Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Ligur posted:

Think of the positives, when you live where the police are afraid to stomp you to the curb (or even tackle you, unless you attack first - with weapons) it's unlikely they would limit your other rights either! :haw:

the cop didn't seem afraid to continously strike at his thigh with the baton, though. he probably expected it to hurt the mushroom seller more than it did, too.

When I was in the military the MPs I worked with had been thaught that one good wack to a guy's thigh with the baton would make him almost pass out from the shock and pain. Assuming finnish cops are thaught similar lessons on how to use the baton (the cop in the vid wields it excactly like the MPs I knew), the cop wasn't hestitant to hurt the mushroom seller at all. He just didn't realize that clinching with him and taking him down would be more effective in subduing him.

gunblade fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
So the decision to compete has been really great for my training, it's given me a new focus and helped to crystallize in my mind the 2-3 favorite techniques that I want to work on during rolling. Instead of just playing around I'm really working on finding ways to chain them together, set them up and execute a gameplan to win rounds against other white belts, and working with blues and purples on fine tuning the small little details, etc.

One thing I'm still kinda wavering on is how many divisions to compete in. I'm definitely doing both gi and no-gi in my weight class (162lbs), but this organization also offers absolute classes for whites, which is something I didn't think was typically done. You pay the same for 2-4 divisions and my financial situation is really tight so the miser in me says to do em all to get the most value.. but I've never competed before so I can't really predict how I'm going to react to the higher intensity level and I'm wary of biting off more than I can chew.

My cardio is great and I still have about a month to improve it, so the prospect of having to do multiple rounds is not a problem, at least from a sparring perspective. There's just no way to know how I'll handle the adrenaline and stress of a competition scenario until I actually do it though... Any thoughts? I've had some conflicting advice from different people so I thought I'd look for a little more input before I make my decision and preregister

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
At the lower levels, the most common determinative factor in deciding whether to do absolute is waiting time. It sounds weird but people don't want to have to sit for 6 hours in a high school gym waiting for the absolutes to start after they've finished their weight division.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 17, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

Now why the gently caress would you do that? It's horrible! Sparring with additional rules?! Why can't I counter with whatever I see fit? Well first off you are forced to counter immediately and not given a choice as you can't run away, second, when combining hands and feet you absolutely must control the distance (and this while not moving back, it really is insidious) and angles, third, you will learn to use all that stuff that is completely out of your comfort zone.

I think it's a good system to force progression and rehearsing combos you would never normally do. A lot of times when you ask people to do 4 or 5 strike combos, they'll leave their rear foot behind and drag their stance wider and wider until they're rooted to the spot. Having to do the same difficult combo over and over live will erase egregious habits quickly and get that combo functional for a person sooner.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ESPN3 is streaming FILA World Championships right now. For anybody who wants to watch.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

If you wanna see how dead you'd be in a knife fight, take off your shirt, give your friend a magic marker and tell him to assault you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is :black101: Keepin' it real.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

mindtwist posted:

So the decision to compete has been really great for my training,

Competing is really an eye opener early in your jujitsu career, and I usually recommend anyone that can, to try to get a competition in. It really is quite different from sparring, especially in the intention going onto the mat.
I find that you also really learn what you need to work on and where your weaknesses lie.
Other than learning from it, the second most important thing is to just have fun-- it's great if you win, but going into your first competition with a grim determination to win it will probably just lead to a complete mental breakdown.

In my first competition, I realised that relying on staying on your back is retarded. From that point on it took me something like a year to stop doing it, though.

As far as setting up gameplans and chaining techniques, that's all well and good, and if you can pull that off, great- but honestly, that's something you're gonna be working on for years, and not something you'll have time to learn in a month.

mindtwist posted:

My cardio is great and I still have about a month to improve it, so the prospect of having to do multiple rounds is not a problem, at least from a sparring perspective. There's just no way to know how I'll handle the adrenaline and stress of a competition scenario until I actually do it though... Any thoughts? I've had some conflicting advice from different people so I thought I'd look for a little more input before I make my decision and preregister

If you feel your cardio is good, I think you've done one of the most important things you can do to prepare yourself for a tournament, other than obviously just rolling and trying to get in as much mat time as possible. But, you're right, there is no way to know how you'll deal with the adrenaline, and wasting time worrying about getting an adrenaline dump or something will probably just increase the chances of it happening.
Whatever happens, it won't be the end of the world, and win or lose, you'll still learn a ton (assuming you don't get flying armbarred within like 6 seconds of your first match)
And try not to take it too seriously. Have fun!

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I never got around to actually trying any of it out with practice knives, but the knife defences on Die Less Often (Dog Brothers) looked pretty reasonable. It's still iffy, hence the name of the DVD, but it's the most believable I've seen that I can remember. If anybody has played around with these feel free to contradict me.

I managed to see some of this stuff recently and they seem to have the right idea. There's a lot of focus on situational awareness and effective threat displays to try and avoid an attack in the first place, plus their positioning is good (rare even among the less ridiculous RBSD stuff I've seen, but pretty normal for escrima) and they have plenty of ideas and techniques for keeping someone at a distance and off-balance. Probably the biggest issue would be training that situational awareness so that you're ready to go before the knife appears, as many of their defences seem to be geared towards pre-emption - not a bad thing since the single easiest way not to get stabbed is for there not to be a knife in play in the first place, but if someone were to use them reactively they would probably get stabbed.

I might mess around with some of the defences next time I have some free time before/after some daggerwork (might not be for a while), mostly just to see for myself how well they might work.

e: not a fan of their penchant for following up disarms with stabs/slices to the neck though. In WMA and Escrima that's really common and even encouraged because self-defense was different when those developed, nowadays that poo poo doesn't fly though.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 18, 2011

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Omglosser posted:

Man, all gyms should have a dedicated bongo player in the background.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

I'm laughing in tears here, and not because of residual pepper spray either. The cops are like "hmm... this guy might know what he's actually doing, oh poo poo... now he broke a broom to use as eskrima sticks."

I live a few blocks away from where that happened.

At this point I'm not sure if I live in a brutal police state or if EuroPolice are just ridiculously hamstrung. Really weird since cops in the states usually follow a baton with a huge dogpile and/or taser and rear end kicking.

I mean, its great they aren't holding that guy down and taking turns kicking him in the head, personal rights and all that but he gets so much leeway in space and what he does. That guy could have easily grabbed an innocent person or found something more dangerous than a box and broomstick to use on the cops.

Omglosser posted:

I'm not sure I agree with his 1 cut and you're totally useless thing. I sliced my arm climbing a fence drunk and walked home, half assed cleaned my arm and wrapped it in a towel. The next day the towel was soaked in blood, plus I ruined my pants and shirt with the dripping blood during the walk, and I have a scar about an inch and a half wide on my arm now. In retrospect I should have gotten stitches but by the time I realized how bad it was, the time window was closed. It took like a loving month to close and another month before it was totally healed.

I also knew two canadian rodeo riders who were attacked by a pair of mexicans with a knife. They had some terrifying scars and it was apparently a nearly lethal thing, but they both said they were pretty much fully functional until after everything was over and they were left bleeding, at which time they collapsed and were lucky someone called 911.

Maybe the booze helped, or the fact that I wasn't fighting for my life, but I honestly didn't realized it was more than a scratch until the horror show the next morning.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 18, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not sure I agree with his 1 cut and you're totally useless thing. I sliced my arm climbing a fence drunk and walked home, half assed cleaned my arm and wrapped it in a towel.

I'll have to agree with you Xguard. I was actually reading an interesting blog with similar view points.

Personally, I think not giving up is the biggest thing.

However we could sit around theory crafting all day, when we should really be getting out and training.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 18, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Senor P. posted:

However we could sit around theory crafting all day, when we should really be getting out and training.

Agreed.
*spends years perfecting not getting nicked by a magic marker*
*assumes invincibility to knife attacks*

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not sure I agree with his 1 cut and you're totally useless thing.

It's less that you're totally useless and more that you're on a very short timer until you go into shock and your mistakes start compounding. Since knives are still very effective (arguably more effective) at infighting and grappling ranges, getting cut while closing or vying for a good position/hold/whatever can end up messing up your technique because you're distracted by the pain or because you get increasingly more lethargic as shock sets in, at which point you get cut up more and can't fight anymore. It's also making the point that while you have to anticipate getting cut you should be doing everything in your power not to get cut.

That blog post makes a good point though and I think it's really important to train techniques in such a way that even if you don't get it just right you're still in a good position and have plenty of options. Some hypothetical technique that disarms and knocks out six attackers in an incredibly efficient flurry of moves that have to be performed near-flawlessly is utterly useless compared to a technique that will nullify and unbalance a single attacker as long as your structure and intent are 'good enough'. And of course the usual self-defense stipulation that the best technique is always the one you can do comfortably even under stress.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
knife fighting is only the natural evolution once you have mastered unarmed combat.

::crossarms:: ::smug::

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Every once in a while, we switch it up in our WMA classes and just start shanking eachother with daggers. Goddamn terrifying.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What do you guys use for sore muscles? Is Tiger Balm ok?

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

origami posted:

Hot showers/hot tub and Tiger Balm or BioFreeze.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I put too much balm on and had to hop in the shower to get it off :(

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

origami posted:

I put too much balm on and had to hop in the shower to get it off :(

Classic! The fanatic rubbing to get it off is always so much fun

I'm also a big fan of hot shower, then hot bean bag, then a small massage if I can coax my girlfriend into giving me one and then some icy hot. I used tiger balm before, but now I prefer a cream to a balm. I'm not sure if these cream/balms do anything at all, but they do smell sort of nice (I might be alone liking that smell though) and get your mind off of your muscle aches.

I've heard good thing about muscle mist too.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

origami posted:

I have a magic bag for direct heat. If it's any worse than a little heat can fix, I usually just take a Motrin to help with any inflamation and go to bed (I get home from training around 10pm usually).

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After a week off I started training again, the gym seems dead without the 6+ guys prepping to fight all the time.

And I'll second BioFreeze for muscle pain. Anecdotally, I've had that shin splints in your forearms thing, and any pressure at all causes a lot of pain. Wrapping never helped and muscle massages did a little for the pain, but BioFreeze literally made the pain go away for a couple of hours.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not sure if these cream/balms do anything at all

They've never helped me for muscle aches, but Tiger Balm is AMAZING on mosquito bites.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

They've never helped me for muscle aches, but Tiger Balm is AMAZING on mosquito bites.

I have to try that, the most effective thing I've found yet for mosquito bite is lemon juice (better than anything else I had tried before, seriously try it!)

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not sure I agree with his 1 cut and you're totally useless thing. I sliced my arm climbing a fence drunk and walked home, half assed cleaned my arm and wrapped it in a towel. The next day the towel was soaked in blood, plus I ruined my pants and shirt with the dripping blood during the walk, and I have a scar about an inch and a half wide on my arm now. In retrospect I should have gotten stitches but by the time I realized how bad it was, the time window was closed. It took like a loving month to close and another month before it was totally healed.

I also knew two canadian rodeo riders who were attacked by a pair of mexicans with a knife. They had some terrifying scars and it was apparently a nearly lethal thing, but they both said they were pretty much fully functional until after everything was over and they were left bleeding, at which time they collapsed and were lucky someone called 911.

Maybe the booze helped, or the fact that I wasn't fighting for my life, but I honestly didn't realized it was more than a scratch until the horror show the next morning.

I agree with you that after 1 cut you're not going to be useless, but I think his point is more that if someone is actively fileting you, no cuts (by running) is better than one cut IF you manage to win the fight.
Plus, I could be way wrong on this but I don't feel like looking it up but I believe under certain conditions if you get cut really bad your body can swell around that area, temporarily negating the blood loss.

origami posted:

I put too much balm on and had to hop in the shower to get it off
Former instructor: "Ah, you use Tiger Balm, good stuff." walks away, then stops, "Make sure you wash your hands before using the bathroom." cringes then walks away

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So since it seems like a decent number of people are actually joining the group and using it, I thought I'd remind everyone that we have a Martial Arts Goons group on Fitocracy.

If anybody needs an invite I have like 350 at the moment, just click HERE.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not sure if these cream/balms do anything at all

Biofreeze is amazing for sore muscles after a tough workout. It makes a world of difference on how sore you are the next few days.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Booze would've helped your state of mind and pain tolerance, but it thins the blood so it probably made the bleeding worse.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

origami posted:

Bengay so my room smells like a retirement home.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I just joined the Fitocracy group. I'm training for the NCJA collegiate nationals in March, with a bunch of fitness goals for that point.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

I just joined the Fitocracy group. I'm training for the NCJA collegiate nationals in March, with a bunch of fitness goals for that point.

Where are they at this year?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Where are they at this year?

San Jose :smug:
I'm pretty excited, I'm hoping to improve on my 5th place finish from last year. My goal is to make top 2 and make the Senior roster, but just improving, winning one more fight, would be awesome. I fought -100 last year, and I felt like the smallest dude in the bracket, so I'm working with my coach on getting up to a proper weight and strength for 100s.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is just a random observation, but if you learn something the right way the first time, you'll always have a nice version of it to improve upon, instead of struggling to pin down the basics over and over.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Biofreeze is amazing for sore muscles after a tough workout. It makes a world of difference on how sore you are the next few days.

Gotta see where I can find that in canada when I'm close to done with the Icy Hot tube I have. What does it smells like? They seem to have many "format" available, what's the best one?

kimbo305 posted:

This is just a random observation, but if you learn something the right way the first time, you'll always have a nice version of it to improve upon, instead of struggling to pin down the basics over and over.

Most definitely true, only problem is that when you first begin, learning the right way is the most boring thing in the world!

\/\/ I think he's talking about focusing on the basics of a movement/the sport first \/\/

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 19, 2011

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno I feel like I've learned the right way and forgotten it again more times than I can count at this point. But also to take the relativist side is there really a right way to do any of this stuff? We don't even have a clear goal- are we trying to make people submit? Put them to sleep? Control them? Hurt them? Defend ourselves? Look cool? Show me a person who learned the right way the first time and I'll show you someone who's not looking deep enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Show me a person who learned the right way the first time and I'll show you someone who's not looking deep enough.

There's a right way to jab and a wrong way. There's a million wrong ways to learn it, and only one right way.

But from a perspective of mastery, sure, even the right jab is only good for 70% of situations. But it takes far less work instructing someone who learned the right cookie cutter jab to pick up the necessary finesses than teaching someone who never had a good jab in the first place.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

kimbo305 posted:

On that note, how do you boxing guys throw hooks? Because I'm wondering if I've learned them the wrong way.

Do you throw them with the knuckles horizontal or vertical? I've learnt to throw them with horizontal knuckles when I'm in close, and vertical when I want more range. However the other day, a boxing coach from another club advised me to throw with vertical knuckles when I was in close, and horizontal when I was outside the pocket, ie. the opposite of what I've been trying.

I tried what the coach told me, and all of a sudden I seem to hit a lot more and be a lot faster with my hooks! It might be a bit too early to say for sure, but it feels like I've had a small breakthrough with my hooks. The way I do it now just feels less awkward. Exploring something new and being successful with it feels really good, like I was able to fit another pieze into the boxing puzzle!

Anyway, do you guys think that I learned to throw hooks the wrong way at first, and only now learned it the right way? Or is the horizontal/vertical thing more of a personal preference thing?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

gunblade posted:

On that note, how do you boxing guys throw hooks? Because I'm wondering if I've learned them the wrong way.

Do you throw them with the knuckles horizontal or vertical? I've learnt to throw them with horizontal knuckles when I'm in close, and vertical when I want more range. However the other day, a boxing coach from another club advised me to throw with vertical knuckles when I was in close, and horizontal when I was outside the pocket, ie. the opposite of what I've been trying.

I tried what the coach told me, and all of a sudden I seem to hit a lot more and be a lot faster with my hooks! It might be a bit too early to say for sure, but it feels like I've had a small breakthrough with my hooks. The way I do it now just feels less awkward. Exploring something new and being successful with it feels really good, like I was able to fit another pieze into the boxing puzzle!

Anyway, do you guys think that I learned to throw hooks the wrong way at first, and only now learned it the right way? Or is the horizontal/vertical thing more of a personal preference thing?

From what I've been told, if you throw hooks vertical, it decreases the chances that you'll break your hand if you land the punch wrong, contrasted to the potential to land a hook with your small knuckles on a hook that is horizontal (and that leads to a broken hand).

That's about all I know on the subject.

mewse
May 2, 2006

gunblade posted:

We train the hook at mid-range with thumb down, and there's a lot of emphasis on twisting your lead foot for power.

I think one class the instructor said to have knuckles out for close range and (rarely) knuckles in for long range, but we don't really focus on it as much as mid-range over and over and getting that front ankle to twist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Palm down will help keep your elbow up and your forearm in the plane of the punch and thus align the arm better at impact. I think it stiffens up your whole shoulder configuration (with the automatic benefit of raising your shoulder in front of your chin), which can still be good as it requires you to pop your hip more into the punch. I think the biggest benefit is helping you keep the elbow up.

But as a pussy kickboxer, I will gladly do a palm-in arm punch hook in any combo that ends in a kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
I guess the main difference for me is that punching with the palm inwards requires less from me. Kimbo, you mentioned how palm downwards will stiffen up the shoulder. That stiffening of the shoulder/upper arm has always felt kinda awkward for me. Doing it with the palm inwards feels less awkward and fluent, thus making the whole punch faster.

Luckily I'm aware of the need to twist the hips, rotating the torso and keeping my shoulder thight to the chin, so it's not like I'm sacrificing all technique in exchange for a faster hook here (least I hope I'm not). :downs:

But I've only sparred about 10 rounds using this technique, so I guess I have to try it out more to see if there really are any major differences. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Still, it's always good to reevaluate one's technique.

• Locked thread