Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The dinosaurs look lame. They're the ones from a few years ago. Bleh!

Wow, that is a lot of pieces. I felt like splurging on a big huge set like this, I was gonna get the Alien Invasion HQ thing, but now I dunno...

We didn't choose, we ended up getting both. As well as the Lighthouse, Hillside House, the helicopter from Alien Invasion, and a handful of S5 figures. And while we were at it we bought a Kinect.

It's going to be a rather tight budget for the rest of the month. Worth it? Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I'm sure you're mistaken! I see boats, jets, jetskis, bikes, dune buggies, a helicopter that shoots snakes, but no airship!

Ninjago is the one theme that has me going :wtc: every time I look at it.

My problem with the new Ninjago stuff is that they look like they had a bunch of unused sets lying around (9443/9445 for Power miners and 9442 is an agents theme) and just threw them in.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm probably going to buy the new Super Star Destroyer this weekend.

It's probably going to suck.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

dunkman posted:

The USC star destroyer was better, and $200 less :( If only lego wasn't being retarded with the price I would own it. If its anything like 10030 there will be tons of repeating parts which can make your thumbs and fingers sore.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

You take that back. :colbert:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I can't do that, the Star Destroyer is superior.

I will still probably end up buying the SSD, just becuase the inflation on the star wars UCS sets is so insane. I still wish I had bought the Y-Wing because it is an amazingly detailed set and bloody expensive now. I just didn't have the money when it was being sold.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

A friend of mine did these a while ago and they came out brilliant:

Can someone with more skills than I chop some for avatars? I'd love to finally buy myself one, but just can't get it looking right.

Also Big W has the Supercar for $188. :gonk:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

CADPAT posted:

Is there a system where you can generally look up prices and price comparisons by part and such? For example, let's say I want to find a fantasy set with the best price per part ratio released between 2009 and 2011, or the cheapest Star Wars set with over 300 parts. Is there somewhere I can do that? I know brickset has this information, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to look it up.

Peeron has some of that functionality:
http://peeron.com/inv/reports

But some of it's broken by incomplete data (the Imperial Shuttle wasn't $0.00, after all), and it can't split it up by theme or year or anything.
It'd be neat if Peeron opened up their database and let people make custom reports for it, though.

For your first example, though, I'm pretty sure Medieval Market Village has the best price:part ratio in the Castle line, and one of the best overall ratios excluding parts buckets.

On another note, why do I like the Ninjago dragons so much? Their construction isn't very inspired, and they don't look that great in person, but I can't help but like them. So much so that I bought two Fire Dragons, two Lightning Dragons, and a second Ice Dragon with TRU's BOGO50%.
loving hell, I wasn't going to buy anything this month.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 17, 2011

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That pig is really cute!

This years supercar is pretty nice, though I had the most fun tearing it apart and modifying almost every aspect of it until I pulled it apart while making a jeep. It has a great deal of usable parts. I almost want to buy another one just for parts.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I'm sure you're mistaken! I see boats, jets, jetskis, bikes, dune buggies, a helicopter that shoots snakes, but no airship!

Ninjago is the one theme that has me going :wtc: every time I look at it.

Yep Ninjago is the crazy action-everything line that gets crazier every year, if it ends in space I won't be surprised. There's a jetpack, kendo samurai and 4 armed minifig (bottom left) in that pic as well. :)

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

dunkman posted:

It's on display around here somewhere, a friend was telling me about it. Maybe the LEGO store in North Park?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

GrumbleGrumble posted:

It's on display around here somewhere, a friend was telling me about it. Maybe the LEGO store in North Park?

I saw it at the Lego store in Chicago. It looks pretty boring to me. Especially the top panels.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

Paul Proteus posted:

I saw it at the Lego store in Chicago. It looks pretty boring to me. Especially the top panels.

Yeah I do like the Death Star and Imperial Shuttle better as high end Star Wars sets. It doesn't seem like the SSD has as much going for it as those sets, and the control room underneath is a little plain too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Merchant of Death posted:

That pig is really cute!
That's no pig...

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Paul Proteus posted:

It just doesn't feel right to me, the bottom is completly ignored, the center structure while it gives you the pieces to greeble it nicely it isn't used to its full potential to make it pop. It feels unfinished. The engines and shape of the ship are great though. With a proper bottom and more attention to detail in the center it will look a lot better. Its a challenging set for lego to do, with something being shrunk down in scale its hard to detail it properly and it feels like the designers just said screw it to a few parts.

But hey, I will buy it anyways and enjoy the build it just went from a must have when announced to pick it up later after seeing it. Space is also a issue, moving from a large house to an apartment makes it hard to find place for 4 foot long lego set.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I have the Imperial Shuttle but my Stormtrooper didn't have his blaster, unless it is in a bag that I haven't opened yet. I bought it just because my parents couldn't afford the nice LEGO sets when I was a kid, my mum had cancer ongoing from when I was two years old and every energy went into making her better.

I now have my Imperial Shuttle and my mum is still alive at 80 years old. Now where the gently caress is my blaster. :D Lego manuals are a bit rubbish aren't they? I guess they save money on not translating to every single language on Earth but I would have thought they would do at least English. :saddowns:

VVV thanks for the info VVV I doubt I'll actually bother unless I am missing any more as I go along.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 17, 2011

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
You can contact lego about the missing part, they are usually pretty quick on sending it too you. They sometimes ask for a copy of the bill if you didn't buy it from S&H or the number on the back of the manual.

you can call them or use the contact page on the website depending on the country you are in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

You can contact lego about the missing part, they are usually pretty quick on sending it too you. They sometimes ask for a copy of the bill if you didn't buy it from S&H or the number on the back of the manual.

you can call them or use the contact page on the website depending on the country you are in.

I've never had to contact Lego about missing parts, but I've heard nothing but great stuff about their customer service.

Also, more often than not, I usually get extra pieces when I open a box of Legos. They're good like that.

On the other hand, I've bought about 7 of the newest Lego minifigure bags, and not one goddamn boxer was in there. The graduate figure is terrible, too.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Red posted:

On the other hand, I've bought about 7 of the newest Lego minifigure bags, and not one goddamn boxer was in there. The graduate figure is terrible, too.

The boxer wasn't on my wish list for series 5, but he was the very first one I got. Have to say, h is a whole lot cooler than I was expecting. The alternate beat up face is great.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It just doesn't feel right to me, the bottom is completly ignored, the center structure while it gives you the pieces to greeble it nicely it isn't used to its full potential to make it pop. It feels unfinished. The engines and shape of the ship are great though. With a proper bottom and more attention to detail in the center it will look a lot better. Its a challenging set for lego to do, with something being shrunk down in scale its hard to detail it properly and it feels like the designers just said screw it to a few parts.

But hey, I will buy it anyways and enjoy the build it just went from a must have when announced to pick it up later after seeing it. Space is also a issue, moving from a large house to an apartment makes it hard to find place for 4 foot long lego set.

Take it as a challenge. Improve it after you build the normal one.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My unimog was missing two panels, instead I got an extra bag of pins, they currently even have a webform you can fill out for missing parts and they will send em to you. Took about a week for them to arrive.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was at the Lego Store at Sherway after work yesterday, no more S3 or S4 minifigs, unfortunately. S5 are in, just one little drawer for them, unlike the big S4 display. Picked 10 bags at random, managed to get Col. Hannibal Smith (:dance:), but also ended up with 2 spare Aerobics Girls, 1 extra Clown, and 1 extra Cave Girl.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Apologies if this has already been posted, but someone mentioned the TRU BOGO 50% off sale being 9/9 and 9/10 - it's actually still going on now. Also, a lot of the items that were not available for shipping the first couple days have come back in stock. And you can get the discount multiple times if you just make separate orders as well. I just spent way too much money, haha.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Torael_7 posted:

Take it as a challenge. Improve it after you build the normal one.

Having flaws like no real bottom, quanity over quality of greebling when other UCS sets set the bar high is just disapointing.

I will probably end up bricklink buying parts to do it. It just came out though so there is no rush as it will probably be sold for at least 2 years. Unless I see it on sale then all bets are off.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Starting to put together that Toy Story train I found for half off. Started with the engine, and I'm a bit disappointed with how daintily some of it is put together -- the whole boiler section is just held onto the rest with a single rod through the middle.

Plus it's clearly made to go on tracks but came with no tracks.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Got 3 aerobics girls so far, which sucks. I did get a boxer and gladiator, who are awesome. I also have the graduate but he's awful. That little cape he comes with just sticks straight out and there's no way to have it bend since it's fabric.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

mathaeis posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but someone mentioned the TRU BOGO 50% off sale being 9/9 and 9/10 - it's actually still going on now. Also, a lot of the items that were not available for shipping the first couple days have come back in stock. And you can get the discount multiple times if you just make separate orders as well. I just spent way too much money, haha.

yeah, they turned it into a weeklong sale, then extended it through today. Starting on the 18th is a buy 2 get one free lego sale *excludes pirates and starwars*

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Duke posted:

I also have the graduate but he's awful. That little cape he comes with just sticks straight out and there's no way to have it bend since it's fabric.

Worst mini-figure they've made so far. I think I'm going to bag that little fucker or something and just give it to Goodwill or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GrumbleGrumble posted:

Yep Ninjago is the crazy action-everything line that gets crazier every year, if it ends in space I won't be surprised. There's a jetpack, kendo samurai and 4 armed minifig (bottom left) in that pic as well. :)

I want that Kendo Samurai minifig.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I blame this thread for making me run to Toys R US at 8:30 tonight to take advantage of the buy one get one 50% sale going on. Picked up 2 technic sets, 8041 which is the race truck and 8066 the little off road buggy. Man, I haven't built lego in probably 10+ years. Started on the race truck and 2 hours later I'm not even half way through book 1 of 2!

I must say, the technic sets interest me much more than the standard sets. Anyone else like that?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm not a LEGO user but my son is. As a result I'm not going to read this whole thread, but I skimmed this last page, and folks should know that someone's deciphered the bar codes so you can tell which minifigure is in those mystery bags. My son has just the ones he wants out of each wave of new models or whatever.

Anyway, all this may be common knowledge in LEGO circles but it sounds like some folks are rolling the dice when they buy these minifigures and fyi you don't have to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only for as far back as Series 2. Since 3, they've been obfuscated.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Series 5 is either the absolute easiest series to figure out via squeezing yet, or else I'm getting a lot better at this. Pulled everything I want within about fifteen minutes today and didn't miss a single one.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I managed to catch a Black Seas Barracuda locally on Craigslist for cheaper than I've ever seen on Bricklink. It came pre assembled but still with the box and instructions. The guy said it was 'missing a few very minor pieces'.

I took it apart, washed it and put it back together. These minor pieces are going to cost me a grand total of a buck on BL whenever I bother ordering them. They were all pieces I have on hand so there's no rush.

I've been wanting this loving thing since I was 8. I feel like king of the manchildren right now.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

mattfl posted:

I must say, the technic sets interest me much more than the standard sets. Anyone else like that?

I love them, the b models are usually fun and the amount of tinkering you can do with the guts is fun. The 8041 truck, I made the b model, then hooked up power functions and made it into a little remote control lego car. It doesn't move that fast but its still neat hiding as much of the powerfunction parts was prettyfun too.

the 8070 super car is really cool as well, is pretty huge and gives you a nice varied amount of parts to make amazing stuff with. rejiggering the gearbox into something other then powerfunctions was a blast.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

EvilJoven posted:

I managed to catch a Black Seas Barracuda locally on Craigslist for cheaper than I've ever seen on Bricklink. It came pre assembled but still with the box and instructions. The guy said it was 'missing a few very minor pieces'.

I took it apart, washed it and put it back together. These minor pieces are going to cost me a grand total of a buck on BL whenever I bother ordering them. They were all pieces I have on hand so there's no rush.

I've been wanting this loving thing since I was 8. I feel like king of the manchildren right now.

If LEGO remade the Black Seas Barracuda I'd buy that in an instant. I had it as a kid, I have no intention of getting back into buying legos but I'd build that and put display it in an instant. Nostalgia :allears:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Jesus, I've been packing for an upcoming move and I just started on the Lego tonight... I'm half tempted to weigh it all in the bins since I'm pretty sure I've got a couple hundred pounds. And I'm on crutches... I'll post some photos when I have it all stacked up.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Red posted:

Worst mini-figure they've made so far. I think I'm going to bag that little fucker or something and just give it to Goodwill or something.
Goddamnit, I really want a graduate and I can't find it. I'm getting worried that by the time I find him, I'm going to be so disappointed when I put him together!

My initial hit ratio for searching the minifigs was pretty great, but I can't seem to get anywhere now.

I think I need to curb my Lego spending for a bit though. Going to build my Creator Lighthouse today.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Devlan Mud posted:

If LEGO remade the Black Seas Barracuda I'd buy that in an instant. I had it as a kid, I have no intention of getting back into buying legos but I'd build that and put display it in an instant. Nostalgia :allears:

A friend gave me his that he still had in the box, granted it was built and taken apart and well played with since he had it as a kid about 2 years ago and I love it. I was tempted to get the imperial flagship but I already don't have space for most of the lego I have :( To make things worse, I bought a desk and some shelving and plastic drawers from home depot so I can organize the 4000 or so technic pieces I ordered off bricklink. Crazy? yes but since I have the free time and money I wanted to build up my piece collection for creations. I now have by my estimate enough pieces of diffrent type and style to make 2 chasis for road vehicles, and at least once tank chasis at a time. Now I need to order plates and bricks so I can build the rest of the vehicle. No more having to canabalize 5 of my sets to try make something and only be able to work on it! I can now work on multiple projects at once if I get a block while designing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Red posted:

I've never had to contact Lego about missing parts, but I've heard nothing but great stuff about their customer service.

Also, more often than not, I usually get extra pieces when I open a box of Legos. They're good like that.

I have a spare boxer if you want it.

I am also amassing a collection of Cleopatras, clowns, and graduates, but I have yet to find the guy in the Godzilla suit or the monkey lady.

I did get a gangster today. He is truly awesome.