Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

routenull0 posted:

In a bit of an odd situation; I have an original iPhone that I want to use in my son's room as a ipod sitting in a speaker dock.

Problem is I do not have a SIM card to use to activate it in iTunes, as I've upgraded to a 3GS and then a 4 and no longer have a SIM that will work.

It is currently running 3.1.3 I believe, but none of the jailbreak tools (redsn0w, spirit) seem to work.

I just want to be able to jailbreak it to load it up with MP3 to play for him while putting him to sleep.

Any help would be great.

NVM, had to go way back to redsn0w 0.9.3 to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Can someone tell me what app/mod I need to display the date at the top next to the time, an a percentage battery in the top right indicator? I used to have them but I don't recall how.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

RustyTrombone posted:

Can someone tell me what app/mod I need to display the date at the top next to the time, an a percentage battery in the top right indicator? I used to have them but I don't recall how.
SBSettings.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeph posted:

SBSettings.

gently caress, I have that too! I didn't see that little options thing. Thanks!!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Musclenerd visited Apple's headquarters. Good for him, and I hope it's about a job, but sucks for the JB community!

Wasn't Comex also hired a while ago?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Comex is an intern.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Musclenerd visited Apple's headquarters. Good for him, and I hope it's about a job, but sucks for the JB community!

Wasn't Comex also hired a while ago?

I think Apple has decided that the best way to kill jailbreaking is to cut off its head (and then hire its head to work for them).

It'll be interesting to see if people continue to develop jailbreaks after iOS5 is released.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think I could ALMOST give up JB, except I *really* love 3G Unrestrictor. I'd lament the loss of BiteSMS functionality, but yeah, bottom line, 3G Unrestrictor is the poo poo.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
biteSMS makes a jailbreak necessary.

Also root and ssh access is pretty nice to just have if you ever want it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

maduin posted:

I think Apple has decided that the best way to kill jailbreaking is to cut off its head (and then hire its head to work for them).

It'll be interesting to see if people continue to develop jailbreaks after iOS5 is released.

I totally think it's a smart move for Apple. I just formatted my phone fresh today and decided to finally not give a poo poo about jailbreaking. Everything is just fine, and even losing BiteSMS isn't that bad - it just switches panes to Messages.app, I write my message, and then go back to whatever I was doing. It wasn't a problem at all, and I think I had it hyped in my head that BiteSMS was --sooo-- much better.

After watching the iOS5 video on Apple.com, I'm even more convinced that although there isn't a "reply inside an app" function, the fact that it pops up on the top of the screen so I know if it's urgent or not is good enough.

Add to the fact that the camera button is now on the lock screen, so I don't need to worry about holding Home for 3 seconds (which sometimes doesn't work, or works when I don't want it to) and a Goon made app that turns the flashlight on in 2 seconds, I just don't give a poo poo.

SBSettings is great, but I don't use it on a day to day basis, so whatever.

I dunno, maybe it's just the "younger" nerd dying in me. I'm getting less and less interested in tweaking/tinkering/missing out on updates because I have to wait for pro-bono hackers to implement these features, and I Just Want Things To Work.

Going to a fresh install with only Apple approved software/hooks/whatever else is really nice. Knowing I can just update iTunes or my phone as soon as iOS5 comes out is also awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I like the idea of using customized icons and lockscreens though -- losing that sucks because I eventually get bored of the same old poo poo all the time. Changing the background doesn't help.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lockinfo is the only thing I still jailbreak for; hopefully ios5 makes it unnecessary too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

withak posted:

Lockinfo is the only thing I still jailbreak for; hopefully ios5 makes it unnecessary too.

This plus DisplayOut.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I honestly would switch to a Droid if I didn't have the phone and SMS Google Voice extensions.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly would switch to a Droid if I didn't have the phone and SMS Google Voice extensions.
Heathen.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My friend, co-worker(s), and I couldn't even consider using anything Android. We use our devices (iPhones and iPads) for work (much of it remote management), and the absolute horrible VPN support in Android is an immediate show-stopper. If you want a toy that you can tweak and hack 24/7, then go with Android. If you want something that "just works" you have to go with iOS. It's not a matter of personal preference, Android simply doesn't even compare to iOS at the moment (we've even had meetings at work discussing this issue). The smooth interface, speedy performance, system stability, and amazing battery life of iOS devices compared to Android are pretty sweet, as well. Hackery through jailbreaking iOS has always been the icing on the cake. Even with the loss of jailbreaking, iOS is still what most people (by far) would be happier with. Not everyone wants a shittier device just for the "freedom" to spend hours loading custom ROMs and searching Google all day on how to do or fix something.

MuscleNerd posted this on Twitter:

quote:

Will be pushing out a major redsn0w feature upgrade before my trip to Korea: http://is.gd/PMAdT1 (and look, no IPSW selection button!)

He mentions the lack of IPSW (it downloads only tiny bits of required data from Apple, as needed), but the big thing seems to be the "uploads to Cydia" functionality for local SHSH copies. I had been waiting for this for a long time. Cydia had been missing about half a dozen of my SHSH blobs.

I had the unfortunate accident of losing all my local 4.3.3 backups for all the iPad 2s that I manage. Querying Cydia resulted in getting just a 4.3.1 blob for one of the iPad 2s (which is useless). No other SHSH blob has made it to Cydia for my iPads. If something like this redsn0w had come out a month ago, I'd already have ALL my SHSH blobs uploaded to Cydia. I have a lot that Cydia doesn't have.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Since tethered jailbreak enables custom software on the ios, including low level stuff like afc2add and appsync, etc, how come tethered jailbreaks can't enable the further upgrade to untethered jailbreaks?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
There's some cursed encrypted chip that only allows signed code on boot.

A jailbreak is just cracking something to get root once the device has booted. It's a whole new thing to crack the boot process that goes deeper than simply rooting the device.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

Since tethered jailbreak enables custom software on the ios, including low level stuff like afc2add and appsync, etc, how come tethered jailbreaks can't enable the further upgrade to untethered jailbreaks?

Like Xenomorph said, there are two distinct stages to the security on the phone. Causing shady stuff to happen at boot when plugged in to a computer (the tethered part) is apparently a totally different kind of effort than causing shady stuff to happen after you have control of the bootup process. The tethered part is I think more of a function of hardware which Apple can't fix without releasing a new phone model (or possible some kind of low-level firmware update?). The untethered part Apple can fix any time they like with an OS update.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 17, 2011

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Probably answered a million times already: If I'm running iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4, is there any way I can just upgrade to 4.3.3?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

McJogurt posted:

Probably answered a million times already: If I'm running iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4, is there any way I can just upgrade to 4.3.3?

If you have access to your 4.3.3 SHSH blob, then YES.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
I've never upgraded past 4.1, so... no?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

McJogurt posted:

You don't have to upgrade to save your blobs but you obviously didn't so no.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
http://www.ifans.com/blog/29375/

Apparently there are currently five iOS 5 exploits, so things are really looking good for an ios5 jailbreak at the moment.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

McJogurt posted:

Load up Tiny Umbrella and query Cydia for SHSH. If it downloads 4.3.3, you're good to go.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I jailbroke my iphone last night, thanks to the OP it was very easy. I have a question regarding backups, though.

If I back up my iphone now that it's jailbroken, does it just backup the non-cydia stuff? So I can backup any time now, and if I want to remove the jailbreak I just do a restore?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
All the JB data gets backed up along with official apps. A restore will un-JB but there will still be JB-related data left behind. The only way to un-JB without leaving traces is to wipe the phone and reinstall everything from scratch without using your backup.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

withak posted:

All the JB data gets backed up along with official apps. A restore will un-JB but there will still be JB-related data left behind. The only way to un-JB without leaving traces is to wipe the phone and reinstall everything from scratch without using your backup.

So if someone needs to bring their JB iphone into the Apple store for service, do they wipe it clean before going in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It probably depends on what the service is. If you're having some hardware issues then just delete Cydia.app or hide it in some folder on the third page or something and make sure you don't have any obvious JB software running like SBSettings or some custom theme or something.

When I took my phone in for a hardware issue they didn't really look at the OS in any detail that I could see.

If you think they'll be poking around the OS then sure, it might be safer to just wipe it stock.

All that being said, it can't hurt to play it safe. Remember that your data is just a restore away so if you're going in for service you might as well just roll back to stock.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 20, 2011

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for the info! I Had one other question: what is so useful about SBSettings? I downloaded it because it is recommended in the OP, just can't really see what I'd use it for.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

triplexpac posted:

Thanks for the info! I Had one other question: what is so useful about SBSettings? I downloaded it because it is recommended in the OP, just can't really see what I'd use it for.

Quickly turn wifi, bluetooth, location services on/off are what I mainly used it for. If you need to do a quick respring it's good for that too. Plus there are extensions for it that add to it, like turning off certain jailbreak tweaks like Activator, etc. It's actually one of the few things I miss on iOS5.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

triplexpac posted:

Quick access to brightness, quick access to wifi enable/disable, Remove BG if you have a 3GS like me and don't like poo poo being in the background, and quick access to a respring if something is acting funky.

EC fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 20, 2011

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!

EC posted:

quick access to wife enable/disable

Is there anything the iPhone can't do? Here's hoping Apple integrates this feature into iOS5!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I jailbroke my wife and now she has no warranty :(

also, fixed

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Warranty is probably the last thing you need to worry about right now :ohdear:

Also you can always restore your phone by doing a DFU restore with stock firmware. If you can't do that, they it probably means you have a bigger problem and unlikely for them to verify your jailbreaking status anyway.

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm on 4.2.1 trying to jailbreak to 4.3.3 using PwnageTool 4.3.3.1 but every time I try to restore, it says my device is not eligible. I'd like to jailbreak using jailbreakme but it doesnt work on 4.2.1 and I can't figure out how to upgrade to 4.3.3 :(

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Waffle Zone posted:

I'm on 4.2.1 trying to jailbreak to 4.3.3 using PwnageTool 4.3.3.1 but every time I try to restore, it says my device is not eligible. I'd like to jailbreak using jailbreakme but it doesnt work on 4.2.1 and I can't figure out how to upgrade to 4.3.3 :(

Do you have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 saved?

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Duke posted:

Do you have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 saved?

No, and I literally just read about that a second ago. So, I guess I'm boned even though my phone is not past 4.3.3. Do I have any untethered options?

Edit: iPhone 3GS and according to jailbreakmatrix it looks like I have no options at all :(

Waffle Zone fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 21, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Waffle Zone posted:

No, and I literally just read about that a second ago. So, I guess I'm boned even though my phone is not past 4.3.3. Do I have any untethered options?

Edit: iPhone 3GS and according to jailbreakmatrix it looks like I have no options at all :(

huh?

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.2.1&device=iphone3

"Your iPhone 3GS on firmware 4.2.1 has the following jailbreak options.

You are in luck. There is an untethered jailbreak solution for your device. The tools are listed below, click on the name to view the guide.

- Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 (Windows)* preserves baseband
- Greenpois0n RC6.1 (Windows) (Mac)
- Pwnage Tool 4.2 (Mac)* preserves baseband
- Greenpois0n RC5.2 (Windows) (Mac)
- Redsn0w 0.9.6rc07 (Windows) (Mac)

Unlockers READ THIS ! If you plan on unlocking your iPhone using Ultrasn0w you must upgrade your firmware using software that supports "preserving baseband", this feature is included in the PwnageTool & Snowbreeze bundles. Failure to upgrade in this manner or upgrading your iPhone using stock iTunes firmware may compromise your current or future unlock possibility. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But, I thought iTunes won't let me restore 4.2.1 unless I have the SHSH blob and my phone is not currently jailbroken so I cannot get it.

Edit: I'm going to try using PwnageTool for 4.2.1 before I ask for help again.

Edit2: Yeah, I get the same error for jailbreaking 4.2.1 in PwnageTool.

Waffle Zone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 21, 2011

• Locked thread