Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've always wanted to play Stronghold with some people if we're taking suggestions.
This is pretty fun, I'd also like to play this in multiplayer. It feels like Killing Floor with Doom stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
So, just a quick interest check on something related:

There's a sort of critical mass problem with a lot of "dead" multiplayer games and especially mods where servers stay depopulated because everyone looks at the server browser and there are no populated servers so they quit.

I'm considering starting a thread (or using this one?) to fire up some retro multiplayer game/mod nights so some old-but-still-fun stuff can see daylight again, basically by just guaranteeing that a decent population will be on at the same time. Would there be any interest in this?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Purple D. Link posted:

This is pretty fun, I'd also like to play this in multiplayer. It feels like Killing Floor with Doom stuff.

Stronghold is pretty great. I do recommend that any multiplayer server run the Survival Addon plugin, though, which fixes most of the issues inherent in playing online. It removes Time Attack mode (and replaces it with just replaying stages), and gives each player a fixed number of lives per level, rather than a persistent stock.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Like I said on the last page, I'd be up for multiplayer game nights in old games and mods. In particular I'd love to play Sven Co-Op again, and I've wanted to play UT against other people (I've only played against bots.)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I've been playing through the TNT map pack for Doom, and I've been trying to find all the secrets in the third map, Wormhole.

Wormhole is a unique map in that you can clear the level and get to the exit switch very quickly, but when the stats screen appears, it shows that you've only killed like 30% of the enemies.

The gimmick to the map is that there's a hidden gate which teleports you to an almost exact copy of the map that contains more monsters.

Now while exploring with no-clip, I found a weird thing. Outside the boundaries of the map there's a room with no entrance or exit that contains 20 teleport pads - ten white on one side, 10 red on the other.

When stepped on, these pads just send you to random parts in the map.

At first I thought this was just a work around by the mapper to have monsters spawn in randomly to parts of the map. But if you go to the room right off the start of the level, there are no monsters in it.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2011

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
All of the deathmatch spawn points the level are in that room.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I am having way too much fun with UT mods.

I have no loving clue what's happening in the last one, but it was some weird green stuff that messed with my FoV and I got Godlike during it :hellyeah:

e: also scoring headshots with the sniper rifle with MoreGore on causes gibs which is like the Scanners head explosion scene taken too far :laffo:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OneEightHundred posted:

There's a sort of critical mass problem with a lot of "dead" multiplayer games and especially mods where servers stay depopulated because everyone looks at the server browser and there are no populated servers so they quit.

I'm considering starting a thread (or using this one?) to fire up some retro multiplayer game/mod nights so some old-but-still-fun stuff can see daylight again, basically by just guaranteeing that a decent population will be on at the same time. Would there be any interest in this?

I would be interested in this. There are a lot of mods that I heard about too late and would like to play.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

I would be down for old half life mods and the like. I have fond memories of playing the old WON Rocket crowbar.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Yes. I would so love to play UT, even ChaosUT, online.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

H2Omelon posted:

All of the deathmatch spawn points the level are in that room.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'll start a steam group/thread for a classic game/mod club this weekend if nobody else wants to beat me to it. I'd really love to get something like this going steady for an extended period of time, goons and non-goons alike. I've taken part in way too many of these sorts of groups that fade after a few weeks or never take off at all across a number of different communities and it is tearing my heart in two.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Dominic White posted:

Stronghold is pretty great. I do recommend that any multiplayer server run the Survival Addon plugin, though, which fixes most of the issues inherent in playing online. It removes Time Attack mode (and replaces it with just replaying stages), and gives each player a fixed number of lives per level, rather than a persistent stock.

Is there a way to remove Time Attack mode for single player?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yodzilla posted:

Welp I beat Opposing Force [...] gently caress ladders.

Yeah, gently caress Half-Life 1 and ladders. It's really hard to get onto a ladder from the top. I've fallen to my death a few times trying to backtrack in places where Valve didn't expect it. The only explanation that I can come up with is that Valve were so adamant about not taking control away from the player that they didn't even want to do a 1-second automated sequence of the Gordon mounting a ladder after the player interacts with the guard-rails at the top.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Kins posted:

God I love Doom modders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWsswsWL5E

There was a Batman doom mod. If you're willing to overlook the fact that Batman was killing his foes with guns, it was the best Batman game of the 90s in my book.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There was a Batman doom mod. If you're willing to overlook the fact that Batman was killing his foes with guns, it was the best Batman game of the 90s in my book.
Fun Fact: The guys who did Batman Doom are still around as a development team. They just released Rock of Ages!

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

The Kins posted:

Fun Fact: The guys who did Batman Doom are still around as a development team. They just released Rock of Ages!

Really? Consider my mind blown!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, gently caress Half-Life 1 and ladders. It's really hard to get onto a ladder from the top. I've fallen to my death a few times trying to backtrack in places where Valve didn't expect it. The only explanation that I can come up with is that Valve were so adamant about not taking control away from the player that they didn't even want to do a 1-second automated sequence of the Gordon mounting a ladder after the player interacts with the guard-rails at the top.
And this is a very good thing. I'd rather have difficult ladders than automated ladders.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Stuntman posted:

And this is a very good thing. I'd rather have difficult ladders than automated ladders.

Exactly. Freedom of movement is something special and everyone will ultimately realize this when it's gone.

Did you Know: You can climb a ladder at twice the speed in Goldsrc games by simply strafing up them? Engine exploit or idiosyncrasy? You decide.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

treat posted:

Engine exploit or idiosyncrasy?

There's a difference?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Okay, gently caress E4M2 in Thy Flesh Consumed. Can't beat it in Brutal Doom because I keep getting my rear end kicked by the invisible pinky demons and the lost souls.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Valve were so adamant about not taking control away from the player that they didn't even want to do a 1-second automated sequence of the Gordon mounting a ladder after the player interacts with the guard-rails at the top.
The real explanation is that the Quake engine didn't have ladders. They were a novel feature at the time. When it came time to add them, pretty much everybody either did it by flagging surfaces as ladders (causing gravity to be disabled if you were in contact with it and facing it) or using fields in front of the ladder that switched you over to swimming-style movement while in them.

None of them gave much thought to how terrible this meant getting on to a ladder below you was. Every Quake 2-based game and Half-Life all had terrible ladders for climbing down on. Deus Ex had terrible ladders for climbing down AND had issues with reaching the top of them. I fondly remember my sighs of relief when Red Faction's ladders were smart enough to automatically move you into the ladder area if you tried crouching anywhere near the top of one.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah as much as ladder-cutscenes blow I'm grateful for that modern invention since ladders were the bane of my life in older games (FEAR did it pretty great as well, since you could slide down from the top instead of having to climb down it as slowly as climbing up) I've died many times due to slipping and sliding off of Ladders.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zeether posted:

Okay, gently caress E4M2 in Thy Flesh Consumed. Can't beat it in Brutal Doom because I keep getting my rear end kicked by the invisible pinky demons and the lost souls.

Scythe's map, "Anger", is appropriately named when used in conjunction with Brutal Doom and Ultra-Violence. Right off the bat, you're getting flanked by Imps close enough to pounce on you, Chaingunners, Demons, Cacodemons, and several Barons of Hell. If you try to out-maneuver the aforementioned enemies, you'll undoubtedly stray into an Arch Vile's LOS and get tossed around like a ragdoll. You usually can't stay alive long enough to even trick demons into infighting.

Most of those problems exist without Brutal Doom, but I'm pretty sure the increased lethality of Shotgunners and Meleeing Imps turns what would be a relatively easy fight into a real challenge.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Is there a way to remove Time Attack mode for single player?

Nothing stopping you from hosting a multiplayer game but solo using that plugin. I reckon it's a general improvement over vanilla Stronghold.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Most of those problems exist without Brutal Doom, but I'm pretty sure the increased lethality of Shotgunners and Meleeing Imps turns what would be a relatively easy fight into a real challenge.

Guess it's balanced out by the minigun making some otherwise-difficult encounters into cakewalks. The Brutal Doom balance is definitely different to regular, but I like it, generally speaking.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 17, 2011

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Stuntman posted:

In Half-Life 2, Gordon goes through a brief automated sequence whenever he gets into a cockpit (you really want to try getting into a car with standard controls?). There should have been something similar for ladders.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

And Zeno Clash, these guys are crazy. Rock of Ages is a game that would fit in any Monty Python's Flying Circus show. If it had their voice acting would be perfect.

Edit: Just started playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture and holy poo poo is hard, big waves of enemies, Quake themed but with way better map design. Its amazing but when i mean HARD, is that i saved even more than in No Rest for the Living. Brutal Doom just makes it even harder and i had to flee like a pussy from the cyberdemon. My only complain is that i started level 2 and theres a tip message:

Is there any way to disable that? Its getting really annoying because no matter how long i play level 2, it keeps showing and i cant see poo poo in front of me.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 18, 2011

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zeether posted:

I made it to the end, but it's impossible to do the end properly because the Cyberdemon, who's supposed to stay in one place so you can telefrag him, no longer stays in place. So I just had to reload a million attempts to run past him and somehow carve through the pack of cacodemons and get to the exit.

Which is possible, I discovered.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
The one thing I like about old ladders is that you can just jump off a cliff, then grab the ladder at the last second to negate all fall damage. That alone nearly makes their finickyness worth it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

beanbrew posted:

The one thing I like about old ladders is that you can just jump off a cliff, then grab the ladder at the last second to negate all fall damage. That alone nearly makes their finickyness worth it.

Or if there is water, like 10 inches deep of it, it negates all fall damage, seems to be a common engine issue as still happens in Counter Strike 1.6 (See de_Aztec).

Or some games with Quake 3 engine where you can jump from insanely high but if you land in some shape that isnt completely horizontal, you take no damage at all (RTCW and Enemy Territory at least).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Or if there is water, like 10 inches deep of it, it negates all fall damage, seems to be a common engine issue as still happens in Counter Strike 1.6 (See de_Aztec).

Or some games with Quake 3 engine where you can jump from insanely high but if you land in some shape that isnt completely horizontal, you take no damage at all (RTCW and Enemy Territory at least).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlVdVjuYZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUOn2EUFhk#t=26m52s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

Another thing about fall damage in the Quake 3 engine is that it's not height that matters, but rather how long you've been in the air. There's a desert map in Enemy Territory that has a bugged window near the Allied spawn point. If you jump into the window, you start to fall to the ground slowly.

Ten to fifteen seconds later you splatter all over the ground below the window, which was originally not two feet below you.

vvvv EDIT: Huh, I had no idea...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 19, 2011

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Another thing about fall damage in the Quake 3 engine is that it's not height that matters, but rather how long you've been in the air. There's a desert map in Enemy Territory that has a bugged window near the Allied spawn point. If you jump into the window, you start to fall to the ground slowly.

Ten to fifteen seconds later you splatter all over the ground below the window, which was originally not two feet below you.
That's actually game-specific. The actual Q3A game is notoriously lenient about long fall distances. Basically, if you're moving 7 units/second or faster, you get a pain grunt. If you are moving 40-60 units/second, you take 5 damage. If you are moving more than 60 units/second, you take 10 damage. You never take more than 10 damage even if you jump off of the top of a skyscraper.

Ducking while in mid-air doubles your effective speed at impact, landing in water can either halve or quarter it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh god what have I gotten into when trying to go through 10x Doom on Hurt Me Plenty. I've always hated Containment Area ever since I first played it, but now you're faced against over three hundred imps in the first room and all you have is a shotgun and pistol :suicide:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The solution to this is to use the Brutal Doom + 10x combo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The solution to this is to use the Brutal Doom + 10x combo.

No can do. My laptop can't handle it. I'm waiting on the newest version that optimizes it for older machines (I recall reading that anyway).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I made it to the end, but it's impossible to do the end properly because the Cyberdemon, who's supposed to stay in one place so you can telefrag him, no longer stays in place. So I just had to reload a million attempts to run past him and somehow carve through the pack of cacodemons and get to the exit.

Which is possible, I discovered.
Cyberdemon was exactly what hosed me over. I could dodge his rockets a bit but then he caught me in a corner and I got splattered.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

My only complain is that i started level 2 and theres a tip message:

Is there any way to disable that? Its getting really annoying because no matter how long i play level 2, it keeps showing and i cant see poo poo in front of me.

I have had the same problem when I load UTnT with Brutal Doom! I can't figure out if it's a weird keybinding issue or what. Also in that mod, I think the flamethrower weapon becomes un-selectable once you cycle away from it. Brutal Doom doesn't allow it to fit into the weapon slots or something.

And holy poo poo that Brutal 10x mod is upsettingly overwhelming.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is kinda neat, some redditor posted about this. RC cola promo mod for a mt dew clone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2YoLeRjV8

feature mel torme pinky saying "cmon baby take it baby take it"

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/giibx/i_just_found_out_that_im_right_across_the_street/c1nsngu

quote:

And as promised, links to KickDoom -- a wad I produced in 1996 with iD to promote Kick soda from RC Cola.
The level was designed by Tim Willits, who was then just a guy that the guys at Doom said -- "Try this Tim dude, he's been doing some pretty good maps."
For Doom II: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OQ9J7A6
For Ultimate Doom: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OQ9J7A6
Here's the original thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/giibx/i_just_found_out_that_im_right_across_the_street/c1nsngu
I remember being worried that the 2Mb compressed file would be a large download for people...
Please let me know if you get it running!

edit: jeet christ this fuckin website

http://web.archive.org/web/19970131181034/http://kicksoda.com/doom/doom.html

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Robolizard! posted:

edit: jeet christ this fuckin website

http://web.archive.org/web/19970131181034/http://kicksoda.com/doom/doom.html

Oh god my eyes

For anyone who complains about some peoples' choices in web design now, click this link. It used to be worse. Way, way worse.