Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I got a small and a medium when I ordered mine. I recommend getting both - especially considering how cheap they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think you'll be fine either way - a medium has been fantastic for me as has the small and I'm about 4'11". That said, I can use a large for heavy days (Maybe I just have a long hoohah...).

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
I use a small Me Luna and had no leaks. I'm 29 and don't have kids, and got the cup almost six months ago. It's great, my periods are no longer a reason for any discomfort or grossness and I don't need to spend money on them. Just wonderful, every woman should get a cup.

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe
I'm small -- 5'2" and no kids. I've been using a small Meluna for over six months now with no problems. I'm still amazed that I can actually *forget* that I'm on my period.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

I used an inside-out small Diva and I now use a medium MeLuna. Fits fine!

YAY! This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks! Hopefully, it will work fine for me, too. Melunas are so much prettier than divas. I'm not sure why this matters to me, but I think having a pretty blue cup will make my Paragard periods that much better.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Aradekasta posted:

Anybody satisfied with their small Meluna? I'm a petite woman (4'10") with light periods, and initially figured I'd want the small, but the leaking posts have me rethinking that idea.

I dig mine, but not for typical period use. Toward the end when it's just spotting I like the size S but otherwise I go with medium (also because it's easier to remove)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

What all comes with the black MeLuna special? I've only taken a bit of German and it doesn't translate the whole page.

Edit: And I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the color/how it looks. I tend to steer away from white for practical purposes and hey - periods aren't the most fun, why not make them less miserable/a bit more interesting/enjoyable?

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 5, 2011

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Aerofallosov posted:

What all comes with the black MeLuna special? I've only taken a bit of German and it doesn't translate the whole page.

Edit: And I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the color/how it looks. I tend to steer away from white for practical purposes and hey - periods aren't the most fun, why not make them less miserable/a bit more interesting/enjoyable?

1 M size cup - black
1 S size cup - Black
1 Black microfiber bag for storage
1 Black pearl string thong (I think????)

Is it terrible that I totally want the Black special even though I already have one :saddowns:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2011

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Aaah, I was wondering what the heck that was. And nah, nothing wrong with it. I figured I'd cash in on the sale and the black ones looked cool.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My god the "Perlenstring" is just the most hideous thing ever. WHY GERMANY WHY :gonk:

Herr Zwiebel
Apr 25, 2009

Worry Not,
Wonder Not.
Grimey Drawer
Ve're djerman, is vat ve do.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh, what the hey. I think I'm gonna go with the black ones for giggles. I'll report in on WTF the pearl string thing does/is. But black definitely looks neat and seems like a handy color for a cup.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone use lunapads, and if so are they something you recommend?

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
The tomato from upstairs.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anyone use lunapads, and if so are they something you recommend?

If you like to feel humid and sticky like you're wearing a diaper made of polar fleece, have I got the company for you

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Aerofallosov posted:

Oh, what the hey. I think I'm gonna go with the black ones for giggles. I'll report in on WTF the pearl string thing does/is. But black definitely looks neat and seems like a handy color for a cup.

I remember seeing those in sex shops a few years back. They're supposed to rub against you and feel good as you walk but they just look really weird and uncomfortable to me.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I had the Mirena IUD put in about three weeks ago. Since then I've been spotting/have a light flow pretty steadily, especially when I'm really active exercising or at work. From what I understand, it's entirely possible I'll have this stuff going on for at least six months to a year, so I want to pop my cup back in instead of having the deal with the allergy I've apparently grown to pads since I stopped using them a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with using a cup for, say, a month at a time instead of just a week? Am I opening myself up to horrible, constant yeast or bacterial infections?

(wow, I just looked at the Divacup FAQ and it says to replace once a year :eek: I've had mine almost two. I guess it might be time?)

e: I can't be sure until my next period, but it also seems like I'm going to have much less blood coming out than I'm used to. Are there smaller cups out there that work well for light flow versus my ginormous Divacup? It sometimes sits way too low and irritates my urethra, and I can't get it to go any higher.
edit again: Never mind, did some research. Got a medium MeLuna coming my way.

bobula fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 12, 2011

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Ojo posted:

I remember seeing those in sex shops a few years back. They're supposed to rub against you and feel good as you walk but they just look really weird and uncomfortable to me.

Has the Meluna website always sold glass dildos, or did I just not notice it before? Might explain a few things

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

bobula posted:

(wow, I just looked at the Divacup FAQ and it says to replace once a year :eek: I've had mine almost two. I guess it might be time?)

I remembered reading this years ago

quote:

After a series of obfuscating statements by company representative Susan Carskadon where she said the company never claimed the DivaCup lasted for more than a year (this simply isn’t true—the DivaCup Web site’s FAQ used to state that “with proper care, the DivaCup should last for many years,” and besides, doesn’t the defunct one-year return policy also suggest it would last longer than 365 days?) In addition, Carskadon said that it was Health Canada, among other regulatory boards, that determined the new life span policy.

Here’s what Paul Spendlove from Health Canada said: “Health Canada has not imposed a one-year restriction on the use of the DivaCup, nor has the department stated that menstrual cups should be replaced annually. Contrary to the company’s press release and letter to customers, Diva International is not in negotiations with Health Canada regarding the life span of the DivaCup. When applying for a Class II licence for the DivaCup, Diva International Inc. claimed that satisfaction is guaranteed for one full year from the date of purchase. Health Canada did not ask the company to provide evidence to support this claim, as it does not address specific safety and effectiveness issues.”

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yeah, I think I've had my Divacup for about 6 years now... you really do not have to replace it every year. I got a Meluna because I hated how stained my Diva had gotten, but then I realized I could just soak it in hydrogen peroxide and it looks like new again!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bobula posted:

I had the Mirena IUD put in about three weeks ago. Since then I've been spotting/have a light flow pretty steadily, especially when I'm really active exercising or at work. From what I understand, it's entirely possible I'll have this stuff going on for at least six months to a year, so I want to pop my cup back in instead of having the deal with the allergy I've apparently grown to pads since I stopped using them a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with using a cup for, say, a month at a time instead of just a week? Am I opening myself up to horrible, constant yeast or bacterial infections?

So I'd still like some opinions on this, and uhh, does MeLuna send any kind of shipping confirmation or anything after you people have ordered?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I didn't get any shipping confirmation via email, but if you log in on the site you can see when it was shipped. Mine was shipped September 5 and I got it today.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
I received a shipping confirmation via email about a day or so after I ordered my MeLuna.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Olphij posted:

I received a shipping confirmation via email about a day or so after I ordered my MeLuna.

Yea, I received a confirmation & tracking number the day my e-check cleared (this past Monday).

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
What do lady goons recommend for someone who wants to try but is a bit skittish? Under 30, never given birth, but super thick and gross flow, and I think I'm a bit sensitive down there. Thinking about meluna or mooncup, also I am in the USA.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

bobula posted:

So I'd still like some opinions on this, and uhh, does MeLuna send any kind of shipping confirmation or anything after you people have ordered?

as long as you clean it (boil) I doubt that you would have any problems. I would boil it once a week if you're worried. I really, really doubt that you would have any problems though.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

luscious posted:

as long as you clean it (boil) I doubt that you would have any problems. I would boil it once a week if you're worried. I really, really doubt that you would have any problems though.

Somehow I get the impression you quoted the wrong post.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

slinkimalinki posted:

Somehow I get the impression you quoted the wrong post.

no... the "I'd still like some opinions on this" is from her asking this

quote:

bobula posted:

my opinion is the same.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Hooks posted:

I'm small -- 5'2" and no kids. I've been using a small Meluna for over six months now with no problems. I'm still amazed that I can actually *forget* that I'm on my period.

Hooks,(or anyone really) do you have a problem with heavier flow and does it cover this well? I'd like to order one, but I just don't know which brand to go with, I'm also about this height.

I also don't have 30-40 dollars to throw around on a bunch of different ones. I just want to have some clothes that aren't stained to hell. (for reference, I wear big pads with wings and then stuff toilet paper on top for extra protection.)

Edit Fleurcup says size L is for women with heavy flow or for someone who's given birth. Is it more difficult for a first timer to wrangle a larger cup up there? I keep getting really really close to ordering one, but I'm still not sure which size to order.

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 18, 2011

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe

themindisonfire posted:

Hooks,(or anyone really) do you have a problem with heavier flow and does it cover this well? I'd like to order one, but I just don't know which brand to go with, I'm also about this height.

I also don't have 30-40 dollars to throw around on a bunch of different ones. I just want to have some clothes that aren't stained to hell. (for reference, I wear big pads with wings and then stuff toilet paper on top for extra protection.)

Edit Fleurcup says size L is for women with heavy flow or for someone who's given birth. Is it more difficult for a first timer to wrangle a larger cup up there? I keep getting really really close to ordering one, but I'm still not sure which size to order.

I used to think I had heavy flow, but after hearing about how much blood some goonettes have to deal with, I guess I'm average. I bought the smallest Meluna and I empty it 2-3 times a day on my heaviest days. If you're worried about the cup being too big, I guess emptying it more often would be okay? I actually didn't have too much trouble getting the cup in the first time by following the advice here: Relax, try folding the cup in different ways, position your body in different ways until you figure out what works for you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Height doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how your vagina is set up. My periods are insane heavy, I'm like 5'9, but apparently I'm set up pretty small. I just use an inside out diva and I've had maybe.. 1? 2? leaks since I got it earlier this year.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
So I should go with a smaller one? I think I'd be more comfortable with one of the softer brands but I've also heard how the top doesn't pop out sometimes? I might just have to bite the bullet and order a divacup (easy to get in the US, price not through the roof)which was the first brand I've ever heard of and isn't going to break the bank. I think I'm fairly small framed down there as well. Another issue is that I have clots (the doctors had no idea wtf) and actually had an incident when I was about 13 (one of my first periods) where I had to have two blood transfusions from bleeding so much and the doctors who examined me were pretty much clueless as to what would cause it. Pretty traumatizing for a 13 year old who was already feeling icky about her body. Nowadays when I bleed I feel like my guts are falling out (if that's tmi I apologize ahead of time):gonk:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Supposedly you can sort of "measure" yourself down there by sticking a finger or two up into yourself (preferably around the same time of month you'd be using the cup) and seeing if you can reach your cervix. If it's right there, you probably need a shorter cup. If you can't reach it, or it's really hard to reach, maybe a longer cup is fine. Makes sense.

Thing about that is, when I was first planning to get a cup I tried that and I couldn't find anything I could positively identify as a cervix so I figured I'd be fine with a Diva. It turned out a Diva was a bit too long for me. As a matter of fact, I *could* have reached my cervix, no problem. I'm sure I was all over it , but the problem was I didn't really know what I was looking for so I didn't know I'd found it. Now that I've been using a cup for a long time I'm much more familiar with my body and I'm bumping up against that thing all the time. :)

Give it a try, though and see what you find out. Even if you end up getting a Diva and it's too long for you (as it was with me), you can still turn it inside out and it still works just fine. It just makes it a little trickier to grab when it's time to remove it, but you get used to that fast.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Really, the size difference (girth-wise)between cups is in millimeters, so you don't really have to stress about it too much. I mean, sure. They are shaped different and there are different sizes and such, but it isn't a life or death decision. Unless you have some of the more difficult problems to deal with- like vaginismus or something similar, just get one you like. There really is no way to measure to find the one that's perfect for you, unfortunately. That's how I ended up with an inside out diva. I couldn't afford anything else and decided to see what happened if I flipped it. It's been my best friend ever since!

I would pick the divacup if you're worried. It's the only one that you can change the total shape and size of it isn't working out for you, just by flipping it inside out.

There's a few of us with insanely heavy flows (I know of me and fluffy bunnies off hand) and we both use inside out divacups (I think she does too). On my heavy days, I have to dump about every 1-2 hours. On medium flow days, I can get away with once every 2-4 hours. Sometimes 3-6 hours. I think my body is beginning to slow down with the blood now. I am almost 38, though. On my beginning and end days, I routinely leave it in for longer than 24 hours.

I'm very clotty also, and it handles it all just fine. The only time I've ever leaked is when it's my heaviest day and I slept through one of my 2 hour dumping alarms. If the cup gets WAY overfull, it will leak. But I'm talking way, WAY overfull.

I'd be pretty confident in choosing the diva for now. You really want it to be able to hold as much as possible if your flow is that heavy, you know?

edit: yep! she uses an inside out, too. I didn't recognize her right above me with a new avatar :D

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 19, 2011

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

ThreeFish posted:

I would pick the divacup if you're worried. It's the only one that you can change the total shape and size of it isn't working out for you, just by flipping it inside out.

I'm pretty sure you can do this with most if not all menstrual cups (excluding Keeper). You hear about it so often in relation Diva because their cups are so freaking long

quote:

From left to right we have the Keeper (Size A, Size B), the Divacup (Size 2, Size 1), the Mooncup (Size A, Size B), and the Lunette (comes in only one size). And on the end, for comparison purposes, we have two OB tampons

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

Really, the size difference (girth-wise)between cups is in millimeters, so you don't really have to stress about it too much. I mean, sure. They are shaped different and there are different sizes and such, but it isn't a life or death decision. Unless you have some of the more difficult problems to deal with- like vaginismus or something similar, just get one you like. There really is no way to measure to find the one that's perfect for you, unfortunately. That's how I ended up with an inside out diva. I couldn't afford anything else and decided to see what happened if I flipped it. It's been my best friend ever since!

There's a few of us with insanely heavy flows (I know of me and fluffy bunnies off hand) and we both use inside out divacups (I think she does too). On my heavy days, I have to dump about every 1-2 hours. On medium flow days, I can get away with once every 2-4 hours. Sometimes 3-6 hours. I think my body is beginning to slow down with the blood now. I am almost 38, though. On my beginning and end days, I routinely leave it in for longer than 24 hours.

I'm very clotty also, and it handles it all just fine. The only time I've ever leaked is when it's my heaviest day and I slept through one of my 2 hour dumping alarms. If the cup gets WAY overfull, it will leak. But I'm talking way, WAY overfull.

I'd be pretty confident in choosing the diva for now. You really want it to be able to hold as much as possible if your flow is that heavy, you know?

edit: yep! she uses an inside out, too. I didn't recognize her right above me with a new avatar :D

Not only that, but the leaking thing is NOTHING like the awful stuff that happens with tampons. You realize it, you make your way to the nearest bathroom, hey maybe your underwear is a little gross. I haven't had "Oh my god, are you dying?" happen yet in these things.

:smug: and I was wearing white pants last month, too.

heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

So I finally got to try my diva cup in action last night/today and it went well the first use. Though this morning and part way through work, I noticed I was leaking quite a bit. I had to take it out and I realized my problem was that I needed to shove it up way further. lol so now no more leaking and it's awesome to not have to set my phone alarm to wake me up at 6am just to change the drat thing. :D

Also I tried to tell my sister about the cup and she was totally grossed out and called me a freak. Meh. :)

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smug: and I was wearing white pants last month, too.

I was wearing white jeans the first time I got my period, out for dinner with my family at a nice restaurant. I was 10 and had no idea what was going on :sigh: Fluffy Bunnies, I want your confidence!

I've taken the plunge and a Meluna Black :black101: should be on it's way to me.

I used to be utterly grossed out by the idea of menstrual cups. I always thought that keeping menstrual blood in the body was bad for you, probably because I heard someone say it in relation to tampons when I was younger. I clicked this thread out of interest as to why anyone would want to use one. I've gone through the whole thread now.

You girls have educated me and I'm so excited to not, for once in my life, dread the Red Baron.

I have weird, heavy-to-nothing flow days, have been tested for endometriosis (negative), find tampons the most uncomfortable thing in the world and go to bed dreading leakage from a maxi-pad that's shifted in my sleep.

There's been at least one post every page where someone has had similar experiences and shared how the cup helped them.

Some girls saying it helped with their cramps has me interested, but the ability to walk around not feeling like I'm wearing a nappy?

Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.

I had it sent to my mums house because I don't trust the letter box at my apartment not to get pilfered. The funny thing is my sister, who still lives at home, has a habit of opening any packages that arrive for me. Like heatherawr's sister, she also called me a gross-freak-hippy-person.

Something tells me she'll drop her package stealing habit when she realises what she's opened :devil:

Baron Von Face fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2011

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Baron Von Face posted:

Something tells me she'll drop her package stealing habit when she realises what she's opened :devil:

Ugh, my mom used to do this all the time when I lived with her claiming that she thought it was addressed to her. Mother, you are too nosey and need to respect my privacy. We don't even have the same last name!
I think tonight or tomorrow I'll order a small divacup. Threefish, how do you deal with your heavy flows at night? Isn't it unfeasible to wake up every two hours?
Baron Von Face, what is endo?

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 19, 2011

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?

themindisonfire posted:

what is endo?

Ah sorry, Endometriosis, I know a few people with it and used the short-hand without thinking, I'll fix that.

It's where the uterine lining grows where it shouldn't, like outside the uterus and it's painful as all get-up.

http://www.endometriosis.org.au/about-endometriosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
would a gyno test for that normally? :ohdear:

Edit: In the process of ordering size 1 Divacup right now. I'm very excited and a bit nervous to try it! Should be in here in 2-4 days.

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 19, 2011

• Locked thread