Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Forgive me for not reading the 3 previous megathreads or all 214 pages of this one, but how long does the action in "A New Hope" take? I watched it again last night and for the first time was struck with how constant the pacing was. There's never a moment where you get a sense that a lot of time has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If you go by all the EU bullshit, Empire takes place about three years after A New Hope, and Jedi is a year after that. A New Hope probably takes place over the course of a few weeks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Timby posted:

If you go by all the EU bullshit, Empire takes place about three years after A New Hope, and Jedi is a year after that. A New Hope probably takes place over the course of a few weeks.

That's not at all EU bullshit. That is G canon.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Probably less than that. The droids crash on the planet and I find it unlikely that it's more than a day or two before Luke and Owen buy them. Then the next day they're off looking for R2D2 and they find Obi Wan. Maybe it takes them a day or two to get to Mos Eisley, but probably not that long. And after getting to Mos Eisley they leave a few hours later. Then they're in space for a few more hours, go to the death star, it takes them a few hours to rescue Leia and escape and kill some tie fighters on the way home. In a few more hours they get to Yavin, then rush to prepare for battle before the death star gets there, which can't be more than another few hours since the death star was right behind them. Then, they destroy the death star in 15 minutes. The celebration might be a few days later but who knows.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OK, so I just finished watching ANH on Blu-Ray. If you can digitally insert Sy loving Snootles and a weird brown tribble thing doing a musical number, or digitally insert Jabba the loving Hutt and make Ewoks blink why can't you:

1. Fix R2's black panels during the Death Star attack
2. Fix the fact that David Prowse's eyes are often visible in the Vader mask
3. Fix the horribly lovely rotoscoping on Obi-Wan's lightsaber after three loving revisions

Bolkovr posted:

Forgive me for not reading the 3 previous megathreads or all 214 pages of this one, but how long does the action in "A New Hope" take? I watched it again last night and for the first time was struck with how constant the pacing was. There's never a moment where you get a sense that a lot of time has passed.

I will say it certainly went by much quicker than I remembered. The Death Star bits in the middle didn't drag nearly as badly as I remembered.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gianthogweed posted:

The celebration might be a few days later but who knows.

I have to think the celebration was thrown together as quickly as possible while there was a frantic evacuation in progress off camera. I assume that the rest of the Imperial fleet got the news of where the rebel base was and would be on the way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I have to think the celebration was thrown together as quickly as possible while there was a frantic evacuation in progress off camera. I assume that the rest of the Imperial fleet got the news of where the rebel base was and would be on the way.

The Marvel comics have some really ridiculous stuff involving this. Off the top of my head, rather than the Empire sending all of its forces to Yavin to eradicate the Rebellion immediately, they wait a few months and then send a fleet to blockade it and then send some ground troops down to skirmish with the Rebels but the Rebels all escape. It's one of the things from the Marvel comics that the later EU really should have just discarded. I think one of the Battlefront games includes a level set during the Yavin evacuation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chairman Capone posted:

The Marvel comics have some really ridiculous stuff involving this. Off the top of my head, rather than the Empire sending all of its forces to Yavin to eradicate the Rebellion immediately, they wait a few months and then send a fleet to blockade it and then send some ground troops down to skirmish with the Rebels but the Rebels all escape. It's one of the things from the Marvel comics that the later EU really should have just discarded. I think one of the Battlefront games includes a level set during the Yavin evacuation.

One of the only good things in Rogue Squadron 3 was the evacuation of Yavin level.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Bolkovr posted:

I watched it again last night and for the first time was struck with how constant the pacing was. There's never a moment where you get a sense that a lot of time has passed.

It's been mentioned plenty of times, but I don't think it's possible to sing the praises of Marcia Lucas too much. She edited the film, and along with John Williams she's probably the single most important reason the film turned out as well as it did. Her Oscar is the only one a Lucas ever won for Star Wars, and it was well-deserved.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

They must have done a hell of a rush job polishing Threepio and putting Artoo back together.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Timby posted:

A New Hope probably takes place over the course of a few weeks.

“Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the death of Kenobi, and will soon see the end of the Rebellion.”

It's up to you how long the earlier parts of the movies might be, but from the escape from the Death Star to the end of the movie is apparently a single afternoon.

Depending on how long it took to travel through hyperspace, the movie might take place over just two days. Maybe three, I forget if Threepio saw a night before the Skywalkers bought him and Artoo.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I there some ego thing involved in this? Is George miffed that he didn't get to call all the shots in the OT, so he's tweaking them and vowing to erase the originals to give his old colleagues the finger?

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Haha wow, I've just been watching the blu ray edition of Return of the Jedi - Vader's dubbed in nooo at the end is hilariously bad!

That being said, the rest of the original trilogy are fantastic after being remastered and in HD, well worth the purchase so far

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Thats the big thing. The movies looking amazing, at times with some of the details that come through its like seeing the movies for the first time all over again. Brings back a little of the magic in a way.

As for the changes despite how much we all bash them, in the end they are entirely ignorable for the most part. The only change I think I can honestly say that actually does bother me is the vader no.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Not A Bear posted:

Haha wow, I've just been watching the blu ray edition of Return of the Jedi - Vader's dubbed in nooo at the end is hilariously bad!

That being said, the rest of the original trilogy are fantastic after being remastered and in HD, well worth the purchase so far

You are the reason these things exist at all. You and people like you.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
All my fault? drat, and there I was thinking I'd lead a fairly blameless life! I dunno, initially I was like you, upset about the changes - but it's not like I've lost the memories or my VHS copies of the original unmolested trilogy. The extras themselves are also (so far) comprehensive and really interesting, I've only watched the ones for the original trilogy so far, I'm putting off going back to the prequels for a little bit.

Also, did anyone else feel that they'd edited some of the sequences in the original trilogy slightly differently, I haven't done a comparison, but I think the point where the millennium falcon destroys one of Vader's wingmen and Luke fires the torpedoes that destroys the death star happens in a slightly different order. I'll have to watch it again to be sure though!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

VanSandman posted:

You are the reason these things exist at all. You and people like you.

To be fair, he didn't ask Lucas to change poo poo. No one on the planet did. The blame lies only with Lucas. We just wanted the movies on blu-ray in HD. I had heard when they remastered them for the DVD SE's, they did remaster them in HD and simply downconverted for DVD. All I really wanted was those HD versions. I want to protest the stupid changes, but I'd also like the best visual quality for the other 99% of the movies that aren't changed. Ultimately I'll probably end up getting this set if there's a sale or if I get the urge to rewatch the movies. I watched them a couple years ago so I'm okay for now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Bluray players still play DVDs, right? Yeah, not gettin 'em.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Bolkovr posted:

how long does the action in "A New Hope" take? I watched it again last night and for the first time was struck with how constant the pacing was. There's never a moment where you get a sense that a lot of time has passed.

For some serious sperging, ask a SW fanboy how long Luke was training for on Dagobah.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hemp Knight posted:

For some serious sperging, ask a SW fanboy how long Luke was training for on Dagobah.

That question has been asked like 8 times in this thread's lifespan. And I think I was one of the ones asking.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So just how long was he training for? I thought it was a few days or so?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jefferoo posted:

So just how long was he training for? I thought it was a few days or so?

The general fan consensus appears to be several weeks, usually placed around 6. Enough time to learn Jedi tricks and for a disabled starship to slowly limp to Cloud City.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

The general fan consensus appears to be several weeks, usually placed around 6. Enough time to learn Jedi tricks and for a disabled starship to slowly limp to Cloud City.

Well no wonder Han & Leia had fallen in love by the time they got to cloud city. Except it wasn't love, it was more like Stockholm Syndrome or something. :haw:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Battlefront 2 has it as a level. You don't get to take part in any bit of the Death Star fight, but supposedly like 75% of the 501st (who are supposed to be the 'competent' troopers) were killed in the explosion, joined up with some other survivors, said gently caress it, and invaded Yavin IV. You fight your way uphill, blow up the front door to the rebel base, and kill three rebel generals/leaders. Later they go on to Hoth to kick rear end, so if you accept Battlefront games as canon in some way then the clonetroopers managed to last until Hoth at the very least, and all (mostly) as the same batch, though I'd assume casualties would be replaced with other clones. Also sometime between Eps III and IV the Emperor decided to start cloning other people/taking in conscripts.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bolkovr posted:

I'm farmboy Luke Skywalker, and today is the longest day of my life. All events occur in real time. :twentyfour:

(It's probably a few days. Let's :spergin: about Dagobah now)

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

davebo posted:

To be fair, he didn't ask Lucas to change poo poo. No one on the planet did. The blame lies only with Lucas. We just wanted the movies on blu-ray in HD. I had heard when they remastered them for the DVD SE's, they did remaster them in HD and simply downconverted for DVD. All I really wanted was those HD versions. I want to protest the stupid changes, but I'd also like the best visual quality for the other 99% of the movies that aren't changed. Ultimately I'll probably end up getting this set if there's a sale or if I get the urge to rewatch the movies. I watched them a couple years ago so I'm okay for now.

Rifftrax makes it go down smooth.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Bluray players still play DVDs, right? Yeah, not gettin 'em.

This is the correct answer. The original cuts are available on DVD, and most of the original effects were never meant to be shown in TRUE CINEMA 3D-HD BRROOOWWWW.

Nature specials like Blue Planet and Planet Earth must be seen by all human beings in high definition (ha-ha, clearance HD-DVD player, sucka!). Other than that, I really don't care.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd like to hear what a professional swordsman thinks of the duels in Star Wars, especially comparing the OT and PT fights.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Torael_7 posted:

Well no wonder Han & Leia had fallen in love by the time they got to cloud city. Except it wasn't love, it was more like Stockholm Syndrome or something. :haw:
Leia wore the same clothes the whole trip, didn't she? Ew. Or maybe she was padding around in Han's jim-jams while she washed her whites.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Payndz posted:

Leia wore the same clothes the whole trip, didn't she? Ew. Or maybe she was padding around in Han's jim-jams while she washed her whites.

Alternatively, space fabric.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Torael_7 posted:

Insert Courtship Of Princess Leia joke here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Insert Courtship Of Princess Leia joke here.

That whole book was a joke. Allston did an amazing job actually fleshing out Zsinj as a villain and character. (If I recall correctly, Courtship was a few years before the X-Wing books).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TannhauserGate posted:

Alternatively, space fabric.

That same space fabric that lifts and seperates too, as bras don't exist in the Star Wars Universe.

Young Lucas was quite the model creeper.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

SeanBeansShako posted:

Young Lucas was quite the model creeper.
Old Lucas designed this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WebDog posted:

Old Lucas designed this.

Well, that was after he decided that any interaction with the opposite sex at all was evil and pointless.

Good dress design though. Shame about him still pissing over our collective childhood memories for money.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 19, 2011

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WebDog posted:

Old Lucas designed this.

I would have expected the evil mistress of Zorg from 5th Element to wear this. I wouldn't have expected the character that is basically the Leia-stand in to wear this.

... while she talks about not being allowed to have sex, at that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Blue balls forced Anakin over to the dark side.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Blue balls forced Anakin over to the dark side.

Then how does his redemption wor... no please for the love of God don't answer that!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Then how does his redemption wor... no please for the love of God don't answer that!

Being a electronic life supported gimp for a creepy old dude in a robe for twenty years would drive anyone to homicide.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WebDog posted:

Old Lucas designed this.

"Like a BDSM Mermaid" a funnier man than I once said about this costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Being a electronic life supported gimp for a creepy old dude in a robe for twenty years would drive anyone to homicide.

quote:

"Like a BDSM Mermaid" a funnier man than I once said about this costume.

Why, she really looks like the wife of Darth Vader here!