Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What does Loofah mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What does Loofah mean?
I haven't the slightest clue.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Quad posted:

Sometime after Tommyknockers ('87?) his family did an intervention that led to him eventually quitting pretty much everything. I think Blood and Smoke, him reading 3 short stories that dealt with smoking as audiobooks, was him quitting smoking, too?

And I think the sewer scene in IT isn't the worst thing ever written, rather it's indicative of him sneaking an uncomfortable sex scene of some sort into lots of different stories. Hell, the scene in The Stand where guy sticks a revolver up other guys rear end and whispers "make me cum or die" did not need to be there either. Actually I think that's one of the extra scenes in the revised version.
Or the entire plot of Gerald's Game.
Or the furries in The Shining.
Come on y'all, help me out, I know there are more "King has sex issues" scenes.

Not technically a novel, but there's the bit in "The Raft" where the guy and gal, having just watched her boyfriend and the girl he liked get devoured by a sentient oil slick, end up loving (which of course also eventually leads to their own deaths).

On the one hand, it's kind of understandable; after all, they're both cold and huddling together to keep warm. And most guys have probably daydreamed about what would happen if they were stranded somewhere with a good-looking woman.

On the other hand, you'd think that watching two people get devoured in a particularly gruesome way -- and only a few feet from you, at that -- would be quite the bucket of ice water on the ol' libido there.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
I read Needful Things when I was probably too young and remember a scene where Polly Chalmers and Alan Pangborn screw and there was a whole lot of description of her getting fingered. I could be misremembering it, though.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
Dude masturbating in his wife's clothes and cumming into a garbage disposal in Firestarter.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Not a sex scene, but from the first ~50 pages of The Stand I read, I remember one of the characters opening the fridge, looking at a plate of sausages and commenting that it looked like the dicks of pygmy people, as though someone cut off their dick and put it on a plate.

Still don't get what the point of that way =/

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Have we forgotten Bobbi grabbing her sister with her (Bpbbis) newly grown vaginal tentacles? Or am I misremembering that part? If I am and Bobbis sister didn't get eaten by the newly grown henticles swinging from Bobbis twat then someone point me toward the nearest doctor because I could have sworn that happened.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I have read ALOT of Stephen King's books and I don't remember ANY of these (except for the one in IT). I'm starting to think my brain just blocks out those parts so I can attempt to enjoy the rest of the book.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Local Group Bus posted:

Have we forgotten Bobbi grabbing her sister with her (Bpbbis) newly grown vaginal tentacles? Or am I misremembering that part? If I am and Bobbis sister didn't get eaten by the newly grown henticles swinging from Bobbis twat then someone point me toward the nearest doctor because I could have sworn that happened.

She wasn't eaten, but was grabbed, yes, and then presumably subdued and hung up in the 'organic storage-battery' shower-type place.

It was pretty sick.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
A minor one, but the short story "My Pretty Pony". A sweet little tale about an old man giving advice to his grandson and the realisation that time is creeping up on you. Has a throwaway line that the kid's sister strokes his dick, for no apparent reason. Always stuck out at me, for precisely how incongruous it was.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

QuentinCompson posted:

She wasn't eaten, but was grabbed, yes, and then presumably subdued and hung up in the 'organic storage-battery' shower-type place.

It was pretty sick.

What always bothered me about this is literally right before that happened, the protagonist (I can't remember his name) had sex with her. Did he not notice that poo poo?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dreamcatcher had that weird tangent about the army guy who got a boner breaking his neighbor's plates and how he wanted to piss on their toothbrushes but his "dingus" was too hard :wtc:

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I'm a few chapters from the end of Duma Key and the book just totally sucks, muchachos. I'm not sure what King was thinking but the whole haunted psychic painting stuff doesn't go anywhere. It just drags on and on and people get killed and it's real boring. Even his characterizations seem forced.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I actually like Duma Key and I've hated his post-accident stuff, for the most part. I think that the prose/pacing just worked really well for me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

L-O-N posted:

The time structure of It was one of the reasons I liked it so much in the first place. The back and forth seeing what led to certain actions and finding where It really was made it exciting. If the book had a straight timeline like the movie version, it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.

Same here. The climax (and much of the rest of the book) being a parallel back and forth actually kept it more interesting to me, and was one of the main reasons I liked it. It also helped with keeping IT's nature somewhat hidden until the end, which helped to keep the stakes right where they should be at all times. Because of the parallel timeline, the book kept ramping up towards its finale with the danger jumping more and more as the book went on.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Stephen King sex scene discussion thread. Is the sex in his books really a big deal

I was digging today and found a thing. Stephen King said about the IT gangbang

quote:

I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues.

juliuspringle posted:

Well this is the WORST Stephen King novel thread not the BEST Stephen King novel. Is there any sort of list out there that lays out what he wrote while trippin balls or whatever and what he wrote when he wasn't? Because I'm wondering if he wrote anything good that wasn't done while high.

This is a terrible post. Do people literally just post in this thread as the worst Stephen King novel thread as I think it pretty much functions as general Stephen King discussion

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 19, 2011

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
So, after being an avid Stephen King fan for nearly two decades now, I think I've actually pinpointed my most irritating King-ism. No, it's not a disturbing fixation on penises (often those of little boys). No, it's not, "But little did he know that would be the last time he did (GENERIC TASK) alive!!!" It's not even his insistence on, "(UNRELATED BOOK TOPIC) HeyGuysthere'stotallyaTOWERouttheredidyouknowIwrotebooksaboutaTOWERthathasnothingtodowiththisnovelIjustthoughtI'dmentionthisTOWERthingagain (UNRELATED BOOK TOPIC)."

No, for whatever reason, nothing infuriates me as much as this:

"That was when Sally Soandso decided to pour herself a Winnebago Martini. She does this by filling her martini glass to the three-quarters point with high priced gin and formally saluting the unopened bottle of vermouth for good luck while crossing her eyes and hopping on one foot."

I swear to God, I've seen variations on this in at least three novels now and it's starting to fill me with disproportionate rage. NOBODY loving DOES THIS AND IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU WITTY AND CLEVER FOR WRITING SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Most of the time I get really bothered by his use of private slang and heavily repeated in-joke type phrases. I know that they kind of represent the author's personal style and inclinations, and that King fans eat them up, but drat.

*edit* Disclaimer - I guess I'm a Stephen King fan too, and think he's a great writer. :colbert: But that doesn't mean I can't complain about him for hours.

Locus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 20, 2011

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Locus posted:

Most of the time I get really bothered by his use of private slang and heavily repeated in-joke type phrases. I know that they kind of represent the author's personal style and inclinations, and that King fans eat them up, but drat.

*edit* Disclaimer - I guess I'm a Stephen King fan too, and think he's a great writer. :colbert: But that doesn't mean I can't complain about him for hours.

Ayuh, I know what you mean.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Since this is now the general King thread, I just wanted to point out Tee Fury has a shirt based on The Stand today.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Locus posted:

Sounds like you should poo poo in a boot and eat it.

Yeah, goddamn does that drive me crazy when he does that. Actually I think I pretty much said the same thing, a good 20 or so pages back. None of the phrases are even good =/

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah his slang has come up in this thread often. I've often bitched about him reusing the same phrases too. Oy sure looks at everything mistrustfully

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
His forced references to pop icons, movies, or actors is kind of annoying to. In that short story about the woman that gets raped by the truck driver he keeps mentioning that crappy revenge movie released a few years ago with Jodie Foster in it. I get the impression he only mentions these people because they are probably his friends in real life and he just wants to give them a random shout out in his book.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I've mentioned this before, but in IT when the Losers say "Beep-beep Richie" to calm him down when he's being too much of a wiseass -- how did they come up with it? Is it some reference Boomers will instantly get? It always bothered me and I can't imagine a character coming out with it in a natural way.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I've mentioned this before, but in IT when the Losers say "Beep-beep Richie" to calm him down when he's being too much of a wiseass -- how did they come up with it? Is it some reference Boomers will instantly get? It always bothered me and I can't imagine a character coming out with it in a natural way.

They explain it in the beginning. It is an inside joke with that group but they talk about it in the book.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I don't remember an explanation for it. What was it?

Also, I think what bothers me about those inside jokes, is that even when they're not totally lame-sounding, they get repeated more than would ever be realistic. In real life, most people get sick of that sort of thing pretty fast.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Having finally started a serious run at Under the Dome I was liking it until that "skateboard" kid showed up. Yet another instance of King not knowing how people younger than him talk and act anymore.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drimble Wedge posted:

It's a reference to television, when something is bleeped out.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

I have read ALOT of Stephen King's books and I don't remember ANY of these (except for the one in IT). I'm starting to think my brain just blocks out those parts so I can attempt to enjoy the rest of the book.

Same here for the most part, though I read most of them 20-25 years ago when I was pre-sexual so I probably didn't appreciate how screwed up it all was. The scene in IT didn't even make an impression. Only things that really stood out were the tentacles in Tommyknockers, the frequent allusions to pedophilia in The Talisman, and IT's syphilitic hobo "Come back here kid, I'll blow you for free." Funny thing is, I thought at first that these kinds of things happen frequently. Then I went through most of my life thinking it was mostly made up. Unfortunately, now I know that King's sex stuff isn't uncommon enough...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Locus posted:

I don't remember an explanation for it. What was it?

Also, I think what bothers me about those inside jokes, is that even when they're not totally lame-sounding, they get repeated more than would ever be realistic. In real life, most people get sick of that sort of thing pretty fast.

I didn't mind the phrases in IT, so much as his newer books. For instance, his new Kindle short story has the kids talking in slang that I'm not sure any kid would use in any era, like a weird mix of 60s and 80s slang - I actually thought the books was supposed to be set in the 60's at first and he was forgetting some words weren't in use yet.

Also, yeah, he tends to date his modern stuff more than his earlier stuff - he seems to be so enamored with certain bits of new technology that he includes them in his books immediately, by brand name, which dates certain things that don't really need to be dated.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just remember one of the kids in Under the Dome saying radical or some other outdated slang. I rolled my eyes because its 2011 and come on Stephen.

RADICALS ARE FOR MATH!!

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

JammyLammy posted:

Sounds like you should poo poo in a boot and eat it.

"CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT, BUT SATISFACTION BROUGHT HIM BACK." :downs:

(Yeah, I know it's a real quote. But it's also never actually been said by a normal human being in coversation, ever.)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I realized while browsing this thread the other day that I've never actually read Bag of Bones, so I got it on my Kindle and have been reading through it...

And God, I'm only like 35% in (Noonan's just gone back to Sara) and if I have to read one more time the guy talking about hallucinating because writers train their minds to misbehave, I think I might just delete the drat thing.

To me, that's the worst part of King's writing - it's not that he comes up with goofy responses for his characters to normal world things, but that once he finds something he thinks is clever or whatever, he runs that poo poo right into the ground.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

That drat Satyr posted:

To me, that's the worst part of King's writing - it's not that he comes up with goofy responses for his characters to normal world things, but that once he finds something he thinks is clever or whatever, he runs that poo poo right into the ground.
This is my number one complaint as well. After about a year of reading him so much poo poo felt familiar, even whole loving phrases, that it just became intolerable.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Just finished reading The Long Walk in one evening on saturday following the suggestions in this thread. Pretty good book. Ending is a bit of a downer.

King really has a knack for writting about people getting shot dead.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
"And that was the last time he spoke to #63.."

I'd re-read Long Walk if King foreshadowed every death in it (Which he did but you know what I mean)

Goddamn Gramma is a wonderful short story. Good length and build-up and the payoff is wonderful. I wish he could write them like this still.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
This just in: "The Colorado Kid" may be the worst King book I've ever read. It literally, by it's very nature and definition, goes absolutely nowhere. I knew this going into it, so I have no one to blame for reading it but me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

OK Octopus posted:

This just in: "The Colorado Kid" may be the worst King book I've ever read. It literally, by it's very nature and definition, goes absolutely nowhere. I knew this going into it, so I have no one to blame for reading it but me.

But it gave us the show 'Haven' so there IS at least one redeeming factor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently King IS writing a sequel to The Shining. Called Dr Sleep it follows a 40 year old Danny as he works as an attendant at a hospice using his powers to help people transition into death. Also there will be vampires. Pirate vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

So apparently King IS writing a sequel to The Shining. Called Dr Sleep it follows a 40 year old Danny as he works as an attendant at a hospice using his powers to help people transition into death. Also there will be vampires. Pirate vampires.
Oh, well that sounds intere- what. :stare: