Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'd say it's more of a complement to Steam. It fills the void that Steam doesn't cover.
I totally agree with this. I only signed up for GOG to play Tyrian 2000 (which I never finished :v:). But, after buying Myst, Descent 1+2, and The Incredible Machine Mega Pack, I'm starting to love what GOG has to offer that Steam lacks. I just wish I had more money that I wouldn't mind spending so I could take advantage of the awesome sales they have (especially a couple weeks ago when Apogee's library was on sale :().

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Furret Basket posted:

Don't know when it happened but looks like Windows 7 has silently been readded to the Dungeon Keeper 2 page. So I guess that means it's fixed?

I went and bought it just now - it seems to run admirably aside from hardware acceleration turning the graphics into a glitchy black mess. Gotta fiddle with the settings, see if something happens.

e: Looks like the problem profile is the same as before. Z-buffer errors with hardware acceleration and the game crashed when I clicked the Review Objectives button. Take it as you will.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 19, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

GoG.com is steadily growing more and more on me. The only contender to Steam in my eyes.

They're not a contender at all, though, since they re-release old games with no DRM whereas Steam is a DRM platform mostly for new games (and their old games releases are almost always broken).

But yes, GOG rocks.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're not a contender at all, though, since they re-release old games with no DRM whereas Steam is a DRM platform mostly for new games (and their old games releases are almost always broken).

But yes, GOG rocks.

Yeah, gently caress Kingpin on Steam. Doesn't have the opening FMV.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

scamtank posted:

I went and bought it just now - it seems to run admirably aside from hardware acceleration turning the graphics into a glitchy black mess. Gotta fiddle with the settings, see if something happens.

e: Looks like the problem profile is the same as before. Z-buffer errors with hardware acceleration and the game crashed when I clicked the Review Objectives button. Take it as you will.

Theres a safe mode file in the support forum. That combined with software rendering has resolved most of my crashing issues. I still occasionally crash in my pet dungeons but poo poo I remember the original game doing that too so I can't be certain they're linked.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

For the hardware acceleration problem, try manually disabling anti-aliasing for the DKII exe in your graphics card's control centre (nVidia control panel or similar). There are other fixes for getting DKII to work but presumably the GOG version already has those in place.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Do you guys think there's any chance of Civilization II showing up on GOG? It's possibly my favorite PC game of all time, and as far as I know, only the MGE version runs in W7 x64, which is a shame because the diplomacy is broken in comparison to Classic (2.42) — the AI is always mad at you.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

But yes, GOG rocks.

Yeah, GOG is unarguably a niche store, but they fill that niche perfectly. The only weakness they have isn't really their fault - it's that publishers can be dicks and that some licenses are just lost.

For a lot of old games, there's GOG.com. For everything else, there's oldgames.sk, who package all their stuff up very akin to GOG, and replace stuff with purchase links the moment GOG start selling it again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, GOG is unarguably a niche store, but they fill that niche perfectly. The only weakness they have isn't really their fault - it's that publishers can be dicks and that some licenses are just lost.

For a lot of old games, there's GOG.com. For everything else, there's oldgames.sk, who package all their stuff up very akin to GOG, and replace stuff with purchase links the moment GOG start selling it again.

Dominic, you are a fantastic source of information. That site has most of Microprose's old back catalogue, including Darklands and Gunship 2000 - I sunk HOURS into those as a kid!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Since this is the place to go for oldgames, does anybody know offhand whether shadow president works in Boxer on OS X?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dominic White posted:

Great site, reminds me of the Home of the Underdogs, best site ever.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Great site, reminds me of the Home of the Underdogs, best site ever.

Yeah, I'd describe it as the modern successor to HOTU. They put a ton of effort into everything on there, right down to copying GOG's 'pre-packed with DOSBox in a standard windows installer' format.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Absolutely, and their strength is that they don't compete with Steam, unlike GamersGate, Origin et al.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Well my Asus Sandy bridge motherboard decided to take a dump 4 months after they sent me a refurb replacement. Sooooo now I have an old-ish laptop. GOG is going to be my pc gamer go-to place until I get my i5 fixed.

http://i.imgur.com/XsIUg.png
Man I played the HELL out of WC 3/4. I love these games. Im not sure how space shooters hold up now over time, but I have fond, fond memories of Wing Commander. So ahead of their time.

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 19, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Since this is the place to go for oldgames, does anybody know offhand whether shadow president works in Boxer on OS X?

Boxer is based on DOSBOX, so you can generally just check the DOSBOX compatibility database.

(spoiler: it works)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

strategery posted:

Well my Asus Sandy bridge motherboard decided to take a dump 4 months after they sent me a refurb replacement. Sooooo now I have an old-ish laptop. GOG is going to be my pc gamer go-to place until I get my i5 fixed.

Man I played the HELL out of WC 3/4. I love these games. Im not sure how space shooters hold up now over time, but I have fond, fond memories of Wing Commander. So ahead of their time.
I've been going through the series again for the first time in at least ten years, and the difference in quality between WC1 and WC2 makes me really excited for WC3. Still, the resolution is a very pixelated 320x240, and the engine might have some problems when there are too many sprites, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of myself. Oh, and don't forget to pick up Privateer, too.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

strategery posted:

It's kinda odd though - WC1 feels way ahead of its time, but the gameplay stayed exactly the same for the entire series so WCP felt a little bit stale. I wish Chris Roberts had dared to experiment with his game formula some more.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bubbacub posted:

It's kinda odd though - WC1 feels way ahead of its time, but the gameplay stayed exactly the same for the entire series so WCP felt a little bit stale. I wish Chris Roberts had dared to experiment with his game formula some more.
I'm not sure how anyone could have modified the gameplay for a space flightsim shooter in the 1990s. There were sandbox elements in Privateer, WC3 added live-action cutscenes, and Secret Ops was available as a download.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I'd describe it as the modern successor to HOTU. They put a ton of effort into everything on there, right down to copying GOG's 'pre-packed with DOSBox in a standard windows installer' format.
Holy poo poo. I love you so much it burns when I pee.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

duckfarts posted:

I love id to death for getting me into PC gaming, but their pre-Wolf3D games (excluding Commander Keen) are just...ugh. I can see how they might have been cool back in the day, but I can't play them. Even Wolfenstein barely holds up with no automap.

Edit: I just found out that Abandonia has SimTower for download. Game owns.

Edit 2: It's the original installation files and the setup won't run under 64-bit Windows. FUUUUU

Edit 3: Installing it in XP Mode and dragging the game files over to Windows 7 doesn't work either since the game has a 16-bit exe. Lame. No wonder GoG is hiring people to reverse engineer this poo poo.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 20, 2011

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

duckfarts posted:

Keep in mind that the site is technically piracy so don't tattoo the URL on the forehead of your firstborn or anything.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I've been silently debating for a while how kosher it would be by Games rules to start a thread for sharing the really old and rare crap. I've got copies of Gizmos & Gadgets (Windows 3.1/9x CD version), Reader Rabbit 3, Word/Number/Super Munchers, Logic Quest 3D, Big Science Comics, Mario Teaches Typing 1, Orly's Draw-a-Story, Stay Tooned!, Kid's Typing, Math Blaster (pre- Blaster's Universe reskin), Timon & Pumbaa's Jungle Games, the interactive Living Books version of Green Eggs & Ham...

My major hangups are that I don't have permission (or PMs), it'd be a really niche topic, and perhaps so much so that nobody else would have anything to contribute. I dunno. :ohdear:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

quakster posted:

Keep in mind that the site is technically piracy so don't tattoo the URL on the forehead of your firstborn or anything.

Eh, I got it okayed with the mods to link that site here a while back. It basically falls under the same header as HOTU did back in the day - it's technically outside the bounds of law, but it exists solely because the law doesn't offer any other distribution options.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Also it's in Slovakia so the site itself is probably not going anywhere anytime soon :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dominic White posted:

Eh, I got it okayed with the mods to link that site here a while back. It basically falls under the same header as HOTU did back in the day - it's technically outside the bounds of law, but it exists solely because the law doesn't offer any other distribution options.

Also, if the games listed are for sale on gog or dotemu, they link to the sale page and don't offer a free download. It's as legit as abandonware gets.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Sankis posted:

Also it's in Slovakia so the site itself is probably not going anywhere anytime soon :v:

Well, Slovakia is a member of the European Union, so it actually might. At least if the IP lobbyists get their way.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Smol posted:

Well, Slovakia is a member of the European Union, so it actually might. At least if the IP lobbyists get their way.

If those scumbag cocksuckers (IP lawyers that is) offer an ultimatum that ends up with older games back on the market, it might be worth it. Even if dirtbag publishers wind up making a penny off of the game, we can but hope that GOG gets the licenses and continues their reverse engineering magic as we move beyond DOS Box into early DirectX titles.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
ArmA: Cold War Assault is now up on GOG for $5.99. This replaces Operation Flashpoint from before.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

ArmA: Cold War Assault is now up on GOG for $5.99. This replaces Operation Flashpoint from before.

OpFlash is finally back home. One way or another, anyway.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Blodskur posted:

:toot:

GOG Support posted:

Multiplayer issue: multiplayer mode is available after registering your unique CD-key for the game.

To establish a network multiplayer game between two or more players, different CD-keys are needed for each player. Currently we're unable to distribute those keys through our web site, but we're working on solving that issue, and unique keys will be available for each customer soon.
Meanwhile, feel free to contact us through an appropriate form accessible at the support/contact us page. We'll gladly respond to your request.

:qq:

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Apparently it lacks the Red Hammer expansion, is that something I should care about?

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Mq posted:

Apparently it lacks the Red Hammer expansion, is that something I should care about?

It's a nice expansion pack but it's more the lack of Resistance that annoy me. :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Coulis posted:

It's a nice expansion pack but it's more the lack of Resistance that annoy me. :(

Resistance is in there, though. Or at least it's in the non-GOG version I have.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It was also recently added to Steam (€3.99/$5.99). Looks like it includes Resistance but not Red Hammer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but in my non-gog.com version the physics is a bit messed up from what I remember back years ago when I played the original(ie. Tank gunners don't correct for shell drop anymore so it's impossible to hit anything.)

jt1080
Mar 31, 2010
A little LTTP but has anyone picked up NoX off GoG yet? I want to give it a shot but afraid it doesn't hold up well like the Diablo and BG games do? Remember my friends LANing the poo poo out of NoX back in the day, but I was a consolenoob and didn't want to play it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jt1080 posted:

A little LTTP but has anyone picked up NoX off GoG yet? I want to give it a shot but afraid it doesn't hold up well like the Diablo and BG games do? Remember my friends LANing the poo poo out of NoX back in the day, but I was a consolenoob and didn't want to play it.
Go back a couple of weeks in the thread when it was released on GoG and you'll find plenty of endorsements.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Is this the right place to ask for help actually playing Ultima 4?

I snooped around a Lets Play just to get a feel of what I should be doing, and tried to recruit Iolo the Jester in Britain, since I'm playing a bard and want to go for compassion first. And he flat out refused saying he can't help me.

Is it something I said?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Is it something I said?
Nah, it's just that you are a Bard.
In Ultima 4, eventually, you have to form an 8-men party, with each member representing a Virtue. However, the Avatar is counted as one of the 8. As such you cannot recruit a companion that represents the same Virtue (i.e: class) as the Avatar does.
You'll just have to do without Iolo. :shobon:
This restriction is not present, however, in later games.

Edit:
if you check Nakar's excellent Let's Play, in Ultima 4 the Avatar is a druid, and as such Jaana is not recruited in the party.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

radintorov posted:

Nah, it's just that you are a Bard.
In Ultima 4, eventually, you have to form an 8-men party, with each member representing a Virtue. However, the Avatar is counted as one of the 8. As such you cannot recruit a companion that represents the same Virtue (i.e: class) as the Avatar does.
You'll just have to do without Iolo. :shobon:
This restriction is not present, however, in later games.

It's funny you say that, I don't think you NEED an 8-man party. I did it on my two play throughs, but I would expect it would be better to maybe go with 4-6?