Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

:smith: thanks. I didn't even notice that. Fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

I had a session with my sister and a couple of friends yesterday so that I could practice with people. I dunno how you guys do it so well. We went 2-3 hours before sunset, but the sun was so bright it was directly in everyone's eyes, so I ended up shooting in a shadowed area. I had my camera on Av with spot metering on their face (correct, incorrect method?), and it kept underexposing so I bumped up my exposure compensation by 2/3 or a full stop, and they still came out underexposed...sigh. I shot in RAW, so it wasn't the end of the world, but still frustrating. I'm also going to ask my sister to not wear a white shirt next time, as it really threw off my sense of proper exposure.

Then came the challenge of posing. Was that ever a mess...I had all these poses in mind, but once I got behind the camera, I totally forgot how to use my brain apparently, and we sort of just slogged along as best we could. I also kind of zone out when I'm behind the camera, so thank God our other friend was there to help make them laugh and smile and stuff. How do you guys handle poses? Do you direct the model pretty much through all of it, or do they have a good idea of what to do already?

Anyway, here are what I think were the best ones. We're going to try again in a bit when the trees have changed colours and my friend has a bit more mobility. Any comments on the photos themselves or processing would be very welcome!

Can you show me an original underexposed picture? Also, do you put your ISO in auto or do you set it to the lowest? I use AV + ISO 100 (most of the time especially at the time of the day you shot) + Spot metering (on the eyes) and the exposure comes out okay ;o

P.S: I think the pictures are gorgeous, your sister and friend should be very happy with them. :) The only one I find "odd" is the first one of your sister's set.. It looks like she's putting way too much pressure on her face with her hand. Other than that the composition and processing are good :)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

Can you show me an original underexposed picture? Also, do you put your ISO in auto or do you set it to the lowest? I use AV + ISO 100 (most of the time especially at the time of the day you shot) + Spot metering (on the eyes) and the exposure comes out okay ;o

P.S: I think the pictures are gorgeous, your sister and friend should be very happy with them. :) The only one I find "odd" is the first one of your sister's set.. It looks like she's putting way too much pressure on her face with her hand. Other than that the composition and processing are good :)

Sure. This one is straight out of camera. I had it on AV with ISO 400 because I was shooting in shadow with my 70-200 and was nervous about camera shake. I was using spot metering on the eyes, and this is what it was giving me, even with +2/3 exp comp. It's way blue, I assume because of the shadow, and I had it on auto wb. What was I doing wrong?

steph unedited by bernsai, on Flickr

And thanks! They were really happy with them, so while I still see room for improvement, I'm really glad that they love them. I agree with the hand thing. I didn't notice it until I was editing them, but I put it up just to have some variation in her poses and keep the amount of pictures roughly equal between the two. We're going back out in a couple of weeks so I am really appreciating all the tips! Especially to the two people who commented on flickr..no idea who you are, but thanks!

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I had a quick 5 minute go with my friend as we were walking around the market and we saw a wall we liked.
I usually enjoy post processing my normal street shots but I didn't know what the hell to do with these...

Posed Set by Clwn, on Flickr

Do they still look like snapshots? Which I guess they were.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Clown posted:

Do they still look like snapshots? Which I guess they were.

The shots themselves look pretty nice but man am I turned off by seeing him talk on the phone. It just seems like such an incredibly pretentious activity to capture, regardless of whom the camera is pointed at. Maybe I'm way off base though, so I'd like to hear other opinions on the matter...

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Mmm. It's such an everyday thing for me. Maybe this has turned it into more of a candid shot rather than a proper portrait? drat.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

From the same day -

This is sort of an interesting thing. I'm super happy with the actual image but I was pretty torn between the black and white and colour versions. The black and white is super powerful and I'm pleased with the processing as black and white conversion is something I've struggled with in the past. Ultimately I think I would go with the colour one as the main image because so much of the image was about the sea that it was almost a shame to eliminate the rich blue and the contrast of the model in it. Black and white sort of takes that away.

I really love the black and white one. I see your point and how the black and white one doesn't mesh well with your intent with the photo, but for me, I'd much rather look at that one than the colour. It's awesome! Her ribs kind of freak me out a bit though.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Clown posted:

Mmm. It's such an everyday thing for me. Maybe this has turned it into more of a candid shot rather than a proper portrait? drat.

It's not that I don't see it as an everyday thing when I see someone on the phone out on the street. It's that when I see it in a picture I always get the impression it's being used as a prop to indicate "important person* attending to important matters" and it reads as false. I think the well has been poisoned by a million and one Craig's List "photographers" who inevitably have a lovely shot of someone on their cell phone trying to come off looking like a VIP.

*real or imagined

My Flickr Page! :nws:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Paragon8 posted:

about it - https://www.500px.com/smread

Gotta be honest: Went to your website and drat if I don't feel inspired to shoot more. Also a little outclassed.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

Sure. This one is straight out of camera. I had it on AV with ISO 400 because I was shooting in shadow with my 70-200 and was nervous about camera shake. I was using spot metering on the eyes, and this is what it was giving me, even with +2/3 exp comp. It's way blue, I assume because of the shadow, and I had it on auto wb. What was I doing wrong?

steph unedited by bernsai, on Flickr

And thanks! They were really happy with them, so while I still see room for improvement, I'm really glad that they love them. I agree with the hand thing. I didn't notice it until I was editing them, but I put it up just to have some variation in her poses and keep the amount of pictures roughly equal between the two. We're going back out in a couple of weeks so I am really appreciating all the tips! Especially to the two people who commented on flickr..no idea who you are, but thanks!

That's 2/3 stop more? That's odd. Not sure what's causing that. As for the blueness well that can be fixed with White balance since you're in raw, which isn't too bad. I usually set my white balance to whatever it is outside (sunny/cloudy) just to see what the pictures look like and to give the model a better idea since auto white balance can be weird at times.

Also, I just realized that most of your pictures on that set are vertical instead of horizontal... do you have any reason why? I usually mine horizontal since we view life in an horizontal manners and it makes much more sense with our brain but that's me :P

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

I had a session with my sister and a couple of friends yesterday so that I could practice with people. I dunno how you guys do it so well. We went 2-3 hours before sunset, but the sun was so bright it was directly in everyone's eyes, so I ended up shooting in a shadowed area. I had my camera on Av with spot metering on their face (correct, incorrect method?), and it kept underexposing so I bumped up my exposure compensation by 2/3 or a full stop, and they still came out underexposed...sigh. I shot in RAW, so it wasn't the end of the world, but still frustrating. I'm also going to ask my sister to not wear a white shirt next time, as it really threw off my sense of proper exposure.
Or, use manual and look at the histogram (expose to the right, watch your highlight in all color channels).

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

McMadCow posted:

It's not that I don't see it as an everyday thing when I see someone on the phone out on the street. It's that when I see it in a picture I always get the impression it's being used as a prop to indicate "important person* attending to important matters" and it reads as false. I think the well has been poisoned by a million and one Craig's List "photographers" who inevitably have a lovely shot of someone on their cell phone trying to come off looking like a VIP.

*real or imagined
Would smoking cigarettes annoy you too? Should I just give up on props all together?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Clown posted:

Should I just give up on props all together?
Yes, do more like this:

T. by Clwn, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

That's 2/3 stop more? That's odd. Not sure what's causing that. As for the blueness well that can be fixed with White balance since you're in raw, which isn't too bad. I usually set my white balance to whatever it is outside (sunny/cloudy) just to see what the pictures look like and to give the model a better idea since auto white balance can be weird at times.

Also, I just realized that most of your pictures on that set are vertical instead of horizontal... do you have any reason why? I usually mine horizontal since we view life in an horizontal manners and it makes much more sense with our brain but that's me :P

I usually use auto wb and just fix in post because it's so easy to do, but you're right - doing it in camera would give me a much better idea of how it'll look when it's done. I'm not sure why I do a lot of portrait orientation...probably because when I think of portraits, that's what comes to my mind. I would like to play around with more horizontal shots though. I find then I get too much empty space, but if I learn to make it artistic empty space, it could work. I will try this all next time :)

evil_bunnY posted:

Or, use manual and look at the histogram (expose to the right, watch your highlight in all color channels).

I switched to manual for the ones that are backlit by the sun, but even afterwards in post, I was having a hell of a time judging whether it was under/over exposed. If I get it to where I want her face to be, her shirt is blown right out, and if I keep the details in the shirt, her face was too dark. I ended up doing some dodging on her face and some recovery/burning to balance the two, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. Also, I can't find a way to view my histogram "live" without using live view, and I hate using live view. Or I could view it after I take the picture, but it seems like even if I do that, and I keep my highlights in check, her face will still be underexposed? I imagine this is the same sort of issue wedding photographers have to deal with, and I think I remember someone saying they prefer to just blow out the dress than have the faces underexposed.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The face is definitely (usually) the most important part. I just like to keep my highlight blinkies on and if you have the histogram on for the brief review on the screen after you take a photo, it gives you a much better sense of exposure. Having said that, I think you're totally missing the point. If the problem is her face needs more light in comparison to her clothes, add light to her face. In the case of a backlit sun, a reflector or anything that reflects light will do nicely. Why worry about editing when it's so easy to fix the first time?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

nonanone posted:

The face is definitely (usually) the most important part. I just like to keep my highlight blinkies on and if you have the histogram on for the brief review on the screen after you take a photo, it gives you a much better sense of exposure. Having said that, I think you're totally missing the point. If the problem is her face needs more light in comparison to her clothes, add light to her face. In the case of a backlit sun, a reflector or anything that reflects light will do nicely. Why worry about editing when it's so easy to fix the first time?

Yeah, I was thinking I should turn the blinkies on for the review. I should have used a reflector, but I wanted to keep the setup really simple this time and just use the natural light that was available. What do you guys normally use for a reflector? I really can't spend any more money this month, regardless of how cheap a manufactured one is, so a do it yourself one would be awesome. Would just a piece of white cardboard work?

In the case of the setup where we were shooting in shadow, I'm considering buying a flash and diffuser, as that's really all I see that will help that situation, because there's no light to bounce back. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I could really put off buying a flash for a while.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Yeah, I was thinking I should turn the blinkies on for the review. I should have used a reflector, but I wanted to keep the setup really simple this time and just use the natural light that was available. What do you guys normally use for a reflector? I really can't spend any more money this month, regardless of how cheap a manufactured one is, so a do it yourself one would be awesome. Would just a piece of white cardboard work?

I know you said you wanted cheap/free... but I bought this 43" 5 in 1 reflector for 15$ on ebay and am pretty satisfied with it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120717859067#ht_4694wt_906

I rarely use it tho since I mostly work alone.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

In the case of the setup where we were shooting in shadow, I'm considering buying a flash and diffuser, as that's really all I see that will help that situation, because there's no light to bounce back. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I could really put off buying a flash for a while.

It's a bit blasphemous but I find reflectors to be sort of unnecessary. Same goes with a flash. You can get a lot of mileage out of natural light if you can really move around and place your subjects. Virtually everything I've shot recently has just been natural light only.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

I know you said you wanted cheap/free... but I bought this 43" 5 in 1 reflector for 15$ on ebay and am pretty satisfied with it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120717859067#ht_4694wt_906

I rarely use it tho since I mostly work alone.

Well $15 is pretty good :P I say I don't want to spend more money, then I convince myself that I can skimp the money from elsewhere. Oh photography...

And Paragon8, that is encouraging because I really like the light in your stuff.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The main thing is just to get consistent light. Since I shoot mostly in England where 9 out of 10 days the sky is a uniform and soul crushingly depressing grey you can really get nice light from it.

I do have a giant reflector that I've ended up using more for naps and rain protection than light manipulation.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Well $15 is pretty good :P I say I don't want to spend more money, then I convince myself that I can skimp the money from elsewhere. Oh photography...

And Paragon8, that is encouraging because I really like the light in your stuff.

You can literally use a piece of printer paper or a piece of cardboard covered in tin foil, or one of those car window reflector thingies. I agree with Paragon too that a lot of times a reflector isn't necessary (I often don't use one too) but sometimes the sun just doesn't want to cooperate and a reflector takes 2 seconds to make life a million times better.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Thanks, guys! I will put my creative skills to use and make one for this next shoot on the chance that I'll need it. Here's hoping for an overcast day!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Overcast days, or shade. Tree shade works particularly well on sunny days.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

IsaacNewton posted:

Just try to keep highlights out of your background if you're shooting from open shade. It's pretty distracting unless it's carefully planned out.

I'm in the Bay Area so I get another instance of "nonstop blanket of clouds makes a natural softbox".

My Flickr Page! :nws:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

IsaacNewton posted:

Shooting during the "Golden hours" is pretty risk free also... (~2 hour after sunrise or ~2-3hrs before sundown)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Printed this one last night, I'm pretty happy with it.

Maria in the Streets by McMadCow, on Flickr

EDIT: And another, same model.

Maria by McMadCow, on Flickr

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 14, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

McMadCow posted:

Printed this one last night, I'm pretty happy with it.

Maria in the Streets by McMadCow, on Flickr

Dig this one a lot.

I forget, did you ever post a tutorial on how you do your borders?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

RangerScum posted:

I forget, did you ever post a tutorial on how you do your borders?

No, but it's done on the enlarger. The picture gets masked off and then there's a lot of burning with a #00 and a #5 filter. Obviously an oversized negative carrier is used.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
These are a few shots I did recently in an old stairwell in my office building, using co-workers for models.

ms proulx by thetzar, on Flickr

mister rahmani by thetzar, on Flickr

ms russo by thetzar, on Flickr

ms montgomery by thetzar, on Flickr

I hadn't shot them intending to do the diptychs; if I had, I probably would have played with the format of them a bit more. Shot them as straight squares, then got the idea while editing.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

thetzar posted:

I hadn't shot them intending to do the diptychs; if I had, I probably would have played with the format of them a bit more. Shot them as straight squares, then got the idea while editing.

I really like how they came out! The processing/black and white is awesome.

Here are a few shots from a shoot I did yesterday :)

IMG_8872 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9032 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8882 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8994 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8732 by avoyer, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thetzar posted:

this is the weakest. Good model, but direct profile shot is weakest one.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

I really like how they came out! The processing/black and white is awesome.

Here are a few shots from a shoot I did yesterday :)

IMG_8872 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9032 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8882 by avoyer, on Flickr

I'm really liking these first three. The split-toning is working well for you, with the cool shades not distorting the skin tones too much.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

thetzar posted:

ms proulx by thetzar, on Flickr

mister rahmani by thetzar, on Flickr

ms russo by thetzar, on Flickr

I like these a lot. I like the feel and the B&W treatment. The only thing I would suggest watching out for is to make sure your subjects have enough light in their eyes.

That said, here's a subject with a completely unlit face...

Maria by McMadCow, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
First shoot with my new beauty dish. Tried some texturing with two of them, didn't really add to the third so I left it.

The first one's pretty boring but the model likes it. Shrug. I'm not convinced. Third's my fav.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

First shoot with my new beauty dish. Tried some texturing with two of them, didn't really add to the third so I left it.

The first one's pretty boring but the model likes it. Shrug. I'm not convinced. Third's my fav.

And I like the second one, even tho the cropping is a bit odd, oops. haha Cool job with the makeup/blood, pretty cool!

P.S: I can understand how she likes the first one, she looks very good in it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The zombification looks obviously fake. Find some way to make it look natural - makeup, or obfuscation, and they'll be better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Cyberbob posted:

Are these for some sort of joke?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Reichstag posted:

Are these for some sort of joke?

They were for a silly "Zombie pinup" runway competition at a recent Melbourne Tattoo expo. The Model jumped across the road to my place for a quick shoot before going to the comp.

Dare I ask why?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 20, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The grunge overlay, vignetting and zombification are all distracting and disconnected, to the point that they look like they're from a different image than the model. This is compounded by the posing, which is static, upright and unnatural: all things that are directly opposed to the supposed theme of 'Zombie Pinup.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think the zombie bits look good, but that's just me. What I don't like though, is how clean and composed she seems to be despite the fact she has rotting flesh. It's not "enough". I'm not really suggesting to add more rotting bits, I'm just saying it doesn't look like it belongs. Her smile is way too clean, her face is too "pretty", even if it's a "pin up". Her eyes are too "beautified" ....they should be darker, glazed over, milky, scary looking.

When I think "zombie pin up" I think of a pin up model in a suggestive pose with a freaky as hell looking face and something "off" in the frame. Maybe a limb or something, i dunno.