Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Is it the scene where he farts and the sharks get scared away?

It is indeed.

I'm a little frustrated that they didn't think to include the theatrical cut, but then they probably figured no one would give a poo poo. Which sucks, because the scene is really unnecessary, and pushes the toilet humor from cute to annoying.

And yeah, thank goodness it's not in smell-o-vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GonSmithe posted:

Is it the scene where he farts and the sharks get scared away?

Because that was a deleted scene that they added when they re-released it in theaters as a "SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION."
I would have been pissed that I went to see it again for only one scene if it wasn't such a damned good movie.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007
Well... I did it. I bought the Star Wars Saga pack. 79.99 at Best Buy, comes with a free Darth Vader shirt. The packaging is solid and the artwork on the box is nice, although I wish they had made at least 4 different box covers to choose from. Asking too much? I think not.

I've grown up loving Star Wars with all my heart. I "accepted" Episodes I-III for what they were and once I realized it would be more expensive to buy them seperately (Ep IV-VI are $40 as well as Ep I-III, plus no bonus features and no shirt) I opted for the Box set. I don't mind the CGI additions to the originals because I still own the original trilogy on VHS from the early 90's, untouched visually and edit-wise. I copied those onto my computer for nostalgia.

With the right home theater set-up(mine is badass) Episodes I-III are worth the purchase for the audio alone. I like my house to shake when poo poo goes boom.

EDIT: Sale ends today. Regular price tomorrow is $129.99.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr Assinine posted:

Well... I did it. I bought the Star Wars Saga pack.

You are the reason why Lucas can be such a horrible person.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sporadic posted:

You are the reason why Lucas can be such a horrible person.

He is an enabler. He needs to learn how to say no, otherwise the cycle will continue.

You're tearing this family apart, George! :qq:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Dr Assinine posted:

With the right home theater set-up(mine is badass) Episodes I-III are worth the purchase for the audio alone. I like my house to shake when poo poo goes boom.

I will never understand why people buy lovely movies purely as audio or visual demonstration material. As if your subwoofer shaking your house off its foundations is worth sitting through six hours of wooden acting, boring CG, and trade disputes. There aren't exactly a dearth of good films with quality transfers on Blu-Ray.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 17, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I hate to be that guy but since George Lucas literally measures success by how much money his poo poo makes, people like you are giving him even less reason to smart up about how to release these films.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The New and Improved Blu-Ray Megathread: The New and Worse Star Wars Blu-Ray Megathread.

Also did anyone get 13 Asssasins on BR yet? What's it like?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The New and Improved Blu-Ray Megathread: The New and Worse Star Wars Blu-Ray Megathread.

Also just wondering what are some good concert Blu Rays? Any genre.

Caught that ninja edit.

I highly recommend Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time and the fan project This One Is On Us (compiled from 700+ GB of raw footage Trent Reznor released from three shows, it's only $10 for the Blu-Ray or you can watch the whole thing on Youtube) http://nin.thisoneisonus.org/node/4 Both are impressive both PQ & AQ wise.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Can't go wrong with Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid is amazing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
NIN - Beside You In time
Bruce Springsteen - London Calling: Live In Hyde Park
Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

And while it's not exactly great visually, Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same sounds pretty loving good.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The two Hendrix blu-rays are great, Woodstock and Monterey

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Caught that ninja edit.

Ha thanks :)

I've got all the NIN stuff on DVD already, all the bootlegs and Trent Released stuff too.

Thanks to everyone else too!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 17, 2011

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Just about everyone I know caved and bought the god drat horrible Star Wars box set. Thanks everyone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Monterey Pop is amazing on blu-ray.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rocco posted:

Just about everyone I know caved and bought the god drat horrible Star Wars box set. Thanks everyone.

Goddammit.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rocco posted:

I might buy it a couple of years from now if it's on sale for $20.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I might buy it a couple of years from now if it's on sale for $20.

Lol, like it will ever get that inexpensive.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol, like it will ever get that inexpensive.

Used copies are gonna be cheap as gently caress when the Platinum Edition comes out, and in that one Alderaan fires first and Alec Guinness is replaced by Ewan McGregor.

And because it's poetry and it rhymes, Darth Vader will be real mincey and talk about his feelings a lot.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Goddammit.

I was looking on the horrible bluray.com forums and some goober was showing off how he bought all three sets.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Safe Driver posted:

I was looking on the horrible bluray.com forums and some goober was showing off how he bought all three sets.

Why

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why

Star Wars causes autism.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rocco posted:

I saw it at the store today and put it in my cart. I felt bad and kept thinking about it. I eventually put it back, because the way I looked at, $80 is a lot for two good movies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I might get the Star Wars blu-ray because I like Star Wars, by all accounts the set is high quality, and I think I can look past 3 seconds of one of the films which has been slightly modified with a corny sound effect.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I watched the deleted scenes from the IV, V, VI bonus disc last night and watched the Death Star II "featurette" (there's tons of prop overviews, making ofs,etc in addition to general interviews and background information for each movie). The bonus discs are very high quality and beefed up versions of the Making The Magic CDs from the late 90s.

For the IV, V, VI bonus disc itself, I'd drop $20 alone without a second thought.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I've been tempted to buy the sets, since it recently occurred to me the only versions of Star Wars I own is the VHS set with the giant faces on the covers. However, I can't shake the feeling that this the one time where having never upgraded from a VHS is completely acceptable.

Still, that bonus disc...

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Can't go wrong with Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

Holy crap, thank you! I forgot this was on blu-ray and didn't have the money to spend on it when it first came out. Now I wonder how many other awesome releases I've forgotten about since then.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some preorder news.

Fernando Di Leo crime collection is coming out December 6th. Preorder is only $34.99 on Amazon ($8.75 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005MTHRDM

quote:

The inspiration for Quentin Tarantino s early films, Fernando Di Leo is the master of garish, intricately plotted, ultra-violent stories about pimps and petty gangsters who perfects the genre with an uncanny accuracy. For the first time digitally restored from the original 35mm negative and remastered in collaboration with the Venice Film Festival, 4 of Fernando Di Leo s masterpieces in one box set which includes: Caliber 9 (Milano Calibro 9, 1972), The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina, 1972), The Boss (Il Boss, 1973), Rulers Of The City (Padroni della citta, 1976) Now available for the first time on Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

After skimming Citizen Kane, it's one of the few discs I've been able to compare to an actual 35mm screening. The grain, contrast, detail, and framing is almost identical to the print I saw. The only exception is the constant light dirt and scratches. Warner's restoration is amazing. Although, I did notice a lot of digital freeze-frames in the "News on the March" segment for any "still" shots like the text cards, the close-up of the Kane-Alexander scandal on the front page, and the end of one shot showing an office closed. Considering the restoration was supposedly from the only surviving fine-grain positive, there might have been serious damage.

Also, the Amazon exclusive The Magnificent Ambersons looks great, too. This should have been a Blu-Ray since it's clear they have a stunning HD transfer on hand.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Sporadic posted:

Some preorder news.

Fernando Di Leo crime collection is coming out December 6th. Preorder is only $34.99 on Amazon ($8.75 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005MTHRDM

This is awesome, I had no idea about it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I feel bad that I've never even heard of the guy. That looks like a super loving interesting set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The NYT mentions Buster Keaton's Seven Chances as coming from Kino in December.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I feel bad that I've never even heard of the guy. That looks like a super loving interesting set.

I looked him up and apparently he wrote For A Few Dollars More and Massacre Time. Of that set, I've only seen Caliber 9 and it's kind of amazing. The whole poliziotteschi genre is kind of a blind spot for me, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

I looked him up and apparently he wrote For A Few Dollars More and Massacre Time. Of that set, I've only seen Caliber 9 and it's kind of amazing. The whole poliziotteschi genre is kind of a blind spot for me, though.

I'd imagine I'd feel the same way, if I had any experience there. Any recommendations?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I'd imagine I'd feel the same way, if I had any experience there. Any recommendations?

I'm sure there's a million people here who know way more about it than I do, but try Caliber 9. The Blood Hands of the Law is pretty cool, too. It's grim as gently caress and it's got Klaus Kinski blowtorching a guy's dick off.

Also, I've never seen Deodato's contribution to the genre but it has one of the best posters I've ever seen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

penismightier posted:

I'm sure there's a million people here who know way more about it than I do, but try Caliber 9. The Blood Hands of the Law is pretty cool, too. It's grim as gently caress and it's got Klaus Kinski blowtorching a guy's dick off.

Also, I've never seen Deodato's contribution to the genre but it has one of the best posters I've ever seen.

That poster is loving ridiculous.

I mean that in a good way though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

That loving hand.

I love it.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Ben-Hur looks quite nice. Thankfully it's been spread over 2 Blu-Rays.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/ben-hur.htm
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/81261

Packaging looks great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Criminal Minded posted:

The Italian Connection is easily one of the best films of the genre and Di Leo's films truly are the benchmark for the genre (although Rulers of the City is pretty drat goofy). I've seen all four films and will absolutely be buying that boxset asap.

I need to find that Deodato film!

• Locked thread