Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

If you're on EPRP and not SERO, then there should just be the one $10 "premium data" fee on top of your base monthly rate when you activate a new smartphone, whether its 4G capable or not. There's a "smartphone" $10 fee and a separate "4G" $10 fee if you're on SERO and have some permutation of those features.

Note: The LG Marquee is a snapdragon 3G only phone, so for SERO users who want to save $10, it is likely the best option once it launches in early October.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow I am glad I at least skimmed the thread and saw all the Samsung hate. My wife and I have Palm Pres right now. My wife loves hers and I do like mine too, but it's been starting to randomly reboot or shut off. Also, it doesn't support streaming AAC codecs really well, so it has messed up me listening to a lot of shoutcast stuff.

I saw the HTC EVO Shift and initially thought the Samsung was slightly better on paper, but I assume the HTC tends to not poo poo its pants. Do I dare ask: can anybody contrast the user experience between that and the Epic (edit: assuming the Samsung Epic doesn't poo poo out)? It looks like you really can't compare everything on specs alone.

Android keyboard options on Sprint (and really all carriers) kinda suck right now, the Shift is a good phone if you buy it used, but wasting a 2 year pricing on it is really not smart anymore.

Matlock posted:

The Photon is faster, has better reception, more on-board storage, and has a camera for the same price. Plus, with Google owning Motorola it'd be hard to ignore the likely better support over time.

I see no point in unlocking a CDMA/4G phone at this point, given that ROM support for 4G weaves in and out of workability all the time.

They are equal phones honestly, so it comes down to preference. Personally, I would buy the 3D over the Photon again, i like Sense 3.0 better and I feel the screen looks nicer (fyi I am a bad judge at screen quality, so that could be wrong). Any betting on one being greater than the other is kind of missing the point of having the options. I think the Photon is kind of wide too.

I currently have a Evo 3D and Nexus S on Sprint, and the weird thing i have been running into: the Nexus S hangs onto 4G better than the 3D (or seems to). At my apartment the Nexus always has 4G, but the 3D will eventually time out, and in certain rooms not get it at all. Really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Matlock posted:

I own a LG Optimus S and haven't owned a Motorola or HTC phone since 2008. Before my current phone, I had a Samsung Reclaim :shobon:.

How do you like the Optimus S?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Epic sucks, but it doesn't suck this bad. There's absolutely something wrong with your phone. I can't say if it's bad flash memory, bad CPU, or possibly some radio NVRAM weirdness that's causing the radio to fuckup and lockup the device.

Apologies if you already did the reflash I mentioned a few days ago. But if you flash to stock EC05 once more with "Phone EFS Clear" checked in Odin, that will clear the radio NVRAM and cause your phone to redo hands-free activatin. It's also quite likely that it won't reactivate automatically. If you can, activating a different phone online and switching back should fix it. If you can't (e.g., SERO user) then a call to *2 and they'll reset whatever they have to do on their end to get it to activate.

If that doesn't clear it, $35 to Sprint and they should make it good.

I realize you don't even like the Epic at this point. But you're still under subsidy and it should be able to operate for you far better than it has. Even if you'll never touch it again, you could at least dump it on eBay or something.

Thanks for the response. I am going to do what you suggested and flash to EC05 and make sure the radio NVRAM is cleared. Even if I don't keep the phone, I still want to be able to get some money for it off of ebay. It is tough to not associate all of this trouble over the past year with the model of the phone. Also, hearing how much everyone hates it doesn't help matters.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

RagingHematoma posted:

How do you like the Optimus S?

It's good, but after owning a TouchPad and knowing that I could be easily doing more, I want more power.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Is there a documented problem with the Touch Pro 2 randomly turning off? My battery is currently at 50% and it's turned off twice in the past hour. Or it turns off 1/10 incoming phone calls. It also freezes when I'm composing a text and a text comes in.

I wanted to wait until mid-October to see the whole deal with the iPhone 5, but given the recent performance of the TP2, I don't know.

I have TEP. What's the best course of action? Get it replaced under TEP, flip it and then upgrade to the Galaxy S 2?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Has anyone here had an issue with "error 16"? I rooted/flashed CM7 to my sister's Evo Shift a few days ago, and it was fine until this morning when it stopped letting her make or receive calls or texts. 4g data worked, nothing else. It has a recorded message saying something like "cannot complete your call, error 16. Please hold while we transfer you to Sprint technical support" and then immediately after it has another message saying to just call Sprint (which she can't do without a working phone, derp)

I googled around and it seems it's an issue on Sprint's end with some security thing that triggers when a different rom than stock shows up being run on the phone. So I called them, they said they'd do a network refresh, and twenty minutes later her phone was working again. Then it did it again tonight, I'm assuming after she switched towers (needing to reauthenticate?) after leaving work.

Obviously this makes the phone really unreliable, and I'm not sure what I can do about it short of flashing back to the stock rom, I guess? Some people on other forums said they had the issue running stock phones, so I'm not sure what's up. I'm going to try calling Sprint again in a minute and see what they can do, but if anyone has any advice I'd like to hear it.

bobula fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 17, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

MrCodeDude posted:

Is there a documented problem with the Touch Pro 2 randomly turning off? My battery is currently at 50% and it's turned off twice in the past hour. Or it turns off 1/10 incoming phone calls. It also freezes when I'm composing a text and a text comes in.

I wanted to wait until mid-October to see the whole deal with the iPhone 5, but given the recent performance of the TP2, I don't know.

I have TEP. What's the best course of action? Get it replaced under TEP, flip it and then upgrade to the Galaxy S 2?
I'd try a hard reset, followed by a full charge and full discharge of the battery (to hopefully calibrate it). If that doesn't fix it, then yeah, replace it with TEP.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

bobula posted:

Has anyone here had an issue with "error 16"? I rooted/flashed CM7 to my sister's Evo Shift a few days ago...

I did the same thing to my phone last saturday and haven't had any issues.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I should tell my mom to go to the Sprint store and ask them for an iPhone. :v:

Seriously, though, maybe I should have her wait until next month... she has friends with the iPhone, so they can provide her lessons and tech support. Win-win for me!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I should tell my mom to go to the Sprint store and ask them for an iPhone. :v:

You sir, are a horrible, sadistic person. :)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

oxbrain posted:

I did the same thing to my phone last saturday and haven't had any issues.

It turns out their network refresh didn't reach all of the towers in my area, so they forced a refresh on the servers that host our towers and everything is cool again. Hope it sticks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the Samsung Replenish run Samsung's custom-brewed Android (a la the Epic) or does it run normal Android?

Also, what happens when you dial 1#?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Does the Samsung Replenish run Samsung's custom-brewed Android (a la the Epic) or does it run normal Android?

Also, what happens when you dial 1#?

Stock 2.2, and #1 should call voicemail.

When factoring price ranges the Replenish is probably the best Samsung Sprint phone released in years. Great phone for its price, just keep in mind it is NOT a phone for even medium users, but it rather a great "my first smartphone." The Optimus is the better phone, but the Replenish saves $10 a month, which most people like more.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 17, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got my parents onto Sprint on 1/1/2010. They have two lines on a family plan, what kind of upgrade can they look forward too?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I got my parents onto Sprint on 1/1/2010. They have two lines on a family plan, what kind of upgrade can they look forward too?

They'll be eligible for a full upgrade on November 1st, 2011 (that's 22 months later unless my math is horrible), so new customer pricing then. Replenish at most is $30 after rebate, can probably get it online for $0, just check around.

Note that Sprint is cracking down on 14 day upgrade bumps, but you could possibly bump it up to October 18th.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Each line would get a full upgrade? Or just the primary one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Each line would get a full upgrade? Or just the primary one?

All lines are eligible for an upgrade every 22 months, so both should be eligible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Awesome, thanks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Has this been posted yet?

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/09/sprint-upgrading-existing-3g-coverage-area-to-evdo-rev-b-october-7th/

Just saw this linked on XDA in the Evo 3D forums, I hope to god it's true. Current 3G speeds are crap.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

big mean giraffe posted:

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/09/sprint-upgrading-existing-3g-coverage-area-to-evdo-rev-b-october-7th/

Just saw this linked on XDA in the Evo 3D forums, I hope to god it's true. Current 3G speeds are crap.

this would be awesome, faster 3g and iPhone would be a very good thing for sprint

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

big mean giraffe posted:

Finally some good news.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

big mean giraffe posted:

I really hope that's true. 4G here isn't worth poo poo.

Also, this will make the 3D amazing when they change the Nextel frequencies over to 3G.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

atomicvocabulary posted:

this would be awesome, faster 3g and iPhone would be a very good thing for sprint

There's only a couple Rev B ready phones, but wouldn't a firmware update bring Rev A phones up?

Matlock fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 18, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

Well, this is one of the nicest things I've read all day regarding phones. Shame the likelihood of Sprint acknowledging Omaha in their network plans is so low it might as well be nil.

(Thanks for the 4G, I just love having to be over at the river or in the parking lot of a mall out in the suburbs to get so much as a whisper)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

The Entire Universe posted:

Well, this is one of the nicest things I've read all day regarding phones. Shame the likelihood of Sprint acknowledging Omaha in their network plans is so low it might as well be nil.

(Thanks for the 4G, I just love having to be over at the river or in the parking lot of a mall out in the suburbs to get so much as a whisper)

For how close we are to KC it is pretty sad on how slow and weak the 3g signal is in Omaha.

Which mall gets 4g? I've gotten the 4g at the river for like 100 meters of space. Man that youtube video loaded up fast for 10 seconds.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

big mean giraffe posted:

Would this be like 'flip a switch and it's on' or would it be more of a rollout like with 4g? 3g speed are so godawful around here so it'd be really nice to be able to download things quickly.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I just wish I didn't go from full 3G to 1 bar of 1x by simply entering my office or any other building. Building penetration is awful here and I'm guessing the network plan won't do anything to fix this.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Krittick posted:

I just wish I didn't go from full 3G to 1 bar of 1x by simply entering my office or any other building. Building penetration is awful here and I'm guessing the network plan won't do anything to fix this.
As far as I know, part of Network Vision is rolling out CDMA on the Nextel 800mhz band, which will help building penetration. But you'd need a phone that supports it, and I think only the Evo 3D and Epic 4G Touch are compatible at the moment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Would this be like 'flip a switch and it's on' or would it be more of a rollout like with 4g?
It'd have to be rolled out, probably going to happen as part of Network Vision.

Which, if so, I wouldn't expect rev B to hit markets any sooner than WiMAX (or LTE or whichever they're going to push for Network Vision). The upshot is that rev B will have better penetration than current 2.5 GHz WiMAX, so it's an improvement in areas where you can't get a 2.5 GHz signal.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

3g speed are so godawful around here so it'd be really nice to be able to download things quickly.
Bad news: Past EVDO revisions required new radios in handsets. I'm not sure if any of Sprint's existing phones support rev B.

Good news: Rev A is reasonably fast as it is. I don't think Sprint's problem here is channel capacity but limited backhaul. So if they do backhaul upgrades for Network Vision, even rev A folks will see considerable improvement. This is very much like the T-Mo "4G" rollout where even 3G phones see considerable speed improvement due to backhaul upgrades.

Krittick posted:

Building penetration is awful here and I'm guessing the network plan won't do anything to fix this.
SMR band CDMA, which Sprint intends to roll out as soon as iDen is finally shutdown, should improve this considerably. Unfortunately this requires an SMR-band capable handset. The Evo 3D is SMR-band capable, but from what I can tell, the Photon isn't.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Bad news: Past EVDO revisions required new radios in handsets. I'm not sure if any of Sprint's existing phones support rev B.

Doesn't the Evo 3D and Epic Touch 4G support rev B?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Evo 3D and Epic Touch support Rev. B. The Vogue was Rev. 0 and was upgraded via firmware to Rev. A.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Wark posted:

As far as I know, part of Network Vision is rolling out CDMA on the Nextel 800mhz band, which will help building penetration. But you'd need a phone that supports it, and I think only the Evo 3D and Epic 4G Touch are compatible at the moment.

Oh, fantastic news. I have an EVO 3D so I can't wait for this to happen. Switching PRLs and missing texts as a result is what I've been doing when I NEED a signal, but I always worry about going over 300MB of usage and getting flagged.

It will be awesome being able to listen to Google Music or Spotify from my desk at work instead of constantly switching out my local music whenever my mood changes.

I love Sprint because it's amazingly fast when I get a signal outside, and the phone selections are always nice. I also never get dropped calls or texts, and the sound quality is fantastic no matter who I call. Cheap plans too compared to AT&T, and unlimited data is essential to me considering I use 3-5gb per month on average. (IP Webcam streaming and media streaming during daily walks / laundromat).

The Google Voice integration is also the best solution ever since I always used my GV number for texts on AT&T with no texting plan. Now I can actually use normal SMS apps with the same number.

Only complaints are the bad track record I've seen with customer service and the building penetration thing.

Side note: any way to get mms working with the GV number instead of the normal Sprint number? Googling says no but I'd love input on this if anyone has found otherwise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Matlock posted:

The Vogue was Rev. 0 and was upgraded via firmware to Rev. A.
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if it had a hardware-compatible rev A radio, but for whatever reason (spec finalization?) was limited to rev 0 on release.

The multi-carrier part of rev B is something I'd expect to require hardware support for in the radio.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if it had a hardware-compatible rev A radio, but for whatever reason (spec finalization?) was limited to rev 0 on release.

The multi-carrier part of rev B is something I'd expect to require hardware support for in the radio.

I remember the 6800 getting EVDO Rev A. While it only needed a firmware update, it was one of the first Sprint phones to have the necessary hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rev A to B upgrade works the same way.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krittick posted:

Side note: any way to get mms working with the GV number instead of the normal Sprint number? Googling says no but I'd love input on this if anyone has found otherwise.
Nope, there's no support for MMS on GV.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

td4guy posted:

Nope, there's no support for MMS on GV.

Figured as much. At least people don't mind having two numbers for me for the most part.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
I'm currently with T-mobile with a nexus one and am considering switching to Sprint. I really don't have any idea if sprint will end up getting a Nexus Prime variant but if they do that's probably when I'd make the switch. I'm trying to match the old-style t-mobile even more plus plan (no contract, cheap monthly rate, and you can just buy whatever phone and activate it) as closely as possible.

There's a few details that don't seem very clear about the employee referral plans. I was probably going to go with the $59.99 / mo Everything Data unless there's a better way to do this.
- Am I going to be able to buy the phone independently and activate it through sprint without trouble?
- Is there a contract required to get the plan or are you forced on a 1 or 2 year contract when you purchase a phone through them?
- Assuming Sprint does get the next nexus and I have a choice in the matter, would I be better off financially signing a contract assuming I stick it out for the duration? I could probably stomach a 1 year contract if it would benefit me. A 2 year contract feels like an awfully long commitment unless I'd be an idiot not to take the subsidy or something.
- I get that there's a $10 a month smartphone fee, but is there any extra fee for 4g?
- Am I able to get the $125 switch-to-Sprint credit with the employee referral plan? Can I do that if I sign up for the plan online?
- Do I have to pay extra for usb tethering and wi-fi hotspot if I use the nexus? Right now, my nexus one is unrestricted in that regard and I think t-mobile typically charges for it.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Just ordered a Samsung Epic 4G Touch to replace my ailing Palm Pre. It should arrive not this Wednesday, but the one after it--I can't wait.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

corpsed posted:

Just ordered a Samsung Epic 4G Touch to replace my ailing Palm Pre. It should arrive not this Wednesday, but the one after it--I can't wait.

I'm seeing complaints about the wifi and 3g radio not having the best reception, similar to what was seen with the Nexus S.

I'm holding out till October or early November. If the consensus shows the Epic Touch 4G to be a lovely phone, I'll try to stretch the wait a few more months and be happy with this hacked Xandroid on my TP2.

Maybe we'll get the Nexus Prime before it gets too unbearable.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Once T-Mobile forces me to get off my cushy $10/month employee account, I'm probably going to switch to Sprint. It's pretty tough to decide between the Epic 4G Touch, the hypothetical iPhone 5, the hypothetical Nexus, or the Photon. I'm a little bored of Android, though - are there any rumors of a new Windows Phone coming out for Sprint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aineris posted:

I'm currently with T-mobile with a nexus one and am considering switching to Sprint. I really don't have any idea if sprint will end up getting a Nexus Prime variant but if they do that's probably when I'd make the switch. I'm trying to match the old-style t-mobile even more plus plan (no contract, cheap monthly rate, and you can just buy whatever phone and activate it) as closely as possible.

There's a few details that don't seem very clear about the employee referral plans. I was probably going to go with the $59.99 / mo Everything Data unless there's a better way to do this.
- Am I going to be able to buy the phone independently and activate it through sprint without trouble?
- Is there a contract required to get the plan or are you forced on a 1 or 2 year contract when you purchase a phone through them?
- Assuming Sprint does get the next nexus and I have a choice in the matter, would I be better off financially signing a contract assuming I stick it out for the duration? I could probably stomach a 1 year contract if it would benefit me. A 2 year contract feels like an awfully long commitment unless I'd be an idiot not to take the subsidy or something.
- I get that there's a $10 a month smartphone fee, but is there any extra fee for 4g?
- Am I able to get the $125 switch-to-Sprint credit with the employee referral plan? Can I do that if I sign up for the plan online?
- Do I have to pay extra for usb tethering and wi-fi hotspot if I use the nexus? Right now, my nexus one is unrestricted in that regard and I think t-mobile typically charges for it.

I can answer this !

-regardless of whether you buy a phone or bring your own, you MUST sign a contract with sprint. The only upside to bringing used equiment is you keep new pricing eligibility for later.
- usb tethering is extra, it technically is on tmobile too. If you are smart enough to root your phone and use a third party app, sprint so far has overlooked that
-$125 credit goes till October 1st,make sure you switch by end of month
-$10 a month fee includes 4G
-sprint only does 2 year contracts

You seem to def want the next nexus, so here is my input if you want to switch to sprint:

Buy an EVO off Craigslist and activate that on sprint. You still qualify for the $125 credit as long as you switch before October 1. This will also retain new customer pricing. When the nexus comes out, you would basically use new customer pricing to "upgrade" to the new phone.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Once T-Mobile forces me to get off my cushy $10/month employee account, I'm probably going to switch to Sprint. It's pretty tough to decide between the Epic 4G Touch, the hypothetical iPhone 5, the hypothetical Nexus, or the Photon. I'm a little bored of Android, though - are there any rumors of a new Windows Phone coming out for Sprint?

I could be wrong, but right now my sources say no way. Honestly, sprint got burned by the arrive so i doubt it is in a hurry to get another windows phone. Sorry man.