Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Climbing down the hours I need to know now:
Do the hands of time only rule this chapter?
This is the first time I have heard of Navajo knitting, and it's GENIUS. Yarn swap thread would be awesome! I have so much cotton I will never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Seriously, it's so simple and amazing. Why is this not in every knitting book I own?!

Here's a comparison shot. With plying it knit up on 3.75 needles fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Man, I really, really needed that skill about five years ago during my "Man, these cones on ebay are so cheap!" phase.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I just got my big box o' yarn! Tonight after work I'll take 'er home, sort it all out, take pictures and start up a yarn swap thread in SA Mart. (If no one else get there first, that is.)

It lives!

The Goony Goon Yarn Swap is now live in SA-Mart

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 15, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I want all of your ugly novelty yarns so bad. I have lots of ugly wool and sock yarn I could be sending to Wandering Knitter right now oh god oh god. Must take and post pictures tomorrow.

I've been using up my collection of ugly yarn and remnants from other projects to make hats. Ugly, ugly hats. They're for sale if, for some reason, you really like these terrible things.

All of them with one of my Jayne Cobb hats, lookin' ugly together:

I also seem to be a Jayne Cobb baby hat knitting fiend, or something. Started listing them on Etsy as "made to order" last week, and I've already sold three. Kind of makes me wish I'd done this sooner.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
On that note, does anyone have a Jayne Cobb pattern that uses worsted weight yarn instead of bulky? I can only find ones for bulky.

take my yarn mizufusion

unmeidestiny
Sep 25, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

On that note, does anyone have a Jayne Cobb pattern that uses worsted weight yarn instead of bulky? I can only find ones for bulky.

I found 3 on Ravelry.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

take my yarn mizufusion

I just sort of improvised a pattern, because I was using US9 needles and the pattern I had called for 10 or 11. Pretty easy to do if you know your gauge and can figure out how many stitches to cast on. After that you just knit a few rows of ribbing, then 3-4" in stockinette, switch to yellow, knit a few more inches, then work your decreases. I attached my earflaps by picking up the purl bumps inside the hat and knitting from them.

I will take your yarn soon wandering knitter

MentalStaples
Sep 25, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

A friend of mine graduated from her knitwear design degree this year (you can see her work here, it's beautiful), and because she's moving house she put up an open invite for people to come round to her flat and dig through piles of yarn and fabric.

I'm broke and up to my eyeballs in yarn and half finished knitting projects. So naturally, I went along and picked up, among other things, 4 large cones of handwash only lambswool.

Naturally, I am clueless as what to do with it. It's so fine, and knits up tiny. I made a swatch today on 2mm needles.

What should I do with it? I could never knit an adult item of clothing on it, I'd go insane. I think my options at the moment are taking up knitting for dolls, or maybe learning some lacy patterns and churning out some deliciously warm shawls/Shetland scarves.

Thoughts?

That yarn looks so gorgeous. Is there enough to knit a scarf or anything like that? A scarf wouldn't be too much though with it knitting up so small, I'm not sure how long that would take.

And her stuff is all so nice.

One thing I was wondering though is if you guys spell commissions differently over there? She spells it comissions on her website and her stuff looks so good, I'd love for her site to be perfect too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Yeah, there's a fairly large amount. Those cones when new have a kilogram on them and she hasn't used that much so there's enough to make a scarf easily. I keep forgetting that I have a green cone as well as the 2 different greys, charcoal and blue, and a small amount of baby blue too. I will probably be dividing it up in the Yarn swap thread when I get some time.

As for the spelling error- 90% of my university is made up of people who claim they have dyslexia, so she (and the person who made it) probably hasn't noticed it. The site is really new too, it's only been up 12 days. Thanks for the heads up, because I hadn't noticed it too.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Soak, is it worth the price?
I washed my new jumper with one of those mini-sample Soak packs and I found it worked really well and made it feel soft, but does regular wool wash from a supermarket work as well? I guess i'm worried about the harshness of the cleaning agents on pure wool and I don't want to screw anything up :(
The other challenge is that I live in Australia so my range of possible products is limited. To Soak or not to Soak?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Spiteful posted:

Soak, is it worth the price?
I washed my new jumper with one of those mini-sample Soak packs and I found it worked really well and made it feel soft, but does regular wool wash from a supermarket work as well? I guess i'm worried about the harshness of the cleaning agents on pure wool and I don't want to screw anything up :(
The other challenge is that I live in Australia so my range of possible products is limited. To Soak or not to Soak?

I use Soak because I hate rinsing (especially on big items) and I have a lot of lace that is all non-superwash. However, depending how much you need to wash and how often, it can get kind of pricey. Regular dish detergents are usually pretty safe, and the other really good thing is shampoo/conditioners. Most people go with conditioner if they go that route that I know and it does a pretty good job of softening and cleaning.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I taught myself a new technique this week- Entrelac. I love it, it's surprisingly simple, looks really impressive and makes such a gorgeous plush finish. I think I might source a really long 4mm circular needle and knit a huge scrap entrelac blanket, using up all my DK odds and ends.

Right now I'm just using left overs from a crochet rainbow blanket to make a woven-rainbow baby blanket.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

For those of you not paying attention it's time for a new issue of Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf11/

They even have a kiwi to keep Wandering Knitter happy.

And speak of the devil an Entrelac sweater too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Unhappy Meal posted:

For those of you not paying attention it's time for a new issue of Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf11/

Those microprocessor socks! I want them! Ooooh maybe my next challenge is going to have to be a trip to the fair isle...

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I actually like that blue cardigan. Not a horrible issue this time!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think it's been established that I am never happy. :colbert:

Unhappy Meal posted:

They even have a kiwi to keep Wandering Knitter happy.

:dong:

That being the said I like these fingerless gloves. Though all of those small buttons seem to be begging to get snagged on something. :ohdear:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Haha, Knitty is soooooo slow when they release a new issue, drives me nuts. I just want to see the pattern index....blaaaargghhhh

Hate Alda...what is that thing on your neck?

I'm interested to see what people do with the Takoma cardi - it's so...big. And really unflattering in all of those pictures. I really have no use for it where I am now, but growing up in the upper midwest, it is somewhat appealing on a visceral level. But...the sleeve-to-shoulder seams are so sloppy, and then they do a close-up on it and why isn't the 3-needle bind off flipped to the inside uuuugh!

Looove Auguste, Vignette...all the mitts and socks look pretty alright, the shawls are questionable on first glance but who knows.

Oh Knitty...they have so many good patterns but then sometimes you are just like......why did you pick THIS? You know they don't lack for pattern submissions.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That being the said I like these fingerless gloves. Though all of those small buttons seem to be begging to get snagged on something. :ohdear:

Oh, huh, they're worked flat...? I may give that a try then, I really haven't been bothered to get very good with small circumferences in the round. I do like the pattern.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

marchantia posted:

I'm interested to see what people do with the Takoma cardi - it's so...big. And really unflattering in all of those pictures. I really have no use for it where I am now, but growing up in the upper midwest, it is somewhat appealing on a visceral level. But...the sleeve-to-shoulder seams are so sloppy, and then they do a close-up on it and why isn't the 3-needle bind off flipped to the inside uuuugh!

Knitty posted:

Note: Three-needle bind off is usually worked with right sides held together; for this project it is worked with wrong sides held together, so that a decorative ridge is formed on the RS of the work.

It's decorative! :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Oh hell. I saw the pictures and fell in love with those mitts. I even have a bunch of partial skeins of sock wool I've been hoarding. Then I looked at the pattern and said "gently caress that". It looks way too complicated and tedious for my tiny-needle hating brain. The smallest needles I have are size 3, anyway. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

marchantia posted:

Oh Knitty...they have so many good patterns but then sometimes you are just like......why did you pick THIS? You know they don't lack for pattern submissions.

That Flugel pullover is freaking nasty too, and looks incredibly boring to knit. It's so slouchy, but it's cropped. WTF.

And also that Alda thing, what the hell is that it looks like she gave up on an amigurumi jellyfish. But don't you see? It's versatile. It can make several parts of your body look horrible.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Phishi posted:

It's decorative! :downs:

:ughh:

I guess the Flugel has an interesting construction going for it...I usually like Hannah Fettig's stuff, but the only way I could ever wear that is to lengthen it into a tunic and belt the sucker down, but poo poo that sounds like a lot of work for an incredibly mediocre looking sweater at the end. I could also make a similarly shaped garment without those gross seams going all the way down the arm (although at least the designer took the time to make those seams look decent when they are going to be photographed for public consumption.....*cough*Takomawhatareyoudoing*/cough*)

I didn't open the pattern for Alda, but the picture with it strapped to her head...haha, wow that's just the worst.

I'm "almost" (ha) finished with my Taygete! (rav: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/taygete) aka: I have one row of the lace left to work but then I read on in the pattern to see what was next (and looked closer at the pictures) and there is a picot bindoff that goes ALL THE WAY AROUND the shawl. Not just along the long edge. :supaburn: So...yeah. That'll be interesting.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I have a weird attraction to that Takomi thing. I would probably never wear it outside of the house though. It just looks really...cozy. Is that bulky weight, Eco+? It seriously only takes like four skeins?

Also like that entrelac sweater. I like it a lot in fact. Hm.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Eco+ skeins are massive! (And surprisingly cheap considering...)

I really love cascade, I just with the cost of 220 hadn't just gone up AGAIN.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Eco+ skeins are massive! (And surprisingly cheap considering...)

I really love cascade, I just with the cost of 220 hadn't just gone up AGAIN.

Oh lord, I remember seeing some at one of my locals now, I think. The lady told me it was the best value in the store given the amount you get for the money. Can't remember how it felt though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a bunch of Cascade Eco. Feels pretty good but lanolin-y, smells pretty sheepy. Eco+ is the dyed version, so you might get a little less sheep interaction out of it.

Also,

FelicityGS posted:

This is dangerous. Either you will immediately go "I have too much oh no!" or you will go "oh I clearly have exactly enough" and then buy more without feeling guilty--and then enter the former stage.

At least, that's what happened when I organized my stash.
totally did not expect this to happen but it totally happened. Sundara sock comes in fall colors you guys :circlefap:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 22, 2011

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Anne Whateley posted:

Sundara sock comes in fall colors you guys :circlefap:

"We are taking a brief hiatus from dyeing sock yarn. In the interim, we suggest subscribing to the Fingering Merino base of the Sundara Yarn Collection to meet your sock yarn needs. Or, the Fingering Merino Cashmere yarn makes excellent socks."

Sad. Not that I could afford that anyway. Might go roll around through people's for sale stash on ravelry and see if there is anything good. I'm on a sock yarn shawl kick now that I can actually wear them at work, but I currently have two shawl projects on the needles, so...meh. I think I'll be switching over to sweater knitting anyway as the weather cools down a bit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

marchantia posted:

Might go roll around through people's for sale stash on ravelry and see if there is anything good.
That's how I fell into it, and the answer is generally yes. My paypal account is practically smoking.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
This may be a dumb question, but I have had this itch and I just need to know if I can feasibly scratch it. I want to knit some socks, except I don't knit. I did once upon a time, but never really finished anything but a couple of hats. Are socks really hard or frustrating? I just keep seeing all these pretty sock yarns and yearning for them to be on my feet. I'm also too cheap to commission someone else to do it for me because I know how much hand knitting is worth. Please advise!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
If you knit hats in the round you can do socks. The only remotely difficult part of socks is turning the heel, and it's just short rows. Other than that it's really just a tube with some ribbing at one end and some decreases at the other.

I say go for it. :)

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Unoriginal posted:

This may be a dumb question, but I have had this itch and I just need to know if I can feasibly scratch it. I want to knit some socks, except I don't knit. I did once upon a time, but never really finished anything but a couple of hats. Are socks really hard or frustrating? I just keep seeing all these pretty sock yarns and yearning for them to be on my feet. I'm also too cheap to commission someone else to do it for me because I know how much hand knitting is worth. Please advise!

Silver's Sock Class is pretty much exactly what you want. It's a sock tutorial for people who are completely new to knitting (or just bad at socks, like me).

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Socks are my favorite thing to knit and I'm terrible at knitting. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So did anyone else go to the YARN EXTRAVAGANZA at AC Moore today? I think it was a nation-wide event.

The event was pretty much to sell this yarn:

Starbella. It's sort of a gimmicky web yarn that can quickly be knitted up into a frilly scarf. The problem? The AC Moore near me only had five of each color. They were sold out within twenty minutes of the even starting. :downs:

I haven't seen that many pissed off soccer moms in one store in years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Unoriginal posted:

I'm not sure if you know this, but just because it's sold as sock yarn doesn't mean it's only good for socks. I love all the great colors and textures too, but I don't want to hide them on my feet! If you want to use them to make something else, you totally can. Of course you can do socks, but you can make gloves, hats, sweaters, shawls, scarves, all out of sock yarn if you want.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Sock yarn exists for awesome fingerless gloves. :colbert:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

So did anyone else go to the YARN EXTRAVAGANZA at AC Moore today? I think it was a nation-wide event.

The event was pretty much to sell this yarn:

Starbella. It's sort of a gimmicky web yarn that can quickly be knitted up into a frilly scarf. The problem? The AC Moore near me only had five of each color. They were sold out within twenty minutes of the even starting. :downs:

I haven't seen that many pissed off soccer moms in one store in years.

That stuff was REALLY popular during the holiday season last year at the LYS I worked at. Even more so than the "pom-pom" yarn was the year before. It was pretty hard to feign enthusiasm for all the customers who went crazy over it, and my boss was somewhat shellshocked by how quickly we had to reorder. And we usually didn't do a lot of business with novelty yarns, either.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Drei posted:

That stuff was REALLY popular during the holiday season last year at the LYS I worked at. Even more so than the "pom-pom" yarn was the year before. It was pretty hard to feign enthusiasm for all the customers who went crazy over it, and my boss was somewhat shellshocked by how quickly we had to reorder. And we usually didn't do a lot of business with novelty yarns, either.

I was half tempted to buy it myself (when they had some in stock) but I've been burned so many times on "It can be used to make scarves AND NOTHING ELSE" yarn. See the yarn swap thread in SA-Mart for more details. :smithicide:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Oh my God you guys, I finally got to fondle some of Jared Flood's yarn Shelter. It's so woolly and stretchy and adfkljsdlhakld it's so awesome! I took my birthday yarn extravaganza over to Churchmouse on Bainbridge Island just to be able to get some of that. Well that and because they have many, many other beautiful things that aren't really found at my LYSs here in Seattle. Somehow. Despite the fact that there's like 12 yarn shops in this city...

There really was a stumble, and swiping the good ole' debit card on the way down.... One thing I found was Blue Moon Fiber Arts does this yarn called "Twisted" that is great for anybody who is looking for fairly affordable handpainted yarn. It was $32.50 for 560-ish yards of hand-painted worsted! And I live in an area with pretty high mark-up on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not sure if you know this, but just because it's sold as sock yarn doesn't mean it's only good for socks. I love all the great colors and textures too, but I don't want to hide them on my feet! If you want to use them to make something else, you totally can. Of course you can do socks, but you can make gloves, hats, sweaters, shawls, scarves, all out of sock yarn if you want.

Yeah, I've considered using it for doll hair before, but haven't yet. I don't really have any need for other wearable stuff besides socks. I live in TX so it's usually not that cold, but my feet are always freezing. It's mostly that I really do want more socks and there are a million cute sock yarns.

I think I'll give it a try, though. Looking at that tutorial, it doesn't seem that hard. Thanks for the encouragement, guys.