Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Experto Crede posted:

Bit of an odd one this, and I think only UK goons can help.

In Secondary School up until year ten, we used a series of books in maths which were colour coded by year. Year seven was yellow, year eight was light blue and year nine was red (I think).

The main thing I remember, in year seven at least, was that each chapter had a page at the beginning which presented an interesting problem based in that chapter's topic.

Specifically, there was a puzzle that went along the lines of "A rich Arab died and left his seven (or something. Can't remember...) Camels to his three sons, which they couldn't equally distribute. One of the sons borrowed a neighbour's camel and split them up with one left over which they gave back to their neighbour.

Does anyone remember the books or the exact puzzle and how the hell it works?

Hopefully someone can! This is driving me crazy!

Here you go. Beware, the solution is on the page if you scroll down far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Besesoth posted:

Here you go. Beware, the solution is on the page if you scroll down far enough.

It was worded differently, but I believe that was the gist of it.

Thank you so much!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
How do I pack a box so that the corners don't all get caved in during shipping?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

How do I pack a box so that the corners don't all get caved in during shipping?

Unless you have some styrofoam inserts that brace the box corners from the inside, they're likely to get mushed some as the shipping guys toss your box around. A little corner smush probably won't hurt as long as you make sure the thing inside the box isn't near a corner (or edge) and that there's plenty of padding of some kind between the item and the box.

If it's an aesthetic desire for a gift or something I'd say start with te newest, firmest box you can find and tape every edge/corner.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't care about the aesthetics, but whenever I ship boxes home or something they always arrive falling apart, even with a bunch of tape. Not a problem for clothes, but if I put fragile stuff in there, it gets broken. Maybe I just need to use smaller boxes for that sort of thing?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

I don't care about the aesthetics, but whenever I ship boxes home or something they always arrive falling apart, even with a bunch of tape. Not a problem for clothes, but if I put fragile stuff in there, it gets broken. Maybe I just need to use smaller boxes for that sort of thing?
Smaller boxes makes it so you need less stuffing (foam peanuts, bubble wrap, paper wads, etc.) to keep the object in the center of the box and not shaking around much. But too small of a box will not leave enough room for packing filler. I usually go for 3-4 inches in every direction, make sure it's not shaking around if you shake the box (if so add more stuffing.)

If it's really fragile I'd pack it in a box (with stuffing) then pack that box in a larger box (with stuffing again.) Or take it to a pack and ship place that insures/guarantees against breakage.

What kind of things are you shipping that get broken? Are you using UPS/fedex or USPS?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm not sure how much fragile stickers are going to be heeded, but you could try those too.

Someone said this in a thread I was reading ages ago about shipping things: After you pack your stuff pick it up about five feet and drop it on the floor. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then repack it until you do, because it will happen during shipping.

Couriers are rarely gentle with your things. As randyest said, there are places that minimize against breakage, but even then it's not guaranteed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

randyest posted:

If it's really fragile I'd pack it in a box (with stuffing) then pack that box in a larger box (with stuffing again.) Or take it to a pack and ship place that insures/guarantees against breakage.

Yeah, UPS stores will charge you like $10 to have your item packed by them and insured against damage to greater extent than shipping insurance normally gets you.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There's a school near my place that is offering cheap lessons in sign language. Will learning sign language open plenty of career options? Is there a shortage of signers in the world?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Xandu posted:

Try triple-walled cartons instead of the standard double-walled ones, if you can find them.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Thanks for all the posts about the 30 years, they were a fascinating read.

I'm trying to find a quote I read a year or two ago. I assumed it was on Futility Closet but have had no luck there.

It was about how new technology angers God himself and will probably doom us all with pollution and greed, and sounded like it could have been written yesterday, except that it was from the 1800s and was about steam engines. Anyone know?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I'm looking for an abstract art piece to fit a long wall. I'm looking for something 36" high and 60" wide. It doesn't need to be continuous. For example, something like this:

What's the best places to look for stuff like this? A friend told me eBay has stuff for cheap.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sizzlechest posted:

I'm looking for an abstract art piece to fit a long wall. I'm looking for something 36" high and 60" wide. It doesn't need to be continuous. For example, something like this:

What's the best places to look for stuff like this? A friend told me eBay has stuff for cheap.

I got the Zeppelin series earlier this year to cover a narrow space in my work office. Site's worth checking out at least.

http://www.inprnt.com/gallery/valerodoval/

And I really want this:

http://www.jamesjean.com/product/CBEE6F

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 18, 2011

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure how much fragile stickers are going to be heeded, but you could try those too.

The difference between stuff marked "fragile" and regular stuff is whether we will throw it 5 or 10 meters. Unless your fragile thing is a really obnoxious shape, in which case we'll probably just throw it even more. Packages get used to play footy with as well, both for being obnoxious and for being sorted wrongly and probably just for fun as well. Also, those ten ton bricks that other people are sending? Probably gonna end up on top of your china in a van at some point.

In conclusion: Make sure your package is properly packed.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Recently in goon advice threads, I've seen an increase in suggestions to "document" everything, indicating that phone logs and so on will serve as evidence in future escalations.

I use phone logs and such as a valuable mnemonic device for my own sake. But how does this serve as evidence as anything? You could still make poo poo up from nowhere, but now it has a date and time stamp. Why is this taken seriously in any investigation?

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
If I get a new HDD for my laptop, will iTunes count it as a new "device" and eat up my authorization limit?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
No it won't, it didn't on my macbook at least

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I found some nice artwork on ebay but the catch is that it isn't framed. I tried to ask about getting it stretched and framed but the language barrier is too great. This stuff ships from China, so if there's something wrong, I'll be stuck.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Facebook question, sorry in advance:

Lately I haven't been getting notifications if someone comments on a picture I posted, replies to a status update, or tags me in their statuses for example. Looks like some other people are having the same problem as well. Did Facebook change something again that changed this up? It's getting kinda annoying.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Avocadoes posted:

Lately I haven't been getting notifications if someone comments on a picture I posted, replies to a status update, or tags me in their statuses for example. Looks like some other people are having the same problem as well. Did Facebook change something again that changed this up? It's getting kinda annoying.

There may be a setting, but Facebook has always been kind of buggy since they seem to mess around with widgets and features all of the time randomly. I would bet it's just simply not working as it should be for you lately.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Avocadoes posted:

Did you not get this email from them? (Ironically titled 'Facebook will be sending you less email')

Hi name,
We're trying out a new feature to reduce the amount of email you receive from Facebook. Starting today, we are turning off most individual email notifications and instead, we'll send you a summary only if there are popular stories you may have missed.
You can turn individual emails back on and restore all your original settings at any time.
Thanks,
The Facebook team

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

marshmallard posted:

Did you not get this email from them? (Ironically titled 'Facebook will be sending you less email')

Ah there we go!
I have Facebook tied to an individual email account, so I definitely missed this. I'll turn the stories back on then since that email is exclusively for fb spam.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sizzlechest posted:

I found some nice artwork on ebay but the catch is that it isn't framed. I tried to ask about getting it stretched and framed but the language barrier is too great. This stuff ships from China, so if there's something wrong, I'll be stuck.

A plain canvas is less likely to be damaged and ships much more easily; just take it to a framer when you get it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Thank you. I'll try to find someone local and see how much it will add to the cost.

Sizzlechest posted:

I installed a new chandelier with new lights and they buzz. I know why this is happening. It's due to the kind of dimmer switch I'm using. It's worse the more I dim, so

My question is how do I avoid this? I'm willing to buy a quality dimmer, but I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to tell if it has a LC filter unless I crack it open. Anyone have any recommendations?

Answering my own question for anyone interested...

I tried dimmable CFL bulbs and they operated quite well even with a regular dimmer, but the physical characteristics of the bulbs didn't work well in the chandelier. (The base was too big and the bulb extended past the rim of the "cup.") I tried using the CFL/LED dimmer to see if it dimmed the incandescent bulbs without making them buzz, and it didn't.

I ended up returning the CFL bulbs and the dimmer and bough a different kind of bulb: Philips EcoVantage bulbs

They're a different design so they don't vibrate like normal incandescent bulbs. They do flicker at very low dimming, which isn't surprising now that I know how these dimmers work. However, for the light ranges I need, these work perfect for me. They're also energy saving to boot! 100W brightness using only 72W. I'm sure GE and other bulb makers make these bulbs, too. (The GE "Edison" bulbs look similar, but they don't come in 100w.)

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
What's the best way to get a single full-color 24" x 36" poster custom printed? Is there anyway to do it for dirt cheap?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Internet Cliche posted:

Recently in goon advice threads, I've seen an increase in suggestions to "document" everything, indicating that phone logs and so on will serve as evidence in future escalations.

I use phone logs and such as a valuable mnemonic device for my own sake. But how does this serve as evidence as anything? You could still make poo poo up from nowhere, but now it has a date and time stamp. Why is this taken seriously in any investigation?

Because most people are not criminal masterminds who will spend months creating fake contact logs that sync up perfectly with real contacts.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
It depends on what you mean by "document everything" and "phone logs." The rules for e-discovery are very strict and many times things won't be allowed because of improper handling.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I think the emphasis on documentation is because it's much more convincing to say, "this is what happened, and I can remember specific details because I started writing everything down once I started to notice things were hinky, so I can tell you exactly what happened and when." than, "yeah, this has been going on for a long time and I remember some details, but some of it is pretty hazy, but I can paint a general picture."

Buh
May 17, 2008
More detail has no real effect on how true and verifiable your statement is - but studies have shown it has a measurable effect on how well people remember your testimony, and how true they believe it to be. Fair or not, it will help to sway the jury.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know exactly what kind of issues we're talking about here, but if you write down "I talked to James at x67534 at 12:11am EST on 9/19 after calling 800-poo poo-company and he said he would do X, Y, and Z" it's obviously worth a lot more -- even before the litigation/lawsuit stage -- than a simple, easily denied, "I called last month and the guy said he'd fix my account :downs: what do you mean it's not noted he said he'd note it that guy he said that I swear!"

It's a fact (or not) that James was working at that date and time, so if he was one of those asshats that tells you one thing and doesn't "put a note in your file" as promised, just having his name and extension or whatever is worth a lot, even if he did lie about his name and extension and everything else.

If nothing else it shows you've been keeping track of poo poo and (probably) aren't a full-on retard so it maybe easier to just make you happy than deal with your list of contacts and promises and whatever.

It's not hard. Make a note in your cellphone notes app or something, since it's right there and all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I've had bad posture my entire life and I went to see a back doctor about it since it was causing some issues. It's been a while since then but I have tried improving it. Are there "tests" or exercises I can do to see if i'm maintaining a proper posture throughout the day?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Avocadoes posted:

I've had bad posture my entire life and I went to see a back doctor about it since it was causing some issues. It's been a while since then but I have tried improving it. Are there "tests" or exercises I can do to see if i'm maintaining a proper posture throughout the day?

Why don't you do what the doctor said to do?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is leaving the shower diverter valve up after you're done with a shower bad for it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Benagain posted:

Is leaving the shower diverter valve up after you're done with a shower bad for it?

No, but depending on how the diverter valve works, it might indicate there's something wrong with the pipes. Anecdote ahead but: the diverter valve in my bathtub/shower combo always used to fall back to open/tub faucet within a few seconds of shutting off the water. I assume it was designed so that water pressure was needed to hold it "closed" to send water to the shower head.

But gradually, the diverter would stay closed for longer and longer until it never went open again on its own, shortly after I started seeing water constantly dripping out of the faucet.

Now that aside, just leaving the diverter up shouldn't hurt anything. I'm not liable if your shower floods your house though. :)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Mine stays up and it sucks getting hit with a blast of cold water about the face and chest if you don't notice and turn on the water.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wagonburner posted:

Mine stays up and it sucks getting hit with a blast of cold water about the face and chest if you don't notice and turn on the water.

...why would you get into the shower before you turned the water on? :confused:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm being green dawg.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Just pour on some more patchouli oil and skip the shower; save the planet man!

;)

Where can I find a summary of FAA rules and regulations for experimental private airplanes as opposed to, say, commercial aircraft or cargo planes? Are they more or less restrictive / require more oversight and testing, or less, or same?

edit: if anyone is interested this was pretty well answered with handy FAA links here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437736&pagenumber=14#post395673688

randyest fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 19, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
If American Sign Language is its own, distinct language, why are signers called interpreters and not translators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Because "translators" work with written words and "interpreters" work with language spoken aloud (or signed).