Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Duckman2008 posted:

I could be wrong, but right now my sources say no way. Honestly, sprint got burned by the arrive so i doubt it is in a hurry to get another windows phone. Sorry man.

Hope that's not true. I'd been hoping to switch as soon as a 4g WP7 appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How did Sprint get burned by the Arrive? It's a fantastic phone with one of the best hardware keyboards I have ever used.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ratbert90 posted:

How did Sprint get burned by the Arrive? It's a fantastic phone with one of the best hardware keyboards I have ever used.

It sold worse than the Kyocera Echo.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
At least they didn't get as burned as Verizon did with the Kin, haha.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dundun posted:

It sold worse than the Kyocera Echo.

Sounds like the fault of Sprint, not HTC. The Arrive has been a really stable nice phone for me and my friends.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
I know when I went to the sprint store to get my arrive the guy kind of did a double take and said "Are you sure you're not interested in the Nexus S" so I'm sure that Sprint did the same thing as ATT did and didn't really have any idea if it was good or to promote it in any way.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

ratbert90 posted:

Sounds like the fault of Sprint, not HTC. The Arrive has been a really stable nice phone for me and my friends.

Honestly, selling Windows Phone 7 is just frankly harder than Android. The training on it was really subpar and most salespeople don't really know why it's good or what its selling points are compared to Android. I sell the most Windows phones in my T-Mobile store, which is to say that I sell any WP7 devices.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Matlock posted:

At least they didn't get as burned as Verizon did with the Kin, haha.

I actually met someone who had a Kin. I didn't think any of them actually existed.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Edit - nevermind

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Honestly, selling Windows Phone 7 is just frankly harder than Android. The training on it was really subpar and most salespeople don't really know why it's good or what its selling points are compared to Android. I sell the most Windows phones in my T-Mobile store, which is to say that I sell any WP7 devices.

It shouldn't be harder, especially with Mango.

"It integrated with your computer that you already have, it has Xbox live games if you are a gamer, it comes with Skydrive integration which is a free 25gigs of space for your documents, pictures and files. It has Office integration and has over 25,000apps on it's marketplace AND gets better battery life than Android."

There, I just sold a phone for you.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

ratbert90 posted:

"It integrated with your computer that you already have, it has Xbox live games if you are a gamer, it comes with Skydrive integration which is a free 25gigs of space for your documents, pictures and files. It has Office integration and has over 25,000apps on it's marketplace AND gets better battery life than Android."

But DROID DOES :downs:

edit: before I get probated, I meant to type that WP7's marketing campaign has not been as good as the OG Droid's, and people just don't come in asking about it as often as they do about "That There Droid Phone" that their friends have. I do agree that it SHOULD be an easy sell, but people usually buy what their friends and family have and if that's Android then I'm probably selling them Android. My Windows Phone customers are typically people that really NEED SkyDrive or robust Office support that they can't get easily on other platforms.

A COMPUTER GUY fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 19, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

But DROID DOES :downs:

It certainly does! Let's compare the two and you can make up your mind.

Now not only do you have a sale of either phone, but you may get them to try WP7 also! :unsmith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I've said it in the windows phone thread, but Grant is completely correct, and at the end of the day windows phone 7 isn't cool. Phones are currently the hip thing, and the cool kids get iPhone and android. I've tried to sell the arrive, and people were literally afraid their friends would make fun of them for not getting a Droid. And honestly, why would I take the time to sell someone windows when they already are ok with the EVO and are willing to pay for it? It's wasted time and effort. One of the biggest mistakes sales wise is accidentally making a customer question the purchase, and usually showing windows vs android is doing that.

The arrive was also plagued by a high $200 price point and last I checked is still at that price. Sprint seems to love android and blackberry (yes probably iPhone soon as well) so i wouldn't expect much with windows on sprint. Maybe as am after thought, but that's it.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
When I was at the store getting my Evo replaced I said "what can you tell me about those windows phones?", and all the sales guy said was "you don't want one, trust me".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Besides, windows 8 is gonna be where it's at. Why bother with 7.5 or whatever when 8 is just going to completely change everything?

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a question:

Despite having my EVO for a year, while browsing the Sprint website, I saw that I'm eligible to sign up for Sprint Total Equipment Protection. A little while back I dropped my phone and I have a small crack on the one side of the screen. Does the TEP cover a cracked screen replacement? And if so, is coverage cancel-able at a later date?

The damage doesn't bother me much, and the phone is still very usable, but if I can get it replaced for $8-16 or whatever, I'm more than willing to jump on that train.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Unless they've changed things, you can add TEP any time, but you can't make a claim until after 30 days. You can also remove TEP any time, but you can't re-add it for the same phone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

An update popped up on the tray of my Optimus this morning. A Gingerbread update. This totally means Duckman was wrong when he told me that Sprint rep was full of crap, right? :smug::smug::smug:

So far, it's....eh. It's great to have the new text selection tools, but a lot of standard animations are way choppier than before :v:

Also, continuing the discussion from the last page, Wikipedia says the CDMA Optimus One has 800 MHz support. Hopefully the "S" does too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jusion posted:

Does the TEP cover a cracked screen replacement?
Usually once a year or so Sprint has an open-enrollment period for TEP that allows you to add coverage to older-than-30-days devices.
If the Sprint Phone Repair Center page is to be believed, a cracked screen would count as physical damage and require a $50 deductable to fix, with TEP. It's either $100-120 without TEP, depending on whether the Evo is considered a "PDA Smartphone".

I don't know why, but I find TEP extremely confusing. I swear, even with the recent clarifications the rates posted on the above page don't match my memory.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Also, continuing the discussion from the last page, Wikipedia says the CDMA Optimus One has 800 MHz support. Hopefully the "S" does too.
That actually refers to support for the "Cellular" (old AMPS) band that Verizon, US Cellular, and Alltel's CDMA service runs on. Pretty much every CDMA phone for the past decade supports it, even on Sprint, for roaming purposes.

What you're interested in is SMR ("old" iDen) band support. Which, while also located in the 800-900 MHz, actually uses a different set of frequencies from the "Cellular" band, and so requires explicit radio support. To my knowledge, the Optimus S doesn't support SMR.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

An update popped up on the tray of my Optimus this morning. A Gingerbread update. This totally means Duckman was wrong when he told me that Sprint rep was full of crap, right? :smug::smug::smug:

So far, it's....eh. It's great to have the new text selection tools, but a lot of standard animations are way choppier than before :v:

There are already stripped/optimized versions of the zvh rom over at androidcentral, but no OCd kernels or CM7 port yet. I'm sticking with 2.2 for a little while to let things shake out a bit; my phone's stable and loaded with apps at the moment, and the zvh radio rules out reverting.

It's dual band 850/1900MHz, I'm afraid, no 800. [efb, and in more detail]

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

jusion posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a question:

Despite having my EVO for a year, while browsing the Sprint website, I saw that I'm eligible to sign up for Sprint Total Equipment Protection. A little while back I dropped my phone and I have a small crack on the one side of the screen. Does the TEP cover a cracked screen replacement? And if so, is coverage cancel-able at a later date?

The damage doesn't bother me much, and the phone is still very usable, but if I can get it replaced for $8-16 or whatever, I'm more than willing to jump on that train.
September is an open enrollment month, allowing you to add coverage to a device that you previously left uninsured. Unfortunately in your case, a drop resulting in a cracked screen is covered under the Assurion ERP portion of TEP. Replacement will cost you a $100 deductible. Normally you'd be better off getting a screen replacement from eBay, but I've heard the Evo screen is especially difficult to replace.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the standard American CDMA 800 band, like Verizon and other regional CDMA carriers use. It's not compatible with the 850mHz SMR band Sprint is planning to appropriate from Nextel.

Are the new SMR band phones CDMA tri-brand 800/850SMR/1900PCS? Have any Evo 3D users noticed their phone not roaming to Verizon where their previous Sprint phones would?

EDIT: Beaten by a mile! How did it take me 11 minutes to get that post added?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Are the new SMR band phones CDMA tri-brand 800/850SMR/1900PCS?
I'm almost certain they are. The SMR (well, ESMR after the FCC repurposed a bunch of it) basically sits in the 8 MHz below the existing Cellular band, for both uplink and downlink. For radio purposes, it's still effectively a dual-band design, just expanding the "800 band" support a bit. Still, that's something the hardware has to be designed for.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

goku chewbacca posted:

but I've heard the Evo screen is especially difficult to replace.

It is, I have tried. It's not nearly as easy as the youtube video would have you believe

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Hey hey, just because a Sprint rep says something that turns out to be true does not mean he was still full of crap at the time!

Very glad to hear that it got the update though, bout time.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Unless they've changed things, you can add TEP any time, but you can't make a claim until after 30 days. You can also remove TEP any time, but you can't re-add it for the same phone.

As others have said, open enrollment goes until September 30th.

i interviewed at a Sprint store today, and pretty much got the job. It even has a tech center, but is still in the mall so it looks like I will not have justification to change my avatar :/ On the plus side, I'm still waiting to hear back from a bigger, non-Sprint wireless job, so I have my fingers crossed. I'll try and update the OP since Sprint just changed every drat policy they have.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

I interviewed at a Sprint store today, and pretty much got the job. It even has a tech center, but is still in the mall so it looks like I will not have justification to change my avatar :/ On the plus side, I'm still waiting to hear back from a bigger, non-Sprint wireless job, so I have my fingers crossed. I'll try and update the OP since Sprint just changed every drat policy they have.

Congrats, which store?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think the only time I've ever seen a sprint store that wasn't a kiosk was in manhattan...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

change my name posted:

I think the only time I've ever seen a sprint store that wasn't a kiosk was in manhattan...

We have a couple in the Orlando area that are regular stores. They do exist.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Skeezy posted:

We have a couple in the Orlando area that are regular stores. They do exist.

They're on every loving corner in Dallas. I can see two from my office (pretty sure one of them is either closed or a third party store, but still...)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Congrats, which store?

Exton mallof all places. It's a 45 minute drive for me, which is the major bummer. Store near me wasn't hiring.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

Most of the malls around here have real stores in them, and there are some full non mall stores as well.

Duckman2008 posted:

Exton mallof all places. It's a 45 minute drive for me, which is the major bummer. Store near me wasn't hiring.

I work fairly close to Exton! If you're 45 minutes from there you might live near me.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Duckman2008 posted:

Not to get too much off topic but is the pay/benefits really that much better at a corporate store vs. a mall Kiosk that its worth a 45 minute drive?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Somebody is going to need to buy him a new custom title.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
@flyers I live in chestnut hill, I'll send you a pm, or if you dont have that my email is jimbellizzi @ (gmail). Let's meet up, friends are always good.

dundun posted:

Not to get too much off topic but is the pay/benefits really that much better at a corporate store vs. a mall Kiosk that its worth a 45 minute drive?

No,but sprint corporate is on a hiring freeze. I interviewed there but they literally are not allowed to hire me. Hopefully I get the better job I applied for and its a non issue. For the mall kiosk my conditions are a 4 day work week of 10ish hours a day (i am used to that) so it reduces driving there. And sadly, it offers benefits: a fridge. My old kiosk did not have a fridge! I do need to just start working since I am low on cash, so if i switch later whatever.

brc64 posted:

Somebody is going to need to buy him a new custom title.

Yes please.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 20, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ExcessBLarg! posted:

To be fair, nobody's trying. The alleged excuse is that it will be far easier to port CM to the Epic once the GB kernel sources are released. While that may make things a bit easier, I'm unconvinced it's not doable otherwise. However, that doesn't address either the camera or the GPS.

I'm not sure what's up with the camera. The problem with the SGS is that the Epic is unlike other (at least, the GSM) Galaxy S models where instead of accessing the GPS via GPIO pins, all GPS communication is routed through the baseband processor and transported over Samsung's proprietary RIL. Most of that transport code is in native libraries, so it's either a significant reverse engineering effort, or it involves running the proprietary RIL & librarires on CM. I don't know yet if there's any limitations in doing the latter, but given that the GPS is broken in Samsung's GB present GB leaks, it doesn't bode well.

The other difficulty in porting CM to the Epic is that there's no good mechanism for testing kernels on Samsung hardware. Only one active kernel can exist on the device at a time, two if you do some hackery and give up recovery support. The fact that kernels are flashed to non-translation partitions makes folks weary of doing it too much. So assuming you actually want a working phone during development, you pretty much need a dedicated development device.

In contrast with HTC devices you can install a ROM purely to SD card, and "fastboot boot" a kernel straight over USB, no flashing required.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Usually once a year or so Sprint has an open-enrollment period for TEP that allows you to add coverage to older-than-30-days devices.
If the Sprint Phone Repair Center page is to be believed, a cracked screen would count as physical damage and require a $50 deductable to fix, with TEP. It's either $100-120 without TEP, depending on whether the Evo is considered a "PDA Smartphone".

I don't know why, but I find TEP extremely confusing. I swear, even with the recent clarifications the rates posted on the above page don't match my memory.

That actually refers to support for the "Cellular" (old AMPS) band that Verizon, US Cellular, and Alltel's CDMA service runs on. Pretty much every CDMA phone for the past decade supports it, even on Sprint, for roaming purposes.

What you're interested in is SMR ("old" iDen) band support. Which, while also located in the 800-900 MHz, actually uses a different set of frequencies from the "Cellular" band, and so requires explicit radio support. To my knowledge, the Optimus S doesn't support SMR.

I know I'm a couple days late on the first post...but I wanted to say how awesome of a poster you are. Your brain is a treasure trove of interesting knowledge, and I learn something from you every time you post. Thank you for being an awesome poster.

In Sprint-related questions...I'm not sure I understand the Gold Premier phase-out policy. It mentions something about being eligible for "one more upgrade" before the end of 2012...so here's my question:

Would it be possible to get TWO upgrades between now and December 2012? -

I have an OG Evo and I'm eligible for an upgrade. I've been holding out for the Nexus Prime...but I don't want to "lose" an upgrade either... Should I upgrade NOW (and if I really really want the Nexus Prime just sell the Evo3D/Photon/SGSIIE4GT (Seriously, Sprint? That name is absurd) in a couple months and to buy the Prime outright? That way I could get ANOTHER phone in September/October of 2012?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

@flyers I live in chestnut hill, I'll send you a pm, or if you dont have that my email is jimbellizzi @ (gmail). Let's meet up, friends are always good.

Beat you to it, check your PM.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Optimus S got an OTA update to Gingerbread. Keyboard/dictionary is borked, and none of the apps that the update log say would be updated (camera, task manager, download, power management) were actually updated.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Duckman2008 posted:

None of the Philly stores or kiosks were hiring? There seems to be an endless supply of places to buy a cellphone in Philly.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, if you own an Optimus S, do not install the OTA update. It's known to be broken, and Sprint says they're waiting for a fix.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Matlock posted:

Yeah, if you own an Optimus S, do not install the OTA update. It's known to be broken, and Sprint says they're waiting for a fix.

If Sprint knows it's broken, why hasn't it been pulled? Or has it? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clockworx posted:

None of the Philly stores or kiosks were hiring? There seems to be an endless supply of places to buy a cellphone in Philly.

Sprint corporate is on a hiring freeze. No corporate store can hire me.

And in general and seriousness working at s lovely mall kiosk can pay if you know how to do it right. Only bummer with the location I am taking a job is the driving distance, otherwise I do make quite enough commission to make it worth my while, and their traffic is good enough to keep me in the black. Ups and downs between corporate and non corporate in any case.