getting something for free. His uncle is earning through hard work, Miles expresses his distaste that there were other kids in the high school lottery that worked just as hard if not harder to get there, he doesn't feel like he earned it, it feels wrong to him. We get the feeling he's a well grounded young man, though he's not necessarily completely black and white in his morality.

Also intrigued by his new powerset and the significance of the number 42 (just a metaphor to imply the spider picked him at random, just like he got picked at random for the great school?).

I'm used to Bendis' 6 issue story arcs from Vol.1, it was the same with the origin for peter and the story was stronger for it. I'm expecting good things. Definitely be reading more.

Also his uncle seems to be The Prowler

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dacap posted:

Keep in mind that was just a small sample of the stuff that was tame enough to print, some of the comments that have shown up online were just downright sickening.

I've not seen any and I'm frightened to ask but... Well, I'm a real rubbernecker. :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I wonder if the 42 is just a throw-away reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

I wonder if the 42 is just a throw-away reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

They used 42 in Civil War too. It was how many steps that Reed Richards and Tony Stark had in their plan to fix the world.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

They used 42 in Civil War too. It was how many steps that Reed Richards and Tony Stark had in their plan to fix the world.

I bet they had it down in like, 30, but they're just such huge nerds they decided to change it to 42.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Ultimate Spider-Man hit the ground running, IMO. One of the best things a first issue can ever do is gracefully establish a strong supporting cast. I'm already seriously endeared by Miles's family.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I like the supporting cast so far too, I hope they don't kill off one or both of his parents to try and mirror Peter. It'd be nice to set this Spider-Man apart by not having him be born from tragedy. Considering his uncle is The Prowler, I think it would be neat to have him take an active role in mentoring or training him early on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blind Sally posted:

This was my first thought.

Love Uncle Prowler, love his dad, love that the first power he discovers is invisibility. It's great how much of this is based on "how did Peter start off? Let's do the opposite."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

I bet they had it down in like, 30, but they're just such huge nerds they decided to change it to 42.

Nonsense. They probably read the books and go "this is all wrong/not really useful" then built their own Heart of Gold / Improbability Drive just because they could.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
For some reason, I hope Ultimate Prowler has no powers. Just a regular thief but one that knows how his costume-filled world works.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Dacap posted:

I like the supporting cast so far too, I hope they don't kill off one or both of his parents to try and mirror Peter. It'd be nice to set this Spider-Man apart by not having him be born from tragedy. Considering his uncle is The Prowler, I think it would be neat to have him take an active role in mentoring or training him early on.

They don't have to kill his parents to mirror Pete since Peter's death is supposed to be the "Uncle Ben moment" already.

In other words Peter died so they don't have to. He's like Jesus in that way.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So when does this issue actually take place?

The headline from the Bugle declaring Osborn as the Green Goblin, and the attack on the high school (in very, very early USM issues) as "a few months ago", and the article acting like Spider-Man's identity was still secret, it makes me think this takes place shortly after the first few arcs of USM.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The correct answer is "sometime between then and now."

It seems obvious to me that we are going to see Miles discovering his powers against the backdrop of Peter's big moments, only to refuse to use them. And by the time he realizes that he wants to use his powers as a hero, Peter is dead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

notthegoatseguy posted:

So when does this issue actually take place?

The headline from the Bugle declaring Osborn as the Green Goblin, and the attack on the high school (in very, very early USM issues) as "a few months ago", and the article acting like Spider-Man's identity was still secret, it makes me think this takes place shortly after the first few arcs of USM.
That makes sense. I haven't read Ultimate Comics since well before Ultimatum even started, so hearing them refer to stuff that happened around the time I stopped reading was a bit weird.

So by the time he comes of age, the new Spider-Man should be around 15 or 16, which is cool. I loved USM when it started, and I loved when they toyed with Spider-Man's powers in Feral and through Civil War. I'm all for the new Spider-Man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

So by the time he comes of age, the new Spider-Man should be around 15 or 16, which is cool. I loved USM when it started, and I loved when they toyed with Spider-Man's powers in Feral and through Civil War. I'm all for the new Spider-Man.

What do you mean by this? He'll still be 13 unless his birthday falls between when he got his powers and Peter died. Peter's entire career as Spider-Man only lasted about a year, give or take.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

What do you mean by this? He'll still be 13 unless his birthday falls between when he got his powers and Peter died. Peter's entire career as Spider-Man only lasted about a year, give or take.

That's somewhat up in the air due to Bendis's very liberal use of time. Bendis said that in USM a year passed for every 100 issues. It's probably been closer to 18 or 20 months. Peter's 16th birthday in #155 should have actually been his 17th because well before Ultimatum around issue 100 he was said to be coming up on his 16th birthday. Bendis also said in interviews that Peter was 16 during Ultimatum. And after Spider-Man Requiem there was a six month jump before Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. So yeah, Bendis.

Then of course there's the very first page of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 where Peter actually tells us his age...

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 16, 2011

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
Honestly I don't think we're going to get much out of Miles being 13.

What's the difference between 13 year old Spidey and 16 year old? Presuming a few things about Miles' personality before they're ever stated...

Neither have cars, neither want to drink, Miles is probably slightly less interested in girls, both are in school in NY, both are extremely inexperienced with life but are thrown into absurd situations.

Is the big difference going to be more the relationship with the parents then? That would follow the stressing of the first issue but it becomes "young superhero with parents who won't approve" which isn't that far off from the original Peter/Aunt May scenario. Putting the stress on "where have you been?!!?" is not really giving us a different or better story.

There's so much stress on his age, but I just don't see Bendis taking proper advantage of it and it will likely be ignored largely after the first 12-24 issues or so and we'll just be left with the same Ultimate Spider-Man but with a different skin color.

Issue 1 didn't give me a lot of confidence and nothing Bendis has been writing gives me a lot of confidence anymore that he can bring out what he needs to to make this work.

Also, how long was that spider there? If it was 11 months, why didn't it mate with other spiders? Why aren't there a ton of mutated spiders running around giving people powers or cancer?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

invalid user posted:

Also, how long was that spider there? If it was 11 months, why didn't it mate with other spiders? Why aren't there a ton of mutated spiders running around giving people powers or cancer?

Mutant, hybrids, mutated and genetically engineered species are often sterile.

ALSO, COMIC BOOKS.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

...Wait, I thought Ultimate Spider-Man started in like 2001. Ten years is an awful long time for his age to tick up only one even for Superhero comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

invalid user posted:

Well again there's the loose use of time we usually get from Bendis. We know that the spider was engineered 11 months prior to some point. Is it prior to the bite? Prior to the theft? Prior to now? Who knows really, just learn to ignore time markers from Bendis.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Don't forget there was 6 months time between Ultimatum and the "Ultimate Comics" rebrand, so even assuming 1 year per ~100 issues, that's a year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Don't forget there was 6 months time between Ultimatum and the "Ultimate Comics" rebrand, so even assuming 1 year per ~100 issues, that's a year and a half.

Yeah, I mentioned that above. That along with the other stuff means it probably was about the time for him to turn 17, but the banner at his party said 16.

• Locked thread