Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How does learning skills on the Demifiend work? Can you just learn the skills from one magatama and then move onto another, or does level factor into it somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
If I'm remembering right, he can only have a certain number of skills at a time, from any/all magatama. I think the amount he can have increases at certain levels, up to a point.
Once you learn a skill you can keep it until you replace it with another one.
Some skills you will want to keep for pretty much ever, others you'll replace because your demons will be able to do them better, or they won't fit your playstyle, or things like that.

Just don't be hasty and replace things without considering what other skills you and your demons have available at the time and you should be fine.

Edit: That is to say, once you replace a previously learned skill, there is no way to get it back and you'll have to rely on your demons for whatever it was.
Thats right, right? its been a while since I played it...

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 15, 2011

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

I think the amount he can have increases at certain levels, up to a point.
All true except for this part. The maximum number of skills is always eight.

Every skill has a hidden level requirement. If the magatama is glowing and shaking, you can learn a skill from it. It's only your level that matters, you don't need to ingest the magatama before it's ready if you don't want to.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More P4: Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena character reveals coming soon, expect "surprises", possible original characters

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New anime trailer. It looks really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhkqf5qulE

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Baalster posted:

I really don't know what to think of Ultimate. On one hand it looks like it has its own thing going for it (Which is good), but on the other I am just largely bored by the gameplay I've seen. I dunno, I should probably wait to get better quality gameplay before I judge too much.

Any fighting game is going to look boring when both players don't know what they're doing. Capcom's been using high-level players to demo their games in the past, so it would be cool if Arc System Works did the same.

The HUD in this game doesn't look as awful as BlazBlue's, so I'm going to take that as a good sign.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Was that an all-out attack near the end? :haw:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
That trailer for the anime looks brilliant. Will there be any high class organizations providing fansubs? I don't watch anime often, so I don't know this stuff.

As for Ultimate Mayonnaise Arena, I hope this means that the game will have more than ten fighters. I guess I'm just really hoping that Persona 3 has Yukari and a few other P3 Vets in it. :ohdear:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm unironically happy that the anime seems to be continuing the original's legacy of J-pop battle themes.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

"Surprising" character? Koromaru?

This does make it sound like there's more characters than the ten slots currently on the select screen, though. Naoto and Teddy are pretty much givens, which brings us to eight, and add a couple more P3s, some surprises, and at least one original character, and we could be looking at a decent sized roster (for an Arc Systems game).

An original character's kind of a cool idea, though for a fanservice game you have to wonder if it's worth it when you could just put in another fan-favorite. But then, Ruby Heart was pretty cool.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
If Mortal Kombat can have Zombie Liu Kang, P4: Ultimate can have Zombie Shinjiro. Seriously though, I'd like to see Margaret or Elizabeth make it in. I'm still wondering who the villain is going to be in this game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

jonjonaug posted:

I really don't like the way everything seems to be amber tinted, but other than that it looks nice. Do we know what name the main character is going to be known as?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

I really don't like the way everything seems to be amber tinted, but other than that it looks nice. Do we know what name the main character is going to be known as?

Yu Narukami.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

If Mortal Kombat can have Zombie Liu Kang, P4: Ultimate can have Zombie Shinjiro. Seriously though, I'd like to see Margaret or Elizabeth make it in. I'm still wondering who the villain is going to be in this game.

He's not a zombie, drat it! Shinjiroooooooo!!!

Seriously, Atlus, put them in.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like some Persona 1 or 2 love in the fighting roster, personally.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd like some Persona 1 or 2 love in the fighting roster, personally.

Kick Naoto to the curb and let Maya be the game's gunner.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

TurnipFritter posted:

Kick Naoto to the curb and let Maya be the game's gunner.

I was hesitating on saying something like this, but yeah, I'd love Maya to be in the game. Hell keep Naoto in, I like Naoto too, but at the same time I'd love to see what some of the P2 characters look like 11 years later.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Elly and Baufu would be pretty cool, rapier and shooting coins infused with ki or whatever. I'd want Nanjo, Ulala and Ginko as well but I think their weapons are already covered...

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So is anyone going to make a persona 2 thread? It's gonna be my first time playing it on tuesday so I know I'm gonna have alot of questions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'll throw one together now.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
From the fighting game thread here is how mayonaise arena actually works including a moveset.

Most of its mechanics are cribbed from Blazblue, and it looks like the Personas are tied to specials, although the "Persona Rush" thing hasn't been explained yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Those mechanics aren't even remotely cribbed from BlazBlue though? Burst and Roman Cancel aren't a BB original thing and those are the only two things that look pretty similar. And the Burst works mechanically like the GG one, not the BB one.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress that, if they dont get Demi-Fiend instead, I'll bitch.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Demi-fiend and Raidou would be the best set of characters to get, but the chances of that are pretty drat low I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dante shows up again, ported directly from MvC3.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

casual poster posted:

So is anyone going to make a persona 2 thread? It's gonna be my first time playing it on tuesday so I know I'm gonna have alot of questions.

Ok done

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437649

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
awesomeeeeeee

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ImpAtom posted:

Dante shows up again, ported directly from MvC3.

All of my money.

I mean, I don't play fighting games, but I reckon this one might be decent.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Atlus released some Persona 4 The Golden screenshots for TGS

They're not native resolution and like half of them are repeats, but we get to see some snippets of new anime scenes (such as a victim dangling from power line!)

vvv Really? I'm not sure, it was just the one anime scene in those screenshots I hadn't seen before.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 17, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

Atlus released some Persona 4 The Golden screenshots for TGS

They're not native resolution and like half of them are repeats, but we get to see some snippets of new anime scenes (such as a victim dangling from power line!)

Wasn't that in the original game?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Really liking how much the looks of inside your house and the strip club dungeon have improved in those screenshots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's the website that launched today. There's some (very little it seems) information on the new additions to P4G (SOS button, skill inheritance etc.), but naturally all in Japanese.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
This is a rough (possibly incorrect) translation of Marie's description on the site:

"A new girl the main character will meet in this game. The player will forge a social link with her and accompany her to various places. She takes a cold and indifferent stance towards her surroundings but also has a naive, more honest side to her. She seems to have an embarrassing hobby that she can't tell anyone else about..."

I guess she might be tsundere or something?

VV Rise is way better than Yukiko's boring rear end. VV

Aquans fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Aquans posted:

This is a rough (possibly incorrect) translation of Marie's description on the site:

"A new girl the main character will meet in this game. The player will forge a social link with her and accompany her to various places. She takes a cold and indifferent stance towards her surroundings but also has a naive, more honest side to her. She to have something embarrassing she enjoys that she can't tell anyone else about..."

I guess she might be tsundere or something?

I'm just trying to figure out where I would fit the time to pursue a social link for her.

Assuming she isn't obnoxious anyway. I always ignore Rise, for example.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Rinkles posted:

Here's the website that launched today. There's some (very little it seems) information on the new additions to P4G (SOS button, skill inheritance etc.), but naturally all in Japanese.

God, the protagonist is so goddamn smug.
Look at that devious grin. :smug:

I guess I'm going to have to buy a PSV at this rate, it seems Atlus maybe gave up on those other SMT games for the 3DS?

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Some extended footage of P4: Ultimate here:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/previews/tgs-2011-hands-on-persona-4-the-ultimate-with-egm-exclusive-footage/

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Aquans posted:

Rise is way better than Yukiko's boring rear end.

How does it feel to be a misogynist?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

HarveyVdarski posted:

How does it feel to be a misogynist?

How does it feel to white knight a fictional character?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm sensing the potential here for a derail worse than the seasonal Aigis ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I have strong feelings about [video game girlfriend]!