Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
What do you guys think about The Truck as a control position? I sorta feel like it's the "missing link" in my game, and I've actually been prioritizing it over a lot of my weaker top positions lately, but it seems to be pretty successful. For example, taking the top of side control and then instead of crossfacing or going to reverse kesa I'll somersault to Truck and end up in Backpack 90% of the time. However, a lot of the guys keep telling me it's just a gimmick and it only works because they're not used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What is The Truck?

Edit: Is it this "Chevy" thing I see on Google? That looks like a decent position for setting things up and not outside the realm of logic. I wouldn't teach it to anyone that doesn't already understand basic back control, but it seems like you do so, If it's working for you, keep at it I guess.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 13, 2011

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

What do you guys think about The Truck as a control position? I sorta feel like it's the "missing link" in my game, and I've actually been prioritizing it over a lot of my weaker top positions lately, but it seems to be pretty successful. For example, taking the top of side control and then instead of crossfacing or going to reverse kesa I'll somersault to Truck and end up in Backpack 90% of the time. However, a lot of the guys keep telling me it's just a gimmick and it only works because they're not used to it.

having one hook leads to calf slicers, banana splits and cobra twists so it rules

Isn't that the truck? Just having one hook?

This is my new position. It's just knee on belly but I call it submarine.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I find from side control I can get success with either going to a side triangle, far side kimura or looking to go knee on belly or into mount. Either way driving hard with chest to chest stops them from being able to do too much and I'll use any of the above to open for something else.

Stuck in Elevator
May 27, 2007
It's not so bad, there's a Czech newspaper in here.
I have my first BJJ tournament on Sunday, a white-belt only comp where there are 17 guys in my weight class (76kg) so I should get a ton good experience under my belt from it.

Have been training solidly for two months but due to being one of the smaller guys at my gym it'll be interesting to see how I get on with fighting people my weight. Hoping as well that I'll get a chance to use my judo background, but I'm sure people will just pull guard, any tips to avoiding this?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Stuck in Elevator posted:

Have been training solidly for two months but due to being one of the smaller guys at my gym it'll be interesting to see how I get on with fighting people my weight. Hoping as well that I'll get a chance to use my judo background, but I'm sure people will just pull guard, any tips to avoiding this?

If someone is intent on pulling guard, you're not really going to be able to stop them. What you can do is get favorable grips - whatever grips you like to use to pass, the second the match starts just go for them. If you're fighting another white belt that doesn't have a judo black belt you're probably going to be able to get whatever grips you like standing. Get your grips, if they don't pull guard then throw them, if you do you have a head start on the pass.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Not really my place to be giving advice yet but maybe if you're still in touch with some of your Judo friends on facebook or somethin ask if any of them have competed in bjj and what things they pulled from Judo that actually works in comp that you might already be proficient in. Better to play to your strengths with something that you've drilled a thousand times in ne waza than mess up with something thats more bjj specific.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Stuck in Elevator posted:

I have my first BJJ tournament on Sunday, a white-belt only comp where there are 17 guys in my weight class (76kg) so I should get a ton good experience under my belt from it.

Echoing Fatherdog, people are going to pulling guard on you, especially if you pinwheel a dude onto their head early. You might want to also consider avoiding throws that expose your back, depending on how proficient you are with them. Nothing is worse than scoring an ippon, only to be choked out because there are no ippons in BJJ (only a measly 2 points for a takedown). Don't focus 100% on getting a throw, to the exclusion of making sure that you can improve your position when it hits the ground.

If you have good ashi-waza, I would suggest those, you'll destroy most BJJ newbs with your superior foot sweeping skills/grip fighting skills.

Regardless, have fun and learn from the experience!

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
In the process of figuring out what the truck is (it looks okay to me, looks like something halfway through a rolling back take, I'd probably try to get to the back) I found a video of a crazy-rear end sweep/breakdown of the turtle and some really terrible youtube comments.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Ridleys Revenge posted:

For example, taking the top of side control and then instead of crossfacing or going to reverse kesa I'll somersault to Truck and end up in Backpack 90% of the time.

If Truck is back control with just one hook in and the other leg figure four-ed around that hook, how do you get there from side control? I'm having a hard time picturing this and the videos I'm finding make it look like something you'd have to do from attacking turtle or when you almost have back control.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
I think the idea is if someone tries to turn into you or you just step their top leg over from side control you'd then slide your bottom leg under that leg and hook it before rolling over the guy and using your hook to pull him or her over you into whatever, truck or just right to the back. Here's a cool looking dude doing it.

I don't know if you could do that setup reliably because people aren't going to be fond of the idea of letting you break down their legs like that but you can set the same thing up by letting your opponent catch a leg when you go to mount or by getting a knee to the ground out of half guard.

I'd still try to go right to mount I think.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Fleshpeg posted:

If Truck is back control with just one hook in and the other leg figure four-ed around that hook, how do you get there from side control? I'm having a hard time picturing this and the videos I'm finding make it look like something you'd have to do from attacking turtle or when you almost have back control.

i believe what you are looking for is ~*tWiStA*~ side control. try googling that.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
What does everyone think of gracie barra? Thinking about training again and theres one right around the corner

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Dangersim posted:

What does everyone think of gracie barra? Thinking about training again and theres one right around the corner

I think as an organization it sounds like it has some really dumb policies, but this might vary from school to school. If you can find an affordable, fun place to train, go for it. They do have talented people.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

I think as an organization it sounds like it has some really dumb policies, but this might vary from school to school. If you can find an affordable, fun place to train, go for it. They do have talented people.

can you elaborate on their dumb policies?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

BlindSite posted:

can you elaborate on their dumb policies?

I recall this being brought up in either this thread or the A/T thread (and have heard something similar from my current coach upon visiting a GB gym a ways away.)

Being forced or extremely pressured into using their gi/rashguard/shirt branded with their tag line.

I know this varies greatly from school to school.

This account seems to convey something similar.

I love BJJ and grappling in general but I have a hard time justifying the sport to more middle class people when folks are advised to spend 130-200 dollars on a jacket and pants when they could have bought one for 40-100 dollars.

There's a difference between selling your merchandise to new folks because hey why not(Most all fitness gyms do this. Yoga mats, towels, heart monitors, etc..), compared to telling them they have to have it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Senor P. posted:

Pretty much this. They are the BJJ equivelent of a McDojo in terms of pricing, contracts, having to wear only their official gis/rashguards, a strict sylabus that limits the instructors options, etc. However, they are still a perfectly legit school and most of their instructors are very talented guys who have a passion for what they do and are very good at it.

If your only other options are no BJJ or a crappy/shady school then I totally reccomend Gracie Barra. But if there are other legit options in your area I'd reccomend trying them out first.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
some of those schools also pay lip service to the rules, like the gi thing, while doing whatever they want the rest of the time. I would check it out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jacare is confirming he's still fighting at ADCC regardless of his Strikeforce match

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Roger, however, is out. Goddammit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So I've ended up with cellulitis from a small nick on my calf the night of training I can barely stamd. Clean your mats guys you want none of this poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
oh goddammit

The month of ADCC is like this every year, I swear.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've stopped paying attention to who's competing at ADCC until I see the live stream, because this is just history repeating itself.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

oh goddammit

if by every year you mean every two years, and if by "like this" you mean robert drysdale is injured, then you are correct

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

if by every year you mean every two years

by every year I mean every year that adcc occurs.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
everytime someone says "robert drysdale superfight" his hair catches on fire

widunder
May 2, 2002

fatherdog posted:

oh goddammit

I'm going to see this, drat that sucks. Still psyched, though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gomi Pile posted:

everytime someone says "robert drysdale superfight" his hair catches on fire

and not in a good way, like san-Goku.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
About a month ago I had passed a blue belts guard and put him in an arm triangle from mount and he said 'what are you doing?' as I was cinching it up, I eventually had him choking and spluttering but he wouldn't tap so I had to let him go and we continued on our way. It was like he seriously handn't seen that before which I find super unlikely as he's been there for ages. Was he trying to say doing that from mount is a dumb idea and I should do it from side control or was he just having a white belt moment? I always thought mount would be a good place to do kata gatame because if I don't get the choke, I'll get the pin.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Nierbo posted:

About a month ago I had passed a blue belts guard and put him in an arm triangle from mount and he said 'what are you doing?' as I was cinching it up, I eventually had him choking and spluttering but he wouldn't tap so I had to let him go and we continued on our way. It was like he seriously handn't seen that before which I find super unlikely as he's been there for ages. Was he trying to say doing that from mount is a dumb idea and I should do it from side control or was he just having a white belt moment? I always thought mount would be a good place to do kata gatame because if I don't get the choke, I'll get the pin.

You should have kept the choke on until he tapped or escaped. You're not trying to kill him but if he doesn't want to tap to a choke it's his own choice. If I start choking a guy and he doesn't tap, I look for small adjustments I can do to make the choke tighter and I choke him until he taps or escapes.

It's perfectly legit to start an arm triangle from the mount and it is possible to finish from there, even if you get a better angle by going to the side. Depends on what works for you.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I find from mount it can become more of a neck crank than a choke, but if he wasn't complaining about that then I dunno what his issue was.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
He wasn't having a "white belt moment", he was having a "loving retard moment."

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks. I didn't think I did anything wrong. I'll keep at it then.

fatherdog posted:

Gotcha.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

I find from mount it can become more of a neck crank than a choke, but if he wasn't complaining about that then I dunno what his issue was.

Even if its a neck crank, its still a submission. In comp if the ref can't tell its a neck crank it counts as a choke.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Neck cranks are bad judo :ohdear:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Apparently there will be some random drug testing at ADCC. This is a good thing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

fatherdog posted:

Maybe he's like me, cause I don't believe in arm triangles.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Maybe he's like me, cause I don't believe in arm triangles.

I also don't believe in chokes with a proven track record

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

westcoaster posted:

Even if its a neck crank, its still a submission. In comp if the ref can't tell its a neck crank it counts as a choke.

Yeah, but when you're rolling in class it's still not a nice thing to do :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

BlindSite posted:

I also don't believe in chokes with a proven track record

Sure, they work when the guy is exhausted and his face has caved in from five rounds of punching, but on an opponent of equal or greater size/experience and a decent amount of energy?