Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

japtor posted:

Yeah I'm just assuming the promo pricing is essentially upgrade pricing as well, remember that you can knock off another $10 with the FUSION20 (20% off) code too.

Still ridiculous that I can change from fusion to parallels for less than I can upgrade a program I have already purchased at every upgrade cycle. Looks like it's time to see what the parallels team has been up to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

brc64 posted:

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

This sounds like pretty strange behavior, but the first thing I would do is go into the Preferences for Apple Mail, and under General make sure that you have your default mail reader set to Sparrow. Odds are, whenever you go to compose a new message by clicking on mail link in a browser or something, it's calling up Mail to compose, thus opening the app and downloading all your new messages.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Softcox posted:

That's very odd. Does it just open in the main window, or composing a message?

I will hear the "woosh" sound or whatever that tells me I've got mail, and when I look, Mail is open on the dock. The actual window doesn't appear until I click the dock icon, though. Like it's launching in the background just so it can check my mail.

ripburger posted:

This sounds like pretty strange behavior, but the first thing I would do is go into the Preferences for Apple Mail, and under General make sure that you have your default mail reader set to Sparrow. Odds are, whenever you go to compose a new message by clicking on mail link in a browser or something, it's calling up Mail to compose, thus opening the app and downloading all your new messages.

I just checked that. Sparrow is the default client. I did change "check for new messages" to manually, though, so we'll see how that does. I don't even have Mail in my dock anymore, so I know I'm not accidentally opening it that way.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 17, 2011

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Anyone else seeing this behavior with iChat (Version 6.0 (927)) & AIM under Lion? It either never sends, doesn't receive, or ignores the logout signal you can send when logging in from another location, so I continue to be logged in at both locations.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

brc64 posted:

I will hear the "woosh" sound or whatever that tells me I've got mail, and when I look, Mail is open on the dock. The actual window doesn't appear until I click the dock icon, though. Like it's launching in the background just so it can check my mail.

I just checked that. Sparrow is the default client. I did change "check for new messages" to manually, though, so we'll see how that does. I don't even have Mail in my dock anymore, so I know I'm not accidentally opening it that way.

Do you have iCal alerts set up to email you? I have run across the mystery "Whoosh" before, and figured out that it was iCal sending me an email reminder. I use Mail.app, but in your case it might ignore your change of default client.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Do you guys have any recommendations for a task/project manager with an iOS companion app? I have a Things (http://itunes.apple.com/app/things/id407951449?mt=12) for Mac license, but don't want to shell out $40 more for the iOS apps.

Nested projects with tasks, alerts, etc. would be nice.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

pipebomb posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a task/project manager with an iOS companion app? I have a Things (http://itunes.apple.com/app/things/id407951449?mt=12) for Mac license, but don't want to shell out $40 more for the iOS apps.

I was going to recommend FireTask but since you don't want to spend $40 for the iOS apps $40 + $10 + $6 probably won't do much for you.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Actually trying this out: http://www.iprocrastinateapp.com/mac/

Cheap, seems to have most of the features I need and syncs with Dropbox. no iPad app, but seems to be in the works.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Somehow I've killed the dashboard on my MBA (I think in Mission Control I clicked the X to close it's window) and now I cannot get it back. I can click on the app but it does nothing. There are a few stickies in there that I really would like to get the info off of. How can I relaunch the Dashboard?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/ this works perfectly for kb+m sharing between mac and windows. Way better than synergy.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

strokevictim posted:

Do you have iCal alerts set up to email you? I have run across the mystery "Whoosh" before, and figured out that it was iCal sending me an email reminder. I use Mail.app, but in your case it might ignore your change of default client.

That's probably it, now that I think about it. I'll have to think about what I want to do... hmmm...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

El Jackalope posted:

Somehow I've killed the dashboard on my MBA (I think in Mission Control I clicked the X to close it's window) and now I cannot get it back. I can click on the app but it does nothing. There are a few stickies in there that I really would like to get the info off of. How can I relaunch the Dashboard?

Does it persist after rebooting? Or does that erase the info on the stickies?

Anyway, I'd check Keyboard under System Preferences, you can set a manual keyboard shortcut for the dashboard. Alternately, check Mission Control (again under System Preferences), and see if the box for 'make dashboard its own space' is checked.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

pipebomb posted:

The big competitor to Things is OmniFocus, which is even more expensive, I believe. I'm pretty happy with Things, but I use it a lot.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I have a quick question for a friend. Does anyone know if the full install with upgrade media workaround for Windows 7 will work with Boot Camp? I have a friend who's only prepared to take the plunge into Mac if he can get a student discount on a copy of Windows, and those only apply to upgrade editions.

I feel like maybe he's missing the point a little, but to each their own I guess.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crisis posted:

...those only apply to upgrade editions.

Really? I wonder what the logic is behind that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crisis posted:

I have a quick question for a friend. Does anyone know if the full install with upgrade media workaround for Windows 7 will work with Boot Camp?
Method #2 has worked for me many times with Boot Camp.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Space Racist posted:

Does it persist after rebooting? Or does that erase the info on the stickies?

Anyway, I'd check Keyboard under System Preferences, you can set a manual keyboard shortcut for the dashboard. Alternately, check Mission Control (again under System Preferences), and see if the box for 'make dashboard its own space' is checked.

Persists after reboot, a manual shortcut also doesn't bring up the dashboard, and the mission control dashboard box is checked. I'm really starting to wonder what the gently caress.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you reboot without automatically restoring windows? Maybe see if there's a way to launch the dashboard application without restoring its windows? Maybe you have to kill something in activity monitor or terminal?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It's suddenly taking 10 seconds to wake from sleep, which feels really long on a 2010 MBP.

Anyone able to decipher this log to see what's wrong?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

pipebomb posted:

Remember the Milk is good and cheap. You can access it anywhere and if you have a paid subscription they have an iPhone app as well that does offline syncing.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

It doesn't have that mode AFAIK. I used to use the EOS utility but that doesn't work inside Lion. I normally import them into iPhoto after that. I mean, my Macbook doesn't even recognize that a camera is connected but the camera does.

FIXED!! If your apple device doesn't recognize your Canon camera after upgrading to Lion you have to completely delete the EOS utility and then install this one off of the Canon asia website:
http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200102615.html

Worked fine after a reboot and 5 hours of tearing my hair out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

El Jackalope posted:

I've been having an intermittent problem with my wireless set up. Once in a while, one of the devices that I connect with will suddenly not be able to find the network (usually it is my MBA or my iPhone, but I've had all my devices run into this at one time or another). I can connect to the network manually, but it will refuse to recognize the Password to connect, insisting that whatever I type in is incorrect.

The AEBS is last year's model with the latest firmware, it connects 2 iMacs (one running snow leopard, one Lion), a MBA, a Mini, a Mac Pro, an Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone and occasionally an iPad and Kindle.

he;lp

Edit: I have a second AEBS running in the house as a bridge, it is also last years model with the latest firmware.

Still having problems with this until I reboot my AEBS by unplugging it for a while. Anyone?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

El Jackalope posted:

Try this in a terminal
code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

blk96gt posted:

Try this in a terminal
code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

Hey presto! Thanks!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A guy I do books and some light IT work for needs to run a few odd engineering programs in Windows. I've long stopped running Windows myself and I'm not sure if I should go with VMware or Parallels or something else. He won't need to run any games or anything crazy and the easier to use the better. Which should I get?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Haggins posted:

A guy I do books and some light IT work for needs to run a few odd engineering programs in Windows. I've long stopped running Windows myself and I'm not sure if I should go with VMware or Parallels or something else. He won't need to run any games or anything crazy and the easier to use the better. Which should I get?

What's wrong with VirtualBox?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Never heard of it. I'm up for anything really but I don't mind buying anything either.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Accipiter posted:

I used it to run SolidWorks and Sonnet on windows XP, haven't had any problems yet.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

My wife has been having an issue with her Mac Mini recently (it's happened twice now since I replaced our router with an Airport Extreme). She'll be connected to the wifi, but unable to access anything. Even the Airport Utility won't see the Airport, but the indicator up at the top shows she's connected to the SSID.

When this happens, I just power cycle the Airport Extreme and she comes back to life, but my MacBook Air doesn't have this problem. It'll be working fine for me and broken for her. Any clue what's going on?
Quoting myself because you fuckers aren't giving me the free tech support I'm entitled to! :argh:

Seriously, though, this just happened again tonight. I pulled up the Network Utility and she had an IP address. I opened terminal and could ping her IP address. I could ping the gateway. But Firefox and Safari told her she was offline, and the errors were instantaneous, not from timeouts.

What the gently caress? It's extraordinarily frustrating for her, especially since everything else on the wireless network is working fine. Even power cycling the Airport Extreme didn't fix it right away this time. It just started working again on its own sometime later.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
We need more information. What is your wireless network (A/B/G/N)? When did you buy the Mac Mini and the Airport Extreme? Is the Mini still under warranty? If so, have you called AppleCare?

Also the Mac Hardware thread might be more relevant here.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

We need more information. What is your wireless network (A/B/G/N)? When did you buy the Mac Mini and the Airport Extreme? Is the Mini still under warranty? If so, have you called AppleCare?

Also the Mac Hardware thread might be more relevant here.

I thought about posting in hardware, but it's a tough call right now as to whether it's a hardware or software problem.

Both the Mac Mini and Airport Extreme are less than 2 months old, with the Airport being more like a month old. It's in "Automatic" Radio Mode which seems to be providing G and N based on my other devices. We didn't buy the extended warranty on either device, and haven't tried calling Apple yet. If this is truly unheard of behavior, that's the route I'll go, but I was hoping somebody might chime in and say "oh yeah, just disable this random setting by typing this obscure command in the terminal and all your problems will go away"

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try setting a specific radio mode like N or G. Depending on where you live, the automatic radio might be getting interference from other wireless signals.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Been using TuneUp (beta) to try and clean up my disastrous music collection. Prior to that I was using MusicBrainz Picard. Is there another solution that uses GraceNote or freedb that isn't as brainless as TuneUp (and performance horrible) or as technical and clumsy as MusicBrainz Picard.

TuneUp would probably be great if my library didn't consist of >40GB of songs over a wide variety of metadata including rips I created back in ~1998 and have since had the CD collection go up in a fire.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Moeru posted:

Anyone had a problem with 1Password for iPhone not syncing with dropbox\mac desktop version? I get an error that says it can't find the file but I look in my dropbox folder and its definitely in there. AgileBits forum has people with the same issue but no fix

edit: Fixed it

How? I'm having the same problem.

e: turning off dropbox sync on osx and then back on worked for me.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 19, 2011

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
Is there an easy way to have a mac go through the "first time you boot after opening the package" without actually having to reinstall?

I want to send a mac mini to my parents. I have Lion installed. I want to get a few more things added to it though like iLife. I would to somehow log in, do the work, then delete my profile and have it boot fresh with all the setup prompts when my parents power it on.

ideas?

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

pipebomb posted:

OmniFocus is extremely awesome. It sucks that their app is $80, the iphone version is $20, and the iPad version is $40. They have the best app out there and they abuse the hell out of that. I made my work pay for the $140 in licensing though.

check out 2do: http://www.2doapp.com/en/2Do/features.html

DigitalChaos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 19, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

DigitalChaos posted:

Is there an easy way to have a mac go through the "first time you boot after opening the package" without actually having to reinstall?

I want to send a mac mini to my parents. I have Lion installed. I want to get a few more things added to it though like iLife. I would to somehow log in, do the work, then delete my profile and have it boot fresh with all the setup prompts when my parents power it on.

ideas?
Take a look at this Mac OS X Hint. If you aren't on Leopard, be sure to read the comments to see if the directions are different for other versions of OS X.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
All -

I'm staying at Caesars Palace in Vegas for the week to attend SANS Network Security 2011, and I'm currently using the absolute shittiest wireless internet I've ever seen. I'm wondering if you guys have seen this before and possibly have a workaround.

The wireless connects just fine. What I typically do whenever I'm on a public wireless network is establish an SSH tunnel back to my house, and tunnel all of my web traffic through that connection. I never have a problem with this anywhere ever, but it managed to amplify the problems I'm having here.

It seems that the wireless connection, while maintaining its link with whatever access point(s) are around, will drop out randomly. Incidentally, I've found that I can USUALLY jump-start the connection and wake it back up by opening the AirPort menu in the menu bar. Every time you do this, it starts looking for networks in the area to populate the list in the menu. Once it completes its "Looking for Networks..." cycle, my wireless connection starts working again - but only for a few minutes until it dies.

I should note that this behavior happens in the hotel with or without the SSH tunnel.

I've had this MacBook Pro for over a year now, and I've been using Lion on it since the day of its release. I am constantly using wireless networks (both at home, at work, and out), and this is the only time I've ever seen anything like this. I'm wondering if it has to do with the sheer number of people using wireless saturating the channels, but I honestly have no idea what the real problem is or how to fix it.

Thoughts?

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 19, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I can't imagine using wireless networks at a conference, much less a security conference working very well at all. The amount of interference must be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
This is why I bring an Airport Express with me on trips like that.