Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Negative levels were poo poo nasty, you lose
5 hp per
-1 skill penalty per
-1 penalty to attacks per
Prepared spells of the highest level if you lose the level needed to cast them.
Your caster level also takes a hit, so the duration of your spells goes down
I forget if it affected saving throws or not.
Also if you gain negative levels equal to your current level, you die- no save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
And turn into a wight. Don't forget that. This makes handing good-aligned commoners an unholy arrow* a viable and convenient method of making an undead horde. And you can re-use the arrow.

*Creatures holding a weapon of an opposed alignment have a temporary negative level while they hold it. It normally goes away once you drop it, but if a 1 HD commoner loses his only level, instant wight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm disappointed that Celestial Tree Sloth Attacks aren't a real thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They are, it just doesn't seem like a wise option in the middle of battle

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vicissitude posted:

And turn into a wight. Don't forget that. This makes handing good-aligned commoners an unholy arrow* a viable and convenient method of making an undead horde. And you can re-use the arrow.

*Creatures holding a weapon of an opposed alignment have a temporary negative level while they hold it. It normally goes away once you drop it, but if a 1 HD commoner loses his only level, instant wight.

The trick there seems to be finding good-aligned commoners, because I imagine the majority of them would be neutral or lawful neutral. Had they any grand moral imperative, I imagine they probably would have struck off to try and help people or change the world already.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put them all in a line and you can even launch the arrow.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cabbit posted:

The trick there seems to be finding good-aligned commoners, because I imagine the majority of them would be neutral or lawful neutral. Had they any grand moral imperative, I imagine they probably would have struck off to try and help people or change the world already.

You just have to poop all over my fun, don't you, Cabbit?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Put them all in a line and you can even launch the arrow.

That would kill them with damage, not a negative level. No free undead minions. :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not like that. Unholy arrow railgun that creates wights even as it fires!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

That would kill them with damage, not a negative level. No free undead minions. :(

Handing something to someone is a free action, so you can have commoners pass the arrow to each other down a line. Since you can have an essentially limitless amount of free actions in a round, the arrow can cover the distance of like 20,000 commoners in under 6 seconds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cabbit posted:

The 3.5 PHB does say that humans "Trend towards no alignment, not even neutral." So about 33% are good. D&D measures intentions as well as actions for the purposes of alignment (sometimes).

So the Wight-making should be pretty simple, find literally any village and you have a few dozen wights easily.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
:words:

Geez guys, do we have to get into the intent of the rule? Handing them an arrow makes a wight? I would laugh at someone who hands me that much cheese, and make them roll inititive for a full on redneck treant anal attack.

Look what you made me do. I had to comment on the derail. gently caress.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TampaTango posted:

Geez guys, do we have to get into the intent of the rule? Handing them an arrow makes a wight? I would laugh at someone who hands me that much cheese, and make them roll inititive for a full on redneck treant anal attack.

You didn't have to. We were having fun discussing rules esoterica, and you decided to go crusader.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, really, celestial tree sloth attack is a great idea for hitting Sabine with; she's a fiend, after all, she's probably terrified of something completely passive from heaven.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Come on, when I see 7 new posts I expect one of you to have gotten on this already. I mean, standards, people. Sheesh.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Let's just get this fight over with, please?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Cleric's Feather Fall" got a good laugh out of me, I admit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Elan's summary of the situation was admirably clear and succinct and accurate.

He's slowly getting the hang of this "adventuring" thing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TampaTango posted:

This comic had a lich put a Symbol of Insanity on a bouncy ball. I honestly wouldn't even bat an eye if he used the unholy arrow trick. If you don't like creative and hilarious abuse of the 3.5 rules, you might not be reading the right comic.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TampaTango posted:

You're a bad DM.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Wow, I guess Thor really -does- have aching bunions! :v:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Let's just get this fight over with, please?

Why? It's good. Don't be a baby.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TampaTango posted:

and make them roll inititive for a full on redneck treant anal attack.

Funny you mention that.

My avatar/text refers to a game I GM'd, where a player was playing an ent-wife, and went on this ridiculous derail about getting pollinated. Several sessions later, I'd had enough and killed the player with a swarm of huge bees.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That has to rank in the top ten of creepy poo poo I've heard of happening in a session. What is it about D&D that brings out all the crazy fetishists.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toussaint Louverture posted:

That has to rank in the top ten of creepy poo poo I've heard of happening in a session. What is it about D&D that brings out all the crazy fetishists.

It's a game that encourages you to use your imagination to think of fantastic things. Some of those things will frighten people. :)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Several sessions later, I'd had enough and killed the player with a swarm of huge bees.

You mean "character" here, right? :ohdear:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Nipponophile posted:

ConfusedUs plays D&D for keeps.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Nipponophile posted:

You kids and your pansy limp-dick D&D. Back in my day when a thief failed to find a poison trap they found the player's corpse hanging from the rafters the next day.

If you can't take the damage, don't roll the dice, son :c00l:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
NO, NOT BLACK LEAF!!!

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 21, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just watch yourself. I'm a wanted man. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

D&D (2nd, 3rd, 3.5, and 4th editions), PDQ (and three variants), M&M 2e and 3e, the Dresden Files RPG, and FATAL

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0807.html

Wuh-oh, looks like somebody's starting to feel empathy...

I'm kind of antsy about Belkar getting character development, but on the other hand it's been a glacially slow process over the process of hundreds of comics and it's part of an overarching story that will come to an end some day. Soooo, from that perspective, I guess it's good that something's going to come of Belkar rather than just being the stab-happy CE Ranger from start to finish.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Some day? Try in this arc. He's reaching his prophesy'd death limit. Halfling gonna croak it.
And develop empathy right before he dies, but the rest refuse to raise him because they only knew him as a psychopathic murderer, not a psychopathic murderer with emotions and feelings :qq:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm confused by the second last panel. What does it mean?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm confused by the second last panel. What does it mean?

He was amused when the idiot half-dragon and his lizardman friend had to fight each other, and now he recognizes what it would be like to have to harm his own pet.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sefer posted:

He was amused when the idiot half-dragon and his lizardman friend had to fight each other, and now he recognizes what it would be like to have to harm his own pet.

Oh, right. I understand now.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Sefer posted:

Actually, he was never amused. This is a proper flashback showing why he broke up the fight and saved them by having Ian free the dinosaur.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
D'aaaawwwwww.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I've got a half-hearted request for this thread. I know we've rehosted the comic for years back when giantitp.com had downtime issues every time there was a new comic, I've even done it myself before. However, I haven't noticed any downtime with the site lately. I've heard Rich dislikes his comics being rehosted, so does anyone else think we might want to stop rehosting them in favor of linking to the comic when a new one comes up? I remember other comic authors in our shop talk thread holding similar issues with comic rehosting, although mostly with those awful conglomerate sites that take comics from all over with a ton of advertising.

Or we could just hold on to our habit too, whichever.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Manyorcas posted:

I've got a half-hearted request for this thread. I know we've rehosted the comic for years back when giantitp.com had downtime issues every time there was a new comic, I've even done it myself before. However, I haven't noticed any downtime with the site lately. I've heard Rich dislikes his comics being rehosted, so does anyone else think we might want to stop rehosting them in favor of linking to the comic when a new one comes up? I remember other comic authors in our shop talk thread holding similar issues with comic rehosting, although mostly with those awful conglomerate sites that take comics from all over with a ton of advertising.

Or we could just hold on to our habit too, whichever.

I think this is a good idea.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

The clean shaven half-giant agnostic quip made my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can someone link back the comic that this comic is referencing?