Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Torabi posted:

Is that Space Marine "spitting" (more like puking) acid?

some 40k guys at the store told me they can do that. Not sure if they actually can in the tabletop game but apparently they do have the ability for it.
It's based on Pukemarine. Pukemarine dominated the 40k thread for many hundreds of pages whenever someone didn't like something someone else posted before I believe a mod had to come in and say "no more Pukemarine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yes, for some reason emptyquoting Pukemarine for three pages straight was deemed low-content posting. :iiam:

But Pukemarine the figure, drat, you a sexy beast. Now I kind of want to see someone go whole hog and make the puking Blood Angel on his flying tank with poor Puking Dread dangling from behind as puke pours out the sponsons. Golden Daemon gauranteed!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So.. pukemarine is an actual model sold by GW?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nah, it's just about combining the right parts from several kits and a little remodelling on the hands.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
An almost done WIP of my d&d character:

The edge highlights aren't quite so stark in real life. I love painting with metallics.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

The edge highlights aren't quite so stark in real life. I love painting with metallics.

Love the palette.

...that's a book, right? Not an axe?
edit: or a warhammer with a silly shape. Oh, D&D...

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It is a hammer, it makes much more sense from the side.

It's not a d&d model, it's a forgeworld chaos dwarf and the hammer is this one, I'm the only one who can be blamed for its silliness:

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Z the IVth posted:

They are slightly smaller than TAGs. But why describe it when I can show?

What is that model in the front left? The chick with the sword?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

TastyAvocado posted:

Really digging this. The holes in the face armour make it look awesome.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Alright I think it's all done, here's a couple more views. A joy to paint, I really really love painting with metallics.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

TastyAvocado posted:

Looks very good. I'd like to see more pictures from different angles.

Edit:

Wait how did more pictures appear above me. They weren't there when I asked for more angles.
Scary..
Black magic I say!

Boar It fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 18, 2011

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Torabi posted:

Looks very good. I'd like to see more pictures from different angles.

:chord:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

Alright I think it's all done, here's a couple more views. A joy to paint, I really really love painting with metallics.
*pics*

The muted colors really suit the new D&D, I'd change the shield emblem however, as it's too recognizable as the WH chaos star.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Torabi posted:

So.. pukemarine is an actual model sold by GW?

only if you buy a recurring White Dwarf subscription

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Torabi posted:

Is that Space Marine "spitting" (more like puking) acid?

Already explained, but it's a Vomarine from a chapter I made up for that model specifically, the "Old Wounds."

FrickenMoron posted:

Nah, it's just about combining the right parts from several kits and a little remodelling on the hands.

There actually wasn't any remodeling of the hands at all: the right hand (gripping the piece of rebar) is the chapter banner arm from the Space Marine Command box, cut down and glued at a lower angle, while his left hand is some random straight arm that I cut the hand off and glued a hand from the Sanguinary Guard box. That box is awesome for dynamic hand poses, as it comes with I think 10 of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TastyAvocado posted:

Play D&D with me plz.

On a more on-topic note; does anyone know where I can get a non-dorky-looking crossbowman miniature?

Preferably this dude - but he seems to have been out of production for about 10 years. Otherwise, I'm tempted to try a Reeve of Orboros (preferably the kneeling one, unless PP is likely to release new minis for them any time soon, cos the old ones are a little odd), or making some form of conversion of this guy - but I'm not sure quite how I'd make the rifle into a crossbow. Maybe also this guy, but the shield and sword really don't fit the character, and it's Rackham, so it's similarly out of production for aaaages.

Any thoughts on cool crossbow minis?

On a side note; I'm starting a new job (my first in over a year) on Wednesday. Being able to afford things FTW. Probably, I'm going to buy one of the D&D board games and paint the minis from that. Been looking forward to it for ages.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fix posted:

Oi, Big Willy Style. What are those Terminator heads?

They are from some Russian guy who sells 'Egyptian Space Warrior' or something like that on ebay. I am doing these models as a commission for a friend, he bought everything. I haven't seen the terminator bits on there again.

Speaking of big lame egyptian space men, I got some army shots:

The biggest thing bothering me about this army is that it will be more likely to win a best painted army award than my actual armies will, and this army will be at tournaments I play in, so I think I am going to have to do a pre heresy world eater army to compete with it.

And I painted some big lame Tau dude

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Acceptableloss posted:

What is that model in the front left? The chick with the sword?

It's a converted model, base model is this one:

Jhureen Hecate (PP Iron Kingdoms): http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=prp_ikg_min_cyx_101_000

I took the head from this one, recasted the head and trimmed most of the hair off:

Sascha Dubois (Reaper Chronoscope): http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/latest/50001

Sculpted on new hair, the arm shield and added a rather fat sword (I've learned to do better since).

Closeup for you:

It's the infamous :what: miniature...

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Big Willy Style posted:

And I painted some big lame Tau dude

Not sure if you're mixing up your models or intentionally using models as other things, but that's definitely a Warmachine Totem Hunter.

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Totem+Hunter

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

thespaceinvader posted:

Play D&D with me plz.

On a more on-topic note; does anyone know where I can get a non-dorky-looking crossbowman miniature?

Preferably this dude - but he seems to have been out of production for about 10 years. Otherwise, I'm tempted to try a Reeve of Orboros (preferably the kneeling one, unless PP is likely to release new minis for them any time soon, cos the old ones are a little odd), or making some form of conversion of this guy - but I'm not sure quite how I'd make the rifle into a crossbow. Maybe also this guy, but the shield and sword really don't fit the character, and it's Rackham, so it's similarly out of production for aaaages.

Any thoughts on cool crossbow minis?

Well there is also the Reeves chieftain who is a neat model if you like wolf pelts. There's also the Reeve Hunter solo but he has a great big fuckoff sword.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
He's pretty cool, but I'm not wild about the way the pelt actually comes down over his eyes. The kneeling Reeve who's aiming down his bow is probably the one I'd go for, but I'm not wild about the look of them in general.

It bugs me just how uncommon decent-looking crossbow users are.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Inverse Icarus posted:

Not sure if you're mixing up your models or intentionally using models as other things, but that's definitely a Warmachine Totem Hunter.

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Totem+Hunter

:ssh: I think he's proxying to use good things to make bad things into good things. :ssh:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
For Flames of War minis and Vallejo paints, should I thin the paints first?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Z the IVth posted:

It's a converted model, base model is this one:

Jhureen Hecate (PP Iron Kingdoms): http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=prp_ikg_min_cyx_101_000

I took the head from this one, recasted the head and trimmed most of the hair off:

Sascha Dubois (Reaper Chronoscope): http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/latest/50001

Sculpted on new hair, the arm shield and added a rather fat sword (I've learned to do better since).

Closeup for you:

It's the infamous :what: miniature...

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it would make a good Ashlynn d'Elyse for Warmachine. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the Jhureen Hecate at my LGS.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Here is my Screaming Bell. Probably the most wash heavy thing I've painted in the last couple of years, except for my big terrain pieces.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I like it a lot. Bit of a departure from your usual style and it shows off your talents a bit better imho.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wow, that's pretty dark, given the way you've been painting lately.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of "Blue"tere!

edit: poo poo I could have sworn I read someone mentioning Bachtere and his tendency to paint blue hues in this thread, but I can't find it! I must be losing my mind

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 18, 2011

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fix posted:

Wow, that's pretty dark, given the way you've been painting lately.
It was time for the anti-gay parade float. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

pic from https://www.sciborminiatures.com
Oh, it's the guy making "Egyptian SF Warriors".

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The stonework and rust are sweet! Keep buying giant models and painting them

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yum. These are sooo going on my repainted Necromunda gang.

(fake edit: the post-apoc ones may be even better if I can trim them down a bit. You know, line of sight and all that.

postman
Jun 16, 2009

Question for you veteran painters out there.

I just assembled my first chaos marine and wondered how the hell I'm going to paint around the shoulder guards and realized it would probably have been easier to leave them off and paint them. I did leave the backpack off so i could cover the back.

I'm curious, is it standard practice to paint items like the backpack and shoulders separate and attach them later for just say the hell with it and build the whole thing and deal with it?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If you can't paint it very well you probably can't see it very well and it doesn't need to be perfect. If you're painting a diorama piece or something feel free to try to get everything painted perfectly, but if you're painting 40+ models for an army you're wasting a lot of time for almost no gain.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just deal with it, you only paint in parts if you're doing a really high quality paintjob. Painting in parts takes a long time and really isn't feasible if you want to keep your sanity over 60 or so marines.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Has anyone had a chance to try the Backc 2 Base-ix bases? I'm thinking about getting these: http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=17

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ive painted a couple commission armies that had them. They are pretty good, decent casts for the most part, but theyre not as clean or detailed as the more expensive MAS/dragonforge stuff. But theyre not bad at all. just make sure to soak them in soapy water for a few minutes and toothbrush em then rinse em. That gets the release agent stuff off.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bachtere posted:

loving your eyeballs with pure awesome

Still not better than a vomit marine.
it's like way better than a vomit marine, totally brah

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Acceptableloss posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it would make a good Ashlynn d'Elyse for Warmachine. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the Jhureen Hecate at my LGS.

I actually got the inspiration from someone who converted the exact same model to an Ashlynn. It's somewhere on the Privateer Press forums, go search for it! The guy's work is lightyears ahead of mine (though unpainted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Got around to trying to finish up my trygon that's been sitting on my desk unfinished for almost 2 years now. She's almost done now, I need to do some touch up and to paint the vent tubes on the back and hit the chitin plates with a gloss coat. Then I need to figure out what to do for the base. I kind of rushed it towards the end, and sort of went into 'gently caress it' mode with the blue. normally I would do smoother blends but I just wanted to get this girl done. I painted my newer guys a little differently so I'm kind of 'meh' about the whole thing.

• Locked thread