Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone have any cool suggestions for displaying a bunch of 4x6ish sized prints on a wall (that don't involve putting holes of any kind in it)? I want to throw up a bunch of snapshots I've taken here for decoration in my apartment.

Not exactly a cool idea, but if you find some neat frames but don't want to put nail holes in, those command strips for picture frames are pretty useful. I've used them before and they leave the wall completely clean afterwards. Don't put too much weight on them though, because I've had one fall on me and I smashed the corner of my favourite Picasso print :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I've had some success using spray adhesive to stick prints to foam board then using a foam cutter and a metal square to break it out. Then some of that gummy stuff for tacking it to the wall. I think I found it at Home Despot. Should be an equivalent out there.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, I mean legitimacy of the video aside I'm just disappointed by reddit's reaction. Although I doubt GBS would have been any better.

Shooting in public can be super weird. You get some interesting reactions - definitely some creepsters. I was shooting on the beach in Greece a few weeks ago and like three different groups of italians came up and wanted to take a picture with the model.

Every time I've shot a model on the beach I've had drunkfucks stumble up to the model and want pictures. Usually it's not a big deal, even with all the "Woah! I bet that camera takes real nice pictures!"

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think I'm going to have to build something custom; the washing machine inside this trough deal for drainage (with no room on either side outside of the trough), so the table has to fit within those pretty specific dimensions.

Anyone have any cool suggestions for displaying a bunch of 4x6ish sized prints on a wall (that don't involve putting holes of any kind in it)? I want to throw up a bunch of snapshots I've taken here for decoration in my apartment.

That's a very common deal; half of the apartments I've lived in have had that little tray for the washing machine, and Sekichu/Cainz/etc. make racks and tables that will go on top of the edges and clip down, or have feet that bend under the washer, or something similar.

I've never found a good way to hang things on walls and it really bothers me. I ask Japanese people and they just shrug and say "nails?"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tarepanda posted:

That's a very common deal; half of the apartments I've lived in have had that little tray for the washing machine, and Sekichu/Cainz/etc. make racks and tables that will go on top of the edges and clip down, or have feet that bend under the washer, or something similar.

I've never found a good way to hang things on walls and it really bothers me. I ask Japanese people and they just shrug and say "nails?"

Oh, really? That's be awesome... I don't think we have either of those chains in Saga, but there's a GooDay in my neighborhood, I'll try poking around in the washing machine/laundry section instead of just the shelving/tables. Are they pretty stable?

I've got some double-sided tape that's pretty decent, but I'm afraid it'll tear the wallpaper when I go to remove it. So far I've only used it to put up a big map of Japan I got at the book store, and then to fuse my air conditioner/main light remote into a single entity ("the Megatron").

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Hmm, I'm not sure what the equivalent stores are in that area. Cainz and Sekichu are both like Home Depot, sort of.

The ones I've seen range from steel wireframe racks to steel/aluminum frames with composite board shelves. I think they're pretty strong/stable; people use them for holding lots of washing supplies or other related items.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've just to a wedding where the photographer was a 'girl with camera'

Bonus was that she was the ex-girlfriend of the groom.

Why would you choose someone who:

a) is slimmer, taller and prettier than the bride and known to have slept with the groom

and

b) blubbed during the moving parts, such as exchange of vows, rings etc - the times when traditionally, the photographer needs to have unmisty eyes.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think I'm going to have to build something custom; the washing machine inside this trough deal for drainage (with no room on either side outside of the trough), so the table has to fit within those pretty specific dimensions.

I used some 3m double sided tape to put up a lot of polaroids once, it looked pretty good, and it lasted until I pulled them down a few months later.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I've just to a wedding where the photographer was a 'girl with camera'

Bonus was that she was the ex-girlfriend of the groom.

You've got to be kidding me :psyduck:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spog posted:

I've just to a wedding where the photographer was
the ex-girlfriend of the groom.

Why would you choose someone who:

a) is slimmer, taller and prettier than the bride and known to have slept with the groom

This guy is a loving moron and is lucky his wife didn't stab him when he offered up the idea of her being the wedding photog.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

This guy is a loving moron and is lucky his wife didn't stab him when he offered up the idea of her being the wedding photog.

What blows my mind is the wife was apparently OK with all this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

This was an episode of 'How I met your mother' once upon a time. I don't know when, it's one of the only episodes I've ever actually seen.

End result: everyone ends up in the sack with their ex.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Totally off-topic, but I'm looking for a photo of an art store/gallery that's so overstuffed with artwork that you can't see the walls. I think somebody posted it here, but I don't have much to go on because I don't remember where it was taken. Somewhere on the east coast, Atlantic City, Virginia Beach?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

Well, as she was given away by her handsome ex-husband, he probably felt an ex-girlfriend as photographer was no issue....

(blew my mind too)

Oddly, they are a completely normal couple (as far as I can tell) and not at all weird.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

spog posted:

Well, as she was given away by her handsome ex-husband, he probably felt an ex-girlfriend as photographer was no issue....

(blew my mind too)

Oddly, they are a completely normal couple (as far as I can tell) and not at all weird.
I guess that they're just the most confident and comfortable couple ever, with absolutely no jealousy issues on either side and ridiculously good relationships with their exes. Props to them if it's so, but I'm having a hard time believing such a thing could ever exist given what humans are usually like and my mind keeps trying to find more reasonable reasons, such as handsome ex-husband is gay and/or married for the green card, and girl with camera, out of modesty, hides being the best wedding photographer in the world by pretending to be a girl with a camera.
Now I really want to see those photos.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Some people aren't balls of neurosis. This, to goons, is akin to contemplating the notion of forever.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

To be fair, you don't have to be an internet-dwelling ball of neurosis to be uncomfortable with your husband-to-be's ex (attractive or not) shooting your wedding (especially if they're not that great a photographer anyway, then you'd have so many others to choose from - almost everyone has a dSLR these days and at least a passing interest in photography). Most people, however stable and comfortable in their relationship, would respond to that with "no, just no" and that's why it's a pretty unusual thing to see. Inviting exes to a wedding is one thing, and I don't find that strange at all if everyone's still friends, but giving them such an important and prominent role would usually be a touchy subject.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I shot a wedding recently where the bride's ex-boyfriend of 10 years happily did a reading during the ceremony. Everyone seemed pretty happy about it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I had a photo shoot on Saturday. Pretty much the first time I've picked up my camera in almost 6 months. Lady wanted pics of herself, her dog & her and her dog. She seems excited, the weather and light are perfect, I was ready to go.

Yeah.

She gets her makeup done at my girlfriend's salon and I meet her there so I can follow her to her house. We get to her house and I tell her that I am ready to begin shooting her whenever she is ready. She says OK and wants me to start with the dog first. OK fine. Then she just disappears. I spent the first hour shooting the dog. She is a cute little 5 month old Korgi. Had a blast with her. After about 1.5 hours the lady shows back up and asks if I want her to get dressed so we can do the pics. I say yes.

We start shooting.

Turns out she isn't excited about this at all. In fact she hates having her picture taken. I cannot get her to loosen up, relax or even smile. She finally tells me that her mother is the one that wants the photos and she doesn't want to do this.

Joy.

I text my girlfriend and tell her she needs to come help me with the shoot. She has known the lady for over a year and I thought her being there might help the lady relax and smile. While waiting for my GF to show up I discover that the lady is very hung over from the night before and she has been drinking vodka since we got to her house.

Joy.

GF shows up. Lady actually starts to loosen up and smile a bit. Weather turns to poo poo. It was overcast and the light was perfect this whole time. Now the wind starts blowing like a mother fucker. The sun comes out AND it starts loving raining.

gently caress Me.

We fight the sun, wind & rain. I am actually getting a few good shots here and there. At the exact moment the planets align, the weather just stops, the light is perfect again, the lady is smiling and actually having a little fun... the puppy decides that it is a really good time to bite me on my left nut.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahahhahahaha I'm sorry but that's the best story ever

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Post a picture of the dog :colbert:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I pictured her drinking somewhere in the house while she was gone for 1.5 hours, but I had predicted that she'd try to 3-way with you and your gf. It would have made a better story and we'd have some homegrown to boot :colbert:.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Post a picture of the dog :colbert:

Post a picture of the testicle :colbert:

No, wait!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I was expecting the woman to want pictures *with* the dog. :colbert:

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I like to imagine the chomping sound from that ancient tootsie pop commercial when the topic of nuts and teeth come up. That's just me though.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

squidflakes posted:

I was expecting the woman to want pictures *with* the dog. :colbert:

That's where I thought it was going too.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
You guys are some sick mother fuckers. That's why I like the Dorkroom. :cheers:

I went thru the pics last night. I am very happy with the dog pics & not so happy with the lady pics. She just looks pissed off in all the shots. I am so unhappy with them I may ask her to reshoot. :( I'll post the dogs pics soon but I am not allowed to post the lady pics.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

You guys are some sick mother fuckers. That's why I like the Dorkroom. :cheers:

I went thru the pics last night. I am very happy with the dog pics & not so happy with the lady pics. She just looks pissed off in all the shots. I am so unhappy with them I may ask her to reshoot. :( I'll post the dogs pics soon but I am not allowed to post the lady pics.

why not? are you scared she'll bite you on the right nut?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

why not? are you scared she'll bite you on the right nut?

Yes I am.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I was going to spend my lunch hour looking at various bits of photo gear and caught myself thinking: "I don't want any more photo gear, I want more photo shoots!"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Elite Taco posted:

I was going to spend my lunch hour looking at various bits of photo gear and caught myself thinking: "I don't want any more photo gear, I want more photo shoots!"
This should be the forum title.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't even go into the gear threads anymore, I really don't want to think about equipment. My photos are terrible enough with the amount of gear that I have.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
My lenses keep getting faster, but my photos are still the same.

shoot f/2.8 1/8000 erryday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shoot f/2.8 erryday :clint:

Ask self why photos are soft errynight :(

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Shoot 1.2 erryday
Delete missed focus pics errynite

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Elite Taco posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This should be the forum title.

If I could empty quote that I would.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

tarepanda posted:

Shoot 1.2 erryday
Delete missed focus pics errynite
Ain't that the bitter, cold truth :(

Glad I'm not the only one - after I got an f1.4 lens (50mm) to supplement the f4.0 17-40mm, I've been deleting out-of-focus shots all over the place.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I wish that instead of showing the whole photo after taking a shot the viewfinder would just centre on whatever point in the photo is in focus at 100%.

I'm just incapable of telling on the viewfinder if I've missed focus by a few centimetres.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I don't think focus is an either-or kind of deal, which makes it hard for a computer to tell what's in acceptable focus or not. I have plenty of shots that are sharp when viewed at an iPad, but seems out of focus when viewed at a 27" iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Elite Taco posted:

Every time I see a piece of gear (even a filter) I think of what sized print I could buy for that amount, and opt for the print instead.