Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DogDodger posted:

The misfires were actually on a 4-year old VW. ;)

To be fair, that's not much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tonedef131 posted:

The whole swaybar broke in my wifes Grand Prix and I had her take my car to work today so I could fix it. Ended up getting new tie rod ends since I noticed they were wasted while I had it apart. Well they wouldn't separate from the inner tie rod end and since the rack has been leaking forever anyway I figured I'd just do the whole thing. Well 8 hours later I still don't have the last two lines off the rack and I'm calling it a night. I'm afraid they are going to round so I'm gonna go get a 18mm line wrench so I don't chance it. I officially hate working on FWD cars, at least this is the only one I own.

I couldn't get the drat thing off the driver's side, even after getting the nuts loose. Then I thought for a second and jacked up BOTH sides of the front end, releasing the tension on the sway bar.

*clunk*

:downsbravo:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Nooooooo, I left my nice deep GTI rubber floormats when I sold my beater. Man, it'll take $80 to replace them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/120758583399
And not even with the logo!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DogDodger posted:

The misfires were actually on a 4-year old VW. ;)

Stereotype founded in fact.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Edit: I'm stupid, sorry, just ignore.

Reasonerr fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 15, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I just got done replacing the R134a in my e34 with that ES-12a stuff (basically just propane and butane). I used the cheapo Harbor Freight A/C manifold and their 2.5cfm vacuum pump, which were both pretty cheap because I used 20% off coupons. I drew a deep vacuum on it for like 45 mins which didn't bleed down after I turned off the pump. I used some of the vacuum to suck up some fresh oil to replace what it lost, and then threw in about 21oz of the industrial ES-12a, as opposed to the normal 54.6oz of R134a. I ended up with about 50 on the low side (hot as gently caress ambient) and like 250ish on the high side.

The difference is crazy. It used to barely work at idle with R134a, and now it freezes me out of the car if left on the same settings I used to use. I can also feel a huge difference in the amount of power the compressor takes to run now. If my balls weren't frozen to the seat and a little green light on the dash, I don't think I could tell if it was even on or not. Overall, I'm really happy with it. A++, would fill with 21oz of pine-scented hydrocarbons again.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the wheels for my S10. Nothing fancy, just reconditioned 15x7 factory wheels but i've been after them for a while. Going from a 13" wheel with a 155/80 tire to a 15" wheel with a 195/45 tire will drop me another inch. I might go with a 50 series tire but honestly i'm probably going to stick to a 45 just because i can.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Nooooooo, I left my nice deep GTI rubber floormats when I sold my beater. Man, it'll take $80 to replace them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/120758583399
And not even with the logo!

Keep looking...I found a set of used OEM "monster" mats on VWVortex for $40 a couple years ago when I had my Mk4 GTI.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Finally tracked down a Bypass Valve for my STI, so I removed the Blowoff Valve and made my car stop sounding stupid.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

This didn't fit.

So I made mounts for it.

Now I have a front-mounted oil cooler that's more efficient and doesn't leak!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

MiniFoo posted:

This didn't fit.

So I made mounts for it.

Now I have a front-mounted oil cooler that's more efficient and doesn't leak!

Box those sections! Also don't breathe the fumes when you weld it, zinc is bad.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I have no idea how to weld, nor do I have the materials to do so anyway. I think that should suffice for now.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Put new plugs and coils in the RX8.

I have no idea why this picture is so wavy.

Throttle response and idle are much better than before.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

evilnissan posted:

Your phone was vibrating for some sort of alert while the picture snapped.

I put new inner tie-rod bushings on my 300M. Longitundinal FWD makes working on the steering rack something of a challenge, but it wasn't too bad thanks to the moog "problem solver" 2 piece bushing kit.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

evilnissan posted:

How many miles have you done before needing to change the plugs? And have you replaced/ upgraded the coils?

I'm only at 25,000km and my idle is very rough. I hope its not the coils.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Tentacle Party posted:

How many miles have you done before needing to change the plugs? And have you replaced/ upgraded the coils?

I'm only at 25,000km and my idle is very rough. I hope its not the coils.

I replaced the coils and plugs and I have no idea how many miles were on them. I got the car Feburary of 2010 with 70,000 miles on it and it currently has 85,000 miles.

My idle has smooth out by a good bit and has better throttle response. Power delivery is smoother and feels like the bottem end of the revs has some more get up and go.

No one around had wires or a air filter so it might be a week or two before I can get them in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Charged the battery after about 9 months of sitting. I was afraid it would be terribly sulfated and unusable, but it was sitting at 12.0V when I started. What a trooper of a battery.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Didn't uncover the Shelby. Again. It's been under the cover for weeks now, and hasn't been started in just as long... I should probably go drive it at some point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Smoked out the neighborhood Seafoamed the Altima.

It didn't smoke at all while I was actually feeding it Seafoam, it started smoking when I was driving it afterwards. And when I shut it off to hook the brake booster vacuum back up, the engine dieseled for a good 5 seconds or so, wasn't expecting that.

It's been pinging pretty bad for a few weeks, I'm hoping this will help. Dumped about half the bottle in with the gas (has a half tank right now). I drove it for about 15 minutes afterwards - if nothing else, the idle is much, much smoother and it seems to respond a bit quicker if I blip the throttle at idle.

If it's still pinging after this, I'll try a cooler thermostat and maybe drop down to cooler plugs. Maybe I can actually hook up the knock sensor soon, the car is almost undriveable with it plugged in.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
99 Buick Century Park Ave -
0) The rear and reverse markers on the trunk lid were not working but had brake lights.
1) Replaced all the lights as most were burnt out. No change. <$16
2) Checked fuses. No blown fuses. I say, "Wiring issue."
3) Wife says, "Oh is that why the trunk popper isn't working anymore." /facepalm
4) Check wiring starting from the lights back to the... hinge.

GM or whoever assembled this car decided to route the wire right next to the hinge and under the piston for the trunk lid. There is a nice knife angled mounting bracket with the hinge assemble and not a lot of slack. 4 of 5 lines completely severed. My theory is that the slack that was there got around the edge of that bracket.

5) Purchase butt connectors and crimp all 5 lines back together (5's jacket was torn) <$7

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Hatchbacks tend to bend their little cable too, I lost the CHMSL on mine once and had to splice in some wiring after it got hard and broke the copper conductors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

extreme_accordion posted:

GM or whoever assembled this car decided to route the wire right next to the hinge and under the piston for the trunk lid. There is a nice knife angled mounting bracket with the hinge assemble and not a lot of slack. 4 of 5 lines completely severed. My theory is that the slack that was there got around the edge of that bracket.

Toyota Avalons and Camrys suffer from this too - not so much from the wiring being run too close to anything, more because there's no slack. I don't think the Avalon uses pistons on the trunk lid, just a torsion bar/spring; I assume the Camry is the same.

Another 4-6 inches of wire at the factory would help prevent, if not eliminate, the issue. But :effort: and :10bux:

If the bundle doesn't have much slack after your repair, you may want to splice in an extra 6 inches or so of wire - adding enough split loom tubing to protect it, of course.

Mom has a 03 Avalon, and uses the trunk constantly on hers - I'm sure I'll get to tackle that soon. Thankfully my current car doesn't have any wiring in the trunk lid whatsoever (the interior release is cable operated, no lights on the lid)...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Moved the car for the first time in 11 months. Started it for the first time in as long on Sunday. So now it's by the garage, and I can start Getting Things Done.

Here's what I'm starting with:

Here's where I'm going:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Doing this paintjob:

It's not done, but close.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Doing this paintjob:

Radical change, but I like it.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Fitted new lights at the weekend including fog strips and some new side light bulbs.

Not sure if it's everyone's cup of T but I like it.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
looks like a space ship from korea

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Yeah I like my T without aviation lighting

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

RapeWhistle posted:

looks like a space ship from korea

Hmm maybe my post should have been in the "You put WHAT on your car? Stupid poo poo we've seen people put on their cars" thread :(

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

GhostSeven posted:

Hmm maybe my post should have been in the "You put WHAT on your car? Stupid poo poo we've seen people put on their cars" thread :(

you said it, not I

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Finally replaced that parking brake cable on the Elantra. The rust on the bottom of the car made the job a much bigger PITA than it needed to be. Hyundai had a recall on this car a couple years ago about the subframes rusting out due to salty northern winters. The dealer said mine was ok, but that hasn't stopped every fastener from become one with the body of the car.

This retaining clip, for instance, was my nemesis today as its entire back side was melded with the cable mount. Liberal amounts of PB Blaster, a screwdriver as an ersatz chisel, and a decent amount of sweat finally popped it loose. The three bolts holding the cable to the underside of the car were nearly as mean.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
1998 Protege.

Replaced one set of shifter bushings. Living in Guam has its benefits, but it also means that rubber rots away like a mother fucker, meaning every one of my 6 bushings are rotted the gently caress away. How the PO's never got the energy to see why the shifter moves 6" either way while in gear baffles me.

The other problem about Guam? Only one set of these bushings on the island. I need four of one bushing type, and 2 of another. They only had 2. So I just replaced the ones that are on the first junction. Even with JUST those, it feels a hundred times better. Definitely the best time/effort to reward repair that I've ever done. Now to get the other 4 bushings, master cylinder, slave cylinder, timing belt, and water pump done. If my parts ever come in.

Pic before install:

No after pics, but just imagine little green bushings in there stopping it from rattling so loving much.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I actually have a pair of those if they are the same as a 90 or 91 Protege, they're all yours. Oddly enough I bought them in Hawaii for my brother's Protege and didn't need the second set.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Finally replaced my wiper blades. It's been raining a lot lately and my old blades were streaking like mad and snapping since the blade portion was torn.

They had 50,000 miles on them!

Advance had a fancy Teflon brand for buy one-get one half off, which I took advantage of. And these things actually feel like quality wipers. The difference is astounding.

This weekend: oil change and pre-winter tuneup if I have time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

Finally replaced my wiper blades. It's been raining a lot lately and my old blades were streaking like mad and snapping since the blade portion was torn.

They had 50,000 miles on them!

Advance had a fancy Teflon brand for buy one-get one half off, which I took advantage of. And these things actually feel like quality wipers. The difference is astounding.

This weekend: oil change and pre-winter tuneup if I have time.

Rain-X. Believe the hype, but use the real stuff in the spray bottle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put a hole in the valve cover while commuting to work.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

meatpimp posted:

Rain-X. Believe the hype, but use the real stuff in the spray bottle.

Aquapel makes Rain-x look like junk.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Doing this paintjob:

You know what I didn't do to my ride today? Paint my wheels. The retard that last rotated my tires managed to round-off 24 lug nuts. I couldn't get them off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DJ Commie posted:

I actually have a pair of those if they are the same as a 90 or 91 Protege, they're all yours. Oddly enough I bought them in Hawaii for my brother's Protege and didn't need the second set.

They are indeed the same, and that would be awesome. If you'll give me your email address I'll go ahead and give you my info and we can discuss shipping and pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Aquapel makes Rain-x look like junk.

Reviews on Amazon are okay, but I refuse to buy anything that's "as seen on TV" branded. But if it's anywhere even close to Rain-X (or better, as you say) then you'll love yourself for getting it. I can't imagine life before rain-x type coatings.

Edit: VVVVVV http://officialseenontvstore.com/p/aquapel Just a personal thing, don't mind me. Don't care who it's made by.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 1, 2011